• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

Number45

iOS, where people lose their shit over three dollars.
Hey, we spend so much on the hardware we have no monies left for paid apps. :(

On a serious note, a lack of universal support and the high price on the Mac (which I understand given the context they provided) makes it harder to swallow. I imagine this'll be the fourth time a lot of people have paid for it.

I do love it though. I can't get on with any other client.

Quick

Banned
I'll probably end up buying it on both iPhone and iPad, but I do wish it was a free update.

That being said, Tweetbot is the best social media client I've used. I wish they'd do a Facebook app, but I don't think that's possible.

JDeluis

I thought it was going to be an update so I was a little disappointed to see this. But the video they posted shows a lot of the new features. It pretty much seems like a whole new app.

http://vimeo.com/77626913

The slide to the right to go back and sliding down/up when viewing an image to exit, like Facebook seals the deal for me. lol

Didn't tapbot make fun of developers who charged for updates some time ago?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Not only I don't like Android, but I don't like people who like Android as well, and I'd prefer to reward those devs who don't go to the other side.
Holy shit, what?

giga

$3!? Sure, these two guys at tapbots have been working continuously these past few months to completely redesign not just the UI, but all interactions as well. But that doesn't mean I should support their livelihood. I'd rather spend that $3 on a cup of Starbucks which will give me a few hours of caffeine, rather than a year or more of providing a great twitter experience.

LCfiner

I came in here knowing that there’d be some people losing their shit over this paid update.

Not surprised.

but still disappointed knowing that 3 bucks for a major update still manages to upset people and make them think developers are scheming and duplicitous thieves :(

rbanke

I saw Wario's tweet about Tweetbot and my initial thought was 'that blows'. I'm disappointed that this was my first thought about 3 bucks to upgrade a program that I've used many many times a day for years now. I spent 2 bucks on a coffee today without even thinking about it but I cringed at 3 bucks for an app? It really reminded me how strange software pricing on phones as made everything.

Anyway, I bought the new version, seems nice.

kaskade

$3!? Sure, these two guys at tapbots have been working continuously these past few months to completely redesign not just the UI, but all interactions as well. But that doesn't mean I should support their livelihood. I'd rather spend that $3 on a cup of Starbucks which will give me a few hours of caffeine, rather than a year or more of providing a great twitter experience.

It really is pretty much a whole new app. The only complaint I have right now is that I wish I could make the font a little smaller. It's kind of funny how we place value on app prices. I'll admit my first thought was disappointment. Then I was like, I'm going to use this every day.

Quick

Banned
Just bought Tweetbot. Looks great. I hope they make a dark theme available at some point. I tested out notifications and it sounds so much more vibrant.

I also updated the Tweetbot link in the OP.

One thing I wish the App Store would do is show the original price (preferably greyed or slashed out) and sale price at the same time. Seeing "on sale for a limited time" posted by the developers isn't enough, I think.

Number45

One thing I wish the App Store would do is show the original price (preferably greyed or slashed out) and sale price at the same time. Seeing "on sale for a limited time" posted by the developers isn't enough, I think.
Yup, I completely missed that when I first went to the page.

Blackhead

Redarse

I came in here knowing that there’d be some people losing their shit over this paid update.

Not surprised.

but still disappointed knowing that 3 bucks for a major update still manages to upset people and make them think developers are scheming and duplicitous thieves :(

I have no problem paying but I'm disappointed posters keep trotting out this false equivalency of starbucks. Ffs I don't even drink coffee, much less frappachishit, and yet it provides more value to people than a worthless $3 app.

giga

I have no problem paying but I'm disappointed posters keep trotting out this false equivalency of starbucks. Ffs I don't even drink coffee, much less frappachishit, and yet it provides more value to people than a worthless $3 app.
"Worthless $3 app."

OK.

Vyer

Figure is the free App of the Week.

One of my favorite apps. Trust me, you do not have to be very musically inclined to enjoy this thing, tinker around and actually make music. Just a great creativity outlet. Try it!

Here's a trailer, or just search for people using the app on YouTube and you'll understand the beauty of this thing.

I always thought this app looked cool, but I don't think I have the talent to make it useful. Lol

I thought it was going to be an update so I was a little disappointed to see this. But the video they posted shows a lot of the new features. It pretty much seems like a whole new app.

http://vimeo.com/77626913

That looks pretty sweet. Might have to hop on the teeetbot train again.

LCfiner

If an app is worthless to you, then there’s no reason to buy it. There’s no expectation for you to pay money for something that is worthless to you. But a high quality twitter iOS app, redesigned from the ground up, has value to some people.

The point is that there are people for whom the app has value and yet still think this upgrade pricing is somehow evil on the part of the developers. It’s that attitude that bums me out. There’s an odd lack of proportionality with the comments to these updates.

“oh look, a major update to an app I like and use daily has come out. what? It's 3 bucks? fuck these asshole developers cheating and fucking over customers"

Granted, I see this less on Gaf and more on other tech sites but it’s still depressing.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Tweetbot 3 is out. It's a new, paid-for app rather than just an update https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/tweetbot-3-for-twitter-iphone/id722294701?mt=8

Why couldn't they at least make it Universal? I don't think folks would mind paying again then.

As it is now, they want me to buy it again on iPhone, they're probably then going to charge again on iPad, and then probably another $20 for Tweetbot for Mac.

It's completely insane. If it was a one-off I probably wouldn't have minded.

god damn it i have to pay to update tweetbot, give me a discount gawd damn it i bought your 20 dollar fucking os x app too. the os x app is never getting an update is it.

Blackhead

Redarse
If an app is worthless to you, then there’s no reason to buy it. There’s no expectation for you to pay money for something that is worthless to you. But a high quality twitter iOS app, redesigned from the ground up, has value to some people.

The point is that there are people for whom the app has value and yet still think this upgrade pricing is somehow evil on the part of the developers. It’s that attitude that bums me out. There’s an odd lack of proportionality with the comments to these updates.

“oh look, a major update to an app I like and use daily has come out. what? It's 3 bucks? fuck these asshole developers cheating and fucking over customers"

Granted, I see this less on Gaf and more on other tech sites but it’s still depressing.
See Understanding Price Dynamics and make sure to listen to the short podcast. Again, I pay for apps and will eventually buy Tweetbot 3 (although I think Twitterrific is better) but I do understand why people would flinch away from paying again for an update. And yes, it's evil to force users to pay for an update without a free demo or trial (but that's mostly Apple's fault).

Everyone who is bitterly upset at paying $3.00 for an upgrade to a Twitter client they've been using for over a year (nearly two for some) should sign a petition so we can have a list of people to not be friends with.

Guri

It's weird. I mean, I love Tweetbot and I'd love even more if they made versions for other systems too. And I'd definitely pay for the ones I have. And I'm sure that developers should get paid for their work. I'm a developer too, I know how it goes. But different opinions and methods, I think. For example, I have a game on iOS and Android and we are developing the HD version. We chose not to make it universal because of huge size differences. But we also believe that people playing the SD version on tablets now should get it for free somehow. And new customers would pay for one or another. We believe it's a kind of "love letter" to previous customers and I think that would be nice for Tweetbot as well.

Anyway, I don't know yet when or if I'm going to buy. It depends on new features.

subrock

The new tweetbot looks incredible. I'm sitting here trying to figure how they did a lot of their interactions. Fuck people that are being pissy about paying again. Developers gotta eat. (plus they probably get a new set of tokens if they make an entirely new app.)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The Twitterific 7 update seems better to me than the Tweetbot one, you guys should check it out.

pxleyes

Banned
Can we talk about the quality, or lack there of, of the usability in this new version? Huge step backwards with interactions like replying and retweeting.

Quick

Banned
Speaking of crashes, the Steam app is almost unusable because it crashes almost every time I open it.

Not that I have an actual need for the app, though. I didn't really use it a lot.

Can we talk about the quality, or lack there of, of the usability in this new version? Huge step backwards with interactions like replying and retweeting.

That's the other smart thing about a new app, tbh. Now it's easy to continue using the old version (or at least until Twitter kills off the 1.1 endpoints) if you don't like the new look and feel.

Some things I hate right now (lists for sure), but I know it's going to get better.

What went backwards

I have some picky wants (square avatars, background tint in header/tabs maybe based off of my cover photo, more settings for default text size—default is too big and only changeable with the global Dynamic Type settings), but willing to live in a new app for a bit and I'll likely learn to love a lot of it. List switching is not going to be one of those things I learn to love though.

I had a similar initial reaction with Tweetie 2 but after a few days opening Tweetie 1 was shocking in that it felt old and janky. I'm hoping to feel the same way in a few days.

pxleyes

Banned
What went backwards
My current list (still reviewing):

-Text size tied to the OS. Twitter apps realt need separate sizing. I want to squeeze more tweets on the screen at once.
-Less tweets in view even with smaller text. I used to get 4 in view, now I'm lucky to get 3.
-Unable to customize interactions anymore. Triple tap an a couple other settings gone.
-With fewer interactions, the app now requires at least 2 taps o reply or retweet. The old version can be done in one motion.
-New sounds are alright, but generally sound louder than the default OS sounds.
-It is more sluggish to switch timelines. Tapping at the top text does nothing now.

Other things are minor bugs.

Van Owen

Banned
You also can't hold the top left button to go back to the first screen.

And the official twitter says there's a dark theme in the settings when there isn't...

Not a fan of the thin lines that are also used in Safari

Other than that, Tweetbot 3 looks like a sweet update. I'm happy with the old version for now though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ah.. It finally dawned on me why app icons were actually moving towards skeumorphism when I was on iOS6.

I guess the same app will display different icons depending on whether you were on iOS6 or 7.... So many app developers actually took the time to make their icons more skeumorphic for the iOS6 version.

I could not, for the love of me, figure out why my apps were getting more 3D depth and reflections in this age of migration to flat design....

Cr0wn0

I could care less about paying for tweetbot. I'm not supporting them any longer based on their other apps that haven't been updated in years. Paid for Weightbot hasn't been updated in 3 years. Paste bot got one update for iOS5 and before that it has been almost 2 years.

My god, Tweetbot used to look so good. Now it's some ugly ass generic iOS 7 app that looks as bad as Safari With all the wireframe shit. They should've come up with their own take on the iOS 7 design like they did with iOS 6.

Mairu

My only issue with the new Tweetbot is that I hope they add a dark theme.

No problem paying another $3 for an app I use every day

Mafro

Are there any Twitter apps that show location-based nearby tweets? Tweetie 2 and the official Twitter app used to have this feature until it was removed for no apparent reason. It was pretty handy.

yeah, no issue with paying $3 for tweetbot when i use that quite often each day. Really wish it was universal though, or at least release the ipad version too.

edgefusion

What's the best Instagram app for iPad? I'm currently using Padgram but it's a bit ghetto, the others I can see in the store don't appear much better either.

Top Bottom