• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Amazon instant video now supports AirPlay. Praise the lawd.

I've been waiting for this...now to decide if I want to ditch Netflix. If Amazon Instant had an Apple TV app the decision would be much easier. I wouldn't want to always have to stream it from my phone.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I ditched Flipboard after their increasingly onerous account nagging and advertising. Does the new iOS7 version do less of that?

Quick

Banned
I ditched Flipboard after their increasingly onerous account nagging and advertising. Does the new iOS7 version do less of that?

Probably not.

Funny enough, I signed up for an account eventually. Not because it was bugging me to do it, but because I figured it would be easier to manage and sync it to all my devices.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's exactly the same as before though, just flat and with the arrow pointing up now.

(and that little detail completely throws me off). I know what the icon does of course but I can't make any mental connection between the icon and sharing. What's the animation like, the one that brings up the share action sheet?

ramyeon

(and that little detail completely throws me off). I know what the icon does of course but I can't make any mental connection between the icon and sharing. What's the animation like, the one that brings up the share action sheet?
I dunno to me it's no less vague than the old icon. When you tap it the share sheet pops in from the bottom of the screen.

LCfiner

iOS 7 before and after screenshots (via HN)

Better than before imo (unless they also copy Ive's iOS7 icons). Apple needs to do something about that share/action icon to better expose its function.

this one stands out. red text/highlighting at the bottom is a poor choice for legibility…

screen568x568.jpeg

X-Frame

Are there any apps similar to Streaks?

It's such a convenient and simple app, yet unfortunately it still doesn't have iPhone 5 support let alone iOS 7 support. The developers don't seem to want to update it at all, but it's a great idea that I like using.

Does anyone have it?

giga

Mailbox updated with flat design and background app refresh. Emails will now download in background, instead of just getting a push notification and having to open the app to download them. Nice.

X-Frame

Mailbox updated with flat design and background app refresh. Emails will now download in background, instead of just getting a push notification and having to open the app to download them. Nice.

I like the stock Mail app redesign, I don't know which one to use. I've been using Mailbox since it came out, I'll check it ok after the update.

Arnie

So I just updated my iTunes to 11. Now it's telling me to get 11.1 before I can get iOS7, but the link just opens up the App store which says 'checking for updates'. And no update appears or downloads. It just checks indefinitely.

help

It's out now.

RfsgTaS.jpg
That's incremental.

I'd imagine he's referring to the huge revamp they've got in the pipeline. It's a complete redesign that removes the four tabs at the bottom and priorities visual media to drive conversation.

Was in today's papers.

ramyeon

So I just updated my iTunes to 11. Now it's telling me to get 11.1 before I can get iOS7, but the link just opens up the App store which says 'checking for updates'. And no update appears or downloads. It just checks indefinitely.

help

That's incremental.

I'd imagine he's referring to the huge revamp they've got in the pipeline. It's a complete redesign that removes the four tabs at the bottom and priorities visual media to drive conversation.

Was in today's papers.
I was assuming he was referring to an icon/UI update to match ios7, that's what this is.

LCfiner

go to apple.com/itunes and download 11.1 manually. the built in itunes software update has always been stupid slow.

jtb

Banned

help

That's incremental.

Was in today's papers.

Nah, I just want flat icons. Actually I just really want the app to retrieve tweets in the background—that's such a glaring flaw in pre-iOS7 and I'm glad it's finally been fixed. I think.

FerranMG

What's app needs a major overhaul ASAP.

Whatsapp is one of the worst updated apps ever.
It's always behind all its competitors, and always late in everything.
It sucks that it's the de facto messsaging app here in Spain. Everyone uses it, and it's almost impossible to switch to another one because nobody follows.
It doesn't help either that none of it's competitors is as easy to use.

I'm still waiting for the "definitive" messaging app. :(

X-Frame

If I already have Downcast, is there anything that Pocket Casts does this DC doesn't? Or any reason to have it over DC?

If I already have Downcast, is there anything that Pocket Casts does this DC doesn't? Or any reason to have it over DC?

nope. downcast actually does a bit more. pocket casts just looks less stale. Or looked, idk, haven't played around with the new one much.

I've actually used Downcast and Instacast. I used to think that Downcast was the better pod catcher, but after both of them updating for iOS 7 I actually lean towards Instacast. They added an up next list like iTunes 11 that I think is brilliant, and Instacast syncs with their Mac app why better than Downcast does theirs. Just my $.02.

I've actually used Downcast and Instacast. I used to think that Downcast was the better pod catcher, but after both of them updating for iOS 7 I actually lean towards Instacast. They added an up next list like iTunes 11 that I think is brilliant, and Instacast syncs with their Mac app why better than Downcast does theirs. Just my $.02.

no mac so no benefit of that I could care for atm. I just wish instacast didn't always seem to have a paid update when i'm interested.

I just don't think podcasting app updates can add that much more to me that would warrant a update :/

I also pretty much listen to podcasts exclusively on my iphone. I can airplay it to speakers if I require to.

andycapps

Instacast was my favorite app previously, but apparently I got left off the upgrade path some time back. I don't have an update for Instacast and to get it it looks like it's $4.99. Seems a bit steep for a podcast app. Waiting for them to run a 50% sale.

no mac so no benefit of that I could care for atm. I just wish instacast didn't always seem to have a paid update when i'm interested.

I just don't think podcasting app updates can add that much more to me that would warrant a update :/

I also pretty much listen to podcasts exclusively on my iphone. I can airplay it to speakers if I require to.

I agree that with the fact that Instacast could have handled updates better in the past. To be honest, I was shocked that the update to 4.0 for iOS 7 was free. Like I said, Downcast would be my app of choice were it not for their terrible syncing with their Mac app (actually not sure how much of it is their fault since they use iCloud for syncing). If the Instacast update wasn't free, I wouldn't have paid for it this time around since Downcast updates are free. I just wanted to share my experiences for anyone who might find them useful.

Am I the only one that doesn't reaaaaally freak out about paid updates? If it's an app that i already use a bunch weekly, I can fork over a few more bucks every half year or year or 2 or w/e.

now if the update was an update just for the sake of an update and kills usability or w/e... thats a different story.

bonus points if the app didn't have iap.

Google Wallet for iPhone

Use the Google Wallet app to send money to any friend in the US with an email address. Plus, you can store your credit and debit cards, loyalty programs, offers, and more.

Send money from anywhere: Send money to any friend in the US with an email address. It’s easy, quick, and won’t cost them a dime. And once you start using the app, you’ll also get access to sending money in Gmail.

Carry less, save more: Store your loyalty programs in Google Wallet and leave the plastic cards behind. Redeem great offers with Google Wallet from your favorite businesses to save when you shop.

A safer wallet: Google Wallet comes with a PIN, 24/7 fraud monitoring, and Google Wallet Purchase Protection. If your phone is lost or stolen, you can easily disable the Google Wallet app at wallet.google.com/manage.

Chairman85

Am I the only one that doesn't reaaaaally freak out about paid updates? If it's an app that i already use a bunch weekly, I can fork over a few more bucks every half year or year or 2 or w/e.

now if the update was an update just for the sake of an update and kills usability or w/e... thats a different story.

You're not the only one. :) Especially considering how cheap iOS software tends to be.

LCfiner

you’re not the only one. Apps that have significant updates are worthy of update income, imo.

Devs gotta eat, yo!

Mafro

The notification sound for Mailbox has changed to standard tri tone rather than the custom tone that was in the previous app. That's annoying,

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The new twitteriffic 5 is ugly. It looked fine before but now they made it a pukey dark blue instead of black. Mind boggling.

Top Bottom