• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming December 2015 | F2P is frightful, but the sales are so delightful

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
downloaded it, hasn't played it before. Thoughts:

- very brief 'downloading' after opening the app
- I'm playing with an MFi remote but it shows the button layout for the Siri remote :(
- I died but I unlocked a gun and now I've got a doggy.
- Looks really nice on a big TV, very atmospheric
- Not sure what "Use a Full Perk Loadout" means.

Thanks for the feedback. We'll look at the controller messaging.

The "Use a Full Perk Loadout" just means do a run with all 5 perks activated.

Nitrome's roguelike Rustbucket is out
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rust-bucket/id1040158406
Free, with an ad remover
More content coming soon: "Exciting new levels, puzzles and Endless mode content"
---

Implosion is getting a big update next year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFjAmbsrHIQ
g7JZhEG.gif

okno

Really wish I had downloaded Implosion when it was IGN's free game. Dead broke now and can't afford a $10 app :p Was holding out until I got the 6s+, but that took longer than I had anticipated. Ah well! There's always after Christmas.

Has anyone played Heroes of Might & Magic 3 recently? It's on sale and I want to pick it up, but the reviews mention a lot of crashes

Voidance

I was able to download Into the Mist after a little while. All the ads and monetization are a huge turn off. I don't see me keeping this on my phone.

I was able to download Into the Mist after a little while. All the ads and monetization are a huge turn off. I don't see me keeping this on my phone.
You mean Into the Dim? I've personally given up on F2P junk no matter how "non-intrusive" or how forgiving it says it is. I never feel like I own the game and most F2P games tend to be based on endless content which I'm personally not a fan of, I like having an end game or goal to my games.

awp69

Some more nice sales going on. Transistor and Don't Starve down to $2.99. Spider: Rite of the Shrouded Moon for $1.99.

Also, if you never picked up Pixel Boat Rush, a fun 2D old school combat boat racer, it's currently free.

okno

I've had absolutely zero ads so far and haven't had any issues with the money. I'm at level 10 and enjoying it, but it's now starting to get a bit stale. It's pretty slow moving, and I dislike that it stays move-based even once all the enemies are dead. The honeymoon is wearing off pretty quick.

Yeah, there were rumors that was coming. Supposedly some other things coming tomorrow that TA says are embargoed.
Stealth release of Torchlight Mobile! You heard it here first folks!

some other stealth releases like GTA before the itunes freeze would be very exciting, one can hope

awp69

Stealth release of Torchlight Mobile! You heard it here first folks!

some other stealth releases like GTA before the itunes freeze would be very exciting, one can hope

Hope you're right about Torchlight. And also hope if it's F2P that it's balanced.

killercow

So yeah, Badland 2
http://youtu.be/tesHfW-4uhM
- Looks gorgeous, even prettier than the first
- already a ton of levels, and the devs are already planning more
- biggest change: you can move left and right, so just imagine the levels and challenges they can make now, when the first game was like the epitome of one-touch level design

Damn, now I'm going to have to reorder my whole GOTY list

colinp

Banned
So yeah, Badland 2
- biggest change: you can move left and right, so just imagine that levels and challenges they make now, when the first game was like the epitome of one-touch level design

Wow, crazy. Hah, next year we shouldn't have year end lists until the App Store closes. ;)

Does it require a constant internet connection? The description talks about online challenges.

PittaGAF

I really do not know why so many devs publish their game this week all together.
Especially indies....I feel bad for them.
Games that would be succeful in other timeframes will be just buried under the other more famous ones, condemning them to death.

I know (in the past) the week before Christmas was the best moment to launch a game, to be in the charts when the AppStore freeze and everyone that was gifted a brand new apple device for Christmas could see and probably download their game...but it's not valid anymore nowadays imho.
I just hope that we do not hear horror stories about otherwise nice or even great games with really poor sales...it always saddens me.

Also...Apple should really add much more slots for their featured games.
They are the same as years before...when the 'output' was an order of magnitude less.

Wow, crazy. Hah, next year we shouldn't have year end lists until the App Store closes. ;)

Does it require a constant internet connection? The description talks about online challenges.
There's a campaign (no internet required) and there's an online challenge mode, where you play against ghosts and do time trials, etc.

awp69

With the latest update it finally is! Though I'd recommend getting a guitar, they're really cheap these days.

So you have played it without the guitar? I doubt
I'd get a guitar, but I do like these kind of games. Never would have paid $50 for it but $10, probably.

I'd download the game but 2+ gigs is not exactly easy to try a game.

Matt Frost

Rust Bucket from Nitrome is all sorts of amazing stuff... Reminds me of Ending but with the Nitrome style somehow... It even has an endless mode :D

So yeah, Badland 2
- biggest change: you can move left and right, so just imagine the levels and challenges they can make now, when the first game was like the epitome of one-touch level design

Wow buying it tomorrow as soon as I can!!! On airports now without WiFi (they charge you money to access it, hell no...) :/

killercow

So you have played it without the guitar? I doubt
I'd get a guitar, but I do like these kind of games. Never would have paid $50 for it but $10, probably.

I'd download the game but 2+ gigs is not exactly easy to try a game.

Yeah it's okay with touch but it really feels better with the guitar.

What a week!
3pOMhPK.jpg

This has to be the best week of releases in a long time. Cool indies like Rustbucket and Into The Dim, PC ports like Dropsy and Gods Will Be Watching, out-of-nowhere releases like Badland 2, Scribblenauts, and GTA. A little something for everyone

How's the game?
Is it entertaining enough to be worth downloading?
Excellent. $0.99 is a steal. Perfect for quick games, with a nice amount of depth due to the ability cards, nice art and polsh. I'm eagerly awaiting the dev's next game, a blend of card game and stealth/heist game. The prototype for that is ingenious

awp69

What a week!
3pOMhPK.jpg

This has to be the best week of releases in a long time. Cool indies like Rustbucket and Into The Dim, PC ports like Dropsy and Gods Will Be Watching, out-of-nowhere releases like Badland 2, Scribblenauts, and GTA. A little something for everyone

Republique's fourth chapter is also out. I have no idea when I'll be able to play that game (didn't even finish chapter 2). I read that with the new chapter the game is up to 7.6 GB!!! I wonder if that is the largest yet on mobile?

For me this week, it's just Badland 2, Into the Dim and Rustbucket.

Republique's fourth chapter is also out. I have no idea when I'll be able to play that game (didn't even finish chapter 2). I read that with the new chapter the game is up to 7.6 GB!!! I wonder if that is the largest yet on mobile?

For me this week, it's just Badland 2, Into the Dim and Rustbucket.
Wow, really? This week really is crazy

awp69

IIRC, at the time it was released the monthly iOS thread heaped praise on it. I haven't played it myself, but for $0.99 I figure it's definitely worth a try.

Excellent. $0.99 is a steal. Perfect for quick games, with a nice amount of depth due to the ability cards, nice art and polsh. I'm eagerly awaiting the dev's next game, a blend of card game and stealth/heist game. The prototype for that is ingenious

If you have an Android device, it also launched on the Amazon store today in its Underground section for free.

But $.99 is wayyyy worth it (and don't have to worry about Amazon spying on your gaming habits).

Slightly on topic, but Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller is taking over App Store leadership across all Apple platforms. Previously, this was under Eddy Cue, VP of Internet Software and Services, (included iTunes Store, the App Store, iBooks Store, Apple Pay, Siri, Maps, iAd, iCloud services, and Apple’s productivity and creativity apps).

Schiller has been responsible for developer relations for awhile and does a good job, imo (see his appearance at The Talk Show Live at WWDC this year).

I hope what this means is a bigger focus from Apple on working with App Store devs and making them happy, as well as better discoverability and features across the stores.

Hopefully, we see something from this at WWDC next June.

awp69

Hitman: Sniper is down to $.99.

I kept passing on this due to hearing how repetitive it was and the lack of different environments. But think I may finally pick it up.

Matt Frost

Oh my god, decided to buy BADLAND 2 ahead of tomorrow and... Everyone who calls themselve a true gamer should check it out. What they hace done on this sequel is mind blowing... Not only they added a left button, they improved every single aspect of the game! Best part is: Levels are no longer a straight line, they vary and gives an amazing roller coaster feeling. And the level of detail is incredible. Maybe too early but is my GOTY (the first landed GOTY as well).

Top Bottom