• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming December 2015 | F2P is frightful, but the sales are so delightful

You know, even with all the delays it does mean that we are getting quite the early 2016 backlog:

-Crashlands
-Torchlight
-Titans Quest
-Warbits?
-Love you to bits
-Galak-Z
-Momoka
-PC ports (More_Badass can probably fill this one in)
-And probably a bunch of other games that are escaping me at the moment

You know, even with all the delays it does mean that we are getting quite the early 2016 backlog:

-Crashlands
-Torchlight
-Titans Quest
-Warbits?
-Love you to bits
-Galak-Z
-Momoka
-PC ports (More_Badass can probably fill this one in)
-And probably a bunch of other games that are escaping me at the moment
- Fallen London (currently in Testflight beta)
- Swapperoo (new puzzler from devs of Quell games)
- Spacegrunts

awp69

Speaking of the possibility of adding Badland 2 to GoTY nominations, noticed there's only been one new post in the mobile GoTY thread in the last week and still on just the first page.

Is there anything we can do to promote it?

Speaking of the possibility of adding Badland 2 to GoTY nominations, noticed there's only been one new post in the mobile GoTY thread in the last week and still on just the first page.

Is there anything we can do to promote it?

it's gonna be garbage any way because it's already filled with mostly 'shitty, popular IP f2p' game, one game only lists.

awp69

it's gonna be garbage any way because it's already filled with mostly 'shitty, popular IP f2p' game, one game only lists.

Actually was just looking through it and there's some decent lists in there...looks like a lot of noms for Downwell and Lara Croft GO.

And, ironically, after I made my post 9 more replies were added. :)

Also, for fans of Death Rally, CaRRage is pretty fun. It's F2P as well but seems well balanced.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carrage/id1043003599?mt=8

Also a game called Sneaky Sneaky that looks good on sale for $.99 (from $2.99). Anyone play it?

Edit: See 9/10 from PG and 4.5/5 from Touch Arcade as well as 9/10 on Steam for Sneaky Sneaky. Think I'm gonna bite! Came out last December and first time on sale!

Both of these are good.
Haven't played a lot of CaRRage, but reminds me of RocknRoll racing and Reckless Racing.

Sneaky Sneaky is great, aesthetic reminds me of lttp.

awp69

Both of these are good.
Haven't played a lot of CaRRage, but reminds me of RocknRoll racing and Reckless Racing.

Sneaky Sneaky is great, aesthetic reminds me of lttp.

Yeah, I'm enjoying both. Sneaky Sneaky in particular is really polished and like the turn based mechanics in it. Glad it went on sale because I would have missed a great game (not because of the sale price but because I didn't even know it existed).

CaRRage is challenging and probably could be made easier with IAPs but it never feels unfair and is also very well made.

RustyO

Hitman: Sniper is down to $.99.

I kept passing on this due to hearing how repetitive it was and the lack of different environments. But think I may finally pick it up.

Exact reason why I haven't grabbed it yet... was going to buy, but then found out about the only one level thing... let us know how you get on... Or do I take one for the team and let you know how I got on?

Yeah, seems like the update really raised the bar. I'm in this time, haha.

Is the update included in LC:GO or IAP?

awp69

Exact reason why I haven't grabbed it yet... was going to buy, but then found out about the only one level thing... let us know how you get on... Or do I take one for the team and let you know how I got on?

I grabbed it. Haven't played much yet, but seems fun enough. I definately can see the same level getting old, but it is a huge level and the targets take a wide variety of routes that it takes different planning. For regular price, I may have been disappointed. For $.99, I'm happy with it.

Is there really no way to turn off sound in Hero Emblems?

The volume on the side of your device? ;) No, I don't think there is one. I guess I never even think to look because when I play games in places where I can't use sound I do just turn my device down. The ringer sound out side of the game is still there separate outside of the game, although I have my phone on vibrate 99.9% of the time.

Edit: You CAN turn off the sound in-game. If you pause, there are two buttons in the middle. One turns of sound effects. The other turns off the music. So you should be good to go!

----

Have to say I'm a little disappointed in Rustbucket. The very similar I Wanna Be A Hero is much better IMO (yeah, they both share the typical rogue like experience but they also are similar in design if not graphically). Just my 2 cents but I'll stick with Hero.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So Groove Coaster is on sale for the first 1st time in years. Any reason to still get it with the sequel out?. Especially since the sequel has a ton of dlc songs.

Aaron D.

Looks like Baldur's Gate: EE 1 & 2 and Icewind Dale are $4.99.

I'm considering but I don't have an iPad. Wonder what the viability is for these titles on a 6s Plus.

Anyone have any experience with them? I'm mostly worried about the active combat on such a "small" screen. Can you pause mid-combat to issue orders?

Looks like Baldur's Gate: EE 1 & 2 and Icewind Dale are $4.99.

I'm considering but I don't have an iPad. Wonder what the viability is for these titles on a 6s Plus.

Anyone have any experience with them? I'm mostly worried about the active combat on such a "small" screen. Can you pause mid-combat to issue orders?
Yeah...I first bought Baldur's Gate when I only had an iPhone, and no, it's not worth it on a small screen. The screen is just too cramped. Granted, that was an iPhone 4, but still, I think a bigger screen is needed to really appreciate the art and for the combat. There are a lot of sub menus and UI tabs.

awp69

Slightly off topic, but for those of you who also have Android, there's currently an offer from PayPal to get $3 off a $5 purchase on Google Play. Pretty sweet, especially when combined with some of the sales.

Supposed to be automatically applied when you choose PayPal as your payment.

Also posted in the Android topic.

Heel

App sales seem to be flowing in before the App Store shutdown.

One that caught my eye is Splendor for 99 cents, marked down from 6.99. It's a digital board game adaptation from Days of Wonder (Small World 2, Ticket to Ride) so I have a feeling it's a high quality port.

Anyone played it?

awp69

Guys is there any way to transfer the save files from one device to another?

Obviously if the game has iCloud that's the easiest way. Otherwise you would need to do an iTunes backup on PC, which I haven't done in a long time, but think it saves both the app and save. Then transfer from PC to the other device.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

for which game? a lot of games have iCloud integration that moves your saves around automatically, and several games allow you to pull the save off your device using a computer w/ iTunes on it

With iOS 9, Apple prevented programs like iFunbox and others from accessing directory data and the what not. Right now, the only program I know of that works is iMazing. Despite the terrible name, you may want to give it a whirl. Instead of accessing the directory files, it just pulls a back up from your device. For more info read about here at Touch Arcade.

NoPiece

Uggghhh I wish I could play this on my plus! Loved this to death when I had an iPad, and would love to revisit it :mad:

App sales seem to be flowing in before the App Store shutdown.

One that caught my eye is Splendor for 99 cents, marked down from 6.99. It's a digital board game adaptation from Days of Wonder (Small World 2, Ticket to Ride) so I have a feeling it's a high quality port.

Anyone played it?

Small World 2 is also on sale for .99.

Aw, man. I went to play Tiny Thief (I was going to recommend that my girlfriend try it out), but it apparently doesn't work on iOS 9. :-/
I was pretty far along in it too, but haven't played it since iOS 9 came out apparently.

Thankfully it still works on my Android phone, so I can at least start it again on there.

Anyone still playing Jetpack Joyride? I started it up today to do the daily SAM thing, but it said that day three had been completed and it would be rebuilt in like 22 hours. I did day three yesterday, today was supposed to be day four. Anyone else have this issue?

colinp

Banned
I grabbed it. Haven't played much yet, but seems fun enough. I definately can see the same level getting old, but it is a huge level and the targets take a wide variety of routes that it takes different planning. For regular price, I may have been disappointed. For $.99, I'm happy with it.

The volume on the side of your device? ;) No, I don't think there is one. I guess I never even think to look because when I play games in places where I can't use sound I do just turn my device down. The ringer sound out side of the game is still there separate outside of the game, although I have my phone on vibrate 99.9% of the time.

Edit: You CAN turn off the sound in-game. If you pause, there are two buttons in the middle. One turns of sound effects. The other turns off the music. So you should be good to go!

----

Have to say I'm a little disappointed in Rustbucket. The very similar I Wanna Be A Hero is much better IMO (yeah, they both share the typical rogue like experience but they also are similar in design if not graphically). Just my 2 cents but I'll stick with Hero.

Thank you! Totally missed that somehow. For me it's mostly I want to listen to podcasts while playing so I need a way to kill the sound. I absolutely despise games that outright kill podcasts and play their music or sound instead. Hero Embems just continued to play in the background, but that's pretty annoying, too. ;)

sheaaaa

Really disappointed with Rust Bucket. Most of what Nitrome puts out is good, but this one just feels like the same by-the-numbers turn-based thing that we've seen dozens of times. Gunbrick was a great little puzzler that was wholly unique; Rust Bucket feels like it's been done elsewhere, and better to boot.

On the other hand, finally picked up Card Crawl and it is superb. Great little time-waster with rounds that you can finish in minutes, but with enough depth and challenge that you can't sleepwalk through. Really enjoying it.

Matt Frost

Really disappointed with Rust Bucket. Most of what Nitrome puts out is good, but this one just feels like the same by-the-numbers turn-based thing that we've seen dozens of times. Gunbrick was a great little puzzler that was wholly unique; Rust Bucket feels like it's been done elsewhere, and better to boot.

The formula feels old because is an improvment of the game from a developer from Nitrome. ENDING was innovative and every game copied it. That why it feels so familiar. But the base game is one of the pioneers of puzzle roguelike (on iOS) and RustBucket improves on it immensely.

sheaaaa

The formula feels old because is an improvment of the game from a developer from Nitrome. ENDING was innovative and every game copied it. That why it feels so familiar. But the base game is one of the pioneers of puzzle roguelike (on iOS) and RustBucket improves on it immensely.

Fair play to them if they're expanding on a formula they pioneered, but it doesn't change the fact that what I played of Rust Bucket (admittedly not that much) felt like nothing new. I've played Ending and didn't get along with it as well, and even something like Lara Croft GO which is arguably similar in terms of mechanics left me cold. Genre not for me, I guess.

I am curious as to how Rust Bucket improves on Ending immensely. Could you elaborate? Much of this thread is about how game X and Y are amazing but 80% of the time the games leave me cold, so I would really like to know in this case as a big fan of Nitrome. Thanks!

awp69

For some reason, I'm not quite feeling RustBucket either. Don't get me wrong. It's decent, but I prefer another recent rogue-like, I Wanna Be A Hero, over it. Neither does a lot different, but the gameplay feels better in Hero. Can't really describe how, but it does for me. The fuzzy pixelated graphics are also getting too played out. But it's pretty hard to differentiate yourself in the turn-based puzzlish rogue-like genre though.

And I love Nitrome so I still have the highest respect for them and hope I'm not coming off mean-spirited. Gunbrick was in my top 10 for the year until a few newer releases dropped it out.

Edit: Played both games again. And I guess both are good at what they are. RustBucket's emphasis more on puzzle elements. Hero having a more RPG aspect with leveling up. Saw there were complaints about Hero's controls. The d-pad works fine for me.

In any case, there are better rogue likes than either of them. I still probably hold The Nightmare Cooperative as my favorite in the genre.

Zzoram

I can never load the first post in these threads on my iPad 4. I usually can't even load enough to click next page. I have to google page 2 of these threads and enter there.

You'd think an iOS thread would be more mobile friendly.

Top Bottom