• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

LCfiner

The new twitteriffic 5 is ugly. It looked fine before but now they made it a pukey dark blue instead of black. Mind boggling.

that bugged me too. I really liked the total black of the old version.

I tend to use the white scheme anyway but the dark theme looks way worse than before :(

Enco

"Great looking."
:lol

Whatsapp is a piece of shit looking app.

Downloaded Simplenote and I'll be using it instead of the default notes app. It's ugly as hell.

Going to try and use the default calendar instead of Fantastical. Looks nice.

:lol at the Clear To Do update. I understand them wanting to make money so I have no issue with it. My issue is with the fact that it seems like they have changed nothing apart from the status bar.

Quickoffice (by Google) FREE

This free app from Google lets you create and edit Microsoft® Office documents, spreadsheets and presentations on your iPhone and iPad. Once you sign in with your Google Account, work can be saved in Google Drive, which gives you up to 15GB of free storage and lets you access your files from any mobile device or computer.

With Quickoffice and a Google Account you can:

- Create and edit Word, Excel and PowerPoint files
- Access files in Google Drive and on your device
- Open and view PDF files
- Share files through previously shared Google Drive folders
- Attach files to emails

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
that bugged me too. I really liked the total black of the old version.

I tend to use the white scheme anyway but the dark theme looks way worse than before :(
Even with the light view it's a lot worse. That purple new tweets bar.. Ugh.

wow, pocket casts. bravo! Looks fantastic.

I can't seem to get automatic downloads and checking to work for downcast :/

Procamera 7 is also great looking. paid update, but $.99. Has 120 fps video and high speed shutter too for non 5s folks.

will test if its any decent.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah so now that the iPad mini can use retina assets for iPhone apps it's pretty fuckin awesome. I've been just using a chunky looking "Clear" for like a year now, but it's finally crisp. Kind of coincidental that the iPad Clear is now out too. It doesn't look any better than the iPhone version. In fact from the screens I have seen it seems overly complex. Gonna stick with the iPhone version on my iPad for sure.

Does anyone use chunk comic reader? There was a recent ad on a podcast and it made me look into it and it seems nice enough but I really question it's ui and if it's actually simple enough, I use comic glass which is a pretty amateur app but it does what I want so I'm kinda reluctant to switch just for some flare.

man... while pocket cast looks great. it's still super irritating how w/e refresh system they use takes a while to get updated even if you manual update. Could take hours before it realize a new podcast is up.

Megasoum

Banned
Ugh so looks like the gmail app started to have issues with sticky badge notifications again. I used to have the same problem a couple of months ago and now its back with ios7.

Basicaly the badge red notification stays there even of I don't have unread email anymore.

Anybody know a fix for that?

Quick

Banned
Ugh so looks like the gmail app started to have issues with sticky badge notifications again. I used to have the same problem a couple of months ago and now its back with ios7.

Basicaly the badge red notification stays there even of I don't have unread email anymore.

Anybody know a fix for that?

Reinstall the app, maybe?

Or check the settings to see if there's anything on the badge.

dLMN8R

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best YouTube app?

I'm specifically looking for the following features:

1. Ability to download for offline viewing later
  2. Ability to continue playing the audio of a video in the background when I do something else or turn off the screen
  3. Variable speed playback
  4. If you leave/close the app, it remembers where you were to start again there later

I have ProTuber now which works decently well, but all it can do is #1 and #2. It doesn't have variable speed playback, and more annoyingly, it forgets your place any time the app closes. It's also very unstable and crashy.

Basically, there are a lot of interesting speeches and interviews on YouTube I'd love to listen to like I do podcasts.

Cr0wn0

Just switched back to an iPhone 5s, any apps that will backup my photo's to my home server, ideally over SMB but I can set it up for FTP also.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Marco arment is making a podcast app!
https://overcast.fm

Very happy about this, I've tried nearly every podcast client on iOS and I still find it easier to just stream through safari.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Idk. I have spent like 20 bucks over the years on different ones and they all kinda fell out of favor with me. I'd say downcast is my main one but I really honestly do just stream through safari 90% of the time. I have bomb cast and trance around the world in downcast but other shows like 5by5 stuff or idle thumbs or Roderick on the line I stream through safari.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I don't hate all the other ones! It's just easier to go safari and stream it than waiting for a big ole list to refresh. Jeez man!

I don't hate all the other ones! It's just easier to go safari and stream it than waiting for a big ole list to refresh. Jeez man!

Instacast and Downcast have been updated to automatically refresh in the background so you don't have to wait for a refresh when you open up the app.

dLMN8R

2. Ability to continue playing the audio of a video in the background when I do something else or turn off the screen
  4. If you leave/close the app, it remembers where you were to start again there later

I have ProTuber now which works decently well, but all it can do is #1 and #2. It doesn't have variable speed playback, and more annoyingly, it forgets your place any time the app closes. It's also very unstable and crashy.

Basically, there are a lot of interesting speeches and interviews on YouTube I'd love to listen to like I do podcasts.
Just a follow-up. I found something that appears to be perfect!

Swift Player

-Fully downloads video to play later
-Continues playing with the screen off
-Variable speed playback on all those videos (including more than just YouTube)
-Remembers where you are
-Ability to save bookmarks
-Stable, doesn't crash like ProTuber.

iCatcher does this perfectly, can't imagine how Safari would be any better.

Milamber

So, after using AirBookReader since my previous post, I wrote a small pro's and con's that I will repost here...

PROS:
- Will stream files seamlessly.
- Has a "Manga" mode, can read left to right and vice versa.
- Picture quality is pretty great from a compressed file.

CONS:
- Opens .zip archives but does not display or open .rar archives.
- Numbering system is relegated to first digit, apparently. If I have a series of files numbered "1" till "200", It will order them to be displayed as "1, 100, 200, 2, 3..." and so on...
- Absolutely craps out if you open a folder containing more than 300+ large files.

Is there any other legitimate app in the store that offers wireless streaming of zip, rar, cbr, cbz, pdf, etc. to the iPad?

MxTube, available on app store now. Doesnt feature #3 as far as I know but its still the best youtube app. Even over jailbreak add ons. Wont be on the app store for long so grab it while you can.

When is Apple going to get rid of that terrible looking wood/shelf look of iBooks? I was hoping that fix would come with iOS7. How on Earth did the Kindle app beat them to an iOS7 redesign?

MxTube, available on app store now. Doesnt feature #3 as far as I know but its still the best youtube app. Even over jailbreak add ons. Wont be on the app store for long so grab it while you can.

lol this app looks exactly like mctube... both made by chinese dudes. not to be racist.... but hmmmm....

will use for now, but not sure if i will put money now ( i dont even know how to get to the iap in the app anyways).

Number45

Has anyone managed to get Downcast to continually download new podcasts in the background since the iOS7 upgrade? A few minutes after switching to a different app I get a message saying the download has stopped because of reasons.

Has anyone managed to get Downcast to continually download new podcasts in the background since the iOS7 upgrade? A few minutes after switching to a different app I get a message saying the download has stopped because of reasons.

same. a bit disappointed, but i just do what i always do. have the setting for not turn off screen, turned on, and dl stuff while i do other stuff.

i probably will send the devs an email.

lol this app looks exactly like mctube... both made by chinese dudes. not to be racist.... but hmmmm....

will use for now, but not sure if i will put money now ( i dont even know how to get to the iap in the app anyways).

You're right, its exactly like old McTube. It was actually featured within the McTube app, thats how I found it. Finally fixed the "playback failed" error that started popping up a few months ago on a lot of music videos.

To get rid of ads + unlimited you click the pro button (top left) in "more" tab.

Talon

Yeah, mine downloads in the background. The annoying thing is that it seems to check every 30 minutes (I suppose it's actually based on usage), so I had to turn off the sound notifications.

Talon

You can change how often it checks, I think I have mine set to every hour.
Actually, not right now. The interval you set doesn't affect when it checks currently.

@downcastapp There's a bug in the current version where it doesn't correlate with the refresh interval in Downcast's settings.

Mafro

Do any podcast apps have support for podcasts that are behind paywalls and require a password to download like in iTunes?

Hmm... will check it out.

EDIT: Media Server for Streaming is in Japanese.

EDIT 2: $2.99 for the app and a further $2.99 for "MediaServer Plus" for Streaming option. Ok...

What do you mean by streaming? What are you looking for? Give me an example for my dumb brain :p

Do any podcast apps have support for podcasts that are behind paywalls and require a password to download like in iTunes?

downcast does. instacast does too i think. It really depends on how they setup their rss feed though.

Milamber

What do you mean by streaming? What are you looking for? Give me an example for my dumb brain :p

Do you have Air Video or Plex? Same thing, but for "Files" located on the PC.

Air Video and Plex have a media server application you can install on your PC/Mac that can access your entire library of videos and wirelessly "stream" the videos directly to your iPad. When you open the iPad app, you can access these videos over WiFi instantly, provided the PC/Mac is on, and play them instantly on your iPad.

No need to download or sync them to your iPad and wait. It just uses your PC/Mac to process the video so no space is taken by the iPad.

Noema

Air Video and Plex have a media server application you can install on your PC/Mac that can access your entire library of videos and wirelessly "stream" the videos directly to your iPad. When you open the iPad app, you can access these videos over WiFi instantly, provided the PC/Mac is on, and play them instantly on your iPad.

No need to download or sync them to your iPad and wait. It just uses your PC/Mac to process the video so no space is taken by the iPad.

Not to mention (at least with Air Video) that you don't even need to convert the files to play them on the iPad, since the computer that's working as a server will convert them in real time as it streams them to the iOS device.

And if you have enough upstream bandwidth you can also stream the videos over the internet to your device, not just local WiFi.

I'm afraid though that Air Video has been orphaned. It hasn't been updated in a while and probably won't get an iOS7 makeover.

ahh, can't help you there. never tinkered with the media streaming thing on comicglass. I usually just view stuff on my 30" monitor if i'm home.

Noema

Goddamn Whatsapp, your ugly-ass App sticks out like a sore tacky gaudy thumb in my minimalistic haven of tasteful Iveness.

Milamber

ahh, can't help you there. never tinkered with the media streaming thing on comicglass. I usually just view stuff on my 30" monitor if i'm home.

Hot Damn! After paying $6 total for this app and setting up the server on my PC, this delivered instant streaming to my entire collection. No issues yet.

Now I can read anything I want while on the can.

Top Bottom