• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

iPhone 6 user here and these are my impressions.

Performance is slow when accessing spotlight. Perhaps it's still populating data?

The app switcher view is similarly slow. Beyond that, this view doesn't show you much of the app screen - something the cards of iOS 7 had.

Quick question: Where is the recent/favourite contacts that used to appear at the top of the screen when switching apps?

It's in the screen to the left of the home screen all the way to the left... May take time to populate, I had to receive a text before it kicked in. You tap the contact to get the call/text options like before.

Siri-Suggestions-in-iOS9-search.png

The app switcher looks slick but I think it shows less than before?

ramyeon

I'm not getting sounds or vibrations from notifications when my phone is locked. The screen comes on and it shows, but now sound or vibrate. Works fine when the phone is unlocked and I'm using it. Weird.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I can't see why we can't get 4x4 on the iPhone too. Even the 5/5S/5C. Before iOS 7 we had 4x4 or 4x3 or 4x5 or something. The less pages the better. I have exactly 16 apps on my games page. That's perfect for a folder. It's like they won't because they want to have the large padded buffer around the "folder" with the rounded corners. Stupid as hell reason. Give me 4x4 folders! At least on the 6+. It's practically an iPad. It should be treated as one.

Still getting used to the horrible non-optional 4X4 folders; reorganizing is a PITA!

What 7 apps could I put here to complete the page? Yes I'm OCD.

Pokedex. Destiny App (if you play). I have a Scorepad app for board games. Maybe a Dice roll or coin flip app also useful for table top.

HUELEN10

Pokedex. Destiny App (if you play). I have a Scorepad app for board games. Maybe a Dice roll or coin flip app also useful for table top.
A link to that score app might prove handy. As for dice, I use Dice Ex on iPhone but it is not a universal app. Any good iPad Dice apps?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Proactive is hilarious. It shows a bunch of random SMS messages from last years summer, and suggests our 2003 team assistant who I have not been in touch with for over 10 years, also, a grocery shopping list from few weeks ago

EDIT - haha, it also shows news headlines in Indonesian. Thanks Siri!

hirokazu

They should make that proactive screen accessible from the app switcher screen. Sure the Favourites and Recent Contacts didn't make sense being on the app switcher screen on iOS 8, but it was quick and handy as fuck. This is a lot less so.

Enco

Just noticed Siri vibrates your phone when you call it up. Nice.

Edit: proactive seems pointless. Contacts in the task switcher was way better and more useful

kaskade

Doesn't proactive do some "deep searching" within apps? I wonder if we just aren't going to see much of that until the final release.

SuperPac

Doesn't proactive do some "deep searching" within apps? I wonder if we just aren't going to see much of that until the final release.

App developers can't submit binaries that have features in a beta version of Xcode. Gotta wait until the final, iOS9-supporitng version of Xcode. So, yes proactive does but AFAIK no apps can submit to the store that support it.

kaskade

App developers can't submit binaries that have features in a beta version of Xcode. Gotta wait until the final, iOS9-supporitng version of Xcode. So, yes proactive does but AFAIK no apps can submit to the store that support it.

Alright, thats kinda cool so we will still get some nice stuff when the final version comes out.

So far it runs pretty well on my phone. I noticed some stuttering when opening apps but there could be some indexing and stuff going on. Also probably just that apps aren't optimized for iOS9 yet. I figure with every new beta release it'll get smoother and smoother.

epmode

My only real problem with the beta is that the Youtube app will usually freeze when I click a link in Safari.
No alternative gesture for going Forward in Safari?

I read that there was one but I haven't been able to figure it out. Might not be enabled for some reason.

Tarkus

i know it's the beta but anyone noticing improved stability with the 6+? Especially in Safari. I just want to know if it's still a mess or not.
Definitely. I've put iOS 9 through hell today. Gifs in iMessage, Facebook messenger, and Giphy app all day. No crashes yet, which are typical with that load. Phone is hot though but that is normal.

News is such total garbage compared even to something like Feedly right now.

Just give me a linear RSS reader (that downloads updates in the background + pushes occasional notifications) plus my saved offline Reading List, thanks. The strong emphasis on trying to push CNN and the Apple News Format stuff is such garbage.

I could get it to go forward then I try to replicate it and it doesn't work all the time

It''s like swiping back from the right edge then doing the normal forward, thumb slides right then left.

The iPad Mini (Gen 1) doesn't seem to support drawing mode in the new Notes app.

Also, Apple News doesn't let you save content to Pocket. I saved a story earlier today and when i went to check, all that showed up in Pocket was an article titled "Apple News is coming soon!". Hopefully that's some temporary shit, because I'm not touching it if I can't use it with Pocket.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Updated my iPhone 6. Runs flawlessly so far.

Is there a way to add custom News sources yet outside of searching and hoping it finds it as a channel?

GWX

Updated my iPhone 6. Runs flawlessly so far.

Is there a way to add custom News sources yet outside of searching and hoping it finds it as a channel?

There's a share sheet option in Safari called "add to News". It's supposed to work with any RSS thread. I managed to add 9to5Mac and Touch Arcade, but MacRumors doesn't seem to work - the news app gives me an error.

Enco

The clock lags and takes a second to load up. Surprisingly annoying.

Proactive is far too slow and basic to be useful.

From macrumors features list

Build: 13A4293g

Issues:
Volume buttons do not activate camera shutter
Status bar appears too late when going to the home screen from an app (pop-in).
Left swipe Spotlight Search bar misaligned - too high (Seen on 6 Plus) - align correctly if doing search, and after that, all goes normal.
Camera icon on iPhone lock screen missing but present on iPad (iPhone 5, 5s, 6 camera icon is there)
Not possible to remove connect tab in music tab using restriction. If you had removed previously, disabling restrictions does not bring back Connect.
AirPlay doesn't work under certain circumstances.
On Messages, tapping on a thread makes the text box background flash gray for a second before going to normal [carried over from b1 and b2]
Unable to delete past iCloud backups [carried over from b1 and b2]
Weather app - Days of the week text appears to be slightly cropped off on the left as well as the times of the day. (on Tuesday and Wednesday, the cut off piece is added to the end of the word)
In settings app, sometimes title and back button description will display incorrect information, and simply tapping on that back button will do nothing, since current item is not what back button description indicate. What's worse, sometimes title bar will not work properly since there is no back button and correct description.
If reminder is set based on context, and reminder content is to remind user browsing a certain webpage, previously in beta 2, there would be a search icon followed with reminder itself, now there is only a blank icon.
Restoring from iCloud Backup restores apps but it doesn't restore any user app data.
Battery life goes horrible again, presumably. Tested on iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 Plus, but battery performance is simply horrible. Such horrible performance seems affect iPad as well.
Tapping on Music under storage in settings crashes the settings app.
Siri for texting isnt working after switching keyboard to another language. Just sits there and iPhone randomly starts to vibrate moments later
iPhone 6 - Siri will vibrate, but will not play the distinctive sound. It will, however, play the sound when headphones are connected or connected to a bluetooth speaker.
3G / 4G internet access disconnects randomly. Requires a network reset to fix it when it occurs.
Random text message disappear in Facebook Messenger. A blank text bubble is shown. Restarting the app or the phone does not help. EDIT: Reinstalling the app seems to fix the problem.
"Quick reply" of Messages from notification center freezes (randomly perhaps?). Pressing the home button does not help. Only a hard reset can solve the problem.
EE UK Wi-fi calling not working.

Changes:
Adds News app (only available if region is set to the US, although there are more countries to be supported at launch. Japan is not available for example. Set Region under Settings > General > Region to United States and reboot to show the app)
New Selfies folder in Photos
New folder for screenshots in Photos
Stream High Quality option in Music Settings
Folders on iPad now use a 4x4 layout
Adds support for all applications in Spotlight Search
New icons for swipe options in Mail app.
New Siri icon under General > Restrictions
New wording for Suggested Apps toggles in iTunes and App Store settings
New icon in Usage screen to toggle additional usage details in minutes
Maps now offers suggestions for quicker routes even after navigation has begun
App back button fades after 2 minutes
Proactive page news section link will only respond when News app is activated. Clicking the link will bring user right to news app to read it. In beta 1, users will be redirected to safari in order to read it.
Music app now can create playlist normally, even there is no existing playlist available on device. Unfortunately, it is still not possible to "create playlist based on selection", like what iTunes does.
Health App-Blood Pressure:Recorded high/low pressures now show as arrows versus circles.
New assistive touch setting. You can now add/remove pop up toggles. Leaving only one home button toggle will create an on screen home button.

Top Bottom