• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Has anyone had iCloud backups stop working because it thinks your backup is too big? My phone suddenly stopped backing up because of this, so I deleted both my iPad and iPhone backups (leaving me with about 18.3 gigs of space free on iCloud), but I'm still getting a message saying that I don't have enough space to back up my phone.

What's even stranger is that iCloud says the potential backup size is only 7.6GB.

Its an 8.3 bug

Croc

Banned
Okay I've been dealing with this for awhile but I'm just now getting around to asking about it cause it's pissing me off.

I'm having this bug with the Messages app where it just doesn't register anything I'm typing. The keyboard recognizes I'm typing because it offers suggestions for corrections and for words after whatever I type, but nothing actually shows up. I have to back out of the message and reenter for it to start working again, sometimes multiple times. I've also had another bug where the keyboard just doesn't show up at all. That's more rare but whenever it happens I have to completely restart my phone to get it to show up again.

Are these known? Is there anything I can do about them? They're honestly annoying as fuck and that first one happens very frequently, multiple times a day.

I'm on Verizon and just upgraded to 8.3.

Looks like handoff works now which is nice.

But my question is, as a Verizon user I was typically forced to pay for hotspot access. Now it seems like I can access and connect to the hotspot after the 8.3 update.
Is this intended and hotspot access is now free like on most other carriers, or should I expect a bill from Verizon?

ramyeon

Installed the public beta and now none of my music is showing up in the music app. Just saying that default "No music" message. Ugh, anyone else have this happen to them?

Tried deleting it all and then adding them again - nothing. Can't get it to show anything in the music app. Just my luck.

Installed the public beta and now none of my music is showing up in the music app. Just saying that default "No music" message. Ugh, anyone else have this happen to them?

Tried deleting it all and then adding them again - nothing. Can't get it to show anything in the music app. Just my luck.

Happened to me too and a bunch of people on MacRumors. Sounds like it's a bug and the only way to get any music to show up is to turn on "show all music" in the music setting with iTunes Match.

Aw yiss.

I quite like the new music app, but it's kinda perplexing that its main bulletpoints have been on iTunes on the mac since 2012. OH WELL.

Shit's been a long time coming. If Apple made a ton of noise about it and it only came in iOS 9, I'd be more annoyed, but as-is it's basically coming along more or less unadvertised.

ramyeon

Happened to me too and a bunch of people on MacRumors. Sounds like it's a bug and the only way to get any music to show up is to turn on "show all music" in the music setting with iTunes Match.
Such a pain, I really dislike having music that isn't physically on my device show up. I suppose that's the only way at the moment though so I'll have to live with it. Wish I'd realized before deleting everything.

At least the Safari search bar seems responsive again, that was infuriating in 8.3.

Edit: Solved my gripe by just deleting all my iTunes purchases from my account, they can be restored later on once this bug is fixed anyway.

Ambitious

In the Messages app, I've got two iMessage conversations with my sister. One is using her phone number, the other is using her email address. Is there a way to merge those conversations?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
In the Messages app, I've got two iMessage conversations with my sister. One is using her phone number, the other is using her email address. Is there a way to merge those conversations?
I wish. I have 4 conversations with the same person in 4 separate threads because she's used 4 separate numbers. (Old phone, a free texting app for when she was on WiFi only, a prepaid phone she had to use for a while, and her new number.) So they're scattered all over.

But for some reason on OS X, the old number she no longer uses got merged with her new number in the same thread. So it's inconsistent.

I'd at least like the option to combine when it's the same person. As long as you can choose a default number to send to. I only keep her old number and no-longer used prepaid number in her Contacts item because I don't want her conversation to turn into just a random unrecognizable number. I wish there was a way to glue the conversation thread to a person instead of a number/email. So when they no longer have that number it won't become orphaned. (If you decide to remove it)

Ambitious

img_1417yjjb7.jpg

He's an ex-iOS engineer.
And he's right. Uninterruptible animations are the worst.

When I don't have much time, I usually just have a look at the two first pages of the GAF subforums and save each potentially interesting thread to my reading list. (I'd save them to Pocket if I could, but the share extensions are not available in the context menu.)
So I tap and hold on the first interesting thread and select "Add to Reading List". Then I swipe up to scroll down so I can read the titles of the next few threads, but it doesn't work. Why not? Because when you add a link to the reading list, it flies down towards the bookmarks icon in the navigation. You can't do anything until the animation is over. So dumb.

Same shit happens with the Homescreen. I press Home to leave an app, swipe to the left as soon as the animation of the homescreen icons flying in seems to be over, but most of the time, nothing happens. Because the animation is not fully complete yet.

And the most annoying instance is Notification Center. Usually, I just want to take a short glance at one of my widgets. Swipe down, look at widget, swipe up, continue what I was doing.
Well, when the active view is the Notifications view, I have to swipe right after opening NC. And again, I usually have to swipe twice. The first swipe is ignored. Because apparently, the bounce animation is more important than user interaction.

I wish. I have 4 conversations with the same person in 4 separate threads because she's used 4 separate numbers. (Old phone, a free texting app for when she was on WiFi only, a prepaid phone she had to use for a while, and her new number.) So they're scattered all over.

But for some reason on OS X, the old number she no longer uses got merged with her new number in the same thread. So it's inconsistent.

I'd at least like the option to combine when it's the same person. As long as you can choose a default number to send to. I only keep her old number and no-longer used prepaid number in her Contacts item because I don't want her conversation to turn into just a random unrecognizable number. I wish there was a way to glue the conversation thread to a person instead of a number/email. So when they no longer have that number it won't become orphaned. (If you decide to remove it)

Even if I have phone numbers and emails tied to ONE contact it starts separate message chains. So annoying.

Well, this sucks.

ramyeon

Quite enjoying the revamped music app. Although a small gripe is the status bar overlaying album art, it just looks so rough. Would prefer there to be a status bar similar to the look that the controls beneath the album art has.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I also really like the changes. But it's taking some time to get used to. For some reason it started repeating the same song over and over and I don't know why fully. All I did was add it to Play Next.

I really wish Apple would get over their "Not invented here" syndrome and embrace Android's "Hold for context menu" feature system wide instead of just in the browser and some other places. I hate the three dots for the menu on every item. For one thing they seem to be finicky and have a very small target. I'd rather hold and make the menu come up.

Also, why do I get "Make available offline" for all my songs when I already have them all on the device already?

Also, I wish the default "Playlist artwork" would generate itself from the song album art already in the playlist instead of just a generic gear. On the Smart Playlists of course. Normal playlists just show the first song artwork. I think for all of them it should show a grid of 4x4 random song albums by default.

I also really like the changes. But it's taking some time to get used to. For some reason it started repeating the same song over and over and I don't know why fully. All I did was add it to Play Next.

I really wish Apple would get over their "Not invented here" syndrome and embrace Android's "Hold for context menu" feature system wide instead of just in the browser and some other places. I hate the three dots for the menu on every item. For one thing they seem to be finicky and have a very small target. I'd rather hold and make the menu come up.

Also, why do I get "Make available offline" for all my songs when I already have them all on the device already?

Also, I wish the default "Playlist artwork" would generate itself from the song album art already in the playlist instead of just a generic gear. On the Smart Playlists of course. Normal playlists just show the first song artwork. I think for all of them it should show a grid of 4x4 random song albums by default.

This is a bug that people have been experiencing including myself. It seems that in the beta, the new music app doesn't recognize what music was previously physically on your device before install 8.4. I assume (hopefully) that it's something they are working on.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This is a bug that people have been experiencing including myself. It seems that in the beta, the new music app doesn't recognize what music was previously physically on your device before install 8.4. I assume (hopefully) that it's something they are working on.
Would it fix itself if I remove and re-add all my music? I'd been thinking of doing that anyway to use the "re-encode" option.

Would it fix itself if I remove and re-add all my music? I'd been thinking of doing that anyway to use the "re-encode" option.

Seems to be hit or miss for people. The biggest problem right now is that even if you have you music stored locally, if you lose your internet connection or put your phone in airplane mode, you will lose the ability to access it. iTunes Match is treating everything now like it's in the cloud even if it is acknowledging that it has been downloaded physically to your phone from Match. If you go into your music setting, make sure that you have "show all music" turned on or nothing will show up in the Music app.

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
I have this weird problem with my old iPhone 4, and it frustrates the hell out of me.
I had some issues with the syncing of my iCloud calendar, and after trying some different things I decided to restore the phone to its factory settings. iTunes said I had to disable Find My iPhone before doing so, so I did.

So after restoring the phone to factory settings it prompted me to log in to my iCloud account, because I had the activation lock activated... But I can't. The phone (and iTunes as well for that matter) says that I entered the wrong Apple ID needed to unlock it. I have no idea why it would say that, because I originally bought the phone myself and I'm sure I never used any other Apple ID to log in. It even says I have to use the Apple ID t*****@gmail.com, which is supposed to be my email address, but clearly something is wrong. And it's not that I'm entering the wrong password either, because I can still use it on my other devices.

So for the past few hours I've been trying all kinds of things, from resetting my Apple ID password, to restoring the phone to factory settings again, ... I'm at the end of my breath now. I need this phone, because well, it's my phone, but I have no idea what to do.

Anyone else ever encountered this problem, of know of a solution? Any ideas would be very appreciated ...

Edit: Ended up contacting Apple, they had to remote unlock the iphone, after which I could log in with the account and password I was using all along. Seems like it was a problem on their end. Glad they were very patient and helpful!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I like the new Music.app for the most part, but I don't understand how to shuffle like I used to.

Before I would open a playlist and scroll up and there would be a shuffle item I could tap and it would pick a random song to start with.

Now I can't find it. Instead all I have is a play button on the playlist icon that just starts with the top item in the list.

I want it to pick a song at random for me! Where is shuffle? It still shuffles after it finishes the first song, but it still plays that first song, which is actually the most recent song I've played since my playlists are all sorted by last played.

I don't like it. There was no reason to remove that list item. Put it back.

And also, move the playlist description into that empty space under the ### Songs item in the grey box above. Why waste that space?

mrkgoo

I like the new Music.app for the most part, but I don't understand how to shuffle like I used to.

Before I would open a playlist and scroll up and there would be a shuffle item I could tap and it would pick a random song to start with.

Now I can't find it. Instead all I have is a play button on the playlist icon that just starts with the top item in the list.

I want it to pick a song at random for me! Where is shuffle? It still shuffles after it finishes the first song, but it still plays that first song, which is actually the most recent song I've played since my playlists are all sorted by last played.

I don't like it. There was no reason to remove that list item. Put it back.

And also, move the playlist description into that empty space under the ### Songs item in the grey box above. Why waste that space?

Reminds me of my iPad 1 music app. For the longest time you could only shuffle having started playing a song. I hated it. Then they just moved to iOS 6 and left the iPad behind :(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I am encountering the strangest bug with the latest iOS 8.4 and Yosemite 10.10.4 betas where every time I load up iTunes and it starts (or ends) syncing via WiFi, (Possibly wired connection too. I haven't tried.) my phone starts playing music.

That's like the oddest most bizarre bug ever. Like how does a bug like that even get coded in the first place?

Edit: Ha. It did it again. This is such a weird bug. Is no one else getting this?

Whilst the sliding up feature is quite useful, the overall atheistic is quite distracting; there is too much white. The background colour for the actual controls is more often white whilst the cover art is limited to the top half of the screen.

I also found having the different areas of your music (artist/song/playlist) from the previous player far more intuitive than the current one which over complicates it.

ramyeon

Whilst the sliding up feature is quite useful, the overall atheistic is quite distracting; there is too much white. The background colour for the actual controls is more often white whilst the cover art is limited to the top half of the screen.

I also found having the different areas of your music (artist/song/playlist) from the previous player far more intuitive than the current one which over complicates it.
Strange, I have to say there is a lot less white space in the new player than the old iOS 8 player. Previously the controls portion of the screen was an opaque white, now it's a transparent white with colours from the album art beneath it, looks good in my opinon (Except that the status bar overlaps the album art which looks terrible most of the time).

The new beta version released today has some nice fixes. Music now shows up without having to toggle on show all music in the settings. Selecting an artist now shows a list of albums to select instead of having to scroll through them all to find what you want.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It only just showed up for me.

Off the bat all I can notice so far is in Music. Firstly, the Shuffle option is back at the top of the playlist. Finally. And secondly, it seems songs that are on the device have an icon next to them. Seems weird since all my music is on my device. So why not just show the cloud icon for cloud music and assume songs are on the device. Whatever. It's a tiny icon. But it sticks out.

I wonder if it still has the bug where it starts playing music when I sync with iTunes for some reason... Edit: Seems like they did!

I also hope it fixes the broken Sound Check option. I'm tired of adjusting my volume all the time. It used to work perfectly. So hopefully it's back to normal.

ramyeon

It only just showed up for me.

Off the bat all I can notice so far is in Music. Firstly, the Shuffle option is back at the top of the playlist. Finally. And secondly, it seems songs that are on the device have an icon next to them. Seems weird since all my music is on my device. So why not just show the cloud icon for cloud music and assume songs are on the device. Whatever. It's a tiny icon. But it sticks out.

I wonder if it still has the bug where it starts playing music when I sync with iTunes for some reason... Edit: Seems like they did!

I also hope it fixes the broken Sound Check option. I'm tired of adjusting my volume all the time. It used to work perfectly. So hopefully it's back to normal.
Oh okay, yeah, sounds like the one that came out a few days ago if it added the "On Device" icon next to songs for you.

I really hope they change the Music App player design so that the status bar icons don't overlap cover art before the final version. I know they won't though, but it bugs me so much.

Ambitious

From time to time, the Photos app stops downloading the original resolution pictures. The circular progress indicator appears in the bottom right corner, but it stops at exactly 25%. Doesn't matter how long I wait, it doesn't go further and the original image is never downloaded. Even when I move on to the next image, the same thing happens. It just stops at 25%.
Not sure how to actively fix this. Next time it happens, I'm gonna try closing the app from the app switcher.

Ninja Dom

Has anyone had iCloud backups stop working because it thinks your backup is too big? My phone suddenly stopped backing up because of this, so I deleted both my iPad and iPhone backups (leaving me with about 18.3 gigs of space free on iCloud), but I'm still getting a message saying that I don't have enough space to back up my phone.

What's even stranger is that iCloud says the potential backup size is only 7.6GB.

I'm getting an iCloud backup problem on iOS 8.3 on my iPad 4th Gen. My iPhone 6 doesn't have the problem and works fine.

My iPad simply doesn't back up automatically when in sleep mode, plugged into the charger and connected to wifi. There are no error messages or warnings like you get. Just the after warning that my iPad hasn't been backed up in 14 days. Manual iCloud backups work fine.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really hope they change the Music App player design so that the status bar icons don't overlap cover art before the final version. I know they won't though, but it bugs me so much.
That's so annoying. You can't even read the status bar stuff because it's usually white on light. It doesn't even have a drop shadow. Or at least not one dark enough.

Sean

Banned
Anybody use a Bluetooth scale with the Health app?

There's a bunch on amazon that all seem pretty similar

I use the Withings WS-150. It's on the pricey side at $150 but it works great.

It syncs to Health app immediately, their iOS app is one of the best, their website is great (lots of graphs and statistics and whatnot). They also have an API so that you can allow other third party fitness apps to get your weight info (MyFitnessPal for example). Hardware wise it's the nicest looking scale imo, and there's some other nifty features like it showing you the weather after you weigh yourself.

I use the Withings WS-150. It's on the pricey side at $150 but it works great.

It syncs to Health app immediately, their iOS app is one of the best, their website is great (lots of graphs and statistics and whatnot). They also have an API so that you can allow other third party fitness apps to get your weight info (MyFitnessPal for example). Hardware wise it's the nicest looking scale imo, and there's some other nifty features like it showing you the weather after you weigh yourself.

Thanks. Does the Withings app need to be open to send the data to the Health app?

pronk420

so with all these rumours about multitasking in ios 9 i was wondering if the iPad mini is likely to support it?

a lot of places originally said it would work on the air (not necessarily 2) only, but the original air is the same spec as the mini 2, so I don't see why it couldn't work on the mini, unless it was just a screen size thing. the mini 2 has higher pixel density than the air though so I think it could work.

were the rumours saying it was for the air just guesses? i noticed a lot of places are now just saying multitasking for the iPad and not any specific model.

neoism

so guys I have a ipad on 7.0.4 and was thinking of updating to 8.3 is it safe... with my system being soo far back it won't brick it or anything would it..? also it's just a ipad mini 2 16gb how big is the update?

so with all these rumours about multitasking in ios 9 i was wondering if the iPad mini is likely to support it?

a lot of places originally said it would work on the air (not necessarily 2) only, but the original air is the same spec as the mini 2, so I don't see why it couldn't work on the mini, unless it was just a screen size thing. the mini 2 has higher pixel density than the air though so I think it could work.

were the rumours saying it was for the air just guesses? i noticed a lot of places are now just saying multitasking for the iPad and not any specific model.

I don't think anybody knows yet. The guesses for iPad Air 2are likely because it has 2GB RAM and an A8X. Would imagine if it works on the original Air, it'll work on the mini 2 + 3.

so guys I have a ipad on 7.0.4 and was thinking of updating to 8.3 is it safe... with my system being soo far back it won't brick it or anything would it..? also it's just a ipad mini 2 16gb how big is the update?

It's going to be huge. Update through iTunes so that you don't have to delete anything, and just make sure to back up before hand.

As with all major OS upgrades, I would recommend doing a clean install (setting it up as a new iPad), rather than just updating.

Is it just me, or does your iCloud photo library not actually sync with the cloud unless you launch the Photos app or go to Photos in iCloud settings? My wife's 6 doesn't seem to be uploading its photos at night even when on WiFi and charging.

Ambitious

Is it just me, or does your iCloud photo library not actually sync with the cloud unless you launch the Photos app or go to Photos in iCloud settings? My wife's 6 doesn't seem to be uploading its photos at night even when on WiFi and charging.

It's supposed to upload them in the background when you're using WiFi and there's enough battery charge left (doesn't have to be actually charging). Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Clipse

Anyone with an iPhone 5c (Verizon) have or ever had an issue with the phone displaying the wrong time throughout the day? Been reading threads all day trying to find a permanent fix, but it seems like it's a hardware problem and my only option would be to buy a replacement since it's out of warranty.

sarcastor

sooo my app store just decided to be blank for no reason on my 6+. i can only see the update screen. i tried rebooting my phone, signing off/on, but no avail. any suggestions? I can go through my purchased aps but when I click on the app themselves i get another blank screen. I reset the network settings and that didn't help

lAwIgJo.jpg

also when i click on the apps i just get a loading icon with no reviews or info

IUGmw1l.jpg

ramyeon

New beta update out today, immediately notice that the Music app has been revamped a bit. Includes the new artist view that was seen in the Keynote where the background colour blends in with the artist image. Looks great for artists with pictures in iTunes' catalog but 90% of the artists I listen to don't. It used to show a cover art instead of a picture but now it's just an awkward blurred cover art.

Here's a comparison:

Ambitious

iOS 8.3. Mail.app inject kit

Back in January 2015 I stumbled upon a bug in iOS's mail client, resulting in <meta http-equiv=refresh> HTML tag in e-mail messages not being ignored. This bug allows remote HTML content to be loaded, replacing the content of the original e-mail message. JavaScript is disabled in this UIWebView, but it is still possible to build a functional password "collector" using simple HTML and CSS.

It was filed under Radar #19479280 back in January, but the fix was not delivered in any of the iOS updates following 8.1.2. Therefore I decided to publish the proof of concept code here.

Demonstration

Fucking Apple.

Ambitious

Interesting: I just realized that when the lockscreen of my iPad is blurred - for instance, when I swipe right to go the touch id/passcode screen - then the bottom ~8 lines of pixels are not blurred. Here's a heavily zoomed in and cropped screenshot:

img_0004yjp95.jpg

Might not be that apparent in this screenshot, but it totally is on the iPad's screen.

Top Bottom