• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
After Burner Climax: yay or nay?
I have the game on both 360 and PS3, I fucking love it, to see it release on iOS is a joy but how does it control? that could be gamebreaking.
Also how do the gfx hold up to the big bro version (iPad Mini, I know it's broken on ipad 3)

Dash Kappei

GAF iOS Challenge TEST

Leaderboard Screenshot -dropbox test said:
Photo%2006-10-11%2002%2020%2019.jpg

Do you guys see it ok?

I don't. Am I forced to do this

Or this?

Shaneus

Also how do the gfx hold up to the big bro version (iPad Mini, I know it's broken on ipad 3)
Is that a widely-stated thing, or is it just from my post in here? I'm curious to see how many people are saying that about the iPad 3 version. Yet to install on my 4S (which I'd imagine would have similar performance to the 4S one, give or take).

Edit: Not seeing anything in that quote at all.

Dash Kappei

Is that a widely-stated thing, or is it just from my post in here? I'm curious to see how many people are saying that about the iPad 3 version. Yet to install on my 4S (which I'd imagine would have similar performance to the 4S one, give or take).

Edit: Not seeing anything in that quote at all.

I've read about such problems while googleing for performance and I saw it mentioned multiple times on Touch Arcade, also probably your post came up iirc?

I can see the second image Dash, and I love that my name is on there :D

Hey buddy how u doing? :)

Anyway, dang. That means it'll be a bit more cumbersome for me to post screens upon screens during a challenge in its own thread; basically it goes like this:

Load leaerboard in-game or better yet via Gamecenter app
Grab multiple screens with home+reset
Open screens in Photoshop Express, edit/crop all of them
Open Dropbox, upload screens
Generate link /copy link to the clipboard
Paste link on Safari/iCab's address bar
Select the picture and copy link to the picture
Come in here and post such link in tags.
Rinse and repeat for #2, #3, #4 and maybe #5 pic if we go over 100 players.

Damn, what a waste of time... isn't there a quicker solution not involving Facebook?

PFD

I've read about such problems while googleing for performance and I saw it mentioned multiple times on Touch Arcade, also probably your post came up iirc?

Hey buddy how u doing? :)

Anyway, dang. That means it'll be a bit more cumbersome for me to post screens upon screens during a challenge in its own thread; basically it goes like this:

Load leaerboard in-game or better yet via Gamecenter app
Grab multiple screens with home+reset
Open screens in Photoshop Express, edit/crop all of them
Open Dropbox, upload screens
Generate link /copy link to the clipboard
Paste link on Safari/iCab's address bar
Select the picture and copy link to the picture
Come in here and post such link in tags.
Rinse and repeat for #2, #3, #4 and maybe #5 pic if we go over 100 players.

Damn, what a waste of time... isn't there a quicker solution not involving Facebook?[/QUOTE]

If you have icloud set up on your PC, you can grab the screens on your idevice, then do the next steps much faster on a PC (screenshots will appear automatically in your PC icloud folder.)

Dash Kappei

If you have icloud set up on your PC, you can grab the screens on your idevice, then do the next steps much faster on a PC (screenshots will appear automatically in your PC icloud folder.)

Nah, not going to bother firing up my Mac anytime I need to post screens, considering that I'm rarely home I need to be able to do everything via iPad, and quick.

I've set up a Twitter account, let's try this

Edit:
Nope :/

Edit2:

Also I don't use Twitter usually but I don't understand why I can't change my name (shows my name ans then my @ handle, everytime I try to change it in-app it reverts to the one I've registered with and trying to do it via e iPad's General Settings is no use since the option's greyed out. Maybe I need to verify my email first?)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dear Neogaf,

I am super excited to be able to finally share my company's very first iOS game called 'Stick to it!' with you.

The game is live on the app store as of today and we decided to make it completely free with no ads and no in app purchases for the first 3 days as we want as many people as possible to play. It's a universal app with full retina assets and will run equally well on iPhone and iPad.

Download it from the app store here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stick-to-it!/id594605100?l=en&mt=8

Thanks for playing and I hope you'll enjoy it =)

Just wanted to say I played the first two worlds of this today and enjoyed it a good deal. Simple, but nice animations on the mother character and I actually thought the concept was sort of new for a single-screen puzzler. So for a first iOS game I think this is a good start :)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The WAY easiest way to upload a picture from iOS is to use imgur.com. Just go to imgur.com from your device, select the picture, and it uploads it and even gives you already-formatted forum output. It's free, simple and works crazy well and fast. Use it. Much better than the annoying twitter workaround.

PFD

The WAY easiest way to upload a picture from iOS is to use imgur.com. Just go to imgur.com from your device, select the picture, and it uploads it and even gives you already-formatted forum output. It's free, simple and works crazy well and fast. Use it. Much better than the annoying twitter workaround.

I forgot about imgur. They also have an excellent (and free) app if you don't wanna navigate to the website.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Nah, not going to bother firing up my Mac anytime I need to post screens, considering that I'm rarely home I need to be able to do everything via iPad, and quick.

I've set up a Twitter account, let's try this

Edit:
Nope :/

Edit2:

Also I don't use Twitter usually but I don't understand why I can't change my name (shows my name ans then my @ handle, everytime I try to change it in-app it reverts to the one I've registered with and trying to do it via e iPad's General Settings is no use since the option's greyed out. Maybe I need to verify my email first?)
I'd just crop stuff via the Photos app itself, then upload to either imgur via the website itself (supports the camera roll) or minus.

FYI out of all the test shots you posted I can only see the twitter one.

Ranger X

Man, it's been a real long while something attracted me in the "new and noteworthy" section of the store. And we are getting due for a new Kairosoft me thinks.

PittaGAF

Just completed Little Inferno.
What an amazing experience!!!!!
Much more 'gamey' than I thought it would have been too.

shuri

Banned
Im getting one within the next week , im wondering if 16G will be enough,, mainly using it for gamming and the web ,, pix and music are all on my iphone.
I really dont wanna spend that extra 100$ ,, thoughts?
I am also curious about an ipad controller first ive heard of this .

16gb is more than enough unless you really want to have tons of games on it. Its a 16gb, and I have about 4gb free so far. If i was you, i would not pay the extra 16gb, unless you REALLY gotta have tons of games always available on demand.

SteveWD40

Outside of the badly ported / really intensive games most are under 500mb, in fact most are under 200mb, I have plenty of room in my mini.

I will go 32/64 next time just because I think games are going to creep up in size (1gb used to be the biggest around, now 1.8gb is common) but you will be fine as long as you don't want to play BG:EE, MC4, COH and TWEWY all at the same time ;)

Oh and with iExplorer you can back your save games up to your PC and then delete / re-install when you like.

Edit: and I am the same, music / pics on the phone, games / web in the iPad, works pretty well.

Yeah, I think if you're only playing games and your music/video is elsewhere, 16gb is enough.

You may have to delete stuff if you've got a few 1GB+ apps, but it won't happen often. For all the games of that size that there are, there aren't many that you wouldn't be able to live without on your device.

I have the game on both 360 and PS3, I fucking love it, to see it release on iOS is a joy but how does it control? that could be gamebreaking.

Even besides it being unplayably choppy on iPad 3rd gen, the controls are hilariously bad; it's nice you can drag anywhere on the screen (the flight stick virtual area appears wherever you start dragging) but the throttle is really hard to manipulate, especially when you are holding a virtual button down for the machine gun fire and tapping another virtual button for missiles at the same time - five distinct simultaneous inputs on a touch screen device is just no. Skip.

Damn, what a waste of time... isn't there a quicker solution not involving Facebook?

Try Picup, uploads directly to imgur.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
16gb is more than enough unless you really want to have tons of games on it. Its a 16gb, and I have about 4gb free so far. If i was you, i would not pay the extra 16gb, unless you REALLY gotta have tons of games always available on demand.

I agree with this. I was a little leery when I picked up my 16gb mini, but once I realized that I didn't need half the games I owned on it at any give moment and only the ones I might actually play it turned out I actually had plenty of space. I still have the full Walking Dead(2.3gb) and BG:EE(1.9gb) and 40 other games and still have 4gb free.

Goldrush

Anyone know if I can transfer the save between the iOS version and Android version of Broken Sword II using the dropbox feature?

come on LADIES I need some challenge in After Burner Climax's score attack mode, still sitting #1 here with a rather large lead.

Remy

So the Dungelot update is out.

✔ Autosaves
✔ New hero
✔ Achievements
✔ 2 new monsters
✔ Redesigned game gui
✔ Weapons
✔ Hero mood
✔ Poisoning
✔ Random events
✔ Bug fixes

The game has ramped the difficulty progression WAY DOWN. I'm on dungeon 15 and the monsters are still at strength 1. The inventory slots are now split between spells (4 slots) and equipment (4 slots); some of the equipment you got in the past (lamp/compass/map) don't take up slots. And character upgrades have been reworked - looks like the "manual" upgrade each class has only counts for HP now, not strength/initiative/etc.

Feels like a different game. Will take some getting used to.

ss_lemonade

Well visually, I think it looks terrible and only runs at 30fps (maybe even lower). That's on an ipad 4

Card Boy

Banned
So the Dungelot update is out.

The game has ramped the difficulty progression WAY DOWN. I'm on dungeon 15 and the monsters are still at strength 1. The inventory slots are now split between spells (4 slots) and equipment (4 slots); some of the equipment you got in the past (lamp/compass/map) don't take up slots. And character upgrades have been reworked - looks like the "manual" upgrade each class has only counts for HP now, not strength/initiative/etc.

Feels like a different game. Will take some getting used to.

I would say the game is more balanced than easier. It was way too random and biased towards the monsters before. A very good patch.

Remy

I would say the game is more balanced than easier. It was way too random and biased towards the monsters before. A very good patch.

I don't know...my first run was with the Paladin, which I had only halfway upgraded out (3-2-2-4 across the abilities).

I hit level 75 before I finally kicked the bucket, unlocking the Assassin and the new character class. (My best on the old version was 31.) Also gained over 10000 gold.

Well visually, I think it looks terrible and only runs at 30fps (maybe even lower). That's on an ipad 4

It's lucky to get 15 on iPad 3rd gen. The game's assets were designed for 480p, so some roughness at the ridiculous resolutions the retina iPads put out is sort of expected.

In my opinion it is a terrible patch because there is now relatively no challenge left in the game. I reached level 55 with the starting paladin and was able to unlock and fully upgrade the new character from the gold I had.

When I died I was glad of it too, because I was well and truly over my game by then. Now I have no compulsion to ever go back.

I appreciate all the new bits they have added, but without the original difficulty each game is going to last forever and there is already nothing really left to do after your first run!

Shaneus

It's lucky to get 15 on iPad 3rd gen. The game's assets were designed for 480p, so some roughness at the ridiculous resolutions the retina iPads put out is sort of expected.
Yeah, it's basically unplayable on iPad 3. Quite fun on my 4S though.

But you'd think they'd have tested it first on all devices before releasing it :/

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You guys weren't joking about Dungelot being nerfed. Even boss enemies like the Goblin Kings have 1 attack point on the 15th floor. Everything else about the update is great, and I don't mind seeing enemy power reduced a bit, but they went too far. Rougelikes are all about risk vs. reward but they really toned down the risk. Right now I'm more likely to end a game out of boredom rather then defeat.

And poisoning as an ongoing status isn't much of a threat when they pass out antidote bottles like candy.

Hopefully they can get the difficulty right with the next update because the other tweaks, new content and fixes all hit the spot.

I won't be interested in dungelot until there's some kind of endgame. An endless rogue like is kind of pointless to me.

Normally I see the endgame as the point where you unlock everything. In Dungelot's case this is reaching floor 50... Which you will do on your first go.

If people have not updated yet I recommend not doing so until the release another patch.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I like when the endgame is when your build is put to the test. FTL (PC) did that very well recently. Not sure how that would work with Dungelot, though.

ToxicAdam

That's how I feel about all of these "Endless Runner" games. I think it's absolutely tedious and pointless.

Endless runners are okay because they are reflex/pattern recognition dependent. Kind of like the original arcade games of the 80's. Roguelikes were always designed to have some kind of finite end or goal to get to.

They were like surfing a wave all the way back to shore. Not going to happen every time, but when everything falls into place you can carry that momentum all the way through it.

Minsc

Gold Member
You guys weren't joking about Dungelot being nerfed. Even boss enemies like the Goblin Kings have 1 attack point on the 15th floor. Everything else about the update is great, and I don't mind seeing enemy power reduced a bit, but they went too far. Rougelikes are all about risk vs. reward but they really toned down the risk. Right now I'm more likely to end a game out of boredom rather then defeat.

And poisoning as an ongoing status isn't much of a threat when they pass out antidote bottles like candy.

Hopefully they can get the difficulty right with the next update because the other tweaks, new content and fixes all hit the spot.

The developer posted an update about a new patch already submitted:

Hi all! Well, the reaction on game became more easier is predictable as I've already know that from android version.

The iOS is outdated in compare with android version.
I've sent 1.55 to appstore yesterday after 1.51 had been submitted.

1.55 will include next fixes:
✔ Autosave hero skills bug fixed
✔ Bug with padding on each other menu fixed
✔ Bug with quest reward fixed
✔ Assassin hero rebalanced
✔ Game difficulty increased
✔ Skeleton mages attack cap set to 8points
✔ Goblin axe throwers attack cap set to 10points

This will be the last huge update for a while.
I won't say that everything that I wanted to make works as it planned

I've already started working on Dungelot2 as it much easier to remake game from scratch, adding something different, polish it well and work more on game code part to avoid bugs.

I think the enemy attack staying at 1 the whole time is probably a bug, so hopefully this new update makes it through this week and it's perfect.

A Dungelot2 with some sort of varying or even scroll-able map rather than a fixed 8x8 grid or whatever (so you can get 50x50 grids or more) perhaps even with rivers and mountains etc to block the open field would be neat. And they can wrap it around a campaign or something to, to please the people who like an end game, some sort of overworld map with a set number of challenges and perhaps some extra-extra hard optional paths for the people who want to test their ability to abuse the system :)

A Dungelot2 with some sort of varying or even scroll-able map rather than a fixed 8x8 grid or whatever (so you can get 50x50 grids or more) perhaps even with rivers and mountains etc to block the open field would be neat. And they can wrap it around a campaign or something to, to please the people who like an end game, some sort of overworld map with a set number of challenges and perhaps some extra-extra hard optional paths for the people who want to test their ability to abuse the system :)

Ah ok, good to see they are fixing it up. Even things like the spells seemed buggy with freeze lasting forever and poison doing nothing.

Might have had enough to Dungelot 2 though. Your suggestions are good ones, there is plenty of potential there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom