• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2015 | May the Watch be with you

uM6g9rg.jpg

iRS2joacdYd5s.png

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain games that released both towards the end of the previous month and games that have released during the current month.
All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

Directory
1) Introduction & Recommended Games
2) Recommended Games continued
3) Upcoming Releases, Past Threads & Other Links

c9l3j0f.jpg

VjiejhD.jpg

Site | Trailer | App Store
One of the most acclaimed adventure games of all time is now back, better than ever.
Something's rotten in the land of the dead, and you're being played for a sucker. Meet Manny Calavera, travel agent at the Department of Death. He sells luxury packages to souls on their four-year journey to eternal rest. But there's trouble in paradise. Help Manny untangle himself from a conspiracy that threatens his very salvation.

screen1136x1136.jpeg
screen1136x1136.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

I have no self-control.

Bought Grim Fandango. Looks and plays perfectly on my 5S. Sound is perfect, controls are, so far, perfect, visuals look amazing. I cannot believe I am playing my favorite game of all time on my freaking phone!

VH33SQE.jpg

Legend of Grimrock is a dungeon crawling role playing game with an oldschool heart but a modern execution. A group of prisoners are sentenced to certain death by exiling them to the secluded Mount Grimrock for vile crimes they may or may not have committed. Unbeknownst to their captors, the mountain is riddled with ancient tunnels, dungeons and tombs built by crumbled civilizations long perished now. If they ever wish to see daylight again and reclaim their freedom the ragtag group of prisoners must form a team and descend through the mountain, level by level.
screen480x480.jpeg
screen480x480.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Have to say that the Legend of Grimrock is a fantastic port. Beautiful, brooding dungeon with those forboding sounds, light puzzles and monsters. The touch controls work perfectly.

Absolute steal for $5. Don't know if that's a launch price but it should be double that.

Oh my god! The iPad-version of Legend of Grimrock is fantastic! In terms of controls and graphics it's so perfect optimized for the iPad. iOS-version > PC-Version, imho.

I do not see enough love about the port of Legend of Grimrock.
Despite not being in a fantasy mood I bought it and yes, the port is stellar and as many have said...it's a really more visceral and intimate experience compared to the PC version (despite lack of real time monster shadows).

HT6r1Xc.jpg

THE day of atonement is nigh. Memory has fallen and the world is broken. Hone your blades, name it, and kiss your beloved good-bye — you are marching into battle. Gather Memory, redeem the Corrupt and vanquish the agents of nightmare from the realm. Find your Boon and reclaim Cadmeia from Kerr the Breaker.
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

And dudes, you HAVE to check out Ire: Blood Memory. Remarkable game with what, so far, seems to be a very fair F2P system. This should have been premium with optional IAPs. It's short burst gaming but soooo good. Even carries over the "invasion" MP aspect from Dark Souls. The monsters are simply awesome.

It's difficult, but old school difficult vs pay to win so far. I've earned quite a bit of gold and you have to progress through the game just to buy certain things so I think the IAPs are truly optional.

For a free download, no reason not to give it a shot.

I gota say this is an amazingly balanced game. I'm an avid fan of the souls game and I must say well done.

Have to agree with the Ire love fest. Really well made game, and immensely satisfying. Got home from work at 1am last night and didn't go to bed until almost 3am @_@

ftp95zG.jpg

Enter Heroes and Castles 2, a 3rd person action-RPG, strategy, and castle defense mash-up! Choose from one of three powerful races, customize your hero, summon a massive army to fight beside you in battle, defend your castle, conquer lands, and ultimately destroy the enemy stronghold!
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Impressions to be added soon

rVPthI0.jpg

Delve into a strange cave with a seemingly endless supply of treasure, strategically choosing your battles to gather as much treasure as possible!
Find rare artifacts, gold, and stat gems, and traverse the skill tree to become your choice of a mage, warrior, alchemist, or a mix of skills. Craft potions, enchant your equipment, and discover secret areas! But be careful because the cave has become quite dangerous lately with more explorers going missing every day…

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Timotheus said:
The Enchanted Cave 2 is really great! It's so addictive to collect loot und level up your character. The skill tree is pretty extensive!
zatara said:
So far I love it, the controls are perfect for combat and movement. The loot drops are generous enough to keep playing to get better shit and craft and enchant better shit. The skill tree is huge I haven't even scratched the surface of it yet so I can see myself playing this for a while.

TC6bJME.jpg

Prepare to join Knights of Pen & Paper 2 in a turn-based, retro style, pixel-art adventure full of danger, intrigue, and semi-appropriate cultural references!
Players portray both party and game master playing a tabletop RPG, and must assemble both their characters, and the challenges they will face.

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Knights of Pen and Paper 2 is excellent so far.

The party customization is so elegantly simple and clean that it motivates me to make the most efficient party as possible. And given how varied all the classes and players are, I kinda feel overwhelmed which is the best type of problem to have.

TXUyFX1.png

Indulge Lady Tallowmere and see how far through her lovingly violent dungeons you can delve in this 2D indie action roguelike-inspired platformer.
New rooms are procedurally generated every time you play, meaning you'll have to be on your guard for every randomly-placed enemy, elite, boss, and treasure chest you'll come across.
How far can you make it?

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

i8JQOtD.jpg

DEAD EYES is a turn-based puzzle game in a grey foggy world being taken over by zombies.
In every stage, you will help Jack, a curly-haired boy left alone, survive and reach the destination alive.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

FTYNWMr.jpg

The land of Kakhabad is a wilderness - a ruined desert, a tangled forest, cruel mountains and fissures, all guarded by seven fearsome serpents. But you must cross this land if you are to reach Mampang and the Crown of Kings. Rely on your wits or fight your way through - play with honour, or lie, cheat and steal - the choices are all yours.
From the creators of TIME's Game of the Year 2014, "80 Days", comes the third instalment in the acclaimed Steve Jackson's Sorcery! series. An interactive story told through thousands of choices, all of which are remembered, where no two adventures are the same.

screen1136x1136.jpeg
screen1136x1136.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

I received a review copy of Sorcery 3 and it's SUPER good. I like it more than 80 Days. The Sorcery books remain one of my absolute favorite gaming experiences of the last several years.

I started the series over and in roughly 5 evenings went through Sorcery 1, 2 and 3 back-to-back and it felt incredibly epic with lots of consequence. Choices you made and items you picked up in book 1 create pretty significant story branches in book 3. There is an easily-missable item in book 2 (The Serpent Ring) that deeply changes several significant interactions in book 3, for example.

The big gameplay twist in Sorcery 3 is that Inkle has turned it into an open world. You can go in almost any direction at any time. You're still encouraged to get through the game quickly to prevent just scouring every corner of the world map. Overall this is a design improvement - it feels better than being cut off from large portions of the city of Kahre for example, which always felt stressful. But there is a small downside to it - I needed to find a specific item to complete Sorcery 3, and I didn't know where it was. So I ended up having to tab through lots of redundant text as I criss-crossed the map.

It's a fantastic feeling to pick up more and more magic items and have a lot more flexibility in what spells to cast when, compared to Sorcery 1 when 90% of the spellbook was cut off to you.

The clue system from Sorcery 2 is also back, and feels more important and valuable. The whole point of the game is to hunt down and kill seven serpents, so unlocking a bunch of their locations and weaknesses through smart dialogue choices feels great.

My ranking would be:

Sorcery 3 = Sorcery 2 > 80 Days > Sorcery 1.

ot3jopP.jpg

Twenty years after the fall of Earth, the remnants of the Human race are once again faced with extinction. The time has come to justify our existence. A mysterious life form known as the XADA squares off against humanity's last weapon - the War-Mech series III battle suit.
Features: Stunning console-quality graphics, first-class voice acting and Hollywood-grade audio production. Full orchestral scores masterfully mixed by Grammy Award winner and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy engineer, John Kurlander.

screen1136x1136.jpeg
screen1136x1136.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Decided to pick up Implosion. Only played the first two missions but I'm impressed so far.

First thing, the controls are solid. You can seamlessly switch between melee and ranged weapons and touch controls is responsive and easy to use. The gameplay has a nice amount of depth. Besides the stats boosts you can equip and the skills you can unlock, the combat itself is satisfying and not simply "mash attack to win". Pulling off heavy attacks require timing and you can dodge enemy attacks with ease. As you level up, you can equip new weapons and augmentations

There's a nice variety of enemies so far, with mini-boss types that I only can imagine will become more prominent later. Each stage has a harder version as well as optional challenges to complete. There's also a separate Expert mode to unlock

Visually the game is great. Animations are fast and fluid, and everything from the menus to the opening cutscene and animated cinematics are polished.

Missions tend to be short, but that lends them better to replaying for new badges. I haven't died yet, but other impressions indicate that the difficulty does pick up.

All in all seems like a game that would feel at home on Vita or Steam. Voice acting, nice visuals, deep combat, and solid controls. The shorter missions seem better suited for mobile, but there's a hefty amount of content and replay value here, so I don't think length will be an issue.
Just have to say that I feel pretty comfortable calling Implosion by far the best action/adventure hack n' slash on iOS. The gameplay just feels so good, massive bosses, varying missions and tons of replayability with badges and higher difficulties. Probably the only thing that could be a bit better is the whole Ark system, which is a bit confusing when you don't know whether something is equipped in a different slot, etc.

It's just a minor annoyance because the polish, voice acting annd graphics are all fantastic. It's the gameplay though that will keep me coming back. It's about time a developer nailed the genre. There's been a few good hack n slashes but none that come as close to matching console level fun as this one. A nice blend of DMC and God of War type fighting with dungeon crawling, loot and a sci-fi setting to boot.

Would love to see Rayark expand upon the formula here in a Medieval fantasy world someday.it would be an instant purchase.

Also glad to see it's #34 in paid games despite the $10 price tag. It deserves to go even higher and yet again proves premium games can work on iOS. And $10 is still a bargain.
Implosion is really good. Best hack and slash on the Appstore, though that's not saying much.

dVXPNAI.jpg

Trigonarium is a hardcore twin-stick shooter for fans of challenging arcade gaming.
- Arcade mode with epic bosses to push your skills to the limit
- Challenge modes for intense quick play sessions
- Local 2 player cooperative play available for all modes
- Rock solid 60fps gameplay

screen1136x1136.jpeg
screen1136x1136.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Trigonarium is really cool. Tight controls, silky smooth action, and it gets very hectic. Levels changing around you, as enemies spawn in, and your upgraded homing missile streak across the screen. I reached the first boss and promptly died. My main gribe is if you die, you need to start from the beginning again. There's a nice amount of content: arcade mode, single levels, challenges, co-op
I been enjoying Trigonarium and Dragon Hills. The first one is a cool twin stick shooter that is always evolving, changing around you and throwing things at you. Controls well -the boost needs some time getting used to- to move around, different power-ups, NO IAP, and lots of cool touches here and there

2lyyV29.jpg

A strategic driving game from the award-winning maker’s of Smash Hit. Does not Commute is a temporal paradox in which you have no one to blame but yourself. What starts out as a relaxing commute in a small town of the 1970's quickly devolves into traffic chaos with hot dog trucks, sports cars, school buses and dozens of other vehicles. You drive them all. Plan ahead. Don't be late.
screen1136x1136.jpeg
screen1136x1136.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

The menu in Does Not Commute is polish made videogame.

The actual game feels like playing 'Desperate Housewives'...with all those cool stories about the neighbourhood (written by a Simogo dev, no less).

hF7OWGJ.jpg

Site (N/A) | Trailer | App Store
Team up as Garnet, Pearl, Amethyst, and Steven to stop a powerful Gem weapon in Attack the Light!
Fire off Garnet’s Rocket Gauntlets, summon Holo-Pearl, and put the hurt on your enemies with Purple Puma. All four Gems have unique attacks and upgrades.

screen1136x1136.jpeg
screen1136x1136.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

I've been playing this a lot lol, I just unlocked the last world. The game is a ton of fun, charming, streamlined, and actually pretty damn challenging. The Harmony mechanic and dialogue choices are perfectly fitting for the kind of show Steven Universe is, and work well within the game. It really is like a Paper Mario/Mario RPG on your smartphone, and the experience can be as long or as bite-sized as you want it to be. Definitely worth the $3.
I'm into the third area and having a great time. Combat is interesting and fun, and the ways they've streamlined the movement for mobile are actually really smart. Lots of nice little touches sprinkled through the experience to add variety, like simple puzzles and conversation choices.

For a couple of bucks you can't go wrong.
Ive been playing this and enjoying it a lot. Near the end of world 3 with worlds 1 and 2 100%d.

If anyone is wondering, the game is very focused on the battles themselves (which are great and play like a Mario RPG), the parts where you're moving around the map are super simplified and the game is broken up into levels. Theres times where Steven has to answer a question and depending on your choice a Gem will receive an exp/health boost (generally the more cautious answer will give Pearl the boost etc).

AliLspg.jpg

Rex Rocket is a 2D platformer that has old-school and younger gamers alike praising its challenging gameplay, gorgeous pixel environments, and awesome power-ups. Toss in a catchy chiptunes soundtrack with some quirky dialogue (warning: random references aplenty!) and you've got yourself one of the most memorable retro-inspired indie games!
screen1024x1024.jpeg
screen1024x1024.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Man, Rex Rocket is fantastic.

Controls are great, nice layouts to explore and sweet platformimg and shooting.
Rex Rocket is awesome. It controls very nicely, and it seems, at least at this initial stage, like a very good metroidvania.

dKdHeIU.jpg

In Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities, you will play Rose Hawkins, a strong independent woman looking for Eden, a missing child. Rose wakes up wounded in a strange place she doesn't recognize. While looking for the young girl, she will find herself locked in a never ending tragedy; frozen in time. Rose will need to confront her deepest fears to unveil the mystery behind her terrifying investigation.
screen1136x1136.jpeg
screen1136x1136.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Honestly can say that I'm starting to get more and more disappointed with Forgotten Memories. It looks great and oozes with atmosphere, but it's just sub-par for a survival horror game. Too much backtracking. And, yes, the save system is a pain in the ass.

ibyHj0Eql09WPw.png

A friend of mine has a blog and does daily roundups of iOS releases. http://pixelatedparadise.wordpress.com/
Skiing Yeti Mountain - May 21st
Door Kickers - May
This War of Mine - possibly May, "soon"
More releases to be added soon

ippJAuUVwHtsA.png
This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.
iq4XyeMdqqoju.png
iPyNA27sLHkAs.jpg
iCade Hardware / Games reviews said:

iOUdKomG1O1K3.png

iOS Gaming April 2015 | April sales bring May backlogs
iOS Gaming March 2015 | Beware the IAPs of March
iOS Gaming February 2015 | Under New Management
iOS Gaming December 2014/January 2015

Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

if6jTSmBmYIcK.png
ibkCJVCVCRONTR.png
iIxEI6FTPvnDN.png

### The Game Center user list is here: quote to see ###
iOS Membership said:
Rules
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you want to be added or taken off the list, following this text formatting: GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)
  • When adding someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you are already on the list but want to update your profile with more info like iOS devices(s) owned, or to just change your existing GC profile.
  • We are on the list and, if you are too, it's OK to add us even if we're not best buddies; don't be shy: we enjoy having more GAFers challenging us on the friends leaderboards.
  • Don't just wait for others to add you first you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that's also an option.
  • Remember: Your real name will be visible to your GC friends.
  • You can add everyone on the list at once; click the second sheet on the iOS Membership list and read the instructions, works on iOS and Macs
ibgtQNEI0Jnx7a.png

### The form to enter yourself to the list is here: quote to see ###

idg3hDZGrbbeF.png
How do I back up my game saves for games that do not support iCloud save games?
iFunBox no longer works on most games post iOS 8.3
Use a file manager program such as i-FunBox (PC/Mac) - It's free and requires no jailbreak. i-FunBox has many different features, but to back up save games you would just want to do the following:
  • Click the iFunBox Classic tab
  • Connect your iOS device, via WiFi or USB, it should then appear in the Connected Devices list on the left side of the UI.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to back up save games for.
  • Select the Documents and Library folders and copy them one at a time to your PC/Mac - this will copy the folders and all their contents. They contains your save files and settings for the game. Some games only use Documents, some use both.
To restore a backed up save game do the reverse.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to restore save games for.
  • Select the Documents and/or Library folders and choose to copy from PC/Mac.
  • Navigate to where you saved the backed up Documents and/or Library folders on your PC/Mac, open them and select all the files within it and open them. This will copy the folder contents back onto your iOS device.
  • Restart/fully close the game itself and your saves should be back!
Check that the file structure of the game is retained, e.g. GameName > Documents > files after you're done (no Documents folder within the Documents folder!), otherwise the game will not recognize your restored saves!
How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?
Your real first and last name (taken from your Apple ID) will be shown to your GC friends. If you value that information and want GAF's leaderboards to show your GAF nickname instead, here's how you do it:
  • Go to http://appleid.apple.com and log in with your Apple ID details via "Manage your Apple ID".
  • In the "Name, ID and Email Addresses" section, click Edit on the Your Name field at the top.
  • Change you First and Last name (you must enter both) to whatever you like (e.g. First Name: Tunesmith, Last Name: GAF)
Done, now that's who you're going to be listed as on your friend's Game Center leaderboards. This will affect Game Center *and* your Apple ID. If it's the same account you use for App Store/iTunes, you will still be able to use it for iTunes/App Store's purchases (you can still buy whatever you want like you could before) *BUT* in the receipt it'll show your nickname or whatever you chose as First Name and Last Name when you changed those fields. The first time you will use the modified account on App Store/iTunes, you will be asked to verify the account by re-entering the 3 digits code of the credit card's CCV security code (if you make your purchases using a credit card).
Should I buy this new high-priced game or wait for a sale?
Maybe! Just be aware that iOS games have a tendency to go on sale frequently and unpredictably, even recent games can be a dollar rather than premium $4-5. Spend your pack of gum money wisely. As a recommendation, set up a RSS feed for the price changes on http://appshopper.com/which will then notify you of any price fluctuations for old and new games alike.
I just got an iPhone/iPad. What are the best games?
In addition to checking out the past month's iOS Gaming threads, visit Why iOS Rocks / iOS Hidden Gems. You're welcome and your wallet will hurt.
For gaming, should I get the iPad Mini 2, or iPad Air?
Both have their pros and cons. The Mini 2 is cheaper and smaller but there is a slight difference between the Air's A7 chip and the mini's A7: the mini's is around 100MHz slower -- 1.3GHz compared to the Air's 1.4GHz. Other than that they're both identical in spec. It's very much a coin toss between if you want a 9.7" or a 7.9" screen.
I'm a new iOS user, what non-gaming apps should I get ASAP?
This thread would be a great place to start. Asking here wouldn't hurt either!

iizlxIqJuSAnx.png

Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!
Special thanks to Tunesmith for his fantastic thread format and month after month of hard work in maintaining these threads
As well as to JCho133 for the clever thread title suggestion

Love the pun!
Yay new thread :)
Yay! Sorry for the delay.

This is going to be a good month! Can't recommend Door Kickers enough, it was one of my first PC purchase all the back in 2013 and it's probably my favorite tactical strategy game. I always thought the controls would work great on touch, nice big icons, simple dragging to set routes, etc. Really hope it sells well on iPad

FerranMG

Subbed!

Currently hooked on AdVenture Capitalist and Motorsport Manager (this was (is?) on sale for 0.99€.

Zodzilla

FYI: Might want to add an edit to that first question in the FAQ stating that iFunBox no longer works on most games post iOS 8.3.

PFD

Are we back in Gaming? Is this real life? (completely missed the last few threads because of community)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thanks for the thread!

Is Tunesmith ok btw? I'm worried since he usually makes these thread, or am I mistaken?

PFD

Thanks for the thread!

Is Tunesmith ok btw? I'm worried since he usually makes these thread, or am I mistaken?

From what I remember he got real busy with work at some point, and More_Badass offered to create the next thread

awp69

With all the good things being said about the sequel, I decided to go back and okay The Enchanted Cave, which was in my backlog. Well, it doesn't work on iOS 8.2.

So I bought it for my Shield Tablet and am really liking it. When I finish it, definately picking up the second one since it sounds like it added quite a bit.

okno

Going to check out The Enchancted Cave 2 right now, as it sounds right up my alley for today: laying in bed doing absolutely NO work. No emails, no phone calls, no nothing. Just zen out.

Anyone else try out Wedding Escape? It's a cute little puzzle game that has a slightly unique gameplay. There are two pieces that have two colors (silver/gold coins, blue/purple squares) and you match 3+ by tapping or dragging over like colors to flip them to match shapes and make matches (does that make sense? I can't tell). You have four power ups you can use once you match x amount of each color, but you can only use them when you have a power shape in play which happens when you make a 4+ match. The game is broken up into stages and you advance by meeting a quota of tiles to remove within a certain amount of moves, with each stage getting progressively more difficult.

The presentation of the game is adorable, and you can unlock up to 60 new characters. Everytime you finish a stage with a surplus of moves, you earn $1 per extra move. Once you reach $100, you earn a random character!

It does have some IAP, but they are 100% optional. You can pay $0.99 to unlock a character early, and there is a $1.99 currency/reward doubler.

It's worth checking out for a lark. It's a little confusing at first, but once you understand what constitutes a match its a blast.

RedFyn

I hate asking these kind of questions because it's all so subjective but; if I absolutely detested 80 days is there any chance I'll enjoy sorcery? I don't know anything about it other than its a choose your own adventure VN.

I think my biggest issue with 80 days was the flow of the game. I hated the travel and felt that there was way to much useless drivel throughout the game slowing everything down. I also had issues with the storylines not being big enough or the choices too vague as I often found myself locked into a choice that I didn't want to make. Most were minor things but the boat from Japan? to San Francisco was a nightmare where I felt I didn't have any say in what happened.

I did like the idea of the clothing sets but found them poorly implemented and I enjoyed the buying and selling of items however again I thought the idea was not without it's faults. The way banking, lodging, and luggage worked was nice.

I hate asking these kind of questions because it's all so subjective but; if I absolutely detested 80 days is there any chance I'll enjoy sorcery? I don't know anything about it other than its a choose your own adventure VN.

I think my biggest issue with 80 days was the flow of the game. I hated the travel and felt that there was way to much useless drivel throughout the game slowing everything down. I also had issues with the storylines not being big enough or the choices too vague as I often found myself locked into a choice that I didn't want to make. Most were minor things but the boat from Japan? to San Francisco was a nightmare where I felt I didn't have any say in what happened.

I did like the idea of the clothing sets but found them poorly implemented and I enjoyed the buying and selling of items however again I thought the idea was not without it's faults. The way banking, lodging, and luggage worked was nice.
I like Sorcery more than 80 Days. The world building and sense of adventure was fantastic, but Sorcery is better in every other aspect IMO. More focused, choices matter and can have a huge effect across games, combat, magic, RPG elements, etc. The third game is the biggest yet, both gameplay and story wise.

RedFyn

I like Sorcery more than 80 Days. The world building and sense of adventure was fantastic, but Sorcery is better in every other aspect IMO. More focused, choices matter and can have a huge effect across games, combat, magic, RPG elements, etc. The third game is the biggest yet, both gameplay and story wise.
Alright I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

okno

Took the plunge on Dungeon of Madness, and so far I am not liking it AT ALL. I loved the previous two Game Stew games, but there is nothing about this game, at least to me, that's fun. It's just frustrating, and movement takes way too long. It's only $0.99, but I wouldn't bother with this one. TA gave it 4.5/5, but if you read the review it's largely worthless in describing why the game is actually great. It's challenging, but it's boring.

awp69

Took the plunge on Dungeon of Madness, and so far I am not liking it AT ALL. I loved the previous two Game Stew games, but there is nothing about this game, at least to me, that's fun. It's just frustrating, and movement takes way too long. It's only $0.99, but I wouldn't bother with this one. TA gave it 4.5/5, but if you read the review it's largely worthless in describing why the game is actually great. It's challenging, but it's boring.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised by TA's review. Pocket Gamer gave it a 6/10 and also said it was "too frustrating for it's own good".

Honestly, Shaun Musgrave is the only TA reviewer I put much stock in.

PittaGAF

Wow.

Now...where are my HD remastered versions of The Dig, Loom and the Indy games???
Or, dare I hope, a remastered enhanced ultra fantastic new version of Westwood Blade Runner.

okno

I have no self-control.

Bought Grim Fandango. Looks and plays perfectly on my 5S. Sound is perfect, controls are, so far, perfect, visuals look amazing. I cannot believe I am playing my favorite game of all time on my freaking phone!

Spartan Assault or Spartan Strike?

SA is awful (and I love DSS and the idea of a top down Halo-mini)
Haven't played SS but I'm interested in finding out if they've fixed the problems SA had.

Can't speak to SA (haven't played it) but I'm really enjoying Spartan Strike for what it is. I never really played Halo back in the day so to have something in that universe on my iPhone is pretty cool.

awp69

SA is awful (and I love DSS and the idea of a top down Halo-mini)
Haven't played SS but I'm interested in finding out if they've fixed the problems SA had.

I don't know. I liked Spartan Assault, especially on mobile. the controls take some getting used to, but I actually enjoyed it.

That said Spartan Strike is a step up with better graphics, narration and just tweaks that make it a better game overall.

Still, while I understand people having issue with the overly sensitive movement controls, I certainly wouldn't say SA is awful at least IMO. What didn't you like about it?

FerranMG

Lol, Grim Fandango is over 3GB.
I have a 16 GB 5S, and I'm always struggling to have more than 500 MB free.
There's no way I'll ever download this.

The 6S cant' be announced soon enough. :D

PittaGAF

WOW!!!!
After months of total silence they weren't kidding about Legend of Grimrock on iPad being imminent!
It's already out in NZ!!!!

RustyO

Don't forget that Door Kickers and This War of Mine are likely coming out this month. Truly the month for awesome ports

One day at a time ;)

Door Kickers seem like it would be right up my alley (don't know much about it, but looks / sounds the part)

Same about This War of Mine, thats on the to get list.

I really need to work through my backlog though :/

Top Bottom