• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Noema

Question for you guys, I've been hearing from some co-workers that iOS7 makes selling your phone impossible by locking the phone to one Apple ID; is there any truth to this? I've been searching and haven't found anything but maybe I'm not searching correctly. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Absolutely false. There's a anti-theft mechanism that makes the phone require the previous Apple ID the phone used to activate after a restore, but that step is skipped by disabling iCloud or find my iPhone on the phone before restoring.

In other words, if you sell your iDevice make sure you log out off iCloud before restoring to factory defaults.

iOS still suffers from the stupid issue that whenever I listen to music and start an app like Youtube, the music switches off regardless if I have a video up on Youtube or not. Same goes for videos in Safari. If I'm not playing it, why turn off the music? Do it when I turn on the video! Geez.

Apparently I have a reading comprehension problem because I completely misread this post.

mrkgoo

it has it but I don't think it scrolls as quickly with a flick as mac safari.

Not sure if it scrolls with the same inertia as lists in other Apple apps like music, contacts, etc. I think it's close.

I believe it has a different inertia that ramps up after a few repeated swipes.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
How bout all them updated apps, eh guys?

*crickets*

(I'm so tired of seeing the old keyboard)

njean777

Anybody else having cellular data going up like crazy? I am on ATT and this month I used way more data then last with iOS 6.

NekoFever

The iMessage issue is weird because it didn't coincide with any of the updates for me. iMessage was working fine for a few days after the release of iOS 7 and then just stopped.

Askani

So, here'a bug...maybe it's been mentioned.

I listen to Pandora at night as I'm trying to fall asleep. When I wake up, I check FB or Twitter or whatever and browse the internet. When I'm actually ready to get out of bed, I close all the apps except the Music Player. I always leave it open with my Audio Book so I don't lose my place. Later in the morning when I want to listen to my Audio Book, I plug in my headphones and hit the play button on my headset. When I do, I get Pandora music. I confirm that Pandora is shut down but it just keeps right on playing. If I hit play on the headset again, it pauses, and if I hit it again on the headset, the Pandora song goes back to playing. When I unlock my phone and use the actual play button on the music player it switches over to that and plays normally.

This has happened two morning in a row and I can recreate it at my desk right now as well.

Anybody else having cellular data going up like crazy? I am on ATT and this month I used way more data then last with iOS 6.

I have. I never broke 2 gb before and this month I was almost over my 3 gb cap.

Number45

Anyone else having issues connecting to the App Store at the moment. Both iPhone and iPad getting "cannot connect to store" errors.

mrkgoo

So, here'a bug...maybe it's been mentioned.

I listen to Pandora at night as I'm trying to fall asleep. When I wake up, I check FB or Twitter or whatever and browse the internet. When I'm actually ready to get out of bed, I close all the apps except the Music Player. I always leave it open with my Audio Book so I don't lose my place. Later in the morning when I want to listen to my Audio Book, I plug in my headphones and hit the play button on my headset. When I do, I get Pandora music. I confirm that Pandora is shut down but it just keeps right on playing. If I hit play on the headset again, it pauses, and if I hit it again on the headset, the Pandora song goes back to playing. When I unlock my phone and use the actual play button on the music player it switches over to that and plays normally.

This has happened two morning in a row and I can recreate it at my desk right now as well.

I have. I never broke 2 gb before and this month I was almost over my 3 gb cap.

There is some oddity in the audio player. Not sure if it's a bug or just weirdly implemented.

It's like the pause button on the headset/control centre has a separate memory from what is actively running.

I get weird things while playing podcasts, audio and other stuff.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Quick question, how does iOS 7 run n an iPad Mini?. Could get one for cheap, but it only makes sense of the new OS runs fine on it.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Ok so I was in the iTunes app and suddenly it asking me to input my password which I do and then I go back to the home screen where it's downloading apps that I previously downloaded and deleted. I didn't go the App Store or anything. Has this happened to anyone else?

mrkgoo

Ok so I was in the iTunes app and suddenly it asking me to input my password which I do and then I go back to the home screen where it's downloading apps that I previously downloaded and deleted. I didn't go the App Store or anything. Has this happened to anyone else?
Do you have background app updates set to on?

It could be that. I mean, yeah downloading apps you already deleted could be a bug in the App Store - it seems to be having issues today.

I had that happen once, and I don't think it was an accident. Back before iTunes in the Cloud, the only way to get your music back if you deleted it was by paying again... or by begging Apple to let you download it all again. If you did manage to get them to do it, they'd grant you a one-time redownload of all of your music. One time I made a huge error when reinstalling OS X and lost all of my music. A phone call later, Apple says they'd let me redownload. They did. Next thing I do is look at my phone and it's suddenly redownloading every app that has ever been assigned to my Apple ID. Maybe it's a bug related to that?

I still think iOS 6 looked leagues better than iOS 7. Things such as the navigation buttons in menus were a lot nicer, and I LOVED the notification animation.

The app icons were better, too. Too much abstract line art all around.

Iacobellis

I still think iOS 6 looked leagues better than iOS 7. Things such as the navigation buttons in menus were a lot nicer, and I LOVED the notification animation.

I feel you on this one.

Apple-iPhone-5-Review-07.jpg

All-around a more sophisticated, mature look than what iOS 7 can show. I freaking loved how my iPhone used to literally be a miniature version of my MacBook Pro. The UI was super, super, super consistent.

ramyeon

Couldn't disagree more. I think it was aged, tacky and in desperate need of a facelift.

ShowDog

Question for people using iTunes Match. I subscribed right when it came out over a year ago primarily for streaming music to my device on the go. I promptly discovered streaming 256kbps tracks to my iphone 4 on cellular 3g was destroying my "unlimited" bandwidth (leading to warnings from ATT) and causing tons of playback issues as the connection couldn't keep up. And I rarely even used it. It seems like streaming one or two songs for a quick drive would cache an entire fucking album, which was idiotic. Also, streaming 256kbps track is fucking madness.

- Question is this - Is streaming still 256kbps only or do they actually do something smart and reduce the bitrate for cellular streaming (or at least give you the option)? How have experiences been so far? I ordered a 5S without realizing the Google Play Music app still hasn't been released, what the fuck Google? Now I'm considering iTunes Match again but it sucked ass last time.

Angel Gamer

Neo Member
I need an app recommendation. I want to put my art portfolio on my iPhone and iPad. This will involve mainly JPEGs (like 80%) but if I could also get videos and audio files to be grouped that would be great. So I need an app that will just hold and display everything for me to show off easily. I don't want to just put it in photos since it'll be mixed in with more not professional stuff and it wouldn't have videos as well and what not. Any ideas?

Vyer

Question for people using iTunes Match. I subscribed right when it came out over a year ago primarily for streaming music to my device on the go. I promptly discovered streaming 256kbps tracks to my iphone 4 on cellular 3g was destroying my "unlimited" bandwidth (leading to warnings from ATT) and causing tons of playback issues as the connection couldn't keep up. And I rarely even used it. It seems like streaming one or two songs for a quick drive would cache an entire fucking album, which was idiotic. Also, streaming 256kbps track is fucking madness.

- Question is this - Is streaming still 256kbps only or do they actually do something smart and reduce the bitrate for cellular streaming (or at least give you the option)? How have experiences been so far? I ordered a 5S without realizing the Google Play Music app still hasn't been released, what the fuck Google? Now I'm considering iTunes Match again but it sucked ass last time.

That sounds off for some reason. Would you have access to LTE now? I also have 'unlimited' through AT&T and stream fairly often (along with downloading podcasts from time to time and Internet usage) and I've never actually had any kind of warning from AT&T.

However, I've only used Match since I had an iPhone 5, so I don't know if something changes off LTE.

ShowDog

That sounds off for some reason. Would you have access to LTE now? I also have 'unlimited' through AT&T and stream fairly often (along with downloading podcasts from time to time and Internet usage) and I've never actually had any kind of warning from AT&T.

However, I've only used Match since I had an iPhone 5, so I don't know if something changes off LTE.

I'll have LTE now so it should be better. Also, I think ATT stopped giving warnings to users with unlimited about 6 months back or so. It shouldn't be as much of an issue, but I would still like to know if it is streaming at 256. The higher audio fidelity can be nice, but isn't worth the myriad tradeoffs on a mobile device IMO.

I am guessing this is already known, but I just accidentally found out that when your phone is locked, if you pull down the calendar of events from the top and just double click the home button, it bypasses putting in your password. Is this known? I have the latest update to iOS7 too.

Qazaq

Banned
I'm so annoyed they didn't put Location Services on the Control Center. Seriously, the RULER and CALCULATOR are there, but not the Location Services?!

Any way to fix this? -_-

gblues

Banned
I am guessing this is already known, but I just accidentally found out that when your phone is locked, if you pull down the calendar of events from the top and just double click the home button, it bypasses putting in your password. Is this known? I have the latest update to iOS7 too.

Are you sure you actually updated? I can't reproduce this at all.

You might want to restore via iTunes if you tried OTA previously.

Vyer

Yup. Sounds like 7.0.3 better come on down.

Top Bottom