• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm livid that the new unicode 7 emoji weren't included ?!?!?!?!!

Ambitious

The bug causing the App Store app to enter some kind of inconsistent state is still happening to me.
When I update an app in iTunes and sync it to my phone, the button next to the update in the App Store app changes from "Update" to "Open", as if the app was updated. However, the badge on the Updates tab (and on the App Store home screen icon) which shows the number of available updates does not change. And in reality, the app on the phone isn't actually updated at all.

And this Safari glitch isn't fixed either:

img_1376ghztx.jpg

mrkgoo

The bug causing the App Store app to enter some kind of inconsistent state is still happening to me.
When I update an app in iTunes and sync it to my phone, the button next to the update in the App Store app changes from "Update" to "Open", as if the app was updated. However, the badge on the Updates tab (and on the App Store home screen icon) which shows the number of available updates does not change. And in reality, the app on the phone isn't actually updated at all.

And this Safari glitch isn't fixed either:

img_1376ghztx.jpg

I've had that update bug for a long time. I used to always update apps on my Mac, and sync across.

But at some point they were syncing and actually updating but going to the app update section on my phone would show briefly open then switch to update as if I hadn't.

I switched to only updating on my phone.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For some god awful reason my alert volume has taken on a really low volume. And I can't figure out how to turn it up. I can't even hear my text tones and other app alerts.

Edit: A restart has fixed it of course.

giga

Up next and global search? Thank you lawd.

Now Playing has a stunning new design that showcases your album artwork the way it was meant to be.
I wonder how it was meant to be displayed

giga

So do you have to hold down on the "my music" tab to get the different groups, a la tweetbot? Not sure how you select different ones.

Looks like a lovely redesign. I'm just happy about Up Next being a thing (and hopefully being able to delete things from the up next queue in addition to adding things to it - I don't wanna hit the skip button nearly as often as I do and this'll be a huge help).

Really hoping there's Handoff support for this stuff in iOS 9/OS X 10.11, though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have some phantom "albums" in my Photos app that are left over from iPhoto syncing and I cant get rid of them. I have one for Events which has a single album in it and one for Faces which has all my people in it. But both of them are completely empty like iCloud didn't sync correctly or it just forgot to clean up after itself and I have no idea how to get rid of them.

Oh shit. I can't wait for this one to go public beta. How long does it usually take?

I have some phantom "albums" in my Photos app that are left over from iPhoto syncing and I cant get rid of them. I have one for Events which has a single album in it and one for Faces which has all my people in it. But both of them are completely empty like iCloud didn't sync correctly or it just forgot to clean up after itself and I have no idea how to get rid of them.

Oh shit. I can't wait for this one to go public beta. How long does it usually take?

I feel like they were on release 3 to developers of 8.3 before it hit the public beta.

I'm kinda taking this as a confirmation that the new Beats stuff is, in fact, replacing iTunes Radio (and good riddance).

Here's hoping that iTunes Match becomes free (at the very least, playlist sync should be free).

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
barf @ that design. I don't use Radio I don't want it taking up a tab. I hope the jailbreak comes soon.

GWX

Better than I expected, but that bar below, which includes the switches for music, playlists and radio, expands through the whole width of the app for no reason. The left column should contain those switches, leaving free space for content, similar to Dropbox's UI and others.

I'm kinda taking this as a confirmation that the new Beats stuff is, in fact, replacing iTunes Radio (and good riddance).

Here's hoping that iTunes Match becomes free (at the very least, playlist sync should be free).

I don't think iTunes Radio is going away, actually.

I used to think Beats would replace iTunes Radio, but lately the rumors have been that they'll coexist. This didn't make sense to me at first, but after hearing that the new streaming service won't have a free tier like Spotify does, I think it makes sense for iTunes Radio to exist as a free service to promote discovery. I'm hoping it and the new Beats share a tab on the iOS music app though.

I'm also interested in what they'll do with iTunes Match going forward... I don't use it currently, but it seems to me they've made the "make available offline" option very prominent in this release, hopefully it means some Match-related announcements at WWDC.

Better than I expected, but that bar below, which includes the switches for music, playlists and radio, expands through the whole width of the app for no reason. The left column should contain those switches, leaving free space for content, similar to Dropbox's UI and others.

Yeah that shit looks awful on iPad. Reminds me of an Android tablet app. Good thing I never use the Music app on my iPad.

Vyer

I've been using Spotify more for the last month or so.

Honestly, I think iTunes Radio is a better 'radio' than Spotify's version....

ramyeon

Is the custom image stuff only for playlists? Really wish they'd allow you to add custom images for artist view, especially for artists they don't have an image for.

LCfiner

The Up Next addition plus the new ability to choose to play only a specific album from an artist within the artist album list is making me salivate for this public beta update :)

The Up Next addition plus the new ability to choose to play only a specific album from an artist within the artist album list is making me salivate for this public beta update :)

Though the removal of swipe-to-delete in favor of having to tap the three-dots button is kinda annoying. Definitely hoping the UI keeps getting tweaks and improvements before final release.

bms2993

Banned
Okay, this is getting annoying. What is the POINT of recently deleted album in the Photos app? If I want to delete it, shouldn't it be.. well... deleted? :/

GWX

Okay, this is getting annoying. What is the POINT of recently deleted album in the Photos app? If I want to delete it, shouldn't it be.. well... deleted? :/

It's trash can for your photos. It will delete itself after a while, but you can recover stuff which you deleted by accident.

Vyer

Like GWX said, it's basically the Windows recycle bin. A safeguard from deleting something you end up wanting. Like the Deleted folder in email. It will clear in its own after a certain time period anyway, but you can manually clear as well.

Personally I never need it, but I've helped so many people over the years where such a thing has saved their ass I understand why it exists.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Echoing the above. It's a perfectly useful feature. It removes the photos from your stream and makes sure you can still recover them if you need. It also doesn't count towards your space and if space is needed it will silently remove them. It's a safety. Photos and videos will expire after 30 days if you don't manually remove them.

You could say the same complaint about every OS since the original Mac OS and Lisa OS with their trash can. Even iPhoto did it. Mail does it. Finder does it. The difference is Photos will delete them completely eventually. Until then it's nice to have a safety net.

mrkgoo

Echoing the above. It's a perfectly useful feature. It removes the photos from your stream and makes sure you can still recover them if you need. It also doesn't count towards your space and if space is needed it will silently remove them. It's a safety. Photos and videos will expire after 30 days if you don't manually remove them.

You could say the same complaint about every OS since the original Mac OS and Lisa OS with their trash can. Even iPhoto did it. Mail does it. Finder does it. The difference is Photos will delete them completely eventually. Until then it's nice to have a safety net.

Huh I thought it did count towards your space, as in local space. Pretty sure my mum was trying to delete out photos to make space and said it wasn't cleared until she emptied recently deleted.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Huh I thought it did count towards your space, as in local space. Pretty sure my mum was trying to delete out photos to make space and said it wasn't cleared until she emptied recently deleted.
What I mean is it probably gets deleted if your phone gets too full.

But I might be wrong.

If it's a big deal, just empty it manually when you know you deleted a lot lately. Especially with videos.

mrkgoo

It was shit. Even less functional than cover flow.

Agreed. At least cover flow was a neat "toy" to play with, flipping through your albums while listening to your music.

I wonder why they got rid of cover flow from nearly everything. I mean I get maybe it's not the aesthetic they wanted any more, but I wonder if they just ended the license robust it or something otherwise.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
CoverFlow is a remnant of the old skeuomorphic Apple. It had to die. I never liked it. I always hated it. It was always useless to me. And its replacement in iOS was just as useless for me and annoyingly always getting in the way so I'm glad to see it go. But that's me.

I never ever listen to just one album. I listen to playlists. Not albums. So it was completely useless since it just showed me pretty album art in an interface I can't do anything with.

I even used to use the iTunes screensaver but dumped it a long time ago for the Photos collages instead.

Anyway, I'd like to see some Music.app screenshots on an iPhone 6+. Surely it would be more like the iPad version merged with the iPhone version. Does it have a proper landscape mode on the Plus?

Anyone else have a problem of volume discrepancy between various apps over Bluetooth?

I have to turn my car's volume way up for Siri or phone calls and then way back down when music or podcast playback resumes.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well the other day I was listening to music in my car through the AUX port and my music is down to half volume for that.

Then I get a call from a random number and the ringtone is BLARING OUT OF THE SPEAKERS SO FUCKING LOUD AT FULL VOLUME.

God. Why can't iOS have a volume center like Windows where I can see all the apps that have different volume settings and figure out why some stuff is so low and others are so high. It's stupid that I can only control volume for whatever is currently happening.

For a while I was having Siri's voice super low that I could barely hear it even though my main volume was all the way up. And there was literally no way to adjust it.

There should be a registry for volume settings in Settings like for stuff like Location where when an app registers that it has its own setting for volume, it would appear here and you could adjust it at any time. It's completely stupid that it doesn't. Especially when people are constantly fighting with proper volume.

God. Why can't iOS have a volume center like Windows where I can see all the apps that have different volume settings and figure out why some stuff is so low and others are so high. It's stupid that I can only control volume for whatever is currently happening.

Was discussing this with a co-worker in regards to my previous post. It seems like iOS has multiple output volumes— say, Siri, Phone, all other apps, along with per interface— speakers, headphone jack, bluetooth. It's more configurable than Core Audio on the Mac out of the box, but with a worse interface (none, really).

And there was literally no way to adjust it.

After playing around with it today, use the volume buttons while using the thing that's set wrong.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
After playing around with it today, use the volume buttons while using the thing that's set wrong.
The point is, some times you literally can't. You can't change the volume when using Siri. And if you try to change the volume when the phone is ringing, it hangs up instead.

Plus the super loud ringtone while listening to music is obviously a stupid bug. There's no reason it shouldn't take on the same volume as my music when a call comes in.

And who knows about the Siri problem. Isn't she supposed to take on the master volume? Which I always have set to 100% when not connected to headphones and 50% when something is plugged in.

dream

Has anyone had iCloud backups stop working because it thinks your backup is too big? My phone suddenly stopped backing up because of this, so I deleted both my iPad and iPhone backups (leaving me with about 18.3 gigs of space free on iCloud), but I'm still getting a message saying that I don't have enough space to back up my phone.

What's even stranger is that iCloud says the potential backup size is only 7.6GB.

Top Bottom