• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

After Burner Climax is alright, but man... I wish there was an option for iPad 3 owners in these sort of graphically-intensive games to either play at lower detail or a lower resolution :/

SteveWD40

I hope that offer is still there in 5 hours time, as my iPad Mini is at home. =/

Or wait, maybe I can just download them on my iPhone if they're Universal.

You can for the former, think Borderlands is iPad only (but I assume you meant GOFHD).

Should be free for 24 hours at least though.

If you have an ipad 4 get GoF II, full HD and smooth on that model, will look amazing.

My ipad 3 likes to shit the bed though :(

SteveWD40

Even at 99 cents, Borderlands Legends is still a rip-off.

Yeah, I looked into it as they had a big update since launch, but now it looks like the price drop is permanent because *drumroll*...it now has full screen ads on the menu!

Fuck yes, well done idiots, way to make the IP look shitty.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ugh, the new Kairosoft game (http://appshopper.com/games/beastie-bay) is 'free' but its $5 to remove ads and enable landscape mode and they're selling a set of 100 medals for $9 and 200 for $16... huh?

So, they're basically selling what would usually be the 'lite' version as the only version, with the ad removal IAP in place of a paid full version. I can deal with that, but does anyone know the deal with medals? Is BB more skewed towards IAP purchases than the rest of Kairosoft's library? I'll be needing a new one soon since I'm nearly finished with Cafe Nippon. I like the concept behind BB but I'm not gonna drop $5 if progress will be hindered at some point by IAP placement.

Is After Burner Climax optimized well or does it play like crap on anything older than a iPhone 5?

And I'm surprised at Kairosoft's new game. It's the first with IAPs, right? I always praised them for not having IAPs. Don't mind buying the game to remove ads but I just never liked IAPs.

MrKayle

Looks like the roguelike-like bit Dungeon will be free in a few hours. :)

mzl.iwqzktgq.480x480-75.jpg

at work: game plays music full volume
at work, phone is on silent: game still plays music full volume
at work, phone is on silent, volume is at 0: game still plays music full volume

I can't even access the app to turn the music off. great programming here.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
And I'm surprised at Kairosoft's new game. It's the first with IAPs, right? I always praised them for not having IAPs. Don't mind buying the game to remove ads but I just never liked IAPs.

Maybe it's because it was originally a Google play exclusive? I'm pretty ignorant about all things Android but I know that the marketplace is a bit different over there, which could explain their decision to release only a free version. Just a thought.

Yeah, I looked into it as they had a big update since launch, but now it looks like the price drop is permanent because *drumroll*...it now has full screen ads on the menu!

Fuck yes, well done idiots, way to make the IP look shitty.

Urrrrggg, patching in adverts to a paid game post release is a major annoyance of mine. That Borderlands app was at the very bottom of the wishlist previously but now it's scratched off entirely.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

I had a similar situation, but having been burned before at work I always hold my finger over the speaker when I run an app for the first time to stop it making noise if it ignores the mute switch. However, when I turned down the volume (while the app was running) it silenced it. I think the issue is that when there's no app running using the volume buttons changes the "music" volume which is independent of the "app" volume.

Is After Burner Climax optimized well or does it play like crap on anything older than a iPhone 5?

It plays pretty horribly on iPad 3rd gen - it really should be rendering at iPad 2 resolution because it's unplayably choppy as it is right now.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Does Metal Slug 2 support iCade like 3 (or better, more officially without refocusing)?

Vyer

Continuing from the end of the January thread, anyone playing Tapped Out I added you for more Springfields. I'm vyerx on Origin.

Finally this came out. It's been out on Android for awhile and I thought it looked intriguing. Had favorable reviews, also.

I've been playing the game for about an hour now so far and I'm loving it. Also, I haven't seen any IAP purchases except for the ad-removal option yet.

KARIOSOFT!

Awesome, got The Tribez and Jurassic Park Builder as my wait and play games at the moment. I like how Tribez is balanced so that if you actually "play" you get more value for your actions but you have the option of choosing longer cooldowns if you can't play. Nice balance (so far),

... Beastie Bay time.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Alright, the OP has been updated with the below additions for February (and 1 game from late January!). Let me know if you agree or disagree with any of this. :)

iPL26punoJimK.png

Beastie Bay | Free, Universal (Remove ads and enable landscape mode $4.99 IAP)

Alert! Kairosoft game! Time may mysteriously vanish while playing!

Beastie Bay is Kairosoft's latest iOS -- and first F2P title, a combination of monster gathering (Pokemon-esque) and city building. Most likely insanely addictive like pretty much all their other titles in the past have been (Game Dev Story, Mega Mall Story, GP Story to name a few).

mzl.dmlbezyx.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.eewuyfpp.320x480-75.jpg

Gameplay

iYvvBsDsYYe7L.png

After Burner Climax | $2.99, Universal

Has performance issues when run on iPad 3 due to the high resolution.

SEGA's After Burner Climax is fast and frantic arcade-style action, putting you in the cockpit of the world’s fastest fighter plane. Dodge planes, rockets and bullets while trying to target multiple on-screen enemy aircraft. Built for all skill levels, everyone will be able to take to the air and blaze through a branching storyline of over 20 stages. Unlock achievements along the way to activate exclusive power ups using your experience and expertise.

mzl.dlsohqpq.320x480-75.jpg

Gameplay

iN10qfBHUSZw0.png

METAL SLUG 2 | $3.99, Universal

iCade and Bluetooth co-op play support

mzl.ppjpqbcr.320x480-75.jpg

Gameplay

ilsrejJGKixT.png

PinWar | $1.99, Universal

A new way to play pinball: face-to-face combat, in real-time!

GAME MODES: ★ BATTLE: Face your friends or the A.I. ★ MISSIONS: Solve alone, or co-op with a friend ★ EDITOR: Create your own tables

mzl.mfzckmqq.320x480-75.jpg

Trailer

Also added this game which released January 24th, have been playing it and I really like it. I recommend checking out the trailer (iOS version is identical from what I've experienced so far).

iby3lHSiDsWk2T.png

kairo| $4.99, Universal

Kairo is an atmospheric 3D, first-person exploration and puzzle solving game.

Enter the lost world of Kairo. Explore vast abandoned monuments. Bring strange and ancient machinery back to life. Slowly uncover the true purpose of Kairo and fulfil a great destiny.

mzl.lopsiybf.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.ijdisstz.320x480-75.jpg

Release trailer (PC version)

Heel

Grab this, it's simple but pretty good fun, bit fiddly on iPhone though.

gah. i didn't see the free bit.. bought the game before it went free. lol

I didn't have any problems with controls or volume on the iPad, which it was originally made for (recently made Universal, so maybe they have some iPhone bugs to squash?).

My biggest problem is the difficulty curve is too damn easy. Even the bosses aren't putting up much of a fight, and I've gone up 6 levels. Anyone else see it that way? Maybe I got some lucky drops, maybe it's a really slow curve...shrug.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How does Kairo run on iPad2? Kind of want it, PC version intrigued me but it's not a shooter so could play alright on iOS.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
How does Kairo run on iPad2? Kind of want it, PC version intrigued me but it's not a shooter so could play alright on iOS.

I can only test it on iPhone 5 and iPad 3, both of which it runs fine on. The developer recommends iPad 2 and above or 4S and above.

It controls great, this is not a hectic game by any means.

I manged to save 100 on Happy Street since the update...I wonder if I should get the chinese stuff or upgrade this workshop. So many things are asking for 8 hours items now. >_>

Looking at you Asian buildings!

Pachimari

I haven't been able to get into any of Kairosoft's games and the pixel graphics is a complete turn off but ill give Beastie Bay a chance.

On another note, I'm really enjoying The Sims Freeplay again, am I the only one?

SteveWD40

I didn't have any problems with controls or volume on the iPad, which it was originally made for (recently made Universal, so maybe they have some iPhone bugs to squash?).

My biggest problem is the difficulty curve is too damn easy. Even the bosses aren't putting up much of a fight, and I've gone up 6 levels. Anyone else see it that way? Maybe I got some lucky drops, maybe it's a really slow curve...shrug.

It's random as fuck, but then he said it was a Roguelike... I have had games where I tear it up and others where I get one shot by a boss pretty quick.

I manged to save 100 on Happy Street since the update...I wonder if I should get the chinese stuff or upgrade this workshop. So many things are asking for 8 hours items now. >_>

Looking at you Asian buildings!

Gotta be the Chinese stuff, since you can upgrade the workshop any time and the Chinese stuff is only there for three more weeks.

(Well, so it says, I think you can still buy Christmas stuff).

If anyone's got yellow or blue crystals by the way, please add me! Also, sorry for anyone I spam for crystals. I need like 20.

Does Galaxy on Fire II HD have a similar control set up to Arc Squadron? I can't deal with virtual sticks after the Arc Squadron control method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom