• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

I really like Tweetbot 3, but I don't like how they moved their text size settings to the universal app thing that Apple has now. Would be nice to only make the text smaller in Tweetbot, and not every other app that supports the universal text settings.

Besides that, it's really good.

razielim

I really like Tweetbot 3, but I don't like how they moved their text size settings to the universal app thing that Apple has now. Would be nice to only make the text smaller in Tweetbot, and not every other app that supports the universal text settings.

Their FAQ addresses them looking into Tweetbot specific text size for the future. Also looking forward to Dark theme. My only complaint is that I used the list switching in the timeline page before and now I have to use one of the configurable panels for list switching.

Mindwipe

I think they've clocked that was a mistake on Twitter, I expect it to be fixed fairly quickly.

The biggest problem for me to be honest is that it looks too much like Twitteriffic, and the reason I have seperate clients is to keep seperate accounts visually distinct.

The only iOS7 esque Twitter client with it's own visual identity atm seems to be Twitter's own, and that's awful because of the blue lines crap breaking chronology.

Anyone else having an issue with the latest Tweetbot revision where if you compose in landscape mode, your text gets covered by the top navigation bar? (Like it's trying to focus on the line beneath the one you're actually writing on.)

sruckus

I was very fond of the Tweetbot original notification sounds. This will take some time :/

The design is pretty meh to me too. All the iOS apps used to be unique and have cool unique designs. Now every app looks very similar and usually just shitty with way too much white and light blue. Ugh.

Mafro

I was very fond of the Tweetdeck original notification sounds. This will take some time :/
I was really annoyed when development stopped on the TweetDeck mobile app after Twitter bought them out. The list support in that app was so much better than anything else.

sruckus

I was really annoyed when development stopped on the TweetDeck mobile app after Twitter bought them out. The list support in that app was so much better than anything else.

I had a brain fart - I meant Tweetbot. But I know what you mean. We still have people using it at work because it's so much better for business purposes.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Is Tweetbot 3 coming out for iPad soon? It's by far my favourite twitter client, I don't mind paying for a newer version.

Quick

Banned
Has anybody tried out Boxie?

It's essentially a prettier version of Dropbox, which looks outdated with iOS 7. I'm tempted to get it, but it doesn't look like it supports automatic camera uploads (unless they just didn't bother mentioning it).

Would be great if Dropbox copies the design language of Mailbox.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

It's essentially a prettier version of Dropbox, which looks outdated with iOS 7. I'm tempted to get it, but it doesn't look like it supports automatic camera uploads (unless they just didn't bother mentioning it).

Apart from looking prettier, any other reason to justify the price point? Any actual enhancements over the official app?

Anyone play the game The Room? What a fantastic game. A little bit short but it is so polished and fun. I would love to play other similar games if there are any recommendations!

Enco

Eh, doesn't look that good.

Why should I pay for an average looking app and give some random people my account info when I can use the fully functional free official app?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm starting to lose my shit with the Podcast app. I have synced a few different podcasts, but it's grouping them together now. Is there any other apps that will read my podcasts synced from my library and play them that DOESN'T suck?

LCfiner

I'm starting to lose my shit with the Podcast app. I have synced a few different podcasts, but it's grouping them together now. Is there any other apps that will read my podcasts synced from my library and play them that DOESN'T suck?

Every other podcast app creates it’s own library and won’t sync with the itunes/iOS podcast library. If you’re cool with that, try downcast or instacast.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Every other podcast app creates it’s own library and won’t sync with the itunes/iOS podcast library. If you’re cool with that, try downcast or instacast.

I don't know if that will work for the one that I pay to subscribe to. I'll have to email support over there and see if they know anything. Thanks.

LCfiner

I don't know if that will work for the one that I pay to subscribe to. I'll have to email support over there and see if they know anything. Thanks.

If the paid podcasts have user names and passwords for authentication, I know instacast supports that as I’ve used it. I assume downcast, too, but don’t know for sure.

good luck… Apple’s podcast app has really made things a bit more complicated for some of us. I wish I could just go back to the embedded podcast support in music player.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If the paid podcasts have user names and passwords for authentication, I know instacast supports that as I’ve used it. I assume downcast, too, but don’t know for sure.

good luck… Apple’s podcast app has really made things a bit more complicated for some of us. I wish I could just go back to the embedded podcast support in music player.

They actually list Downcast as one that supports their login.

It's frustrating because I've tried to make the backlog that I downloaded play as music files, but it appears to randomly restart the play time all the time. That got frustrating in a 2 hour podcast. If there's a way to fix THAT, I'll just import the files as music files. Otherwise, I may have to spend money on a podcast app...Something I really didn't want to do.

Quick

Banned
Apart from looking prettier, any other reason to justify the price point? Any actual enhancements over the official app?

Anyone play the game The Room? What a fantastic game. A little bit short but it is so polished and fun. I would love to play other similar games if there are any recommendations!

Eh, doesn't look that good.

Why should I pay for an average looking app and give some random people my account info when I can use the fully functional free official app?

Fair points.

I figure it's an option, but having looked at it again, it isn't quite a standout.

PaulLFC

I feel like a complete idiot asking this, but in the WIRED app, how do you get back to the Library view from inside a magazine?

I was on the Library screen, tapped a magazine and it opened - and now I can't find out how to close it. I've tried tapping the screen and double tapping but all I can get to show up is a scroll bar at the bottom of the screen to scroll through the current issue.

Are there any apps a tech illiterate person can use to transfer their iPhone's camera roll photos to an iPad? Relative on vacation has a full iPhone and an empty iPad.

Number45

Will that let them save the photos to their ipad and delete them from their iphone without losing anything? I'm not knowledgable on how photostream works.
Hmm, probably not. Photostream basically syncs all of your devices that have it enabled - although you could remove them from the phone when they're synchronised with the iPad. You can also sync with Mac and Windows (needs iCloud Control Panel installed).

How much storage do they need? You could always use Dropbox to back them up, then remove them from the iPhone and copy to the iPad as necessary.

No idea if they've both updated to iOS 7. The only reason this is even an issue is they're on vacation and don't have access to a computer and my aunt has apparently filled up an entire 16gb phone with pictures and video. They have a 32gb ipad so i figured if there was an easy way to clear space by moving photos to the ipad that would be the simplest solution.

I'll see if photostream can do the job, worst case they get a USB driive and use a friends' computer so they can save the files and take them home.

Vyer

If they are on the same photo stream, then yeah the iPad can just go to that photo stream and save the photos to its camera roll.

numble

Is there a way to stop Tweetbot from downloading all images attached to tweets, or even avatars? Or a Twitter app that does? I'd like to conserve bandwidth.

Number45

More like Tweetbot 2 (purely based on version number). Where'd you get that news?

Asking people for another $20 is pushing it, so good on them.
http://tapbots.com/blog/news/tweetbot-3-questions-and-answers

Where is the Mavericks update of Tweetbot for Mac and am I going to have to pay for that?

We’re finishing it up and it’ll be a free upgrade. I do want to add that the new smooth scrolling support for Mavericks is awesome!
Probably an assumption on my part, as it's a Tweetbot 3 Q&A.

Is there an app that allows me to watch youtube videos without the annoying video pre-roll ads? It's ridiculous that I use my limited data on a cellular network to download 30 seconds of HD ad video before watching the 240p video.

Van Owen

Banned
BXrvMggCEAAQqBg.jpg

pxleyes

Banned
Is this what is to come? Really need some of these updates because I'm starting to feel like I paid $3 for a lesser tweetbot 2

Oh no doubt we did. I frankly have a bit of a hard time believing the 'months of hard work' when the new version has fewer features out of the gate. Something just doesn't feel right about this release.

Oh no doubt we did. I frankly have a bit of a hard time believing the 'months of hard work' when the new version has fewer features out of the gate. Something just doesn't feel right about this release.
I think you underestimate how difficult it is to create an iOS app of that level of quality, especially when your team consists of just 2 people.

pxleyes

Banned
I think you underestimate how difficult it is to create an iOS app of that level of quality, especially when your team consists of just 2 people.
I may. I've worked on twitter and Facebook app development for a while now as one of our projects, and I don't see the huge fuss. The API is pretty hefty and a lot is just handled client side with display. Tha said I don't know the first thing about all the custom animations and physics in the new tweetbot.

HildyB

I just bought a 5C to use Tweetbot... not really kidding either.

But I have been away from iPhone for a couple years, was time to switch it up :)

PaulLFC

I feel like a complete idiot asking this, but in the WIRED app, how do you get back to the Library view from inside a magazine?

I was on the Library screen, tapped a magazine and it opened - and now I can't find out how to close it. I've tried tapping the screen and double tapping but all I can get to show up is a scroll bar at the bottom of the screen to scroll through the current issue.
Turns out this was a bug with the app where it wouldn't show the library button inside a magazine. An update fixed it.

Megasoum

Banned
Is there a way to remotely watch DVDs on my ipad?

Basically I'm going through an old tv show right now which I have on DVD.

I'd like to be able to watch the show on my ipad when I'm doing the dishes and stuff like that.

Is there a way to stream a DVD playing on my PC to the iPad via the network without actually having to rip the DVD? I don't need it on the go, just when I'm at home but not in front of the PC or TV.

mrkgoo

Is there a way to remotely watch DVDs on my ipad?

Basically I'm going through an old tv show right now which I have on DVD.

I'd like to be able to watch the show on my ipad when I'm doing the dishes and stuff like that.

Is there a way to stream a DVD playing on my PC to the iPad via the network without actually having to rip the DVD? I don't need it on the go, just when I'm at home but not in front of the PC or TV.

It would be cool if you could airplay a dvd from a mac.

I once had an app called DVD player or soemthing that actually did this. I tested it and it worked, but never tried a full dvd to see if it ever held up.

Top Bottom