• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

Not sure if this is the place to post this or the OS X app thread since it kind of involves both, but I'll try here first. I finally feel the need to purchase a password management apps that will sync between iOS and OS X. It seems like 1Password and DataVault are the two most popular solutions. Anyone have experience on which one I should go with? 1Password is quite a bit more expensive, but seems to have some useful features that DataVault doesn't. Is it worth the extra money for 1Password?

Anyone here use mercury browser for opening torrent files? Safary (with download manager) seems to be able to save them as a recogniseable torrent file but mercury saves them as some php plain text file. Now I have to switch to safary to actually get a file that utorrent will recognise.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone here use mercury browser for opening torrent files? Safary (with download manager) seems to be able to save them as a recogniseable torrent file but mercury saves them as some php plain text file. Now I have to switch to safary to actually get a file that utorrent will recognise.

Given that what you're describing is some sort of MIME type error, it probably depends on the site serving the .torrent file.

Red

Is there any app that allows you to schedule reminders every four weeks instead of the same day every month? I have been using the default reminders app but my weekly and monthly reminders have been getting out of sync, and I need them not to.

I can use the calender app if I have to, but a reminder app works better for me. I like being able to check things off.

Howdy guys.... I hope it's appropriate to self promote an app that a friend and I have been working on.

I'll give the link here:

Gurles

It is the first Selfie network.

Website is here.

Website is very simple because it's all about the app. It's available through Google Play as well.

I think most GAFFERS will like it. It's rated 12+ by Apple and we officially launched about 16 hours ago and jumped from about 500 in the Social Networking charts to a peak of 83 and hovering around about 90 now.

Check it out and let me know what you think, it would be great to get some GAF Feedback!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Congrats on the release. That's awesomely narcissistic. I actually like the idea. The branding is not quite up my alley, but the overall aesthetic and vision is internally consistent. Good luck to you guys!

Howdy guys.... I hope it's appropriate to self promote an app that a friend and I have been working on.

It is the first Selfie network.

image.php

Ha.

hEist

Is there any app that allows you to schedule reminders every four weeks instead of the same day every month? I have been using the default reminders app but my weekly and monthly reminders have been getting out of sync, and I need them not to.

I can use the calender app if I have to, but a reminder app works better for me. I like being able to check things off.

Check wunderlist.

Rasec

Not sure if this is the place to post this or the OS X app thread since it kind of involves both, but I'll try here first. I finally feel the need to purchase a password management apps that will sync between iOS and OS X. It seems like 1Password and DataVault are the two most popular solutions. Anyone have experience on which one I should go with? 1Password is quite a bit more expensive, but seems to have some useful features that DataVault doesn't. Is it worth the extra money for 1Password?
1password is really better in terms of encryption your data and keeping it safe.

I'm on computer science and my teachers who are experts on cryptography trust more on 1password.

edgefusion

Neat app from one of the Kickoff devs. It finds new and upcoming albums based on your music library.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/new-albums-recent-albums-by/id615781107?ls=1&mt=8

mzl.oaxkzjkk.320x480-75.jpg

Notifications can be local as well.

This is amazing! I was literally just thinking over the weekend how much I wanted something like this. sogood.gif

Does anyone have any experience with Ecoute? It seems like a slick replacement for the default Music app but it doesn't seem to add much in terms of functionality. I'm hesitant to pay £1.99 for an app that doesn't do anything different than a coat of paint.

6d9948b66e5f02cf8a95cef9e10a324e1631823988.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with Ecoute? It seems like a slick replacement for the default Music app but it doesn't seem to add much in terms of functionality. I'm hesitant to pay £1.99 for an app that doesn't do anything different than a coat of paint.

6d9948b66e5f02cf8a95cef9e10a324e1631823988.jpg
It has queueing functionality, and last.fm scrobbling if you're into that. It's pretty damn good, I don't use it much though cause (like most apps now) it doesn't run too well on my iPhone 4.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What did your teachers have to say about the recent exposure of a 1Password design flaw?
http://hashcat.net/forum/thread-2238.html

Although it is a design flaw, I'm not sure why you would surmise that it's particularly problematic. An attacker needs local access to your files; he still needs to crack your master password (which, if you've chosen correctly, is not feasible regardless of the encryption used); this is simply a flaw in the implementation of the algorithm that allows automated attacks to be a little faster--and it's already been noted by the team that makes the software and being patched on a go-forward basis.

Number45

So despite being a long time fan of Tweetbot (I've bought it on all platforms, including Mac) I just can't get away from the fact that I spend a lot of my time working at a Windows PC and it frustrates me not having access to a fully synchronised Twitter page/client.

Can anyone recommend a replacement for Tweetbot that provides the ability to sync your timeline position across at least iOS, Mac and Windows (as I say, it could be browser based)? An Android option would be useful as well on the off-chance that I jump ship in the future. I'm no power user, so multiple accounts etc. don't really mean a great deal to me.

LCfiner

So despite being a long time fan of Tweetbot (I've bought it on all platforms, including Mac) I just can't get away from the fact that I spend a lot of my time working at a Windows PC and it frustrates me not having access to a fully synchronised Twitter page/client.

Can anyone recommend a replacement for Tweetbot that provides the ability to sync your timeline position across at least iOS, Mac and Windows (as I say, it could be browser based)? An Android option would be useful as well on the off-chance that I jump ship in the future. I'm no power user, so multiple accounts etc. don't really mean a great deal to me.

well tweetbot uses tweetmarker (icloud is the other option) and that is cross platform. there should be one windows client that uses tweetmarker, right?

Number45

well tweetbot uses tweetmarker (icloud is the other option) and that is cross platform. there should be one windows client that uses tweetmarker, right?
Interesting point. I have it configured to use iCloud, but I'll see if I can search down something for Windows that uses Tweetmarker.

EDIT: http://tweetmarker.net/

Thanks, looks like I have some research to do.

Number45

Well, Webmarker is horrible and I'm not sure what to make of Watrermark. Everything else (aside from Nymphacus, which I'm considering) appears to be a Windows 8 app which means METRO IN MY FACE! :(

And reading this doesn't fill me with hope that even Tweetmarker will remain forever. Why couldn't Twitter just leave their third party support the fuck alone? Wankers.

Tempted to ditch it altogether.

Is there a podcast app that's for iPhone and iOS and automatically downloads podcasts and syncs them up within both iPhone and iPad?

Has anyone had syncing issues with Downcast? I typically listen to podcasts on my phone, but occasionally I'll use my iPad if I'm home, since I have it linked via bluetooth to my Jambox. Whenever I open Downcast on my iPad, though, it syncs down every podcast that is "new" to it rather than new to me, which could be hundreds depending on how long it's been since I sync'ed my iPad last. So I basically don't use my iPad for podcasts anymore.

Other than that Downcast is awesome.

Talon

Has anyone had syncing issues with Downcast? I typically listen to podcasts on my phone, but occasionally I'll use my iPad if I'm home, since I have it linked via bluetooth to my Jambox. Whenever I open Downcast on my iPad, though, it syncs down every podcast that is "new" to it rather than new to me, which could be hundreds depending on how long it's been since I sync'ed my iPad last. So I basically don't use my iPad for podcasts anymore.

Other than that Downcast is awesome.
Check the iCloud sync settings. They're actually pretty granular.

Is there a podcast app that's for iPhone and iOS and automatically downloads podcasts and syncs them up within both iPhone and iPad?

Downcast is really good. If you happen to have a Mac too that you are trying to sync with, Instacast just came out with their beta podcast app for Mac and they have a universal app for iOS. They use their own cloud solution for syncing between devices instead of iCloud. I've only been using it instead of Downcast for a week but it seems to work well enough. The biggest downside is the price. The iOS app is $5 and it looks like the license for the Mac app is going to be $15 once it's out for beta at the end of the month whereas I believe that Downcast is only $2.

Jak140

If any one wants to learn Spanish, the Brainscape app is free today (normally, $10)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/learn-spanish-brainscape/id435124768?mt=8

They also have some other free programs today for things like vocab ( https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gre-vocab-genius/id380833751?mt=8 ), music theory ( https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/music-theory-with-audio/id438110068?mt=8 ), French ( https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/learn-french-vocabulary/id405358036?mt=8 & https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/learn-french-vocabulary/id405358036?mt=8 ), and etc:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/brainscape/id380833754

I bought the Spanish one at $10 a few months ago, but if some of you guys get in on this for free, maybe I'll feel a little better :p

Note that they sometimes update their apps to demo versions so make sure you create and login with an account.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If anyone has McTube, don't download the latest update. Apparently Apple & YouTube have forced them to remove the cache feature.

sruckus

Dang it, I should not have automatically clicked update. Shame on McTube for not mentioning that in their release notes.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Dang it, I should not have automatically clicked update. Shame on McTube for not mentioning that in their release notes.
You might still be able to back up to a previous version if you synched with your computer.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask..

I've downloaded loads of Podcasts using the iOS official app, but when I goto iTunes on my Mac they aren't appearing in there, anyone know why? New music that I bought on the iPhone is in iTunes when I open it, just not podcasts. Any ideas? Cheers!

Mobius 1

Not sure if this is the right place to ask..

I've downloaded loads of Podcasts using the iOS official app, but when I goto iTunes on my Mac they aren't appearing in there, anyone know why? New music that I bought on the iPhone is in iTunes when I open it, just not podcasts. Any ideas? Cheers!

I don't think it syncs individual podcast downloads, only subscriptions.

I don't think it syncs individual podcast downloads, only subscriptions.

That's not working either :( I've just synced my phone with USB on iTunes and they still aren't in sync. They are both showing completely different podcasts! In fact, if I goto the iTunes store on my Mac, it doesn't show I am subscribing to ones that I am subscribed to through my phone. Very weird.

After searching online, it sounds like subscriptions don't sync between devices, only if you've listed to a certain one (that you've subscribed to on each device! If that's really true, what a stupid idea! Can't even get that working now, wtf.

FerranMG

Have you guys tried the new Hangouts app?
I've grown tired of Whatsapp, since it hasn't had a significant update since I first downloaded it like 3 years ago, but haven't found anything that can replace it yet.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I updated McTube's free version and the cache is still there..
Free version limits the amount of cache you can do, not sure why they haven't disabled it fully. Perhaps it was only the unlimited cache on the premium version that Apple & Youtube object to.

PaulLFC

I just bought a newsstand magazine subscription today and it's apparently set to auto renew - can I turn that off now and still get access to the next year's worth of issues, or do I have to wait and disable it after the final subscription issue?

Top Bottom