• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming March 2016 | Your backlog grows in tiny bits

We picked up Mimpi Dreams on the Apple TV last night. What a truly horrible experience.

The worst controls I have ever seen in a game, with even simple platforming made awkward and uncomfortable. Drag and hold the touchpad to walk, but click the touchpad for jump, and weird click and drag gestures with a virtual spring loaded crosshair to represent the touch gestures. Every minute of the game was hampered by horrible controls.

Does it not work with an mfi controller?

killercow

- Why would I buy a Mfi controller for this?
- the game seems to rely heavily on touch/drag of objects in the environment. An Mfi controller wouldn't help for that at all.

Those kinds of platformers work a lot better with MFi controllers including this one. I'm quite happy that I bought one a while ago, it's really useful.

dock

Those kinds of platformers work a lot better with MFi controllers including this one. I'm quite happy that I bought one a while ago, it's really useful.

https://youtu.be/JVf84LnHtjc?t=133
If you look around 130 sends in you can see that you have to rotate three disc objects into position. This type of thing is weird with a floating cursor, and this is made worse by the fact that you're sometimes asked to drag objects while still moving the dog.

We picked up Mimpi Dreams on the Apple TV last night. What a truly horrible experience.

The worst controls I have ever seen in a game, with even simple platforming made awkward and uncomfortable. Drag and hold the touchpad to walk, but click the touchpad for jump, and weird click and drag gestures with a virtual spring loaded crosshair to represent the touch gestures. Every minute of the game was hampered by horrible controls.

One of the big criticisms the Apple development community has of the Apple TV is that games are required to have a Siri Remote control scheme.

There's a small handful of games that work with the remote (AG Drive is stunning) but generally you can assume it's just there because it has to be. Especially when it looks like a game like this, which sounds like a lazy port without any Apple TV control tweaks.

In the near future we may see MFi-only games on the Apple TV, and all the better for it.

Awesome, there are some roguelikes on there that I haven't played. Completely addicted to the genre. Been playing Wayward Souls and Hoplite quite a bit.
Such a great genre. Hoplite and WS are excellent

I'm completely hooked on 868-Hack now. Highly recommend checking that if you haven't. It has the perfect balance of risk v reward, every move you make matters, and there are so many great tactical synergies between the powers you can gather. Kind of like Hoplite, it's a roguelike that strips out all the fluff and focuses completely on the moment-to-moment gameplay.

Also Empire. It's not your typical roguelike, actually I don't think it's even described as one, but it definitely has that tension and that looming threat of permadeath. Basically it's a mix of 4X, deck-building, and tactical battles, on a corrupted map that grows more inhospitable and dangerous as you play.

awp69

One of the big criticisms the Apple development community has of the Apple TV is that games are required to have a Siri Remote control scheme.

There's a small handful of games that work with the remote (AG Drive is stunning) but generally you can assume it's just there because it has to be. Especially when it looks like a game like this, which sounds like a lazy port without any Apple TV control tweaks.

In the near future we may see MFi-only games on the Apple TV, and all the better for it.

I'm not big into controller support because I want my mobile games to be just that - mobile. But with Apple TV it makes absolutely no sense to NOT require good MFi support. I don't have it but the Siri remote sounds like crap. Android forces controller only support on some games (mostly Shield exclusives to my knowledge). No reason for tvOS games to not do the same.

dock

I honestly don't think a MFi controller would help for most of the puzzles. I think this game would be bad on PS4 or any other console. It just relies too much on dragging objects in on the screen to suit being on console at all.

I'm not big into controller support because I want my mobile games to be just that - mobile. But with Apple TV it makes absolutely no sense to NOT require good MFi support. I don't have it but the Siri remote sounds like crap. Android forces controller only support on some games (mostly Shield exclusives to my knowledge). No reason for tvOS games to not do the same.

I'm the same way. I don't use the controller much on the iPad or iPhone, but with the Apple TV, it's a must for those 80% of games that don't make sense on the Siri Remote.

I mean, the thing has so few inputs. Touchpad, one button, and gyro motion. That's just not enough to do anything. There was that Galaxy on Fire spin-off that was Siri-remote only and it was way too wonky; they patched in MFi and it's way better.

I honestly don't think a MFi controller would help for most of the puzzles. I think this game would be bad on PS4 or any other console. It just relies too much on dragging objects in on the screen to suit being on console at all.

Ah, so probably just a game that should have never been ported to the Apple TV in the first place. Disappointing to hear, though inevitable.

PittaGAF

Meanwhile, at Gilded Skull studio...the new module for Galactic Keep is shaping up very well...with tons of engine additions, like traps, as pictured.

GK_mini-nuke_passOne.gif

yourShip_vector.jpg

Who has played the original module, knows that we should be excited.

Lost Socks is on sale for $2.99 right now. After such positive feedback here, I bought it to go along with getting You Must Build a Bigger Boat yesterday for $0.99. Not a bad haul for $4.

Hmm. I might try sproggi wood from that list or just reinstall dungeons of the endless. I need decent graphics. I guess I'm shallow.
868-Hack and Hoplite are two of the best roguelikes on mobile. You're missing out big time if you like the genre and haven't played them

awp69

Hmm. I might try sproggi wood from that list or just reinstall dungeons of the endless. I need decent graphics. I guess I'm shallow.

868-Hack and Hoplite are two of the best roguelikes on mobile. You're missing out big time if you like the genre and haven't played them

I also will put in a plug for Sproggiwood. It's a little more casual than other roguelikes but still is difficult enough.

I actually like it's more bite sized mission based approach to the genre. It really is one of my favorite roguelikes and one of my favorite overall games on iOS. Hasn't left my device since I bought it.

dock

Rust Bucket probably has some of the best roguelike graphics.
Mostly it's a genre where art went to die, sadly.

Eh, considering some of the best and deepest are ASCII like Dwarf Fortress, Cataclysm, Brogue, etc., graphics don't really matter as much in roguelikes

awp69

It is funny that roguelikes tend to go with the retro vibe, but as MB notes it kind of doesn't seem to matter as much in the genre. Sproggiwood and Crowntakers are among the few that have a more modern look.

I thought I'd also throw a few more options in there. Wayward Souls is a classic, of course. And while I fell in love with Greedy Cave, it's freemium-ness began to show it's colors after 40 or so levels. So I've been playing Enchanted Cave 2 (which isn't as pretty but is really what Greedy Cave cloned).

PittaGAF

I'll throw in Nightmare Cooperative, one of my fav roguelike, with a modern and very peculiar look.

Very fast games too, perfect for mobile.

heringer

It is funny that roguelikes tend to go with the retro vibe, but as MB notes it kind of doesn't seem to matter as much in the genre. Sproggiwood and Crowntakers are among the few that have a more modern look.

I thought I'd also throw a few more options in there. Wayward Souls is a classic, of course. And while I fell in love with Greedy Cave, it's freemium-ness began to show it's colors after 40 or so levels. So I've been playing Enchanted Cave 2 (which isn't as pretty but is really what Greedy Cave cloned).

I think Wayward Souls is the only roguelike I ever enjoyed. Probably because it's pretty tight combat.

Actually, I suddenly have the urge to download the game again. What is RocketCat up to nowadays anyway? I wonder why they didn't port WS to Steam. Man, they would probably make a killing there.

PittaGAF

Yep. Good one!

Wasn't it not working on iOS 9 though? I don't have it installed.

Works like a charm, just tried.
It's imho one of the best of the best (I actually prefer it to Hoplite, which is stellar anyway, as they have similar gameplay mechanics).
I like a lot the different party combos and the RPG-like items....it's fast but getting to the end is damn difficult too.

The new that it was last Lucky Frame game saddened me to no end back in the days.

awp69

Works like a charm, just tried.
It's imho one of the best of the best (I actually prefer it to Hoplite, which is stellar anyway, as they have similar gameplay mechanics).
I like a lot the different party combos and the RPG-like items....it's fast but getting to the end is damn difficult too.

The new that it was last Lucky Frame game saddened me to no end back in the days.

Good that it still works since the dev sadly isn't around to support it. I actually have it on my Shield tablet from a Humble Bundle.

I try to put as many multi-platform games on my Android to keep as much space as possible on iPhone/iPad Mini 2 since there are way more games on iOS that aren't on Android.

And even doing that, I still don't have even close to enough room for everything I'd like to be playing. Then again, I don't have enough time to play all the things I want to be playing!

I think Wayward Souls is the only roguelike I ever enjoyed. Probably because it's pretty tight combat.

Actually, I suddenly have the urge to download the game again. What is RocketCat up to nowadays anyway? I wonder why they didn't port WS to Steam. Man, they would probably make a killing there.
They are currently working on the WS PC port. Supposedly by April or May.

Right now their working on Death Road to Canada for PC and iOS. Though I have been a little frustrated by the development of the game; they originally said that it would release on PC first, iOS a few months later then it became PC and iOS at the same time and now it's back to PC first with iOS release eventually when they can get to it.

heringer

They are currently working on the WS PC port. Supposedly by April or May.

Right now their working on Death Road to Canada for PC and iOS. Though I have been a little frustrated by the development of the game; they originally said that it would release on PC first, iOS a few months later then it became PC and iOS at the same time and now it's back to PC first with iOS release eventually when they can get to it.

Oh yeah, Death Road to Canada. Damn, seems like forever since the game was announced.

Well, I got addicted to Wayward Souls again anyway. Truly one of iOS greatests.

Aaron D.

Meanwhile, at Gilded Skull studio...the new module for Galactic Keep is shaping up very well...with tons of engine additions, like traps, as pictured.

Who has played the original module, knows that we should be excited.

Got an ETA on this one?

GK landed high on my overall GOTY '15 list.

PittaGAF

Got an ETA on this one?

GK landed high on my overall GOTY '15 list.

I have no clue (I'm no betatesting or anything, just saw the dev post on TA).
I did ask...knowing the dev I at least dared to hope it will be out this year....and he seemed positive.

awp69

Kinetic Damage, arguably the best fighter on iOS, has dropped to free permanently. No IAPs. No ads. In a TA thread, the dev said he just decided after three years to make it freely available to all.

RustyO

Kinetic Damage, arguably the best fighter on iOS, has dropped to free permanently. No IAPs. No ads. In a TA thread, the dev said he just decided after three years to make it freely available to all.

Kinetic Damage said:
The game has lived its good times on pricing, and while it didn't get the return on investment I was aiming at (barely covering the yearly app dev program), the critical reception was a very good reward on its own. I feel that 3 years later after its release, it should be offered to anyone who wants to play. I made it out of passion rather than business. Thanks for your incredible support Touch Arcade, I mean it. I hope you'll enjoy !

Whats the app dev program these days, US$99 still?

Technically I'm a registered Apple developer, but I do standalone cross platform stuff at the moment.

Every now and then, I think about making/finishing that iOS game, and get scared about making $27 for all my efforts. Especially the game I've got would be quite niche / probably wouldn't generate much sales.

Whats the app dev program these days, US$99 still?

Technically I'm a registered Apple developer, but I do standalone cross platform stuff at the moment.

Every now and then, I think about making/finishing that iOS game, and get scared about making $27 for all my efforts. Especially the game I've got would be quite niche / probably wouldn't generate much sales.
Any released games? Would love to check out your stuff

Aaron D.

I have no clue (I'm no betatesting or anything, just saw the dev post on TA).
I did ask...knowing the dev I at least dared to hope it will be out this year....and he seemed positive.

Good deal.

I'll be there Day One, throwing my money at the dev.

What an awesome game.

In a way, the simpler graphics allow for more depth and complexity, since the devs don't have to represent stuff visually or have art for every change or enemy or magic effect or whatnot. Maybe it's freeing in a way, aince they can focus 100% on mechanics. Consider that in Dwarf Fortress, your arm can be sliced off then a necromancer can control your arm and make it kill you. That level of complexity, it would be impossible to display all the possible permutations of events and actions if you have to show it with more advanced graphics. But through ASCII and text, it's all possible

Boney

Banned
Oh yeah, Death Road to Canada. Damn, seems like forever since the game was announced.

Well, I got addicted to Wayward Souls again anyway. Truly one of iOS greatests.
Did they ever rebalance the weapons? Most of the time default weapons were the best, so it stripped a lot of the looting aspect of dungeon crawlers

Moreche

I'm really surprised how well Calvino noir looks and plays on ATV4.
If the new Apple TV had launched with a A9X and game controller we could have been looking at a real contender.

If the new Apple TV had launched with a A9X and game controller we could have been looking at a real contender.

Apple TV has been getting a couple of really nice games every week now for the last couple of months.

Said it many times, but i wish apple would drop the requirement for the Siri remote and just show a warning for MFi controller only games when people are buying the app. Siri remote is just crappy experience for the majority of games.

It's never going to be a Xbox/PS4 beater be could be a great platform for some varied games and experiences.

If anyone with Exploding Kittens can confirm that the online is asynchronous, I'm going to pick it up. Just hope there's a decent community base for it.

It's not asynchronous. But the games go really fast and it's insanely fun. I spent like ten minutes evangelizing this game to my wife the other day (the day they added online multiplayer, because that's the first day I actually played a game of it), and I never do that about anything.

The tutorial is kinda weak (pro tip: tap the cards to see what they do, and expect to lose the first couple games until you get the strategy down). Otherwise, I can't say enough good things about Exploding Kittens.

PittaGAF

I loved Calvino Noir on iPad btw, great game...I wish for new chapters since I completed the whole game.

Speaking of that...the dev seems busy on a scifi game that looks awesome, even if I for are scarce at the moment (but concept art and first screenshots are very intriguing).

Top Bottom