• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
so I love the classic Dune game for Amiga and I am looking for a game like that on IOS, any thing like that available ?

You'd probably like King of Dragon Pass. It's not a direct match but it's another kind of weird hybrid game like Dune.

Maybe some more traditional adventures like Beneath a Steel Sky or Broken Sword, although they obviously don't have the strategy elements. You might like the Fighting Fantasy games, which are basically Choose Your Own Adventure books mixed with RPG combat.

Dune was a really unique game so it's hard to find a good comparison :/

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just to add what a dev said on the forum before people here start screaming about everything being behind IAP pay walls;

So it'll be pay to win with faster cars behind a pay wall, right? I don't see how that quote makes things better. Of course it's designed to be free to play.

AEREC

it's ok, kinda gimmicky. a bit expensive. but not the worst game, you can have some enjoyment from it.

This about sums it up perfectly. I regret buying it day one. But the 5 star review at TA and people claiming its special and an instant classic, made me jump on it.

Heel

Okay, here's an update on my Space Agency problem.

ieWc99ylrgMlJ.jpg

From this, one might think you're supposed to tap Vehicle 1, put together a second stage and fairing, then launch it into space.

No, actually that mission briefing that looks like a sheet of paper is actually a scrollable window with more rocket parts and instructions. What?

Is this bad UI, or am I just an idiot who has no idea how a rocket works? lol. You can reach orbit with those two parts, which is the mission objective. All it tells you is that you've failed once the clock runs out.

I am having fun playing Happy Street but suddenly when I try to visit toythatkills street I get an error...I found out it is because they haven't released the latest update in Japan yet, so I basically tweeted them to get off their lazy asses and do it. You would think market stuff would be more automatic in the mobile world. They probably have to wait until a 3rd party translates it or something...sigh...

There's a chance that they chose not to release it in Japan because the whole update is full of Chinese New Year content

No, actually that mission briefing that looks like a sheet of paper is actually a scrollable window with more rocket parts and instructions. What?

Is this bad UI, or am I just an idiot who has no idea how a rocket works? lol. You can reach orbit with those two parts, which is the mission objective. All it tells you is that you've failed once the clock runs out.

I haven't played the game, but I would never have expected that to scroll. Bad UI.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
An I the only one who still plays MotionX Poker? What an amazing first-batch iphone hame that was. It got deleted from the store but still lives on in our hearts, and purchased lists.

Flunkie

Banned
An I the only one who still plays MotionX Poker? What an amazing first-batch iphone hame that was. It got deleted from the store but still lives on in our hearts, and purchased lists.
I need to reinstall that! That was THE game to play back then, and what started the whole "phone games are amazing" movement.

I am still incredibly mad that this got pulled off my purchased list when Apple decided to randomly purge my iTunes purchase history last year. RAGE

Why hasn't this been cloned yet? Instead we get boring flavor-of-the-week endless runners all day everyday.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

colinp

Banned
I only plug my own stuff when I think it'll be of interest - I wrote a LOT about my hands-on time with Real Racing 3:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/12/hands-on-with-real-racing-3s-freemium-future

Lots of details on the freemium model and how specifically it works, how the time-shifted multiplayer fits in, etc.

Nice write up. Concerns raised are valid, though waiting to race is really lame. Spending the $9.99 on an IAP sounds so dirty but you're right it may give enough of the experience to liken it to buying the game for that price. Hmmmmm, cautiously optimistic but we'll see.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!

BooJoh

Anyone played Finding Teddy? Nice looking point and click adventure.

Trailer

Trying to link images on iPad is awful. Take my word for it lol.

I'm enjoying it so far. The animation is charming and the gameplay is simple but effective. A lot of the puzzles are based around music though, and tapping the right notes on an iPod is sometimes hard because they're so small and close together.

Shaneus

So, just finished The Room. That's what good mobile games should be about. Few hours gameplay, a clear ending and something I can delete of my fucking iDevice because I won't feel compelled to beat it again, saving clutter. Woo!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I started playing it on PC but in the middle of the first episode I switched to iOS (smart move from TellTale to give away the first chapter for free, they've got me this way, bravo!) and damn I'm glad I did 'cause that glued me to this game like few did in the last few years. I like the touch controls much more honestly, the QTEs feel better to me and the whole interface really feels at home on iPad.

Just finished Chapter 2 of The Walking Dead.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

(゚O゚))

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I am still incredibly mad that this got pulled off my purchased list when Apple decided to randomly purge my iTunes purchase history last year. RAGE
Sounds like you changed store billing region on your account? Eg. moving country or just changed from a US credit card to say a UK credit card (any change).

If that is done, purchases from the previous country are purged from your purchase history as if you never bought them. Any local copies you may have is all you have left of them (those can still be updated but not redownloaded if deleted).

Minsc

Gold Member
So the game has energy bars? (Repair time)

I'm out.

Just don't crash or hit other cars lol! It doesn't sound too bad, especially if you can switch cars and get a clean slate (car 1 is in the shop for 20 mins, but cars 2-20 are ready to race, by the time you've totaled car 10, car 1 is ready again and you still have cars 11-20 in reserve which weren't even needed).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just don't crash or hit other cars lol! It doesn't sound too bad, especially if you can switch cars and get a clean slate (car 1 is in the shop for 20 mins, but cars 2-20 are ready to race, by the time you've totaled car 10, car 1 is ready again and you still have cars 11-20 in reserve which weren't even needed).
The cooldowns aren't just for repairs.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47608007&postcount=58

The freemium catch is that all of those actions – repairs, upgrades and new cars – are set to varying levels of cooldown timers, the length of which are determined by what exactly you're trying to do. For example, repairing your broken taillights after a race because some jerk rear-ended you might take roughly a minute. If you have multiple repairs like that to make, then the time is combined together, and in a typical race all of your repairs to a particular vehicle shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. I even played a race and specifically banged up my car as much as possible, and repairing all of the severe damage at once gave me a wait time of about 20 minutes.

[...]

You'll also face wait times when installing upgrades or unlocking new cars, both of which seem to take longer as more advanced upgrades and vehicles become available.

PFD

True, but having to constantly worry about such a limitation is extremely annoying. What if i bought a new car and only wanted to race with it?

The only way I can see myself playing this is if they offered a $9.99 IAP that removes all the wait-time bs. The one they're offering now just gives a bunch of cars and some currency.

Minsc

Gold Member

Oh ok, I do understand the complaints, and the switch to this model from a friendlier/normal one sucks, but I personally have little problem just playing these games for a few times and deleting them when they get annoying, which I think I'll end up doing with this. Queue the repairs overnight if they're hours to finish, play a little for a few days until it gets boring, and then move on. One of the nice aspects of iOS, is with cheap/free games sometimes I'm more interested in just trying them to see the mechanics and if it brings any new ideas to the genre than to complete the game. And since it's free if I don't even get that far, no big deal. Though my judgement on the situation is a bit less relevant as I wasn't particularly interested in the series or game beyond a basic curiosity.

Unfortunately, every time I look at the top grossing charts in iTunes it drives home just how popular this business model is. You're lucky if you see more than a couple non-free games in the top 50, or even top 100 any more.

Gaaraz

So, just finished The Room. That's what good mobile games should be about. Few hours gameplay, a clear ending and something I can delete of my fucking iDevice because I won't feel compelled to beat it again, saving clutter. Woo!
Sounds good to me, glad I picked it up in the recent sale!

So apparently there's a GITADORA (common abbreviation of Guitar Freaks/Drummania) app coming for iOS and Android this Valentine's Day in Japan. We don't have much hints on what it actually does yet... Guess we'll find out in about 23 hours 45 minutes!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
True, but having to constantly worry about such a limitation is extremely annoying. What if i bought a new car and only wanted to race with it?

The only way I can see myself playing this is if they offered a $9.99 IAP that removes all the wait-time bs. The one they're offering now just gives a bunch of cars and some currency.
Mind you I haven't played it yet but from I hear the $9.99 IAP gives you sufficient currency and variety in cars available to give you significant enough play options without being bothered by wait times (either by paying to skip or swapping to another event/car while repairing). Anyway we'll see if they're shooting themselves in the foot with this approach. I'm very interested in the multiplayer aspect of it, async racing so-to-speak I think will work very nicely here.

Alexios

Anyway we'll see if they're shooting themselves in the foot with this approach.
I don't think anyone suggest this, just that they personally don't like it that way.

I'm very interested in the multiplayer aspect of it, async racing so-to-speak I think will work very nicely here.
You never heard of comparing lap times before? Even Most Wanted does it, you get to see your friends' best score at the end of each event you complete etc. I guess it might be presented in a better or more thorough way in this but still, hardly new.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You never heard of comparing lap times before? Even Most Wanted does it too, you get to see your friends' best score at the end of each event you do. I guess it might be presented in a better way in this but still...
In this one you actually race against other people's cars, their ghost runs if you will, except they're behaving like the other AI cars on the track so you can crash into them etc. More tangible in a way I guess you could say.

Not saying this is anything new in racing games but I'm not aware of any other "high end" racers doing that in our iOS/mobile space at this point.

Alexios

Ah, I didn't know there are collisions but then that probably means that it's not exactly fair as I might not react the same as the AI during a crash (or before as he's seen approaching or whatever) so it'd probably be better with real ghosts...

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
The thing that pisses me off the most about the Dungelot patch is that you don't get the sword level head start that you used to, if you upgraded characters.

The way they set it for only 4 spells and 4 equips is awful. I dd 20 levels where I was always maxed on spells but still only had 1 equip.

Also, the mood thing is stupid.

Well, that's nothing compared to the balance now. I can't die. Level 126 with +900 HP. It never ends :(

The thing that pisses me off the most about the Dungelot patch is that you don't get the sword level head start that you used to, if you upgraded characters.

The way they set it for only 4 spells and 4 equips is awful. I dd 20 levels where I was always maxed on spells but still only had 1 equip.

Also, the mood thing is stupid.

Quest rewards appear to be glitched. When you rescue the 3 peasant girls your health bonus is always doubled after clicking "ok" to the quest notification.

The game just appears to be much easier. Prior to the patch I had made it to level 36. Last night I got to 86, and walked away with over 20k in gold.

Edit:
Well, that's nothing compared to the balance now. I can't die. Level 126 with +900 HP. It never ends :(

Just noticed your comment. Yeah, it feels like Cow Clicker at this point.

dantehemi

Poke in the eye seems reasonable for last place :p
Now poop's seems just a tad to much, isn't it

Yay PikPok to the rescue

Oh wow, straight to first place prize!
That's awesomely kind of you man

I can pitch in a $10 iTunes card for the Canadian division, maybe we get some euro guys on here and we can run this regionally :)

Edit- quote didn't work the way I thought...anyways to anyone wondering, I will donate a $10 iTunes card to the Canadian winner of the iOS challenge.

Edit edit- are we gonna do the challenge starting is month or fresh in march? Either way is good for me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
In Dungelot, is it best to go through the door as soon as you can-or try to clear the floor and get bonuses?

Pre-patch, I would usually try to make as few moves as possible, and exit the floor as soon as I found the key. Of course, I didn't need to be quite so careful when I had the item that reveals poison tiles. But post-patch enemy attack points are so low that you might as well clear everything out and nab all the goodies you can find.

kennah

In Dungelot, is it best to go through the door as soon as you can-or try to clear the floor and get bonuses?

Depends how close you are to finishing the floor and how well off your character is at that point. If you're doing good and there's only a little bit left than go for it, but if you're on a floor that has shitty monsters (lots of health, lots of damage, the ones that blow up) and you find the key early, just keep going down.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
LambdaMu talked to me pretty openly today about Pixel People's future content:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/13/first-details-on-pixel-peoples-upcoming-content

- The
mutant and the temple
are going to lead to new "green" matches at the gene splicing center. The presumable in-universe explanation is that these were unexpected/unknown combos.

- New buildings coming soon: Discotheque, Pizzeria and Ballpark.

- A use for animals is in the works.

- Hints that a Residence with no land cost is in coming (expect it to be very expensive if true).

~~~

Their idea to not build Shiny Towers is pretty interesting. Save the 6 UT and build Solar Nexus's instead. They'll take up more land, but you can take all your UT savings and spend it on the 40 UT land expansions instead of coin expansions. Pretty clever. I haven't done the math yet but I bet it might be more efficient... I have 30 Shiny towers, for a total UT cost of 180! That could have bought me 45 land.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
LambdaMu talked to me pretty openly today about Pixel People's future content:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/13/first-details-on-pixel-peoples-upcoming-content

- The
mutant and the temple
are going to lead to new "green" matches at the gene splicing center. The presumable in-universe explanation is that these were unexpected/unknown combos.

- New buildings coming soon: Discotheque, Pizzeria and Ballpark.

- A use for animals is in the works.

- Hints that a Residence with no land cost is in coming (expect it to be very expensive if true).

~~~

Their idea to not build Shiny Towers is pretty interesting. Save the 6 UT and build Solar Nexus's instead. They'll take up more land, but you can take all your UT savings and spend it on the 40 UT land expansions instead of coin expansions. Pretty clever. I haven't done the math yet but I bet it might be more efficient... I have 30 Shiny towers, for a total UT cost of 180! That could have bought me 45 land.

Sounds interesting. Any word on a patch for the reporter/news agency bug? Sitting at 145/150 jobs and 191/191 land and it killed me to have wasted two land and not got the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom