• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
So my dad needs a good app to organize his photos on his iPad. Does iPhoto allow you to easily make folders, and add a description to each photo? If not, any other apps that will allow this?

Quick

Banned
Mailbox is now available on the iPad.

Two small nit picks:

No image of the day inside the inbox, and it's landscape-only.

Not deal breakers, but I like the daily images, and I'd prefer having the option for both landscape and portrait, since I use my iPad primarily in portrait mode.

Quick

Banned
Double post!

Wake Alarm for the iPhone is an alarm clock app that looks pretty cool, and seems to have a good idea on how to get you out of bed.

You slap your phone when you need to snooze, you flip your phone over to turn off the alarm, and you shake the phone to turn off the alarm, (hopefully) waking you up in the process.

http://www.tinyhearts.com/wake/

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Mailbox is now available on the iPad.

Two small nit picks:

No image of the day inside the inbox, and it's landscape-only.

Not deal breakers, but I like the daily images, and I'd prefer having the option for both landscape and portrait, since I use my iPad primarily in portrait mode.

What do you mean by image of the day? I don't see it on the iPhone app. I'm sure they will eventually add portrait. They have been tweaking the app here and there quite often.

Quick

Banned
What do you mean by image of the day? I don't see it on the iPhone app. I'm sure they will eventually add portrait. They have been tweaking the app here and there quite often.

On the inbox (err "Mailbox") folder, when you clear all your mail, the Mailbox logo has a different photo each day. You can tap the logo and see the photo.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Clear all your mail? I see... haha, I really need to finish going through all of it.
That's the whole point of mailbox, really, getting you to Inbox Zero.

I say just archive it all and start fresh. Once you are at an empty inbox, this app is very good at helping you manage mail as it comes in, and keeping it at zero.

Also inspired me to go on an unsubscribe spree. What's that noise? That's right: nothing - the sound of no mail coming in ;)

Quick

Banned

I say just archive it all and start fresh. Once you are at an empty inbox, this app is very good at helping you manage mail as it comes in, and keeping it at zero.

Also inspired me to go on an unsubscribe spree. What's that noise? That's right: nothing - the sound of no mail coming in ;)

Bro fist.

Unsubscribed the fuck out of a ton of mailing lists.

mrkgoo

I don't push my email, and while I don't organise my mail (I just leave it in my inbox), I virtually zero it by keeping it read.

PaulLFC

I just discovered Readr, and I love the concept. It's basically Netflix for magazines.

You get a 7 day trial (at least you're supposed to, I didn't, maybe I'd installed it ages ago and didn't realise), then you get 20 free minutes per month. If you want unlimited reading, it's £6.99 / $10 per month, billed like a normal mag subscription through iTunes so will auto-renew unless you cancel.

For that you get access to read whatever magazines you want from their collection, which is quite sizeable so far. You also get all back issues of most of the magazines, especially useful for some magazines like Retro Gamer where the content isn't as controlled by what month it is.

Most magazines update straight away when the latest issue is out, but a couple I've seen choose to restrict the latest issue to buy only (all older issues including last month's are included in the subscription).

You can also add international magazines if you like too, so it's good for reading magazines from other countries without having to pay subscription and shipping fees.

As far as gaming magaznies go it has GamesTM, Retro Gamer, X360, Play (UK), Hyper (Australia) and PCPowerplay (Australia) [Those are the English-language ones I can see, there may well be gaming magazines in other languages too]. It has various other magazines - sports, motoring, science, tech, mens and womens' interest magazines, lifestyle, food, etc.

Worth a look for the 20 free minutes at least to see if it saves you money on any subscriptions you have so far.

Blackhead

Redarse
I just discovered Readr, and I love the concept. It's basically Netflix for magazines.

How favorable does Readr's catalogue compare to Next Magazine or Zinio? Next Magazine is $10/$15 a month and Zinio is launching a Z-Pass subscription plan for $5++ (should be available in the UK later this summer):
Zinio’s answer to that demand is a new offering called Z-Pass. For $5 a month, a customer receives her choice of three magazines from a catalog of more than 300. Subscribers can swap titles in and out as they choose and add more to the plan for $1.50 each, although some premium magazines, such as the Economist, cost more...

Five bucks also makes Zinio’s product a lot cheaper than the one offered by Next Issue Media, the digital magazine service owned by a consortium of big publishers, which sells subscription packages priced at $10 and $15 a month. While the $15 option includes unlimited access to all NIM’s titles, its library is far more limited, numbering 82 titles as of March.

Next Magazine has the New Yorker, Zinio has Edge. They are also multiplaform....

is mctube gone from appstore or just me o_O.

ABnozmn.jpg

Gone

PaulLFC

How favorable does Readr's catalogue compare to Next Magazine or Zinio? Next Magazine is $10/$15 a month and Zinio is launching a Z-Pass subscription plan for $5++ (should be available in the UK later this summer):

Next Magazine has the New Yorker, Zinio has Edge. They are also multiplaform....
I think it's quite a good catalogue Readr have got, with some big titles but also some notable omissions.

I got an email about ZPass, had a look at the American version but the title selection doesn't seem to be that great, unless they're expanding it or I looked in the wrong place - I couldn't find Edge, GameInformer, Retro Gamer for example, but I suppose if it's only $5 they won't include every title in their catalogue.

Readr is double the price but unlimited magazines (I reckon there's at least 100 different publications, probably more, on there, and you could technically subscribe to every one of them that offers Anytime pass (most of them) if you wanted and can speak multiple languages. I do like that all special edition books are included in the price (for example Retro Gamer's "Collection" books that are usually about £12 in the shops).

Some of the magazines I've seen on Readr from a quick look round the store:

- Seemingly all Imagine Publishing magazines (GamesTM, Retro Gamer, X360, Play, How it Works, All About Space, iCreate, Web Designer, Advanced Photoshop, etc - and their special edition books too.
- MacUser, PC Pro, Computer Shopper, Micro Mart, Custom PC, Web User
- NME
- World Soccer, Rugby World, Golf Monthly, lots of cycling magazines, Mens & Womens Running, Mens & Womens Fitness
- Various car magazines (Total 911, Evo, Auto Express, F1 Racing, GP International, etc)
- Various mens & womens magazines
- TV magazines etc
- International magazines (e.g. I've added Hyper and PC Powerplay from Australia to my library to see what they're like).

There are quite a few omissions though. No Wired unless you buy each issue separately (presumably NextIssue or whatever it's called have the exclusive on that), no FourFourTwo, no Edge, no Future magazines at all yet actually, although Readr say they're expanding the range of magazines they have)

If you'd read more than a few of them it's probably good value. Retro Gamer for example is £2.99 a month, and stuff like the PC magazines are over £30 for a year's iPad subscription, so if you do read those then Readr would probably make financial sense.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What app(s) do you dudes use for time management/reminders? I'm using any.do right now. I love the minimalist design but something a little more fleshed out would be nice. The one thing it doesn't have that I want it to be able to mark off tasks as done or not done instead of just deleting them. I need to be reminded of my failures lol.

Quick

Banned
What app(s) do you dudes use for time management/reminders? I'm using any.do right now. I love the minimalist design but something a little more fleshed out would be nice. The one thing it doesn't have that I want it to be able to mark off tasks as done or not done instead of just deleting them. I need to be reminded of my failures lol.

I use the default Reminders app. Nothing fancy.

Rekwest

I use Tempo.

PaulLFC

Sorry to ask another Newsstand question but can credit from iTunes gift cards be used for Newsstand subscriptions?

HUKD says Boots here are doing £25 cards for £20 which would make a yearly subscription slightly cheaper.

Wizman23

Banned
Do any of you have major problems with the Twitter app on an LTE network? Everytime I click on a link it loads and loads until it says A server with a specified hostname could not be found. In regards to pictures the bar will fill up to about 25% and then show a black screen. This happens with 7 out of 10 pictures I click on. If I'm on wifi everything works flawless. I'm getting great speeds on LTE too so I don't WTF the issue is. Iphone 5.

DarkJC

Do any of you have major problems with the Twitter app on an LTE network? Everytime I click on a link it loads and loads until it says A server with a specified hostname could not be found. In regards to pictures the bar will fill up to about 25% and then show a black screen. This happens with 7 out of 10 pictures I click on. If I'm on wifi everything works flawless. I'm getting great speeds on LTE too so I don't WTF the issue is. Iphone 5.

It could be an issue specific to your provider? I've never had an issue using Tweetbot to access Twitter via LTE. I'm using the Bell LTE network in Canada though.

Quick

Banned
The Transit App | iPhone (Free) is currently featured on iTunes as an Editor's Choice pick.

It looks pretty solid from the brief amount of time I've had with it of picking up TTC and Go Transit schedules based on my location. It covers a ton of major cities in the US (including TheBus in Honolulu) and Canada. Not all of them do real-time predictions, though.

Downhome

I posted this in the iPhone 5 thread a few days ago but it really belongs here.

I am looking for a finances app that I can log into and sync our credit cards and bank account information that then pulls and sorts everything to show us really quick and easy just what our money is being spent on. Yeah, that sounds lazy, but it would be an interesting app.

What would work for me on this one? Is there anything better than Mint?

giga

I posted this in the iPhone 5 thread a few days ago but it really belongs here.

I am looking for a finances app that I can log into and sync our credit cards and bank account information that then pulls and sorts everything to show us really quick and easy just what our money is being spent on. Yeah, that sounds lazy, but it would be an interesting app.

What would work for me on this one? Is there anything better than Mint?
Do you not like Mint? It works well. Personal Capital is similar, but it's more tailored for investing.

Futureman

what is the best app to record lectures? My co-worker is starting law school in the fall and I'm trying to advise her on an iPod Touch model to buy. I'm thinking a refurb 4th gen 16 GB would be good, not sure what app though. She's using a deactivated 3GS now and apparently it's running out of space (8 GB) and randomly shuts off.

Blackhead

Redarse
ADA
Apple said:
This year's [iOS] winners:

WWF
World Wildlife Fund
iPad

Procreate
Savage Interactive Pty Ltd
iPad

Badland
Frogmind
iPhone and iPad

Yahoo! Weather
Yahoo!
iPhone and iPad

Letterpress
atebits
iPhone and iPad

Ridiculous Fishing
Vlambeer
iPhone and iPad

Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders
Atypical Games
iPhone, iPad, and Mac

Evernote
Evernote Corporation
Mac, iPhone, and iPad

Finish.
Student Winner: Ryan Orbuch and Michael Hansen
iPhone

mosaic.io
Student Winner: Ishaan Gulrajani, Alex List, and Zain Shah
iPhone and iPad

Quick

Banned
Love Evernote. Ever since they updated to allow for reminders, I pretty much ditched the default reminders app.

Fox1304

Would anybody have the precedent version of AVPlayerHD where there is still the DTS support ? No idea if they're shareable or something like this in a non-jailbroken way ?
Updated the app without looking and now half my files don't have sound ...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Would anybody have the precedent version of AVPlayerHD where there is still the DTS support ? No idea if they're shareable or something like this in a non-jailbroken way ?
Updated the app without looking and now half my files don't have sound ...

Downloaded apps are tied to the Apple ID that downloaded them, can't be shared without essentially pirating them.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Sometimes when I post on Gaf using the mobile browser on my iPad, it takes 3-4 attempts before it actually post, can anyone explain why or tell me how to fix this?

Sometimes when I post on Gaf using the mobile browser on my iPad, it takes 3-4 attempts before it actually post, can anyone explain why or tell me how to fix this?

gaf is currently on e3 mode. you can only post once every 120 seconds.

There is no error message of that on mobile.

Top Bottom