• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming December 2015 | F2P is frightful, but the sales are so delightful

A ton of games have gone on sale in what is probably going to be an Apple sponsored event. All of the following are $.99:

I Am Bread
Duck Tales Remastered
Tetrabot and Co.
Ski Safari 2
Alto's Adventure
Knightmare Tower
Tiny Guardians
Danmaku Unlimited 1 & 2
Hitman GO
Leo's Fortune
Duet
Goat Simulator
Rogue Star
Agent A (already had mentioned this but figured it was worth mentioning again)
Broken Sword 5
The Shadow Sun
Planet Driver
Trick Shot

There are others but those are some of the more notable ones. Also of note is Door Kickers for $1.99.
A lot of good games there. Duck Tales is tempting

Tetrobot is a really easy recommendation. It's easy to play, but the puzzles definitely aren't easy

Trick Shot is a fun physics puzzler. The dev also did art for Monument Valley

Knightmare Tower is like one of the gold standards for quick, replayable, arcade-y games on mobile.

asa

I can't believe I just now noticed this thread, I'm (one of the two) developer of the Power Hover. It's really nice feeling to stumble upon a thread and notice people talking & liking your game, thanks for all the kind words!

We have started working on the content update, and that will come out early next year!

nampad

I just noticed that I missed the Her Story sale :(
How long does it usually take for games to be discounted again?

Nelo Ice

Banned
A ton of games have gone on sale in what is probably going to be an Apple sponsored event. All of the following are $.99:

I Am Bread
Duck Tales Remastered
Tetrabot and Co.
Ski Safari 2
Alto's Adventure
Knightmare Tower
Tiny Guardians
Danmaku Unlimited 1 & 2
Hitman GO
Leo's Fortune
Duet
Goat Simulator
Rogue Star
Agent A (already had mentioned this but figured it was worth mentioning again)
Broken Sword 5
The Shadow Sun
Planet Driver
Trick Shot

There are others but those are some of the more notable ones. Also of note is Door Kickers for $1.99.

Thanks for the heads up. I ended up getting Leo's Fortune, Knightmare Tower, and Alto's Adventure.

I can't believe I just now noticed this thread, I'm (one of the two) developer of the Power Hover. It's really nice feeling to stumble upon a thread and notice people talking & liking your game, thanks for all the kind words!

We have started working on the content update, and that will come out early next year!
Congrats! Great work.

awp69

-psygnosis-

Neo Member
Mario, how interested are devs in following this model: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1159766h

Sounds craaaaazy sleazy and makes me kinda glad I passed on the new Cut the Rope, but am I fooling myself thinking this isn't going to be the future?

First impression is that this thread is full of console pc masterrace people that have no clue about mobile gaming as a market and just like to have another reason to cry about f2p and mobile...

As said most of those things gondola offers are already done by developers, every decent sized studio has economy designers and data scientist conducting a/b testing, balancing ingame prices and creating bundles based on user behaviour and designing for specific user groups.

That being said this market and the f2p model are still young and there is tons of stuff still to find and try out. Imho a lot of developers are also aware of their responsibilitys and many games already offer an option to disable in app purchases so that children are not "exposed" to this kind of mechanics.

colinp

Banned

Congrats on a fantastic game! How long did it take to make? I really love the aesthetic and how unique each level is. Can't wait to see what comes out of the content update.

First impression is that this thread is full of console pc masterrace people that have no clue about mobile gaming as a market and just like to have another reason to cry about f2p and mobile...

As said most of those things gondola offers are already done by developers, every decent sized studio has economy designers and data scientist conducting a/b testing, balancing ingame prices and creating bundles based on user behaviour and designing for specific user groups.

That being said this market and the f2p model are still young and there is tons of stuff still to find and try out. Imho a lot of developers are also aware of their responsibilitys and many games already offer an option to disable in app purchases so that children are not "exposed" to this kind of mechanics.

Thanks for your thoughts, interesting to hear.

Benedict

Just finished and survived my first run yesterday and I can't recommend it enough. It's a great, tense sandbox with a lot of hard choices.

Loved it! But yeah seriously, iPad only.

Have an iPad Mini 2.
Might try it.
Have it on PC but my time is more limited there

Lee N

Membre
A friend of mine just released an iPhone game called Captain Cowboy that I think GAF might like. It's a bit of a cross between Boulder Dash and Exile, some of you might even get some Spelunky-vibes even though the game isn't procedurally generated - it does have a large open map with many possible routes though.

Code:
Captain Cowboy is a puzzle adventure set in a giant asteroid space maze.

- Explore a huge handcrafted world
- Get lost in your quests for diamonds
- Get back on track with the handy automap
- Find the mysterious exit warp room
- Cross paths with friendly Snorkhogs and dangerous Gnurfs!
- Create avalanches of falling rocks in front of motion sensitive laser turrets
- Explore the underwater caverns with quite impressive water physics
- Visit the secret space station Discotek
- Simulated 8 bit char based videochip using 1008 volumetric parallaxed tiles on screen and a quirky CRT-shader

All in this little one handed portrait puzzle adventure featuring no in-app purchases, no advertising and extra continues are included in the price. And no tutorial! It's just you and the game. Go for it!

Some screenshots:

screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg

And a trailer for good measure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6v45exSOas

Get it on the app store!

... and for the people enviously reading this thread, the game is out now on Android too. Grab it here!

Heel

Also, I wasn't exactly enamored with Lara Croft GO. After hitting the credits, made it about half way through the expansion and then deleted it.

There's very little in the way of those feel-good "ah-ha!" moments that make you feel like you're so smart for solving a puzzle. It just seems to move from simplicity to tedium.

I'd definitely recommend The Room 3 (don't use hints!) over this if you want some truly rewarding puzzlin'.

Benedict

Also, I wasn't exactly enamored with Lara Croft GO. After hitting the credits, made it about half way through the expansion and then deleted it.

There's very little in the way of those feel-good "ah-ha!" moments that make you feel like you're so smart for solving a puzzle. It just seems to move from simplicity to tedium.

I'd definitely recommend The Room 3 (don't use hints!) over this if you want some truly rewarding puzzlin'.

Have the sam feelings about Lara Croft Go as well. I am in the expansion, but it's no fun to play the game.

Hitman Go is so so much better than this tedious game.

Have the sam feelings about Lara Croft Go as well. I am in the expansion, but it's no fun to play the game.

Hitman Go is so so much better than this tedious game.
Huh, I felt the complete opposite. Hitman was the tedious (but still great) game while Lara Croft was the compelling puzzler with a great sense of adventure

awp69

Huh, I felt the complete opposite. Hitman was the tedious (but still great) game while Lara Croft was the compelling puzzler with a great sense of adventure

Same here. I just felt like Lara Croft's environments, sound effects and overall variety made it for more like an adventure puzzle game. Hitman GO was more sterile and too much like a board game. It was still fun. I just though LC took it to the next level.

awp69

Sorry for selfpromo, but we just dropped the price of Power Hover -50%, for a limited timer. So if you were on the fence, now it's time to get it cheap :)

Here is a little greeting card/teaser about the new content we are bringing out early next year:
tumblr_nzpqexMyNY1ukj7blo1_1280.png

Your game is fantastic so I encourage anyone who hasn't grabbed it to do so now.

Can't wait for content updates!

Any chance of adding some kind of endless mode? Procedurally generated would be awesome.

awp69

Hitman: Sniper is pretty meh. Glad I waited to pay $.99 for it. While silly, I actually think the Clear Vision games are the most fun sniper efforts on iOS.

pronk420

Wow power hover is great, that's really cool, I hope it's doing well on the App Store. People have already said most of the cool things I like about it, but the little touches like the seagull and whales in the sea levels are nice too.

asa

I'm trying to buy Power Hover but it says "this item is currently being modified, try again later", weird.

Same here - it's annoying - but I will keep trying, picked up a ton of apps/games today - a few had the same message for a couple of hours.

Is it working now? Others have been reporting this as well and we did a double check and everything seems to be in order.
Resaved the changes on the app store, just in case, maybe it was just stuck for somereason.

If you manage to buy the game, PM me, and i'll send you couple Promo codes to share to your friends :)

Quantum

Is it working now? Others have been reporting this as well and we did a double check and everything seems to be in order.
Resaved the changes on the app store, just in case, maybe it was just stuck for somereason.

If you manage to buy the game, PM me, and i'll send you couple Promo codes to share to your friends :)

Still getting the message (8:37 EST) - will try again later.

"This item is currently being modified. Please try again later"

(doesn't work from iphone 6 or ipad for me)

Pachimari

I'm planning to pick these games up today:

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3
Leo's Fortune
Alto's Adventure
Pac-Man Championship Edition
Kingdom Rush Origins
Tonguetied

Are more games expected to go on sale?

And how's Chrono Cross for iOS?

-psygnosis-

Neo Member
Sorry for selfpromo, but we just dropped the price of Power Hover -50%, for a limited timer. So if you were on the fence, now it's time to get it cheap :)

Here is a little greeting card/teaser about the new content we are bringing out early next year:

Fine, I bought it, just cause it's so beautiful and everyone here seems hyped :d

awp69

Deathwatch is on sale for $1.99. An absolute must have for anyone who likes turn-based strategy games. Tense, atomspheric and on my Top 10 list for the year.

All of the Double Fine Productions games are on sale from $0.99-$2.99. Their games are more than worth those prices, especially Grim Fandango.

HBP

Are Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 and Chrono Cross worth getting for iPhone?

Assume you mean Chrono Trigger but my answer is yes, I played through the whole game on my iPhone and the exception of one section where the controls were problematic it was great.

I'm probably done with Jetpack Joyride. I've been doing the SAM thing to unlock all the costumes, and recently I got to day four and it said day three had been completed and SAM would be rebuilt in 22 hours. When the timer ended it started me over at day one. I got to day four again today and it says day three has been completed and SAM will be rebuilt in 19 hours. I'm assuming it will start me over at day one tomorrow at which point I will be done with the game.

Top Bottom