• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming March 2016 | Your backlog grows in tiny bits

Finally got around to buying Battlestation: Harbinger. Dev has done a lot of work on it since release, including two big content update that added new ships, races, environments, improved AI, an Endless mode, etc.

For $3.99, game is an absolute steal

Ok well I got dream quest, and it's legit amazing, shame about the ms paint graphics, but you get used to it
Oh yes. It's so good. Perhaps the biggest example of gameplay over graphics ever :p

Dev got tips and feedback directly from the creator of Magic, and was hired by Blizzard to work on Hearthstone

awp69

Ok well I got dream quest, and it's legit amazing, shame about the ms paint graphics, but you get used to it

Oh yes. It's so good. Perhaps the biggest example of gameplay over graphics ever :p

Dev got tips and feedback directly from the creator of Magic, and was hired by Blizzard to work on Hearthstone

So I'm guessing the gameplay is at least smoother than it was in the original? I thought I remember the gameplay being kind of stiff and lifeless (along with the animations). Don't think I even finished it.

awp69

I think you're thinking of a different game.
This Dream Quest
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dream-quest/id870227884

No. I'm definitely thinking of the original Mimpi platformer with the dog. It was published by Crescent Moon at that time.

Never even heard of that Dream Quest after looking at the link.

I'll have to redownload the original. I just thought I remembered the way the dog jumped was weird in both the way it looked and affecting gameplay. But maybe I need to check it out again.

dock

Power Hover update is almost finished, according to the dev

giphy.gif

Oh man I'm going to get all the Chaos Emeralds

No. I'm definitely thinking of the original Mimpi platformer with the dog. It was published by Crescent Moon at that time.
Heh, we're talking about two different games

Dream Quest and Mimpi Dreams
One's a CCG roguelike, the other's a puzzle platformer

dock

Oh, ok. Cool.

I remember feeling the original was kind of clunky. Will be interested to hear imps on this one.

First game is free right now, and my first impressions are that is it pretty clunky.

Hope the second game makes a better first impression. I'm wondering whether it might be something my GF will enjoy on Apple TV, as she wants to find games she likes but often finds jumping in platform games frustrating.

Right. Not referring to the CCG at all.
Never even heard of that Dream Quest after looking at the link.
You definitely need it to check it out one day. It's fantastic.

Some impressions I posted in another thread
Yes, let's get it out of the way first. The art in Dream Quest is...rudimentary. It's ugly. It's a turn-off for many, definitely was for me for a long time.

But I'm sure you've seen the opinion on GAF many times that gameplay comes first before story and whatnot, and in that regard, Dream Quest is a must play. It's probably the ultimate testament to that dictum of gameplay first.

If you don't want to take my word for it, consider that Blizzard hired the developer to work on Hearthstone, and that Richard Garfield, the creator of Magic, was such a big fan of the game that he personally reached out to Whalen and gave him feedback on how to improve the gameplay.

So yes, Dream Quest is a fantastic game.

What make Dream Quest's gameplay so good? It's masterfully designed marriage of roguelike and deck-building card game, with a plethora of distinct classes and unique enemies. Like the best in the genre, it constantly rewards you with an addictive dripfeed of new unlocks, not only imbuing the game with that "one more go" appeal but also meaning your strategies and tactics grow as you progress

You start off competent, but soon your deck grows and compounds until you're a mean lean enemy-slaughtering machine with deck synergies that let you unleash multiplying damage and devastating status effects. Maybe you're a backstabbing Thief who can keep enemies at bay with their Jab and Circle cards. Or maybe you're a powerful Priest that annihilates foes by draining their health and buffing yourself with blessings. Or maybe you're a Samurai, or a Dragon, or Druid.

Yes, the classes are diverse, each with their special skills and styles to hone and focus on through building your deck.

The enemies you face are just as varied, and knowing the kinds of cards they might have is key to fine-tuning your plan of attack. Facing a Mime that can mirror your attacks and copy your own deck to use against you is very different from fighting a Thief or Lich

awp69

exploding kittens now has online multiplayer

I was curious about this game when it came out but passed due to the lack of online multiplayer.

Is the multiplayer turn-based like Words with Friends (there's a term for it that I'm forgetting ATM) or is it real time? Also, is there matchmaking?

killercow

I was curious about this game when it came out but passed due to the lack of online multiplayer.

Is the multiplayer turn-based like Words with Friends (there's a term for it that I'm forgetting ATM) or is it real time? Also, is there matchmaking?

The term you're looking for is asynchronous ;) But I don't know, sorry (don't kill me).

awp69

If anyone with Exploding Kittens can confirm that the online is asynchronous, I'm going to pick it up. Just hope there's a decent community base for it.

I'll probably out Mimpi on the back burner for now. Have so many unfinished puzzle platformers as it is.

This is probably a long shot, but I'm looking for some very particular mobile game recommendations. I'm kinda picky... here are some guidelines:

• Something action- or strategy-oriented that I can pick up and play for 2-3 minutes at a time then put down
  • No city builders like Clash of Clans or Fire Age
  • F2P or paid is fine, I'm even willing to put a few bucks into a F2P game if it's good and the IAP isn't too egregious
  • No puzzle / match-3 games
  • Something competitive (this one is a nice-to-have, not a deal-breaker)
  • No score chase games (think Flappy Bird or the million Ketchapp knockoff games)
  • Nothing with a virtual joystick
Basically I'm looking for a replacement for Clash Royale, which is a game I absolutely love playing... but I hate the insane economy and F2P mechanics of it and refuse to support it.

This is probably a long shot, but I'm looking for some very particular mobile game recommendations. I'm kinda picky... here are some guidelines:

• Something action- or strategy-oriented that I can pick up and play for 2-3 minutes at a time then put down
  • F2P or paid is fine, I'm even willing to put a few bucks into a F2P game if it's good and the IAP isn't too egregious
  • No score chase games (think Flappy Bird or the million Ketchapp knockoff games)
Basically I'm looking for a replacement for Clash Royale, which is a game I absolutely love playing... but I hate the insane economy and F2P mechanics of it and refuse to support it.
Maybe a tower defense game? That would be the only genre that would match up with those requirements. There a post just 2 pages back that had some TD recommendations. Maybe one of the Anomaly games? That has gameplay similar to Clash Royale.

Heel

Some turn-based multiplayer action and/or strategy games:
Frozen Synapse
Carcassonne
Super Stickman Golf 2

nampad

I was about to recommend Clash Royale because everything you listed fits to it but lol.
Anyways, why not just try to enjoy Clash Royale as a F2P player? Yeah, moving up is slow but the gameplay is still great.

What kind of strategy? Squad tactical, turn-based, card/board game, etc.?

My go-to recommendation for a quick game with some strategy usually tends to be Card Crawl. If you like roguelikes, 868-Hack or Hoplite are great.

On that note, mentioning 868-Hack got me to check out what Michael Brough has been doing, and turns out he's working on a new game

Imbroglio, a roguelike RPG with deck-building/CCG elements

So yeah, be very excited. Much like Terry Cavanagh, Brough's games are always good

awp69

That's not a good sign

No. I was just checking and it's not even in the Top 150 of paid games. WTF?!? And it was featured too, wasn't it?

I know it's "hardcore" but still thought it would have sold well. I mean it looks like a casual Rayman type game, which may be a bit deceptive but still.

It amazes me that a game as old as Bloons TD 5 is in the top 10. Not a bad game but how the hell does it keep selling so long after release? There's really quite a few games that are 2+ years old on the charts.

I get games like Minecraft that would have staying power based on the branding alone. But others have me scratching my head.

Yeah, I saw those. Stunning! Can't wait for it. Prefer premium but have a feeling they'll go F2P based on the success of Sky Force 2014, which didn't have too bad of a freemium model.
It'll also be on Steam if you want a paid version with no microtransactions

Ketch

Am I a bad person for not being able to get past the graphics in Templar battleforce?

Also, how shitty is it that skulls of the shogun is still broken.

I really need a game for this weekend you guys.

Am I a bad person for not being able to get past the graphics in Templar battleforce?

Also, how shitty is it that skulls of the shogun is still broken.

I really need a game for this weekend you guys.
What kind of game are you looking for? I forgot

Ketch

Something like darkest dungeon maybe. Or loot & legends, No internet connection required though as it won't be available really.

I think I might just go with 7 mages. What is the combat like in that game? Is it real time like LoG? Or strictly turn based?

Something like darkest dungeon maybe. Or loot & legends, No internet connection required though as it won't be available really.

I think I might just go with 7 mages. What is the combat like in that game? Is it real time like LoG? Or strictly turn based?
7 Mages is turn-based.

Let's see:
- Card Dungeon - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id663601812
- Five Card Quest - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/five-card-quest-tactical-rpg/id1045164931?mt=8
- Warhammer: Deathwatch - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/warhammer-40-000-deathwatch/id791134629?mt=8
Any of those appealing?

Ketch

yea actually I think im gonna try card dungeon. looks almost exactly like loot and legends but more rogue like. which im in to. thanks.

and im getting 7 mages too.

Oynox

What do you guys think of the iPhone 5SE? Probably not too much, mh? Too small screen for serious gaming. But I really like the fact that it has the size of an iPhone 5, but the power of an iPhone 6S... that is great.

What do you guys think of the iPhone 5SE? Probably not too much, mh? Too small screen for serious gaming. But I really like the fact that it has the size of an iPhone 5, but the power of an iPhone 6S... that is great.

should be a nice phone if you prefer the 4 inch screen size.

dock

dang, this looks good. 2D platformers are my bag. some good ones on iOS recently.

edit: oh shit this is on Apple TV tooooooo, instabought

Cdv5uFgWwAAUreA.jpg:large

We picked up Mimpi Dreams on the Apple TV last night. What a truly horrible experience.

The worst controls I have ever seen in a game, with even simple platforming made awkward and uncomfortable. Drag and hold the touchpad to walk, but click the touchpad for jump, and weird click and drag gestures with a virtual spring loaded crosshair to represent the touch gestures. Every minute of the game was hampered by horrible controls.

Top Bottom