• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

Quick

Banned
You should also change Reeder to Reeder 2. :)

Also your category texts can't be seen for those using the dark theme of GAF.

MAYBE Dark-GAF needs to convert to White-GAF.

:p

I'll see what I can do.

I noticed that McTube links no longer work and it's now McTube Pro for YouTube as far as I can tell. I can't really speak for the new app, but reviews say they no longer do offline caching.

I'm happy with the official YouTube app now that it's Universal and expected to allow offline playback in November. The only drawback for me is there's no video quality selector and no way to set a preference.

Thanks guys. I'll make the necessary changes and additions.

Epix

Hey GAF! Just wanted to drop a line and let everyone know that I just published my first iOS app on the Appstore. It's called Home Improver and it's a sleek little Home Improvement app that helps simplify your weekend projects. If Home Improvement is your thing please download it and give it a try! If you like it PLEASE leave some feedback, it really helps!!!

Thanks!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/home-improver/id713260889?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg

Dany

Banned
Search in google chrome shows my private browsing searches. I search in the broswer bar incognito "XXX hot sexy" and google.com has my search history in regular mode.

That's kinda fucked up.

Quick

Banned
You used to, but I imagine they will update to use the background refresh if they haven't already.

Sounds good. I tried it out before, and it didn't really do much for me. But then I saw something about it running the Photos > Dropbox recipe without having the app open, and it got me curious.

I know about the automatic Dropbox upload built into the app, but if it can do it without me having to open anything, that would be pretty cool.

Vyer

Sounds good. I tried it out before, and it didn't really do much for me. But then I saw something about it running the Photos > Dropbox recipe without having the app open, and it got me curious.

I know about the automatic Dropbox upload built into the app, but if it can do it without me having to open anything, that would be pretty cool.

It had the location stuff available and when I tried it it did seem to work (I was using the Dropbox upload as well), but yeah I would still open the app every once and a while just for good measure.

dream

Has anyone noticed that GoodReader has become damn near unusable on iOS 7? I'm seeing repeated crashes after a handful of page turns.

Cloudy

Banned
I checked the OP for the first time. Genius Scan is amazing. I'm so lazy with scanning random documents so it's perfect for me lol

Cr0wn0

Has anyone noticed that GoodReader has become damn near unusable on iOS 7? I'm seeing repeated crashes after a handful of page turns.

Yup I was having this problem in class the other day. All of the sudden every 5 minutes it was crashing.

dream

Yup I was having this problem in class the other day. All of the sudden every 5 minutes it was crashing.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm grappling with. I just installed Documents as an interim solution until GoodReader fixes this shit. It seems to work fairly well with the documents I'm throwing at it.

What is the best app to store all my reward and loyalty cards?
I used to use CardStar but don't really like the interface. Does Google Wallet do that? I don't think it is available in Canada though as I cannot find it in the store.

Quick

Banned
What is the best app to store all my reward and loyalty cards?
I used to use CardStar but don't really like the interface. Does Google Wallet do that? I don't think it is available in Canada though as I cannot find it in the store.

Check out FidMe.

UI is terrible, but it lets you store your cards on Passbook.

There's also Stocard, which looks a lot simpler, but no Passbook support.

X-Frame

I'm actually curious how many airlines actually let passengers use Passbook for their boarding pass, even though some offer Passbook compatibility.

When I flew into London, then Berlin, then Barcelona, then the Netherlands, and then back to London again this past August for a little Europe trip, I used Passbook each time. I got maybe one confused face, but it worked for everything, even barcode scanning. I had paper backups of my boarding passes just in case, but none of them were needed. I used British Airways, Easy Jet, and Vueling airlines.

Noema

You can disable the new rendering engine (which is faster but apparently much less stable on devices with less than 1GB of RAM) for the older, more stable one. In fact the app itself will automatically switch to the older engine after it has crashed a couple of times.(it will show a red exclamation mark in the lower right corner after it's done that)

You can manually switch to the old engine in PDF settings:

Quick

Banned
When I flew into London, then Berlin, then Barcelona, then the Netherlands, and then back to London again this past August for a little Europe trip, I used Passbook each time. I got maybe one confused face, but it worked for everything, even barcode scanning. I had paper backups of my boarding passes just in case, but none of them were needed. I used British Airways, Easy Jet, and Vueling airlines.

Nice. I completely forgot to try it out when I was travelling not too long ago.

Quick

Banned
New Camera+ 4.2 changelog:

So the previous version of Camera+ had a little bug where burst-mode shooting would crash. We fixed that.

We almost stopped there and just called it version 4.0.3, but then figured that it’d be the perfect time to boost burst-mode snaps to full-resolution on devices that could handle it (like the iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, and the unapologetically poorly-selling iPhone 5c).

That was enough to justify calling it version 4.1. And then we thought about jumping on the bandwagon where we put Camera+ out as a whole new app and let existing customers pay for it all over again. And of course there’d be the ensuing sh__storm where those customers felt cheated and we’d have to backpedal and reverse that shortsighted decision.

So it was Clear that that would’ve been a knuckleheaded move, so instead we decided to treat our lovely customers fairly and make Camera+ 4.1 a free update as we’ve always done. But then we felt like it was all give and no take… so to make us feel better about giving-in too easily, we chose to call it version 4.2. That’ll teach you to mess with us.

Then we felt bad about jumping ahead two version numbers and giving you little for your troubles. So we added a new effects pack that includes all the filters that Apple’s standard Camera and Photo apps include (for users on iOS 7). Two hours of coding (and eight trivial Core Image filters later), the Standard Effects Pack was born.

Quick

Banned
Flipboard has to be the app that's released the most bug fixes since iOS 7 came out.

Almost everytime I check the updates section on the App Store, Flipboard's there with a new one.

Quick

Banned
All those Flipboard updates still doesn't fix the crashes I get.

I haven't experienced any crashes between my 5S, iPod Touch (5th gen) and iPad (3rd gen). I guess I just avoid it somehow.

But yeah, constantly updating.

Scan is the latest app to get an iOS 7 redesign.

However, they're charging for their app now ($4.99, on sale for $1.99).

I barely use it, and I honestly don't think it's worth $4.99 or $1.99.

I haven't experienced any crashes between my 5S, iPod Touch (5th gen) and iPad (3rd gen). I guess I just avoid it somehow.

But yeah, constantly updating.

Scan is the latest app to get an iOS 7 redesign.

However, they're charging for their app now ($4.99, on sale for $1.99).

I barely use it, and I honestly don't think it's worth $4.99 or $1.99.

I like how if you press review , the employee rated this app 5 stars just because he worked on it

LCfiner

Any recommendations on offline GPS? All of the major ones have terrible reviews.

I’ve used navigon and tom tom interchangeably for years when travelling to the states where I get no data service (I’m in canada). Both work well for me.

Navigon has better pricing for traffic data (one time fee vs yearly subscriptions) but they both get the job done, imo. I haven’t run into bad data with either - although this is limited to north east US.

Pachimari

Hmm, so there's like 67 updates on my iPad mini but I'm afraid to update the apps. Do some apps force you to have iOS 7 installed in order to use them?

kaskade

Just bought pocketcasts. I didn't realize you can't play podcasts through the music app anymore. The Apple podcast app seems pretty shitty from the little I played with it. Loved the android version. It was nice to sign in and have all my subscriptions ready.

I heard tweetbot just submitted their ios7 version. Excited to see how that is.

dream

I like how GoodReader is still completely broken on iOS 7, with no response or even an acknowledgment of the app's unusability on the company's Facebook page.

Cr0wn0

I like how GoodReader is still completely broken on iOS 7, with no response or even an acknowledgment of the app's unusability on the company's Facebook page.

Yah I've relied on this app for a long time and its really frustrating they haven't even acknowledged an issue. The alternatives are just not the same.

is iMessage still broken? I had it turned off but apparently last night a buddy was iMessaging me all night long and I didn't get a damn thing. Would have thought they'd just convert to text messages like they used to, but apparently that's too hard for Apple. Really pissed.

Top Bottom