• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilflare

I loaded up Dragon Island Blue for the first time in a while. SUCH a good game. :|

I remember posting it.. when it just came out of beta.. some immediate responses were on how the art isn't original, etc...

but i'm glad it's finally getting some love here at GAF

wilflare

I didn't have any problems with controls or volume on the iPad, which it was originally made for (recently made Universal, so maybe they have some iPhone bugs to squash?).

My biggest problem is the difficulty curve is too damn easy. Even the bosses aren't putting up much of a fight, and I've gone up 6 levels. Anyone else see it that way? Maybe I got some lucky drops, maybe it's a really slow curve...shrug.

makes me feel that I did not have to spend that.. 0.99
:p

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Dear Neogaf,

I am super excited to be able to finally share my company's very first iOS game called 'Stick to it!' with you.

The game is live on the app store as of today and we decided to make it completely free with no ads and no in app purchases for the first 3 days as we want as many people as possible to play. It's a universal app with full retina assets and will run equally well on iPhone and iPad.

Download it from the app store here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stick-to-it!/id594605100?l=en&mt=8

Stick to It! Screenshots said:
mzl.pwkogeiu.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.zyuisxco.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.nebfzrst.320x480-75.jpg

Info said:

Thanks for playing and I hope you'll enjoy it =)

Vire

Dear Neogaf,

I am super excited to be able to finally share my company's very first iOS game called 'Stick to it!' with you.

The game is live on the app store as of today and we decided to make it completely free with no ads and no in app purchases for the first 3 days as we want as many people as possible to play. It's a universal app with full retina assets and will run equally well on iPhone and iPad.

Download it from the app store here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stick-to-it!/id594605100?l=en&mt=8

Awesome! Downloading it now, thanks for the shot at playing it for free.

The background art to the levels look beautiful.

It's a tiny bit derivative of the style of Cut the Rope with the stars and all, but very charming little game! Good luck to you and your team.

Card Boy

Banned
Does Galaxy on Fire II HD have a similar control set up to Arc Squadron? I can't deal with virtual sticks after the Arc Squadron control method.

Abit of both. The stick controlls movement, swiping allows you to dodge and increase or decrease speed. Shooting has its own dedicated buttons.

IGN has a new edition of its top 25 iPhone and iPad Games of All Time list:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/07/the-top-25-iphone-and-ipad-games

Desclaimer - This list was mostly determined by me.

I don't link this list like at all Justin.

Heres MY top 25 list

- GTA: Chinatown Wars
- Ascension
- League of Evil
- Neuroshima Hex
- Reckless Racing 2
- Assassins Creed: Recollection
- Beat Hazard
- Hero Academy
- Sid Meiers Pirates!
- A Bards Tale
- Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
- Mutant Mudds
- Mass Effect: Infiltrator
- Might & Magic: Duels of Champions
- Modern Combat 4
- Shadowgun: Dead Zone
- Kingdom Rush
- Sid Meiers Civilization Revloution
- Adventure Bar Story
- Real Racing 2
- Shadow Era
- Simon The Sorcerer
- Final Fantasy 3
- Junk Jack
- Chaos Rings 2

I don't believe in endless runners, games that takes 10 hrs to build something, games with stamina or games without longevity.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dear Neogaf,

Great game! Love the animations, really well done.

PFD

Heres MY top 25 list

- Ascension
- League of Evil
- Neuroshima Hex
- Reckless Racing 2
- Beat Hazard
- Hero Academy
- Sid Meiers Pirates!
- A Bards Tale
- Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
- Mutant Mudds
- Modern Combat 4
- Kingdom Rush
- Adventure Bar Story
- Real Racing 2
- Shadow Era
- Simon The Sorcerer
- Final Fantasy 3
- Junk Jack
- Chaos Rings 2

I don't believe in endless runners, games that takes 10 hrs to build something, games with stamina or games without longevity.

Is that best to worst or other way around?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I don't link this list like at all Justin.

Heres MY top 25 list

- Ascension
- League of Evil
- Neuroshima Hex
- Reckless Racing 2
- Beat Hazard
- Hero Academy
- Sid Meiers Pirates!
- A Bards Tale
- Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
- Mutant Mudds
- Modern Combat 4
- Kingdom Rush
- Adventure Bar Story
- Real Racing 2
- Shadow Era
- Simon The Sorcerer
- Final Fantasy 3
- Junk Jack
- Chaos Rings 2

Good list, mostly. Shadowgun and ME:I are kind-of dogs, though.

Pawn'd has gone free, the quite excellent Pawn'd.

It's a match three, basically, but with a chess theme. Each of the tiles can only move one space in the direction of the chess piece, so bishops can only move diagonally, etc. Pawns can only move forwards, but can move two spaces if you move them directly forward. Knights move like knights. With the right set-up, you can castle with a king and a rook. So yeah, it's match three but with a twist, and it works brilliantly.

There are a bunch of modes, too, some timed, some where you have time to think and plan ahead while meeting certain conditions, there's really something for everyone whether you like chess or not!

mzl.xnfvebzn.320x480-75.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That racer that looks like a Daytona rip off and went free? Don't bother, so so bad (and possibly using some Daytona assets).

Dear Neogaf,

Loved your game. I hope it does well.

Repulze got it's Phase 2 content update. Still a big fan of this one. Great futuristic time-trial racer.

Dear Neogaf,

Grabbed both of these. Thanks for the heads up.

Dear Neogaf,

Downloaded, thanks for the free game. Art looks amazing!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just wanted to pass along this article I wrote about the most ridiculous, cynical, IAP-laden game I've played since Final Fantasy: All the Bravest. Meet Gameloft's new shooter, Blitz Brigade:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Blitz+Brigade/feature.asp?c=48432

You have to pay for tokens to play the game online. You get five free tokens when you download Blitz Brigade. Once you've spent those, though, you'll have to fork out for more.

Oh, and you'll spend a token even if you join a match with just seconds left to go, or if the match abruptly ends because the host disconnected.

Hilarious. I'm never going to play this even harder now.

And according to the article, you can also buy an item that kills everyone on screen. Fun. I honestly can't understand why anyone would want to spend their time with a game like that.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

It's a match three, basically, but with a chess theme. Each of the tiles can only move one space in the direction of the chess piece, so bishops can only move diagonally, etc. Pawns can only move forwards, but can move two spaces if you move them directly forward. Knights move like knights. With the right set-up, you can castle with a king and a rook. So yeah, it's match three but with a twist, and it works brilliantly.

There are a bunch of modes, too, some timed, some where you have time to think and plan ahead while meeting certain conditions, there's really something for everyone whether you like chess or not!

mzl.xnfvebzn.320x480-75.jpg

That looks really interesting. Thanks for the heads up!

If you live in the US, we still have about 50% of our free codes for Need for Speed Most Wanted available. The promotion runs until Feb 20th:

http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/needforspeed

Unfortunately the international promo codes are either gone or very nearly gone.

I've only gone through a few races but it's a really fun game. The racing is really smooth, controls are easy to use, and the variety of cars seems pretty big. I wish it were a little easier to take down competitors/cops like in Burnout but I guess that's not the point of the game. Also, it doesn't seem like drifting has any advantage other than raising the boost meter, so I find myself using it less. Perhaps when I get better at the game I will be able to drift through turns faster than I can just drive through them, so it will seem more worthwhile.

So far so good.

It will be interesting to see how deep it is and how long it can command my attention.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm having problems downloading NFS. Whenever I reach about 80% installed the download fails. It's probably an issue on my end, but this is the first time I've experienced something like this. Weird.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm having problems downloading NFS. Whenever I reach about 80% installed the download fails. It's probably an issue on my end, but this is the first time I've experienced something like this. Weird.
Have had that once or twice with large games as well, pausing the download midway through and then resuming it has fixed it in my cases.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm in USA and i get this Sorry, this promotion is closed.all the time.

Sorry. Frustrating to have a cool thing messed up by weird engineering issues and bugs.

I know it doesn't help you personally, but over a couple hundred thousand codes have successfully been delivered, so the system def. works. Just seems to be a few hard-to-track-down issues.

My guess is that the page probably thinks you're in another country for some reason, but it's hard to say.

What was the trick to getting Dungelot to save your progress? Just lost my 15 min game from last night.

The trick is to get the developer to patch it. I asked about this on the TA forums where the developer posts. Basically to play that game you have to do it in one sitting, or you're screwed.

SteveWD40

The trick is to get the developer to patch it. I asked about this on the TA forums where the developer posts. Basically to play that game you have to do it in one sitting, or you're screwed.

Update is on route though. He posted pics of the continue button, maybe it's in review?

Pachimari

Has this been posted?

Epic Games closes Impossible Studios and put Infinity Blade: Dungeons on hold as they'll figure out what to do with the project.

Just a heads up -- all HD iPad Rovio titles are on sale for $1 if you don't have all of them. Picked up Angry Birds Star Wars and Bad Piggies. Is Space worth it?

SteveWD40

Has this been posted?

Epic Games closes Impossible Studios and put Infinity Blade: Dungeons on hold as they'll figure out what to do with the project.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

So much potential, seemed pretty far along as well. iOS still has a gap for a solid dungeon crawler.

MajorGravy

Neo Member
Dear Neogaf,

Charming little game! Thanks for sharing! I am really enjoying it so far. Good job! :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I had the same issue with NFS.
Yeah, it didn't work out for me. Pausing didn't help but my phone has been funky lately.

But I'll still have Beastie Bay, Knights of Pen & Paper and Arc Squadron to dive into over the weekend. Pretty much all my gaming is iOS these days, never would have seen that coming.

Katori

What does that mean, you don't believe in them? They're all just games. I don't understand. Being an endless runner has nothing to do with monetary decisions/design like your other "no's."

Has this been posted?

It was one of my anticipated games for this year. The next First Touch Soccer moves into it's place now.

Sucks though.

Just finished work, downloading now, looking forward to the "slide to steer" controls.

Takes some getting used to so you might want to turn the sensitivity down...but it's one of those things that might grow on me over time. I sort of like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom