• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2015 | May the Watch be with you

kramer

OK guys, i been looking everywhere for a game that playes like the classic Dune for the Amiga.

You build a base, create troops and then go out and kill the enemy base.

Is there anything like that on the Iphone?

You want Machines at War 3 or Z The game. Check those out.

colinp

Banned
I'm not sure my iPhone will survive the day if I continue playing KINDO.

Colinp...make your fatality, take your revenge on me (awesome game our last one, sweating here).

Damn this game is freaking addicting and NO casual at all despite the look.

Ah! I screwed up my move! Ahahah, there needs to be an undue button!! I placed my wall in the wrong place and then lost my turn by fixing it. Well, it's not over yet. This is a great match we're playing! ;)

awp69

GoatZ is kinda boring.

Mind the fact that I've never played the original Goat Simulator tho

Even the original is an acquired taste. I found it mildly amusing but probably didn't spend more than an hour with it.

Get Grimrock. It's awesome!

GFyM3vN.jpg

SummitAve

Banned
Have to say that the Legend of Grimrock is a fantastic port. Beautiful, brooding dungeon with those forboding sounds, light puzzles and monsters. The touch controls work perfectly. Honestly another game that probably plays better on an iPad over the clumsy keyboard and mouse (there comes out my general distain for PC gaming, even though I'm putting my toes back in a bit).

Absolute steal for $5. Don't know if that's a launch price but it should be double that.

Played some last night. Controls were comfortable and straightforward. It looked good, and the dungeon crawling nature of it lends well to how I game on my ipad. Looking forward to playing more, and I think I could even get my gf into it as well so that's worth $5 easily.

JCho133

Totally digging Wedding Escape right now. Fun little Match-3 with quite a few new ideas.

Only IAPs are for coins to get a random costume, Crossy Road style

Rlan

What? Super secret sudden release of game? Also for kids!

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

The world-famous fun of Fruit Ninja meets the very best in educational apps in Fruit Ninja Academy: Math Master! This is the perfect learning companion for ages 4 – 7!

Join the Fruit Ninjas in an exciting adventure through jungles, temples and ancient ruins! The curious (and hungry) pig Truffles finds himself in a sticky situation, so Katsuro and his friends must journey to find the Lost Tablets of Fruitasia to rescue him.

Different game modes test addition, subtraction, multiplication, sequences and shapes in an exciting combination of learning and exciting Fruit Ninja action. Each game is graded and encourages players to perfect their math skills to achieve a flawless result.

Meet fun new characters, watch an exciting comic book-style story, and journey across Fruitasia collecting stickers for an awesome interactive scene-maker.

Fruit Ninja Academy: Math Master is the ideal choice for parents and teachers to keep kids engaged as they enjoy the fun characters and exciting gameplay they know and love!

You can grab it right now for $4.99.. Kids safe - no analytics, no IAP.

awp69

Totally digging Wedding Escape right now. Fun little Match-3 with quite a few new ideas.

Only IAPs are for coins to get a random costume, Crossy Road style

Thanks for posting that. Totally missed it and even if I hadn't, I might have dismissed it as another Candy Crush type money grab.

Always up for a good match-3 and this looks fun.

Timotheus

Oh my god! The iPad-version of Legend of Grimrock is fantastic! In terms of controls and graphics it's so perfect optimized for the iPad. iOS-version > PC-Version, imho.

PittaGAF

Oh my god! The iPad-version of Legend of Grimrock is fantastic! In terms of controls and graphics it's so perfect optimized for the iPad. iOS-version > PC-Version, imho.

Is the graphics ok?
From their video trailer seems to me it lacks all the shadows, the lights, flickers etc...that made so cool the original game...which seemed a bit weird to me.
Watching their PC trailer and the iPad trailer seems to me like a night and day difference (not really justified by the tech imho).
But everyone says it's fantastic so I guess is just their poor choice of screenshots and video compression.
Am I wrong?

Timotheus

Is the graphics ok?
From their video trailer seems to me it lacks all the shadows, the lights, flickers etc...that made so cool the original game...which seemed a bit weird to me.
Watching their PC trailer and the iPad trailer seems to me like a night and day difference (not really justified by the tech imho).
But everyone says it's fantastic so I guess is just their poor choice of screenshots and video compression.
Am I wrong?

It really looks great! Probably not as good as the PC-version, but really good. I was surprised!

awp69

Thanks!!!
Are there shadows?

Just checked for you and if you're talking about shadows of people and monsters then I'd say no. But the general shadowy atmosphere with the torches flickering is there.

Quite honestly, it's a good looking game and I probably would have never noticed missing shadows and stuff because the atmosphere is very well done, complete with the background noises of monsters moving around, etc.

EDIT: Saw a confirmation on another forum that dynamic shadows are not in the game as they wanted a solid framerate on all supported devices. Not sure why they couldn't have just made it for maybe Metal supported devices. Don't know how hard that would be.

Anyway, really hope that doesn't stop you from getting an otherwise fantastic port.

Double D

Anyone played Counterspy? The reviews say that the controls are difficult, while some of the comments say that it just takes getting used to. I'm also wondering if they're been improved in the 8 months that the game has been out.

awp69

Anyone played Counterspy? The reviews say that the controls are difficult, while some of the comments say that it just takes getting used to. I'm also wondering if they're been improved in the 8 months that the game has been out.

I'm pretty sure they were never updated. That said, I fall into the camp that they just take some getting used to. It's a really fun game and an incredible bargain at it's current $.99 sale price.

colinp

Banned
With Kindo, does it seem like the person who goes first has a distinct advantage? Or am I imagining things...?

PittaGAF

I dunno, you're waaaaaaay beyond me strategy wise. ;) when I play with other friends whoever goes first always wins.

Lol, I wasn't talking about our games! didn't take count or checked the statistics.
You go for the kill too early tough, I I recall well.
It was just my impression after a good number of games.
I lost many where I started first and won many where I was second.
When you start a game you can choose who start first tapping on the avatar.
I think in random games it's randomized (not sure).

I'll keep an eye on it now tough!!!

I find the same problems with this that I do of Bonza. It's not so much guessing/figuring out the words, but more figuring out what the puzzle designer wants you to say.
Yeah thats 1 of 2 of my only complaints.

1. Some times the word is very loosely related to the subject so it gets to the point that you have to just try words whether they make sense or not.

2. I dont mind watching the ad videos to get a free hint but back to back to back 30 second videos is too much. They should pepper in more 10-15 second videos.

awp69

Saw the review of Forgotten Memories on TA. Mentioned a lot of the same issues that the Pocket Gamer review mentioned.

And I've lost complete respect for the developer of the game whose reaction has been less than professional.

I really don't get it. The game could still be the hardcore experience the Dev wants or to be with just a few minor changes. What is wrong with having a save state that would be the easiest compromise to make the game more playable on mobile? It wouldn't take away the difficulty penalty of having to go back to the last hard save point if you died. It just would allow you to continue to play where you left off if you needed a break.

Also agree with the review that the "easy" mode with more discs doesn't help at all if the computers to save are really far away.

In both cases, as in both reviews, it just makes it frustrating and boring to replay areas over and over. Not a hardcore challenge. Just repetitive and not fun.

Even the hardcore The Evil Within on console (made by the Dev of RE4) has a similar system as I suggested.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Saw the review of Forgotten Memories on TA. Mentioned a lot of the same issues that the Pocket Gamer review mentioned.

And I've lost complete respect for the developer of the game whose reaction has been less than professional.

I really don't get it. The game could still be the hardcore experience the Dev wants or to be with just a few minor changes. What is wrong with having a save state that would be the easiest compromise to make the game more playable on mobile? It wouldn't take away the difficulty penalty of having to go back to the last hard save point. It just would allow you to continue to play where you left off if you needed a break.

Also agree with the review that the "easy" mode with more discs doesn't help at all if the computers to save are really far away.

In both cases, as in both reviews, it just makes it frustrating and boring to replay areas over and over. Not a hardcore challenge. Just repetitive and not fun.

Even the hardcore The Evil Within on console (made by the Dev of RE4) has a similar system as I suggested.

I have the same issues with the game. I don't think I can recommend this game to anyone.

I have refrained from reading much about the game because I don't want any possible spoiler. I now regret my decision.

Heel

Heel, how is Spacecom? It looks like a Heel-game.

First I've heard of it. Looks pretty awesome.

It looks a lot like Subterfuge, which I'm in the beta for but have yet to play. I have a feeling you'd like that more, as it seems to be a lot less fiddly and involves convincing your multiplayer opposition to join your team through discussion, which I believe you to be an expert of, friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfIWy8SnQUs

Oynox

I do not understand the excitement for Microgue at all. Bought it and I am glad that it was only 99 cents.

grmlin

So anyone played Grim Fandango on a 6+? I'm a little worried that the screen is to small to fully enjoy this masterpiece...

awp69

I do not understand the excitement for Microgue at all. Bought it and I am glad that it was only 99 cents.

I kind of like it. I wouldn't say it's the kind of game I'd go wild about telling people to get it. But it's a fun little, casual puzzle rogue-like. The various monster abilities add to the more puzzle like approach. Worth a buck to me, but everyone's different.

Voidance

Bean Dreams is free through the Starbucks app right now. Not sure when it expires (I deleted the message), but these things usually last for 2 weeks or so, I think.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I was never a Clash Of Clans guy, but I've been kind of enjoying Empires and Allies and Rival Kingdoms, which both came out last week. They're freemium, which is shitty, but the core gameplay of both is really solid, and they don't seem quite as desperate to shut off gameplay without payment as a lot of their competitors.

Anyone else playing either of them?

okno

So anyone played Grim Fandango on a 6+? I'm a little worried that the screen is to small to fully enjoy this masterpiece...

I'm playing on a 5s and, while it can be a tiny bit tricky sometimes to be exact on where you direct Manny, it's perfectly playable. On a 6+, you'll be more than fine.

Top Bottom