• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Hatty

Just installed on my Air 2 and it's pretty great. Slide overs essentially being the iPhone version is pretty slick and should make it easy for devs to adapt

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there any way to play youtube videos picture in picture at the moment? seems like it only works with videos that play in apples own video player for now

Not from the youtube apps, but yes utube videos embedded in safari (I'm watching a strange Japanese McDonald's advert while typing this). Also the video slides up when the keyboard comes up,which is nice.

RedShift

is there any way to play youtube videos picture in picture at the moment? seems like it only works with videos that play in apples own video player for now

Post the YouTube video to GAF, and mobile GAF will embed it in a format that can be PiP'd

Obviously this is not ideal. Does make reading threads about a video a lot easier though.

Tattooth

Photo%2009-07-2015%2C%209%2037%2006%20p.m..png

How do I change my time so it isn't lowercase, it looks awful?

(mat)

Stoked for the new Podcasts App.

I may be in the minority here, but I hate the current Music app. Haven't updated yet because of it. Let me have my artists/songs/playlists at the bottom plz.

Not from the youtube apps, but yes utube videos embedded in safari (I'm watching a strange Japanese McDonald's advert while typing this). Also the video slides up when the keyboard comes up,which is nice.

Such a great feature. Watching giantbomb videos in a window whilst posting on GAF. Feels like the future!

TheZink

It's been retry unstable on my 5S. I may need to go back to 8.4. It's crashing and lagging all over the place

So I hit the download profile button and all it did was install the feedback app.

Neat.

Edit: Forget to check settings. This is my first time installing ios betas

How do I change my time so it isn't lowercase, it looks awful?

Weird. Mine is in caps like usual.

Edit:
2015_07_09_18_01_48.png

Running on iPhone 6 Plus.

Liking it so far, but I can't say I'm a fan of the keyboard letters not popping up as I tap them. I don't know. Maybe I'll get used to it.

Downloading onto my iPad Air 2 but I'm going on my internship shift so I won't be able to test it til tomorrow. I can't wait.

RedSwirl

You can do both of those. Mail supports attachments from any other storage source that you have set up. Right now I can attach files from iCloud Drive, Dropbox and OS X Server.

As far as I know you can send a single attachment from within another app, but I haven't figured out how to start an e-mail, then attach multiple files to it if there is in fact a way to do that.

As far as I know you can send a single attachment from within another app, but I haven't figured out how to start an e-mail, then attach multiple files to it if there is in fact a way to do that.

Long press in the text area to bring up the options for attachments and formatting.

Majine

Banned
How do you activate split screen?
In an app: Swipe from the right to bring in an app on the side, then tap the divider between it and the background app.

If there is no divider, either the app doesn't support splitscreen or you don't have the supported iPad.

zigg

Anyone have a Pebble?

Curious if the public beta is going to work with it. The first developer beta didn't.

FatalT

Banned
Post the YouTube video to GAF, and mobile GAF will embed it in a format that can be PiP'd

Obviously this is not ideal. Does make reading threads about a video a lot easier though.

Is there a setting anywhere to make that work? When I tap on Youtube links on GAF it doesn't do anything anymore. I can hold on it and tap "Open in Youtube" though but then it opens it in the app in a separate window.

samn

Any way to use splitscreen 3rd party apps? Anywhere to sign up for testflight beta versions or something?

I just tested out safari in extreme conditions ( open the pics that make you laugh thread in OT community ) and the performance is better than iOS 8

I am also loving the font. Reminds me a lot of seeing text on a MacBook pro

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
lXGxqmV.jpg

So the icons at the top still allow for speed scrubbing of the open apps. But they should put those in a straight line at the bottom so I'm not looking around my hand as I scroll.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Have they changed it so the Music App is separate to the iTunes & App Store? Rather annoying having to turn on "Use Mobile Data" so I can actually use Apple Music but then have to turn Apps, Books and Updates off in-order to not use my mobile data.

Qblivion

the beta pretty much ruined hangouts for me. notifications don't work and there is a ton of lag in receiving messages.

is it possible to revert to 8.4 if I didn't create a backup beforehand?

iPhone 6 user here and these are my impressions.

Performance is slow when accessing spotlight. Perhaps it's still populating data?

The app switcher view is similarly slow. Beyond that, this view doesn't show you much of the app screen - something the cards of iOS 7 had.

Quick question: Where is the recent/favourite contacts that used to appear at the top of the screen when switching apps?

cjp

iPhone 6 user here and these are my impressions.

Performance is slow when accessing spotlight. Perhaps it's still populating data?

The app switcher view is similarly slow. Beyond that, this view doesn't show you much of the app screen - something the cards of iOS 7 had.

Quick question: Where is the recent/favourite contacts that used to appear at the top of the screen when switching apps?

Yeah, I like how in the current app switcher you can open it to quickly check text in another app and then go back to what you were doing. That doesn't look possible with the new one (I don't have it installed to see how it actually works).

And they binned it.

Yeah, I like how in the current app switcher you can open it to quickly check text in another app and then go back to what you were doing. That doesn't look possible with the new one (I don't have it installed to see how it actually works).

And they binned it.

True. It actually had a purpose. What does this new app switcher offer? Nothing. It actually removes a useful aspect like you mentioned.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, the new switcher is weird. It seems to leave very little room to close apps. And you do lose that ability to peek in on the previous app for a second since half of it is obscured now.

Top Bottom