• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Futureman

will there be any Swype style keyboards ready to go in the App Store tomorrow? I think that's what I'm initially looking forward to most. I'm on my first iPhone coming from 4 years of Android in June.

Regarding the iCloud Drive talk... It actually does work exactly as we'd all assumed, that is to be just like Dropbox.
Anybody tried this:

https://beta.icloud.com

There are options to upload and download any files you have stored in the cloud, and as it appears on the web it seems like it'll be accessible anywhere.
I just tested creating a folder online, uploading an image to it using my laptop Finder and downloading that same file from my desktop browser.
Works fine, exactly like Dropbox.

Can't open on iPad, wonderful

Enco

Regarding the iCloud Drive talk... It actually does work exactly as we'd all assumed, that is to be just like Dropbox.
Anybody tried this:

https://beta.icloud.com

There are options to upload and download any files you have stored in the cloud, and as it appears on the web it seems like it'll be accessible anywhere.
I just tested creating a folder online, uploading an image to it using my laptop Finder and downloading that same file from my desktop browser.
Works fine, exactly like Dropbox.
Don't see my self ever using it.

Way too limited in space and I doubt it will ever be as flexible as Dropbox.

Wait, Swiftkey is coming to iOS?! The default iOS keyboard is one of my most hated things about iOS so this is great news.
Yup. Exciting stuff!

Noema

Wait, Swiftkey is coming to iOS?! The default iOS keyboard is one of my most hated things about iOS so this is great news.

Swiftkey is one of the best things about Android; the fact that it's coming to iOS is fantastic.

It's also very comforting to know that if I ever go back to iOS, I can just load up Swiftkey and use Swiftkey cloud (assuming that it works accross platforms) and not worry about having to retrain it. Swiftkey just knows me. It's eerie.

sirap

Fleksy is also getting released tomorrow. Can't wait, it's hands down the best touch type keyboard I've ever used. Beats Swiftkey and Minuum imo.

Is everything as far as UI goes on the 6+ the same as an iPad, or are they selectively picking situations where they're using the iPhone UI instead the iPad UI and vice versa?

At the very least the home screen is different from both the iPad and the smaller iPhones when it's in the landscape orientation.

lexi

Banned
LASTPASS update is live for ios8. AW YISS

LastPass Safari Extension
Once enabled in Safari, LastPass can fill web logins instantly without leaving the browser. The extension gives direct access to the LastPass vault, so you can use stored logins or save new accounts in fewer steps.

Touch ID Integration
New setting to use Touch ID to protect your LastPass vault. Items that would normally require the master password re-prompt can now be authorized with your fingerprint. While browsing in Safari and launching the LastPass extension, use the Touch ID prompt to authorize LastPass to fill a web login. Only available on supported devices with Touch ID enabled.

Amazing. I love iOS 8 already, can't wait for my iPhone on Friday.

In ios can you set the notification for a text thread? I'd love to mute the text alerts for my fantasy football group-text. Mofos text nearly 24/7. But in ios 7 I basically have to turn off the default text tones completely.

Amazing. I love iOS 8 already, can't wait for my iPhone on Friday.

I can't wait for mine in October :(

*shakes fist at ATT*

What the hell happened to my airplay option on my iphone after installing 8? On my iPad (also on 8) it's still there but on my phone it isn't.

Guess it's back...not sure why it was missing...

lexi

Banned
In ios can you set the notification for a text thread?

Yes.

vfWwNSW.jpg

Guys, for those of you in the Beta, any pros and cons for having iOS8 on iPhone 5?

Hopefully it doesn't reduce my battery level drastically.

Majine

Banned
Pinterest has updated their app with support for share extension. Doesn't seem to work for me tho. Nothing happens.

Terrell

It's a shame SMS continuity is being delayed until October.

Seems everything that depends on Yosemite is being delayed. If October is the timeframe, that tells me that is the Yosemite release date.

Plus, the feature still has some hiccups to work through. Every time I start my computer, it goes crazy pinging me for every SMS message I received since I last turned it on.

It's disabled. But this sort of crap is exceptionally user unfriendly.

Unfriendly for power users, maybe, and even that's a stretch.

Enco

LASTPASS update is live for ios8. AW YISS
YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!

New era of mobile usage baby. So cool.

The next level would be Siri integration with all apps.

Dear lord it would be glorious. Would change everything. Siri is already great and this would make it a killer feature.

Edit: LP update doesn't work yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

ramyeon

Anyone else been getting notifications that get "stuck" at the top of the screen on the GM? They go away if I push the home button but I can't swipe them away. Only seems to happen every now and then.

Majine

Banned
One iPad issue I'm having on the GM is that the multitask gestures sometimes don't respond, and I have to toggle it off and on again.

GWX

One iPad issue I'm having on the GM is that the multitask gestures sometimes don't respond, and I have to toggle it off and on again.

I have that as well. Also, the notification center got stuck halfway on my lock screen once (iPhone 5s).

RevoDS

Guys, for those of you in the Beta, any pros and cons for having iOS8 on iPhone 5?

Hopefully it doesn't reduce my battery level drastically.

Both pros and cons are relatively minor for now; for all intents and purposes, it still feels like iOS 7. The major changes to iOS 8 are in the app APIs (for which no apps exist yet) and interaction with OS X (these features are only going live with Yosemite in late October).

You'll see a few tweaks and new features here and there, but nothing that completely transforms the experience, at least until apps are updated to take advantage of the new frameworks, which should be relatively fast.

As far as cons are concerned, iOS8 is significantly more buggy than the latest version of iOS7 is. Most people report improved performance on iPhone 5, but I've personally seen the opposite.

Battery should be more or less the same, as well.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I absolutely hate that there's no iCloud Drive app to be able to access and view all your files stored there :\

Top Bottom