• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

McHuj

Anyone's can't no longer working on iPhone 5?

I don't know if the update to 8.3 was coincidental or not? But my rear camera doesn't work anymore, it displays a black screen. Even in other camera apps. Front facing still works, but the toggle between them is painfully slow.

mrkgoo

I don't know if the update to 8.3 was coincidental or not? But my rear camera doesn't work anymore, it displays a black screen. Even in other camera apps. Front facing still works, but the toggle between them is painfully slow.

UPdating my iPhone 5 will tell you very soon....

mrkgoo

Updated iPhone 5 via iTunes, back camera still works.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
but when are they fixing Apple Maps? cause Apple thinks 20 Natoma is on Minna ave.

faB8Cx3.jpg

What app is that on the right? Because that is not Apple Maps. Just checked it on my phone and it seems to find it fine.

Unbelievable that Safari is still unusable for me and others, and I'm forced to use Chrome.

Which wouldn't be so bad if we could at least change the default browser. This is just insanity.

It's not just that it's slow to start up and has a 'fake' startup where it's not yet usable now - it never actually becomes usable anymore on iOS 8.3. Ridiculous. It totally breaks the OS because so many things forward URLs to Safari.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Glad I haven't seen any of these Safari problems on my Air 2 and 5S, shit sounds crazy annoying.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is it me or does the clock icon on iOS 8.3 have thinner hands?
Yeah, they're definitely a lot thinner. I dunno. I think too thin. Maybe something in between the thicker ones and the new thin ones would be good. But they work fine I guess. I always thought the thick ones were a bit too thick.

FerranMG

I've always hated iOS Safari with a passion. Tab management sucks, and it just devours ram. Can't have more than 2 or 3 active tabs.
The real problem is that the default browser cannot be changed. I really wish Apple would allow it.

I have been using the Dolphin browser for almost a couple of years, and I like it. Used to use iCab, but I didn't like the iOS 7 update.
Still looking for the perfect iOS browser, though.

jts

...hate me...
It's not just that it's slow to start up and has a 'fake' startup where it's not yet usable now - it never actually becomes usable anymore on iOS 8.3. Ridiculous. It totally breaks the OS because so many things forward URLs to Safari.
It's the same for me. I even tried disabling Safari from iCloud but no dice. (edit: now cleared history and website data like some people suggest, still no luck).

The absurdity of it all is just baffling. I am to the point where maybe I should just try and contact Apple support.

Iacobellis

Yeah, they're definitely a lot thinner. I dunno. I think too thin. Maybe something in between the thicker ones and the new thin ones would be good. But they work fine I guess. I always thought the thick ones were a bit too thick.

I think the color of the icon is changed as well. It's definitely not a complete black anymore.

It's the same for me. I even tried disabling Safari from iCloud but no dice. (edit: now cleared history and website data like some people suggest, still no luck).

The absurdity of it all is just baffling. I am to the point where maybe I should just try and contact Apple support.

Yeah, clearing website data, disabling Safari data/bookmark sync with iCloud, disabling Google suggestions, disabling Spotlight suggestions, disabling Javascript (lolwut), I've tried all of those and none of them have fixed it for me.

Deleting website data was fucking annoying because I lost a bunch of login cookies, too.

Maybe I should try deleting all bookmark data from Safari altogether and then redownloading it from iCloud? I guess? Ugh.

edit: tried it and lolnope. If this is an issue of some sort of corrupt data that can't be deleted and fixed through settings, and the 'fix' is to do a full backup and restore, I'm going to be really irritated.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think the color of the icon is changed as well. It's definitely not a complete black anymore.
Nope. Looks the same to me. (I haven't updated my iPad yet) The icon itself is the same black square and white circle with numbers. Only the hands changed from what I can tell.

Now we just need the darn weather app to show the right weather just so it's consistent.

Ambitious

Ugh. For some reason, embedded YouTube videos (at least some of them) display transcriptions/subtitles, which is seriously annoying. I assumed I could disable them with some setting on youtube.com, but I can't open the site. Instead, I'm redirected to the YouTube app without being asked.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, clearing website data, disabling Safari data/bookmark sync with iCloud, disabling Google suggestions, disabling Spotlight suggestions, disabling Javascript (lolwut), I've tried all of those and none of them have fixed it for me.

Deleting website data was fucking annoying because I lost a bunch of login cookies, too.

Maybe I should try deleting all bookmark data from Safari altogether and then redownloading it from iCloud? I guess? Ugh.

edit: tried it and lolnope. If this is an issue of some sort of corrupt data that can't be deleted and fixed through settings, and the 'fix' is to do a full backup and restore, I'm going to be really irritated.
Mine is seemingly working now, only thing I did after wiping safari data was restart the phone.

Will keep reporting on the status of this.

jts

...hate me...
Sorry, what was your Safari problem?

Since iOS 8.2 Safari stopped working for me at all. If I tried to type an URL or a search, the go button wouldn't do anything, I could just keep on pressing it. Eventually the whole Safari app would freeze and reload. Sometimes, the last website I tried to open would finally open but most of the times it wouldn't, and the app would freeze again if I tried to do anything else. Just unusable and forced me to use Chrome, as well as to remember to copy links from email, texts, etc, because if I just clicked them, they would open Safari and effectively not load. Nightmare. Pages from bookmarks wouldn't open either etc. Just broken.

Anyway, against my expectations that problem remained with iOS 8.3, so I tried to disable iCloud for Safari and clear history and website data (as per suggestions on the web) and at first it didn't seem to be working. Later I ran out of battery, charged my phone (thus restarting it) and it is finally working properly again at the moment, even enabled iCloud for it again and no problems. Knock on wood.

Vyer

Since iOS 8.2 Safari stopped working for me at all. If I tried to type an URL or a search, the go button wouldn't do anything, I could just keep on pressing it. Eventually the whole Safari app would freeze and reload. Sometimes, the last website I tried to open would finally open but most of the times it wouldn't, and the app would freeze again if I tried to do anything else. Just unusable and forced me to use Chrome, as well as to remember to copy links from email, texts, etc, because if I just clicked them, they would open Safari and effectively not load. Nightmare. Pages from bookmarks wouldn't open either etc. Just broken.

Anyway, against my expectations that problem remained with iOS 8.3, so I tried to disable iCloud for Safari and clear history and website data (as per suggestions on the web) and at first it didn't seem to be working. Later I ran out of battery, charged my phone (thus restarting it) and it is finally working properly again at the moment, even enabled iCloud for it again and no problems. Knock on wood.

Had you actually done a complete reboot of your phone prior to the battery running out?

I've always hated iOS Safari with a passion. Tab management sucks, and it just devours ram. Can't have more than 2 or 3 active tabs.
The real problem is that the default browser cannot be changed. I really wish Apple would allow it.

I have been using the Dolphin browser for almost a couple of years, and I like it. Used to use iCab, but I didn't like the iOS 7 update.
Still looking for the perfect iOS browser, though.

I've never cared much about default browsers because I've never found any of them to be decent anyway. Still prefer Safari.

Even on the Android tablets I've owned, where you can set default, they all generally suck. Mobile Chrome is pretty shitty even.

Ninja Dom

Most strange. Sounds like a re-install of 8.2 might have fixed it at the time. Lucky everything seems okay on 8.3. I browse NeoGAF extensively on my iPhone & iPad using Safari, and never had a spot of trouble. Really odd for you.

jts

...hate me...
Had you actually done a complete reboot of your phone prior to the battery running out?
I have an iPhone 5. So my battery runs out all the time :/

Average once daily.

But manually I also do it sometimes. Just yesterday, and by mere chance, I had to shut it down. That was before 8.3.

Vyer

I have an iPhone 5. So my battery runs out all the time :/

Average once daily.

But manually I also do it sometimes. Just yesterday, and by mere chance, I had to shut it down. That was before 8.3.

Yeah, then you probably would need to look into a reload, or a hardware issue.

Was your 5 one of the units that had to get the battery replacement?

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, then you probably would need to look into a reload, or a hardware issue.

Was your 5 one of the units that had to get the battery replacement?

My original 5 was at some point fully replaced due to a faulty battery (at the time I wasn't even aware of the battery replacement program, I just had problems and contacted Apple).

The current unit is not due for a replacement as I've ran the serial through Apple.

Battery is bad but I've made my peace that that's how iPhone 5 batteries get after 1 year or so.

It's way out of warranty but I recently ordered a new battery online to replace it myself this time around, so I'm hoping to get life quality improvements on that front.

But regarding the Safari problem, I've seen it around on the web on different iPhone models, badcrumble up there is experiencing the same (see a few posts back). As he said, it's probably a freaky data corruption upon updating to 8.2, and thus when it's fixed (by reinstalling or flushing the data and rebooting etc) it should stay fixed.

8.3 made my backup balloon to double the size and messed up all sorts of stuff with my photos. Still trying to figure out what exactly happened, really wish there was more transparency into what iCloud is actually storing.

Is there anyway to share iCloud storage with members of your iCloud family? Thanks to iCloud Photo Library I went ahead and purchased 200GB if iCloud storage, but I'm still paying for 20GB for my wife.

Some of the changelog:

Other changes, per Macrumors;

Thanks

About fucking time. My 6+ has been a buggy fucking mess. Messages randomly dissapearing

the worst offender is the battery and my phone heating up. I'm feeling a bit worried because when I first got my 6+ the battery would last me two days. Now I can barely make it through the day. Anyone else have that problem with a 6+? I'm wondering if I should take it back to Apple.

Vyer

thought for a moment that the new 'diverse emoji' weren't working on my phone. Didn't realize that only certain emoji expanded like that.

of course that may have something to do with the fact that I hardly ever use emoji

Deku Tree

thought for a moment that the new 'diverse emoji' weren't working on my phone. Didn't realize that only certain emoji expanded like that.

of course that may have something to do with the fact that I hardly ever use emoji

They also only work if the person your texting has them available on their phone. So basically someone with iOS8.3 installed.

Otherwise the diverse skin tone emoji show up as aliens on a iPhone with an earlier version only iOS.

mrkgoo

They also only work if the person your texting has them available on their phone. So basically someone with iOS8.3 installed.

Otherwise the diverse skin tone emoji show up as aliens on a iPhone with an earlier version only iOS.

So what happens if you want to send aliens? I means are the new emoji their own characters entirely or just a new interpretation of combination of old emojis?

Arcteryx

Is it just me or is the battery life a lot better with this update?

iPhone 6

I swear I've had a pretty noticeable improvement with 8.3 and 8.2 over 8.1/8.0. Seems to be steadily getting better.

Not sure if it's the iPhone "learning" what apps actually need juice during the day, or what, but I'm seeing a solid 10%+ more life on my phone after a day.

can we start an angry movement on twitter for the lack of diverse alien emojis?

Also, after updating i'm noticing a huge difference in my phones battery life. Feels like my 6+ again and not like a 5s like it was earlier

GWX

Mercury Browser does so much stuff that I thought they weren't possible on iOS. I mean, this thing has Adblock, it plays YouTube videos from different tabs in the background, and when you open an App Store link, it opens a nice pop-out window where you can download the app without ever being redirected to the App Store app. Amazing stuff, which makes me sad iCloud tabs is not an open feature for developers and that you can't choose default apps.

Ninja Dom

Thanks

About fucking time. My 6+ has been a buggy fucking mess. Messages randomly dissapearing

the worst offender is the battery and my phone heating up. I'm feeling a bit worried because when I first got my 6+ the battery would last me two days. Now I can barely make it through the day. Anyone else have that problem with a 6+? I'm wondering if I should take it back to Apple.

I've noticed this with my iPhone 6. Now, I commute to work and back on the London Underground (the tube). If I am travelling to work, doing something on my iPhone that is internet related, especially Safari, and then I go underground then the phone loses signal. No Service underground.

BUT the iPhone still seems to want an internet connection and I feel the iPhone warm up and the battery percentage starts to go down. I think the iPhone is throwing all it's power to radio receiver to try and get better signal (when there isn't any signal) and this results in the heat and battery drain. If I notice this then my solution is to put the iPhone in Airplane Mode for a while to calm and cool down.

My girlfriend is using my old iPhone 5S and at her work, phone reception isn't that great. So her 5S runs out of battery far quicker than when I ever used it. She gets home from work on 5% when she left in the morning on 100% and hardly used it. The phone is spending extra power to get better reception.

How is your reception when these instances occur?

Deku Tree

So what happens if you want to send aliens? I means are the new emoji their own characters entirely or just a new interpretation of combination of old emojis?

The new emoji are some of the old emoji with a new skin tone. You can still send aliens. But when you send an emoji that doesn't exist on someone else's phone then it turns into an Alien with a box around it. It looks slightly different from the regular Alien emoji.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well, my free version of PhoneClean has officially stopped working with iOS 8.3. Guess I'll have to delete that now. No more clearing caches manually for me unless there's another free alternative out there. It was nice to be able to delete the internet caches for Safari, FaceBook, Twitter and Tumblr when they started filling it up.

mrkgoo

The new emoji are some of the old emoji with a new skin tone. You can still send aliens. But when you send an emoji that doesn't exist on someone else's phone then it turns into an Alien with a box around it. It looks slightly different from the regular Alien emoji.

yeah. I figures it;s just identifying the old empji with a modifier that gets recognised to show whatever emoji at the other end.

I just thought it was actually using the alien emoji as the modifier.

Top Bottom