• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming December 2015 | F2P is frightful, but the sales are so delightful

killercow

So is a controller worth it for games? If so, which is your favorite? I am going to give some ideas to my wife for Xmas! I know Heartstone does not need one .... but I can play other games!

I love my controller (Steelseries Stratus XL) and I use it with Downwell, Dead Effect 2, Horizon Chase... Plus you can use it to stream your pc games with Moonlight! If you're looking for a list of compatible games or the best in-depth reviews of those controllers go here:
https://www.afterpad.com/

You'll see that some people don't like the Stratus XL and since then a lot of new controllers did come out. The horipad or PXN Speedy are good alternatives.

awp69

Dodonpachi Ichimen Bancho by Cave is surprisingly out worldwide now :
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nu-shou-ling-feng-yi-mian/id1057408697?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

Seems pretty good so far...although I don't know what the hell I'm doing (it's all Japanese for those that didn't know). Also not sure how the F2P is implemented. Doesn't seem to have timers. Banner ad at the bottom.

Also, for fans of Death Rally, CaRRage is pretty fun. It's F2P as well but seems well balanced.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carrage/id1043003599?mt=8

awp69

I don't think they care either way, they still make a shitload of money in profit ever quarter anyways. It's all about that ecosystem strategy after all.

Well, I'm pretty sure their shareholders care about their stock tanking.

I think the article is right about the smartphone market maturing. I mean techies and gamers like us always would like the latest and greatest phones, but most consumers don't. And with phone companies moving towards payment plans for phones over subsidized phones, more people are going to keep their phones longer.

I don't know what Apple can do to "revolutionize" the iPhone for moms that only care about calls, texting or playing Candy Crush.

Well, I'm pretty sure their shareholders care about their stock tanking.

I think the article is right about the smartphone market maturing. I mean techies and gamers like us always would like the latest and greatest phones, but most consumers don't. And with phone companies moving towards payment plans for phones over subsidized phones, more people are going to keep their phones longer.

I don't know what Apple can do to "revolutionize" the iPhone for moms that only care about calls, texting or playing Candy Crush.
I see this stock dip as a temporary reaction to sales news. I expect it to go back up in January's stockholders meeting.

Overall what can Apple do to reignite sales? Well, rumors of a new iPhoneC coming out next fall, thats something that might bring in more cost-conscious consumers into the ecosystem.

Emarv

To me, the best way to fix Apple is always to find the next product. It was tablets, but that market has slowed. They thought it'd be Apple Watch, but the tech isn't there yet for average consumers.

If their larger TV plans ever pan out, that could be it. Until then, they'll be fine just selling some of the best tech hardware each year.

killercow

Rusty Lake Hotel looks incredible:

screen480x480.jpeg

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rusty-lake-hotel/id1059911569?mt=8

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUyYNTuX4PY …

Another great release (with a quote by More_Badass ;) ):
Into the Dim:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/into-the-dim/id1045102110?mt=8

screen322x572.jpeg

RPG/Dungeon Crawler/Puzzler

All of Tin Man Games' apps are on sale for $1.99

So yeah if for some reason, you haven't gotten To Be Or Not To Be yet, this is the time to fix that

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I'm all over this. Love that art, and getting a weird creepy Grand Budapest vibe from that

Anyone check it out?

I was quite intrigued as to what the game was and also had a vague Grand Budapest inkling, so watched the "first room" on Youtube yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJTxnTL8ogI It's a walkthrough so watching it to the end will spoil the puzzles, but you get a good sense for it in the first minute or so.

I might grab over the holidays.

awp69

Some other notable sales:

Tales from Deep Space $3.99 --> $1.99
Lost Within $6.99 --> $1.99
Til Morning's Light $6.99 --> $1.99
Super Happy Fun Block $2.99 --> $.99

Also a game called Sneaky Sneaky that looks good on sale for $.99 (from $2.99). Anyone play it?

Edit: See 9/10 from PG and 4.5/5 from Touch Arcade as well as 9/10 on Steam for Sneaky Sneaky. Think I'm gonna bite! Came out last December and first time on sale!

awp69

Highly recommend Sneaky Sneak. It's a really cool and charming turned based stealth game with light RPG elements. A steal for $.99.

I've been playing Land Sliders, not a bad game but I don't like the blind box style character purchasing the game has. I've gotten the same character I already had twice now and I've got less than a third of the characters.

okno

Voidance

This game is super cute and pretty addicting. Was up way too late playing this. Very nice little rogue-like with some F2P elements that don't get in the way too much (mostly they are there in the form of speeding up upgrade timers, which get exponentially longer the more you upgrade your character). It's deceptively tricky!
I can't seem to download it. When I try to "Get" it, I'm told the item is no longer available. :^(

okno

I can't seem to download it. When I try to "Get" it, I'm told the item is no longer available. :^(

Say what?! Bummer. That's super weird. Hope that gets fixed soon! It's refreshing to have a game that is so simple and well-made. Nothing fancy, no flair, just pure, old school, gameplay.

awp69

Oh wow, two Devolver titles coming to IOS tomorrow
Dropsy and Gods Will Be Watching

Gods Will Be Watching was quite disappointing sadly.

I don't know why by I haven't been that impressed with Devolver's point and click titles. I'm not big on the genre to begin with so that doesn't help.

Actually, I really shouldn't say Devolver...since they're just the publisher on these.

What will it take for them to bring BroForce to mobile?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Ah, it's the last week of the year before releases close. Time everything to get an update.

Apple is actually approving stuff on a much faster than usual turnaround time too, especially for this time of year. We are pushing out several updates this week which we weren't expecting to be able to release until next year, on top of the other updates we already had in the can.

If anyone grabs this (it's free), let me know if you have any issues. Has been a relatively rapid port, so I imagine a couple of kinks we haven't caught might remain.

downloaded it, hasn't played it before. Thoughts:

- very brief 'downloading' after opening the app
- I'm playing with an MFi remote but it shows the button layout for the Siri remote :(
- I died but I unlocked a gun and now I've got a doggy.
- Looks really nice on a big TV, very atmospheric
- Not sure what "Use a Full Perk Loadout" means.

Top Bottom