• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

dallow_bg

nods at old men
on ipad? no.................

There is. A few responded after I posted that with how to do it.
Basically a short left slide from the right edge, then slide right again off the edge.

And you can't do it from the middle area where the slide over tab appears.

This is not the case for me. I still have "Return" on the keyboard for new lines and "Send" on the row above the keyboard.

vIYygtH.jpg

Return does 'send' in Messages but only using an external keyboard.

To skip a line (like pressing return on the on screen keyboard) it is alt/option + return

I'm fine with this behavior.

edit: although hopefully it becomes consistent. Messages and Hangouts it is Return to send. In Facebook Messenger it is Command + Return to send.

I updated last night and finally had a full day with the public beta. Messages give me a weird color change of the "Text Message" box whenever I open a new thread, but I'll get over it. Other than that, I'm really liking it.

...except that I bought a Nike Fuelband recently and the app doesn't work in the beta. :<<<<<<<<<<

Everytime I update to a Beta it fucks up the order of my photos by altering the data they were taken. I have stuff from a year ago now at the front of my albums with the metadata recording them having being taken a few days ago.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The beta version of ios9 safari runs pretty poorly on my ipad air. Ram issue?
Runs fine on mine. How long ago did you upgrade? I swear my Air took almost a whole day to index. Since then it's been fine though. Even Music is less awful. (Though still nowhere near my iPhone 6)
Everytime I update to a Beta it fucks up the order of my photos by altering the data they were taken. I have stuff from a year ago now at the front of my albums with the metadata recording them having being taken a few days ago.
Are you running iCloud Photo Library?

Tarkus

Just had a weird screen blackout and freeze up on an iPhone 6 plus. I thought I was going to have to restore from a backup. Thankfully I could reset by holding the power and home buttons. Phew...thought my phone was bricked.

gimmmick

Beta or not, a little disappointed that my 5s is sluggish now :(

I also installed iOS 9 on my air 2 and the thing is really smooth. News app is constantly crashing , and I can't get the PiP feature to work for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There is. A few responded after I posted that with how to do it.
Basically a short left slide from the right edge, then slide right again off the edge.

And you can't do it from the middle area where the slide over tab appears.

Can't get this working at all?

Considering you have to swipe fromthe centre of the edge of the screen for slideover, and swiping anywhere else just pops out that annoying 'you need to swipe here' tab, why not just let you swipe in the centre for slideover, and anywhere else for page-forward?

Deku Tree

Oh so the iOS9 beta turned on iClould backup when it had previously been off. And now it's not letting me delete my backup. Hopefully it works later on.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I am having all sorts of issues with embedded video playback just giving a black screen and no actual video. I have to reload it several times to get the picture to load in.

Anyone having problems with plex?

Yeh, plex is known broken with iOS9 currently. Every other iOS beta I've installed has broken it as well.

Typically, it's never been resolved until the iOS release comes out properly either. Will be interesting to see how companies with broken apps respond to the public beta due to the fact its going to be a lot more wide-spread this time around.

Personally, I still think if you install the beta you have to expect some shit to be broken right up to the proper release date, but I can imagine a lot of companies with apps that don't work under iOS9 getting a lot of social media heat for it due to the public beta availability and an increased install base.

Well considering the behavior itself isn't a hole, and your problem is with shitty ads, I'm guessing not.

The behavior itself isn't since they need a way of loading the App Store from browsers, but even iOS8 had tried to implement safeguards in place that were supposed to prevent it (but were quickly outwitted anyway). They'll need to do something at the OS level to manage those calls that load the App Store (like allowing users to force prompts or even blocking browser redirects to the App Store - my preference the latter).

So many times I'm trying to read an article, and the ads keep redirecting me to download words with friends or some other app. I'd close App Store and go back to Safari, have to press back on the browser and reclick the link only to get hit with the same words with friends ad again. Like 7 times in a row.

There was a workaround using guidance, but that completely blocks anything else from disturbing your browser (ie no notifications, calls, etc).

hirokazu

Return does 'send' in Messages but only using an external keyboard.

To skip a line (like pressing return on the on screen keyboard) it is alt/option + return

I'm fine with this behavior.
Well that's exactly how it works with Messsages on OS X so if they changed it for physical keyboards, it was to make it consistent between OSes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wish PIP let you resize things more. On an iPad I'd like to fill the bottom of the screen and then use the top for browsing etc. Split view would have been good for that, except it forces left/right split. For video watching (my guess would be a lot of people will use it for that), top/bottom split in portrait would be more usable.

Any chance they change that? Seems to me that any app that wants to run in landscape, like smart glass and others, would also be better suited to a top/bottom split. Otherwise will they just run in a tiny landscape window on the left/right of the screen?

RedShift

How long until developers are allowed to release apps for iOS 9? I'm really looking forward to split screening non Apple apps, and PiP Netflix/iPlayer.

iOS 9 beta 5 new features which people know about. More will be seen when its officially released

- Bug Fixes
- New Wallpapers
- WIFI calling on AT&T
- Shuffle ALL option in Apple Music
- Keyboard has been tweaked in iPhone with changes to Shift and Backspace keys
- Handoff functionality has been changed. Only Installed Apps are shown as suggestions in Lock screen
- Siri Suggestions has changed to only show icons for calling and messaging and removing the labels
- Wifi animation has changed. previously bars went from full to none and now it fades to gray before disappearing

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/08/06/ios-9-beta-5-tidbits/

These

SuperPac

So the final release hits probably around 10 am PST - will be interesting to see what devs have done with ReplayKit in games (if any), content blockers, and Watch complications. Bring on the flood of app updates!

NekoFever

So the final release hits probably around 10 am PST - will be interesting to see what devs have done with ReplayKit in games (if any), content blockers, and Watch complications. Bring on the flood of app updates!

I had 23 this morning and it's not even lunchtime.

I have a feeling that deep search integration is going to be iOS 9's Extensions Support, where few apps support it on day one. I'm interested in seeing the practicality of the feature.

So far I've only seen one app update to include support for it but I'm hopeful that it will become a really useful feature.

So far I've only seen one app update to include support for it but I'm hopeful that it will become a really useful feature.

The Outlook app (which I dislike, and would rather use OWA over) was just updated with this, and it's pretty awesome. Spotlight will now show all my e-mails and events from the Outlook app as well. I might actually start using Spotlight all the time once all my apps are updated.

Unfortunately, I can't get Siri to find the same e-mails that Spotlight could find, so that's a missed opportunity, or requires a phrasing that isn't obvious to me.

ZeroX03

Banned
Really hope iOS9 fixes up the music app and how Apple Music interacts with Siri. That it searches Apple Music for songs before my local library is absurd.

Really hope iOS9 fixes up the music app and how Apple Music interacts with Siri. That it searches Apple Music for songs before my local library is absurd.

Yup. This is a problem.

Know what else is a problem? Seemingly starting with iOS 8.4.1, if you have a weak/non-LTE cellular signal, Apple Music won't play back through accessories (such as non-CarPlay car stereos), until you put the phone in Airplane mode, or some data download completes from Apple Music.

I can't be the only one who starts their day in an underground parking garage...

Eklesp

Muting Siri with the mute switch is great. I hate that you can be muted but if you hold the home button down it will still beep. Will have to check this stuff out once 9 is out.

Squalor

I've been using iOS 9 since July.

All the best features are pretty iPhone 6S exclusive. Can't wait to get my phone next week.

Massa

If all I care about is battery life should I update to iOS 9? I heard some people had much worse in the beta.

Top Bottom