• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2015 | Apple bans the revolution

Matt Frost

Something that looks cool is coming tonight... a mix of Snake and Crossy Road in a 3D cube maze. Interesting twist. Also was made by Craneballs (creators of Overkill) and is free with NO IAP and stuff like that. Cant wait.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/cube-worm/id1017253924?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

screen640x640.jpeg

awp69

Won't be able to play even if you have the game downloaded and installed?
why?

It requires an Internet connection and they're shutting the server down. Other than a license check I have no idea why it requires it. And of that is the only reason, they should have updated the game to remove it. Especially if I had paid $10 for it recently, I'd be pissed although I would hope Apple would allow refunds in this instance.

Rlan

Well, I'm off on a long awaited holiday tomorrow, from Australia to Europe. but before I go I wanted to give you guys some news!

Next week's a big week for Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride - keep your eyes peeled!

chris121580

I miss the days of going to the TA forums and seeing tons of new titles with NZ in front of them with videos on Wednesdays. Their new forum set up is hideous and makes it difficult to look at and read. They need a new release sub forum because it's annoying to have to weed through all the other titles. I just come here for new releases anymore because one of you all usually knows the worthy releases of the week. /endrant

killercow

I miss the days of going to the TA forums and seeing tons of new titles with NZ in front of them with videos on Wednesdays. Their new forum set up is hideous and makes it difficult to look at and read. They need a new release sub forum because it's annoying to have to weed through all the other titles. I just come here for new releases anymore because one of you all usually knows the worthy releases of the week. /endrant

The fact that you can't see NZ releases as early as before on TA is also down to the fact that the Appstore hasn't been functioning well the past few months and new releases are hard to find. If you want a really clear view of new releases though, I'd recommend Pete Ozzy's blog:
https://pixelatedparadise.wordpress.com/

PS: If you want to see every new releases on TA with one simple link, use this one:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/forum...rt=dateline&order=desc&daysprune=-1&prefixid=

awp69

Crescent Moon published Operation Dracula, a premium bullet hell shmup, looks interesting.

And on the shmup front, .Decluster is currently free. It's "remix" version, .Decluster Zero releases next week.

chris121580

The fact that you can't see NZ releases as early as before on TA is also down to the fact that the Appstore hasn't been functioning well the past few months and new releases are hard to find. If you want a really clear view of new releases though, I'd recommend Pete Ozzy's blog:

PS: If you want to see every new releases on TA with one simple link, use this one:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/forum...rt=dateline&order=desc&daysprune=-1&prefixid=

Awesome, thanks! This is extremely helpful!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Their forums are pretty bad these days. I stopped going there for this reason.

Yeah, Pete is a cool guy. His site is one of my main resources for new releases

Matt Frost

Well, I'm off on a long awaited holiday tomorrow, from Australia to Europe. but before I go I wanted to give you guys some news!

Next week's a big week for Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride - keep your eyes peeled!

How long has it been since they were both released? Maybe 5 years since Fruit Ninja and 4 with Jetpack Joyride? That is some awesome support right there, tons of devs have to learn a thing or two about Halfbrick. Wish you guys the best in the world :)

Will be checking that new JJ update, hoping is a game changer :D

Their forums are pretty bad these days. I stopped going there for this reason.

They banned almost all their users who gave useful feedback and the one who werent banned left because of that. Its their own fault.

Awesome, thanks! This is extremely helpful!

Is also on the first post of this thread at the bottom of the first post, each month. Really helpful site.

Matt Frost

Why would they do this?

The problem is with their mods, they act like they own the place, with personal vendettas, personal BS and not caring for the fate of the forum. They should demote them and give the status to other members, it's like with politics for example, too much time in power ends up corrupting people.

Why would they do this?

The problem is with their mods, they act like they own the place, with personal vendettas, personal BS and not caring for the fate of the forum. They should demote them and give the status to other members, it's like with politics for example, too much time in power ends up corrupting people.
Probably best to take this discussion to PMs.

Discussing the pros and cons of sites on their review coverage, quality, and whatnot is fine IMO, but stuff like this kind of derails the thread. I recall a few threads ago when there was another TA-focused discussion that went on for a page or two.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I can get the gist of it, and I'm not surprised. Happens often when there's not strong management at the top.

Can someone recommend a game that is like 2048/Threes? My gf has put about 2,000 hours into 2048 and is looking for something new. I know there are a ton of copycats out there, but I'd like something along the same lines without just being a copy.

awp69

I can get the gist of it, and I'm not surprised. Happens often when there's not strong management at the top.

It's actually quite the opposite, but I'll leave it at that. And also to say that not all TA mods are bad.

But I agree with More_Badass, it's a battle that can't be won and better to just leave discussion of it out over here, where things are much, cozier.

I will once again hint to our PG insider.. Ah, em, More_B.... to try to strongly encourage his bosses to put up a forum.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Can someone recommend a game that is like 2048/Threes? My gf has put about 2,000 hours into 2048 and is looking for something new. I know there are a ton of copycats out there, but I'd like something along the same lines without just being a copy.

Twenty is just great; one of the few games in the genre where practice makes you get better and better, instead of a relatively quick plateau followed by repetition.

ICan someone recommend a game that is like 2048/Threes? My gf has put about 2,000 hours into 2048 and is looking for something new. I know there are a ton of copycats out there, but I'd like something along the same lines without just being a copy.
Sword & Dragon
It shares a similar mechanic to Threes - swipe to combine tiles for greater values - but it's more of an action puzzle game, as you need to kill dragons and protect your health tile

It's a cool hidden gem
jjirvtV.jpg

Something that looks cool is coming tonight... a mix of Snake and Crossy Road in a 3D cube maze. Interesting twist. Also was made by Craneballs (creators of Overkill) and is free with NO IAP and stuff like that. Cant wait.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/cube-worm/id1017253924?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

screen640x640.jpeg
It's a nice idea, and it looks nice, but it has a major flaw IMO, in that the cube world rotates too fast and at odd angles. Meaning that you won't be able to see your snake, sometimes for seconds at a time.

And in a game like Snake, that's a big flaw.

Matt Frost

Agree More Badass, that and the grid movement of the snake makes it hard to play. And since iOS 9 doesnt let me remove apps it seems I will try harder. After trying harder I found out a cube that freezes the world for a few seconds, and your snakes keeps on going... in that small grid... meaning that you will your snake will meet a certain death. Not fun.

awp69

Agree More Badass, that and the grid movement of the snake makes it hard to play. And since iOS 9 doesnt let me remove apps it seems I will try harder.

Huh? What do you mean iOS 9 doesn't let you remove apps? Is that part of the deal with previewing the build?

Matt Frost

It seems that when trying to delete and app, if you wait a few seconds iOS freezes and have to do a hard reset. I can delete if fast enough. Reporting now... and yes, it part of the deal to have some bugs here and there like not being able to download apps sometimes, some crashes, games not working (just one but damn I want to play it xD). But battery saver is absolutely worth it.

Also want to mention two apps that arent games, Facetune and Enlight -will be permanent additions to my home page and from now on my tools for photo editing-. I have almost all of them and can say that Enlight is the best one by far, more than Snapseed (do all the things these one does and far more), Camera+ (eerr, deleted), Pixelmator (why didnt I ask for a refund), CameraPlus (deleted... a long time ago), and many more I am forgetting the name... Highly recommended. Facetune is for editing selfies and making them as perfect and as model alike as it can be. It really delivers in that department. For everything else, Enlight.

okno

Card Crawl players: how do you go about getting a higher score? I can't seem to get anything higher than 64, and I have played dozens of games. I still need to unlock a lot of cards, but 64 seems to be the absolute best I can do.

Also, anyone who was a fan of Tap Titans NEEDS to play Tap Quest. It's the same basic idea, but this one actually has a purpose in that you tap left or right on the screen to defend your tower (and Princess). It's seriously addicting, and feels more rewarding and worthwhile than any other tap game I've played.

Shaneus

Card Crawl players: how do you go about getting a higher score? I can't seem to get anything higher than 64, and I have played dozens of games. I still need to unlock a lot of cards, but 64 seems to be the absolute best I can do.
Been a little while since I've fired it up, but from memory using card mirrors on 10-coin cards helps, cutting health as close as possible at the end and cashing in as many potions (and weapons and shields and whatever) as possible whilst still being able to win. I think my highest score is somewhere in the 90s, which isn't the best but it's still kind of up there.

killercow

I lost interest in Angry Birds a while ago, but man, this looks great in motion and being able to choose your bird adds a nice puzzle element to the destruction.

The freeemium aspects were quite a roadblock in "Under Pigstruction" so I'm not too interested either.

Possibly. I just played it at the beginning of the Soft-Launch so it could have been modified.
Just noticed the hearts meter on the map, so I'm guessing that's some kind of energy element?

So far the freemium elements don't really distract from the gameplay for me.

killercow

Just noticed the hearts meter on map, so I'm guessing that's some kind of energy element?

So far the freemium elements don't really distract from the gameplay for me.

It's the heart system that stopped me from playing. At some point, the multi-stage levels were too difficult to finish in one go and you had to use hearts to continue without retrying the level. This then lead to a point where I didn't have any hearts and had to wait in order to play. With the difficulty increasing, I couldn't be bothered to wait and deleted it.

It's the heart system that stopped me from playing. At some point, the multi-stage levels were too difficult to finish in one go and you had to use hearts to continue without retrying the level. This then lead to a point where I didn't have any hearts and had to wait in order to play. With the difficulty increasing, I couldn't be bothered to wait and deleted it.
Ah, those damn timers

That's the same thing that ruined Trials for me. I thought the gameplay and visuals were solid, but the excessive timers and endless grinding overshadows any positives that game had

killercow

Ah, those damn timers

That's the same thing that ruined Trials for me. I thought the gameplay and visuals were solid, but the excessive timers and endless grinding overshadows any positives that game had

Yup. And I find that those timers and F2P elements just make you question everything. "Is this even possible?" "Do I need to spend some money?" "Is the difficulty higher because they want me to pay?"

And this type of questioning can last for the entire experience... Whenever that happens I'm not tempted to spend anything on the app. I just want to delete it.

And yeah, I had the same experience with Trials. That and the fricking random loot.

Yup. And I find that those timers and F2P elements just make you question everything. "Is this even possible?" "Do I need to spend some money?" "Is the difficulty higher because they want me to pay?"

And this type of questioning can last for the entire experience... Whenever that happens I'm not tempted to spend anything on the app. I just want to delete it.

And yeah, I had the same experience with Trials. That and the fricking random loot.
Personally I'm pretty adamant about never spending money to skip timers or buy currency packs. That money can go to a hidden gem by some up-and-coming dev or some game on sale, rather than literally paying for time or money

Except for the rare game like Sky Force and maybe Angry Birds 2, not sure yet, I tend just to automatically delete anything that has a timer

Matt Frost

Angry Birds 2 is well, a modern take on the classic AB formula. Just improved and prettier. And then it gets killed. Killed by timers... in a trial and error game. Gamekiller. Deleted.

Personally I'm pretty adamant about never spending money to skip timers or buy currency packs. That money can go to a hidden gem by some up-and-coming dev or some game on sale, rather than literally paying for time or money

Absolutely agree with that sentence in bold. Why pay for virtual coins when you can buy a whole new game with that money.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
got Legend of Grimrock now that i can play it on my iPhone

what a great game, though the puzzles are pretty difficult. not sure i like the fact that there's a food mechanic in addition to puzzles - serves as an artificial timer of sorts.

besides that, it looks and controls great.

Benedict

Just finished Hitman GO and all the achievements.
This is a true classic and one of the best games ever made. Such a wonderful game.
Don't miss out.

Is there a release date for Tomb Raider GO?

Top Bottom