• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2015 | May the Watch be with you

JCho133

Definitely, although I find it to be much harder than the first game.. May need to reroll as I'm only at the first dungeon (which is kicking my ass).

Who would be interested in an |OT| for this game?

Pretty sure it's already on More_Badass's to do list. Just nag him a lil and I'm sure he'll get to it

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Raging Justice is coming very soon according to the dev, hopefully it has iCade support even tho I won't hold my breath... man I can't wait for 8.4 to come out so that hackers will finally release the new jailbreak and use Blutrol

What is the best, most supported controller for the ios? I'm thinking about trying to give GTA China Wars on my ipad a go but I can't do it touched controls.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Super excited now:

mKst6a2.jpg

Edit: wow, looking through 2013 threads, it's crazy to see 40-page monthly IOS gaming threads
What's really crazy is if you look at the past couple of months you can see the decline, Feb had 15 pages, March had 11 pages, April had 10, and we might make it to 9-10 pages by the end of the month?

I blame it on not that many worthwhile games releasing recently.

What's really crazy is if you look at the past couple of months you can see the decline, Feb had 15 pages, March had 11 pages, April had 10, and we might make it to 9-10 pages by the end of the month?

More likely the move to community because before that, the monthly threads would average around 20 pages a month.

The move to Community definitely slows things down a bit. It definitely did for the Steam thread, but there were more than a handful of people that wanted to see it slow down anyway.

But yeah, it really has seemed like the gems lately have been coming in ones or twos, where for a while it seemed like I couldn't keep up with the truly magnificent games.

Though, to be fair, I also have a few powerhouse time sinks on my phone with Hearthstone and Vain Glory, so that totally factors in to my ability to pick around with new games.

awp69

More likely the move to community because before that, the monthly threads would average around 20 pages a month.

This. There's actually been a LOT of great releases already this year so don't think the quality of what's been hitting the App Store has anything to do with it.

The move to Community definitely slows things down a bit. It definitely did for the Steam thread, but there were more than a handful of people that wanted to see it slow down anyway.

But yeah, it really has seemed like the gems lately have been coming in ones or twos, where for a while it seemed like I couldn't keep up with the truly magnificent games.

Though, to be fair, I also have a few powerhouse time sinks on my phone with Hearthstone and Vain Glory, so that totally factors in to my ability to pick around with new games.
Idk, March/April, we had TouchTone, AG Drive, Mr Jump, Rex Rocket, Alto's Adventure, Dark Echo, Sorcery 3, Implosion, Trigonarium, Attack The Light, etc

This month, Grim Fandango, Legend of Grimrock, Heroes & Castles, Knights of Pen & Paper 2...

I'd say the beginning of this year has been fantastic in terms of great release and gems

Idk, March/April, we had TouchTone, AG Drive, Mr Jump, Rex Rocket, Alto's Adventure, Dark Echo, Sorcery 3, Implosion, Trigonarium, Attack The Light, etc

This month, Grim Fandango, Legend of Grimrock, Heroes & Castles, Knights of Pen & Paper 2...

I'd say the beginning of this year has been fantastic in terms of great release and gems
2 of those are Virtual button games and 3 of those are auto runners. All good games in there own right but not things, in my opinion, that will get people flocking to these threads. I think once Door Kickers or This War of Mine release we will definitely start seeing an uptick in posts.

But yeah, the slow decline over the past 6 months after being moved to community is really showing.

awp69

I don't know. I've been inundated and way behind in my backlog due to this year's releases. Just in the past two weeks -- Legend of Grimrock, Fearless Fantasy, Heroes and Castles 2 and Ire have been fantastic. But to each their own. Probably why I seem to post here more than anyone lately. Too many releases that have just blown my expectations away.

That list also didn't include hardcore match-3/RPG Hero Emblems and the excellent smumps .Decluster and Galactic Nemesis. And the Halo DSS ports, which I'm enjoying far more on mobile.

Guess to me the first five months of this year have been amongst the best iOS gaming has seen.

Magnus

I ditched my iPad 3 and picked up a shiny new iPad Air 2 (64gb, thank goodness; no more dealing with 16gb), and man do I ever want to rock it with some fun games.

Right now, it's all Hearthstone, Catan, and Sorcery! for games. I've played others in the past for sure, including Osmos and the great iOS versions of FFT:WOTL and (imho) FFVI.

Where to next?! The various threads on GAF are great (including these monthly ones) but man is it ever overwhelming. Like, it's just impossible to consider picking some at random. There are so, so many that look great based on screenshots and brief descriptions alone.

How do you all decide what to try next in this increasingly massive library of games?

Ghostoflies

Neo Member
Hearthstone and Ire are all that I play now. So addicting.
I ditched my iPad 3 and picked up a shiny new iPad Air 2 (64gb, thank goodness; no more dealing with 16gb), and man do I ever want to rock it with some fun games.

Right now, it's all Hearthstone, Catan, and Sorcery! for games. I've played others in the past for sure, including Osmos and the great iOS versions of FFT:WOTL and (imho) FFVI.

Where to next?! The various threads on GAF are great (including these monthly ones) but man is it ever overwhelming. Like, it's just impossible to consider picking some at random. There are so, so many that look great based on screenshots and brief descriptions alone.

How do you all decide what to try next in this increasingly massive library of games?

Trust me, I know that feeling. Over in the Indie Games threads, the unwritten motto is basically "Too many games, not enough time and money to play them all".

Right now, my time is spread between Machinarium and XCOM while I wait for Door Kickers and This War of Mine

What genres do you enjoy?

Magnus

Thanks for some of the suggestions, guys!

Trust me, I know that feeling. Over in the Indie Games threads, the unwritten motto is basically "Too many games, not enough time and money to play them all".

Right now, my time is spread between Machinarium and XCOM while I wait for Door Kickers and This War of Mine

What genres do you enjoy?

Hmm....I have Machinarium! I think I bought it during a sale back when iPad 3 launched. I remember actually getting stuck on like...the 2nd screen. I was disenchanted, despite loving the overall look and feel of the game, haha.

To answer your second question - while I LOVE Hearthstone and Catan, and therefore love card games and strategy, I almost can't consider taking on other similarly meaty games. Something shorter and burstier in terms of the amount of investment required would be nice.

That isn't to say I'd shun meatier games; all recommendations are great.

I'm looking forward to getting into the Sorcery! games now that I've bought them all (along with other Inkle stuff - the price for iOS games rules. Who doesn't have $1-5 to throw around here or there? Cheaper than a drink!)

Sorry, I'm being confusing, lol.

I seem to remember a puzzle game that had single screens for each level (like Cut the Rope, basically), with multiple floors, and a character you had to control who needed to get from one end to the other, Donkey-Kong-style, and it was a mix of timing/stealth. You had to play with audio, and synchronize your movements to the beat. Is this ringing a bell? That was a game I kind of wanted to try from way back.

In truth, I'm just THRILLED I have an iPad now that doesn't experience fucking FRAMEDROPS playing Hearthstone and FFVI. Jesus. (the fact that the Air 2 still doesn't play Hearthstone as silky/smooth as my desktop PC does is kind of hilarious).

I got an iPad Mini 2 for Christmas and it was like opening the door to a new level of gaming. I had been playing on my iPhone for years.
---
You're thinking of Beat Sneak Bandit. From Simogo, who also made Year Walk and Device 6, another two must-plays

As for strategy games, XCOM Enemy Within, Hoplite, Autumn Dynasty/Autumn Dynasty Warlords, and the upcoming Door Kickers should all scratch that itch

You should also check out Empire, a nice 4x-tactical strategy-card game.
https://appsto.re/us/juwrO.i
Has a little bit of everything

killercow

Thanks for some of the suggestions, guys!

Hmm....I have Machinarium! I think I bought it during a sale back when iPad 3 launched. I remember actually getting stuck on like...the 2nd screen. I was disenchanted, despite loving the overall look and feel of the game, haha.

To answer your second question - while I LOVE Hearthstone and Catan, and therefore love card games and strategy, I almost can't consider taking on other similarly meaty games. Something shorter and burstier in terms of the amount of investment required would be nice.

That isn't to say I'd shun meatier games; all recommendations are great.

I'm looking forward to getting into the Sorcery! games now that I've bought them all (along with other Inkle stuff - the price for iOS games rules. Who doesn't have $1-5 to throw around here or there? Cheaper than a drink!)

Sorry, I'm being confusing, lol.

I seem to remember a puzzle game that had single screens for each level (like Cut the Rope, basically), with multiple floors, and a character you had to control who needed to get from one end to the other, Donkey-Kong-style, and it was a mix of timing/stealth. You had to play with audio, and synchronize your movements to the beat. Is this ringing a bell? That was a game I kind of wanted to try from way back.

In truth, I'm just THRILLED I have an iPad now that doesn't experience fucking FRAMEDROPS playing Hearthstone and FFVI. Jesus. (the fact that the Air 2 still doesn't play Hearthstone as silky/smooth as my desktop PC does is kind of hilarious).

Have you downloaded the 64bits update for hearthstone? Apparently it's much better now in terms of framerate.

Shearie

Have you downloaded the 64bits update for hearthstone? Apparently it's much better now in terms of framerate.

I'm playing on my iPad mini 3 and there are no gameplay frame drops for me, only when loading new screens in the menu or at the end of the matchmaking screen.

Zodzilla

Has anyone tried Oquonie? Looks really interesting, especially the art style: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/oquonie/id819777958?mt=8

YcbJJJl.png

Paid a couple of bucks for it; disliked it a lot.

Super cool to look at. Not fun to play. It's not necessarily a puzzler because there's nothing to really "solve." I found it to be much more of a trial and error game that didn't seem all that rewarding when you passed the trial.

It wasn't fun to control either, which made it more of a chore than anything else.

awp69

If you're looking for a great puzzler on iOS this week, try Orbit's Odyssey by @OrbitsOdyssey : https://appsto.re/fr/EV8p5

That does look interesting. In fact, it may be the only thing that interests me this week.

Any other noteworthy releases tonight? Everything I've seen doesn't appeal to me, at first glance at least.

Would be a good thing as I've got quite a backlog....and the Witcher III.

That does look interesting. In fact, it may be the only thing that interests me this week.

Any other noteworthy releases tonight? Everything I've seen doesn't appeal to me, at first glance at least.

Would be a good thing as I've got quite a backlog....and the Witcher III.
Yeah, today seems kind of weak compared to past weeks. Hopefully we get some surprise releases.

Has anyone tried Oquonie? Looks really interesting, especially the art style: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/oquonie/id819777958?mt=8

YcbJJJl.png
I really enjoyed the developer's other game Hiversaires, but thought Oquonie only had its art style going for it. The actual mechanics were pretty shallow and just too engimatic. I'm all for mysterious games where you have to learn the rules on your own, but there needs to be tangible satisfying payoff for mastering those rules. Oquonie never delivered that payoff IMO. You just wander.

awp69

Finally a release tonight that I'm interested in -- Sword of Xolan, a side scrolling action RPG/platformer.

Noodlecake's Brickies looks like it could be an interesting take on the brick breaker too. Not sure how it's F2P mechanics are.

....and the big Episode 2 update for Strike Wing is out for space combat fans.

That's enough for me.

awp69

I figured this was as good a place as any to say this, but I really am getting tired of articles on sites I will not name talking about the death of console gaming,

I love mobile gaming and am excited about the strides it has made with some incredible games. BUT stories of console gaming's demise are way overblown. Sales of current gen consoles are even outpacing last generation (at least per an IGN article I read about the 2015 NPD figures).

Sure companies like Square Enix, Nintendo and Konomi will put more into mobile games because, quite honestly, even a somewhat "console quality" game on mobile costs far less than the millions upon millions spent on console games (which makes any flops far more pronounced). So less risk and more profits, why wouldn't they want to play a big part in mobile?

I hate that a lot of gamers on NeoGAF look down at mobile gaming, but they're exactly the reason why I don't see console/PC gaming going anywhere anytime soon.

I like both console and mobile gaming for different reasons. And I hope both continue to exist and also resist a total move to F2P mechanics.

colinp

Banned
tumblr_naxm2cuhSQ1sjuearo1_400.gif

Capitals seems pretty fun. Haven't played enough to understand the lives iap concept yet though. Is it the number of consecutive games you can have running at once?

KingKong

tumblr_naxm2cuhSQ1sjuearo1_400.gif

Capitals seems pretty fun. Haven't played enough to understand the lives iap concept yet though. Is it the number of consecutive games you can have running at once?

yes

I think it suffers from the same problem every other 'turn' iOS game does, which is that people don't respond when they start losing instead of forfeiting, and the iAP 3 lives makes it super frustrating

like right now I have 2 games going that are responding decently, and the third has stopped. I suppose I could forfeit, but I dont think I'd get a life back

colinp

Banned
yes

I think it suffers from the same problem every other 'turn' iOS game does, which is that people don't respond when they start losing instead of forfeiting, and the iAP 3 lives makes it super frustrating

like right now I have 2 games going that are responding decently, and the third has stopped. I suppose I could forfeit, but I dont think I'd get a life back

I think you'd get the life back after an hour. M
Could be wrong though...

Top Bottom