• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Probably asked but thread is way too big and didn't find this in OP.

With iOS6, I browsed NeoGAF mobile on my iPhone while always staying logged in. Now, on iOS7, it logs me out every time I stop browsing GAF on my iPhone for a long period of time (even a couple of hours). Any way to solve this?

Are you browsing in Private mode(is Safari black)? Turn it off in the new tab menu.

something i noticed while using ios 7.

Been opening up folders way less than before. Keep all my most used apps on the front page and spotlight search for the rest.

Requiem

Question for you guys, I've been hearing from some co-workers that iOS7 makes selling your phone impossible by locking the phone to one Apple ID; is there any truth to this? I've been searching and haven't found anything but maybe I'm not searching correctly. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Question for you guys, I've been hearing from some co-workers that iOS7 makes selling your phone impossible by locking the phone to one Apple ID; is there any truth to this? I've been searching and haven't found anything but maybe I'm not searching correctly. Any info on this would be appreciated.

The other day I logged out of my main id in the app store to log into another, was able to install apps fine then swap back still so that sounds bullshit to me.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

It locks it to your ID by default when resetting the phone. However, if you use iCloud then it automatically removes the old phone and adds the new one.

Nope. All you need to remember to do before you sell it, trade it, or give it away is to TURN OFF FIND MY IPHONE. Otherwise, yes, it will be locked to your Apple ID. This is to deter theft. Turning off Find My iPhone "unlocks" it from your ID.

is there a way to do a crtl + F type of search in safari?

Yes. Tap on the address bar, type in your Search. It will show a "Find on Page" thing below your suggestions.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Phone still has issues with locking up at the lockscreen and restarting randomly.
Guess I'll have to take it in, not sure when the warranty is up.

something i noticed while using ios 7.

Been opening up folders way less than before. Keep all my most used apps on the front page and spotlight search for the rest.

That's what I did in iOS 4,5, and 6

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just curious.

I have a Gmail account that I access from the Mail app. But everyone's complaining about having to use Gmail for Push. What exactly does this mean? What's Push compared to what I'm using? What does it benefit? Why is it important to you guys? Been wondering this.

DasRaven

iMessage has been really hit or miss with me the past couple days. Anyone else??

Yes, missed about a dozen iMessages from my wife last night. No clear reason.
She was on 7.0 and I was on 7.0.2. Updating her phone (or maybe the restore that accompanied the 7.0.2 update) fixed the problem.

iOS7 has been a mixed bag for me so far, most things work great, but many things are not as good as they used to be. At least WiFi syncing seems to be much more reliable than before now.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just curious.

I have a Gmail account that I access from the Mail app. But everyone's complaining about having to use Gmail for Push. What exactly does this mean? What's Push compared to what I'm using? What does it benefit? Why is it important to you guys? Been wondering this.
Push delivers emails as they come in. For GMail, this is disabled on new devices, eg 5S (thank Google's desire to stop supporting Microsoft's Exchange service). Fetch which you probably use, delivers emails in intervals of 15-60 minutes.

My personal favourite work-around to this which allows me to continue using the native iOS Mail app to receive push GMails is the following which I use on my iPad:

Gmail Push is not available for new iOS devices any longer, unless you have a paid Google Apps account (e.g. Google Apps for Business - and it's $5 per user per month or $50/user/yearly).

There are however some work-arounds one could use.

- Use the native "Gmail" app to solely push notifications but also set up your Gmail in the native iOS Mail client and use it to handle your emails (this would require you to have the Gmail app installed, not ideal).

The below method however is what I use on my iPad:

- Set-up auto-forwarding from your Gmail to another Email that supports push (e.g. your iCloud email). This will push all your emails seamlessly to your device. If you set up your Gmail in the native iOS Mail client in addition you can utilize your gmail.com address while using the iCloud account to reply to emails.

1. Go to Gmail web interface, then to Settings -> Forward Account and add your iCloud email to forward all your emails to. I also chose to mark emails forwarded to read, since I don't use the web interface much.
  2. Setup Gmail on your iPhone like you normally would (skip if it's already on there). But under Settings, do not have it sync emails.
  3. Setup your iCloud account to send using your Gmail address.
  4. Setting -> Mail, Contacts, Calendar -> iCloud -> Account -> Advanced Mail -> outgoing mail server -> TURN iCloud SMTP server OFF and turn other SMTP servers on, choosing your smtp.gmail.com settings associated to the appropriate gmail account. HIT DONE.

A few things about this setup... When you go to reply to a message, it will show as if it's sending from your iCloud account, it does not. It is just using the settings you just set that are associated with the iCloud account.

This only works if you don't really use your iCloud account and you only need to reply via one Gmail account. I had several Gmail accounts, but only respond from one, so this is not a big issue for myself.

This tactic shouldn't be limited to using an iCloud account however and should be possible with other types like Outlook.com as well.

Basically, the setup allows you to still receive and send emails, via a proxy push email, as if you're using your GMail account. It's seamless both to you and people you communicate with.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just curious.

You used to be able to add Gmail as an exchange account so it it would Push to the Mailbox app but Google turned off that option. (though i still have it on my iPad).

Push sends emails directly to your phone in the same way Push notifications are instantly sent to your phone rather than searching every X minutes/hours you have set.

iCloud, Hotmail, and Yahoo all still can Push to the mailbox.
Most others including Gmail now just fetch.

Why is it important?
I've missed deals because I've gotten people's emails too late.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I've seen this kind if issue before with iOS updates in the past.

My smart recently live playlists actually live update at the moment. I did gave to recently higher them a bit to get them to work during the weird buggy period - something like having to add a 'if media in playlist' or something, but recently had to take that off again.

Might be good idea to review your rules.

Ay, I've gone over them, deleted them and started again, they just don't want to work for some random reason. Could someone post their own rules, I've even started my iTunes library again and restored my phone so it was clean and it doesn't seem to want to get on with itself.

That new feature in OSX that lets you interact with notifications from it without opening the app is great, and was kind of disappointed by it not being in iOS 7. I even made a mockup of how it could potentially look:

Ay, one of the things I miss from using BiteSMS was being able to swipe away stuff from the lock screen or delete a message outright from a popup. I really wish Apple would just out right copy the app already, it was so much nicer being able to send a message from anywhere rather than always having to go back into Messages every time.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I can't seem to fix this. My iPhone says that the software is up to date even though it is not. When I try to restore it in iTunes, I get this message.

joAoWQCD1MMuV.PNG

mrkgoo

Ay, I've gone over them, deleted them and started again, they just don't want to work for some random reason. Could someone post their own rules, I've even started my iTunes library again and restored my phone so it was clean and it doesn't seem to want to get on with itself.

Ay, one of the things I miss from using BiteSMS was being able to swipe away stuff from the lock screen or delete a message outright from a popup. I really wish Apple would just out right copy the app already, it was so much nicer being able to send a message from anywhere rather than always having to go back into Messages every time.

I seem to have tidied up my recently added smart playlist. I don't know if it live updates, but it has my music videos.

My recently played is something like:

Last 50 played, not a podcast, live updating. Really simple.

Oni Jazar

SeanR1221

Yes, missed about a dozen iMessages from my wife last night. No clear reason.
She was on 7.0 and I was on 7.0.2. Updating her phone (or maybe the restore that accompanied the 7.0.2 update) fixed the problem.

iOS7 has been a mixed bag for me so far, most things work great, but many things are not as good as they used to be. At least WiFi syncing seems to be much more reliable than before now.

Wife and I are both on 7.0.2 and I can't send iMessages to her or anyone. I can receive them. It's really frustrating

Laranja

OK, so I managed to find the culprit in my control-center-and-notification-center-not-showing-up problem.

And it's iBooks. Whenever I use it, I have to restart the phone because I can't get either to show up. Seems a bit silly that an app by Apple would be the one to break some of the most prominent iOS 7 features, but oh well. I hope they patch this soon, because I use iBooks regularly.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Speaking of youtube, I've been having trouble getting videos to play with the app on wifi.

This app called Jasmine works better for me. I downloaded it a while ago to be able to play youtube audio and turn my screen off .

Majine

Banned
iOS still suffers from the stupid issue that whenever I listen to music and start an app like Youtube, the music switches off regardless if I have a video up on Youtube or not. Same goes for videos in Safari. If I'm not playing it, why turn off the music? Do it when I turn on the video! Geez.

Burger

did everyone stop using mailbox?

Been using that for my gmail stuff, been fine.

I used it for several months but ultimately deleted it for one reason:

It doesn't download your email. Sure it pushes notifications that you have mail, but if I jumped on the tube and saw I had 5 emails, I couldn't read any of them until they had downloaded once I opened the app. Pretty pointless.

Besides, I've moved away from Gmail to Fastmail now.

I used it for several months but ultimately deleted it for one reason:

It doesn't download your email. Sure it pushes notifications that you have mail, but if I jumped on the tube and saw I had 5 emails, I couldn't read any of them until they had downloaded once I opened the app. Pretty pointless.

Besides, I've moved away from Gmail to Fastmail now.

I don't use Mailbox anymore either, but I think they updated it for iOS 7 so it downloads your email in the background.

When you reset a phone with Find My iPhone turned on, you have to unlock it with your Apple ID/password. After that it's no longer locked.

Dany

Banned
My iP5 just turned itself off due to low battery although it had 25% left. Is this a known issue?

I had that with the previous beta, beta 6/7 where it would shut off assuming battery was low even though i had 20~% percent.

gamma

I had that with the previous beta, beta 6/7 where it would shut off assuming battery was low even though i had 20~% percent.

Okay, then it's definitely not fixed. I was using Fog of the World when it happened. After I turned it on again it was fine until I opened the app again later when it turned off again. Now it turned it on again and right as I plugged it in it turned off again. Fucking annoying.

Dany

Banned
Yeah, I would be able to turn it back on an use it for a few moments before turning off. But for me at least it was fixed with the full release of the phone.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
iOS still suffers from the stupid issue that whenever I listen to music and start an app like Youtube, the music switches off regardless if I have a video up on Youtube or not. Same goes for videos in Safari. If I'm not playing it, why turn off the music? Do it when I turn on the video! Geez.
I'd call that a problem with the YouTube app.

why doesn't iPhone Safari have inertial scrolling like other iOS default apps and like my Mac laptop? it's annoying to scroll so often, especially on mobile gaf

LCfiner

why doesn't iPhone Safari have inertial scrolling like other iOS default apps and like my Mac laptop? it's annoying to scroll so often, especially on mobile gaf

it has it but I don't think it scrolls as quickly with a flick as mac safari.

Not sure if it scrolls with the same inertia as lists in other Apple apps like music, contacts, etc. I think it's close.

amnesiac

Control Panel needs to have a button for cellular data. Whenever I turn wifi on i turn cellular data off so it's still a hassle.

whenever I connect my phone to a PC which I have already connected to before and said yes to Trust this PC why does it ask every single time. it should save the setting for the pc

EekTheKat

A workaround of sorts for quickly turning off cellular data - Siri can turn off cellular data. Siri can also toggle wifi as well.

Top Bottom