• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Enzom21

Renaming the icon did it :D Thank you so much!

Is there any particular rhyme or rhythm to how your supposed to name the icons? I see a lot of different names but most often it's Icon@2x.png for HD icons.
Apple uses icon@2x.png for most of their apps but sometimes there will be an Icon@2x.png or in the case of the camera and photo apps, something completely different.

Now a lot of AppStore developers will follow the icon@2x.png but sometimes they'll use Icon@2x.png or app_icon@2x.png or something completely different.

Sometimes app info will not have the correct icon name. When I run into that I use ifile and search the App's folder for the icon file. It can be rather time consuming.

The @2x just means it's a retina image.

Renaming the icon did it :D Thank you so much!

Is there any particular rhyme or rhythm to how your supposed to name the icons? I see a lot of different names but most often it's Icon@2x.png for HD icons.
A lot of apps use many different names so i really just go straight to the code using iFile. Every app has an info.plist where i look for something like this:

<key>CFBundleIconFiles</key>
<array>
<string>app_icon.png</string>
<string>app_icon@2x.png</string>
<string>app_icon_ipad.png</string>
<string>app_icon_ipad@2x.png</string>

Then i guess which one is used for iphone. Pretty annoying but luckily i only have a few apps left to do.

Ashhong

Anybody know of a way to move around my icons wherever I want? Iconoclasm doesn't let me do that. I tried the app iblank but it doesn't seem to work. No blank icons show up

Alright I'm up and running. Had to use my girlfriends laptop.

Can anyone recommend a good RSS Feed for the jailbreaking community. To keep up to date with new cool apps/themes/etc.

Dunk#7

I just installed 6.1 while connected to the computer and ran the jailbreak process. I have done several of the jailbreaks in the past so I am not new to the territory, but now that everything is finished and I have the Cydia app my iPhone 5 gets stuck on the Apple logo during the boot process after a reset.

Is this a common issue? What is the workaround? Reboot until it works?

Ashhong

I just installed 6.1 while connected to the computer and ran the jailbreak process. I have done several of the jailbreaks in the past so I am not new to the territory, but now that everything is finished and I have the Cydia app my iPhone 5 gets stuck on the Apple logo during the boot process after a reset.

Is this a common issue? What is the workaround? Reboot until it works?

Do a hard reset. Mine used to do that but suddenly stopped. It's a common issue

Dunk#7

Do a hard reset. Mine used to do that but suddenly stopped. It's a common issue

Thank you for the information

Just wondering...what is a soft reset? I have always done the "hold home and power buttons down for 10 seconds" which I read is considered to be the hard reset.

Ashhong

Thank you for the information

Just wondering...what is a soft reset? I have always done the "hold home and power buttons down for 10 seconds" which I read is considered to be the hard reset.

Probably either pressing the reset button that some programs provide, or just holding the normal power button and sliding off.

Enzom21

Anyone know how to change the background that opens up when i click on a folder? Or when i double click the home button?

If you are using Winterboard, it goes in var/stash/themes.xxxxxx/theme/folders/Springboard.app and it is named FolderSwitcherBG-568h~iphone for the iphone 5.

If you are not using Winterboard, it goes in System/Library/Core Services/Springboard.app

It should look something like this when you are done.
B52F27A6-B9B4-4E58-9B1C-AC5995F03B36-375-00000001149234A0.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thanks a lot for the replies, enzo and skeezer!

So this is my current set up. First two wallpapers do a pretty good job of hiding that annoying slider line.

I think I'm satisfied with what I have now in terms of JB apps and aesthetic tweaks.
Time to start my readings.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Any alternatives for the default winterboard themes? The Icon label ones for instance don't work and have never worked on my iPhone 4 regardless of iOS version, and anyone know what I am looking for to get rid of the gradient behind the dock too?

Ashhong

Any alternatives for the default winterboard themes? The Icon label ones for instance don't work and have never worked on my iPhone 4 regardless of iOS version, and anyone know what I am looking for to get rid of the gradient behind the dock too?

Well you can download countless number of themes in Cydia. But maybe you are doing something wrong? Works fine for me...

timnich

What tweaks and Cydia apps are people using? It's pretty hard to discover cool apps on your own, but I'm pretty happy with what I have now.

Here's what I'm using:
Auxo: replaces the stock app switcher with a much nicer looking and much more useful switcher
Springtomize: use it to hide stupid stock apps, shrink icons to 80%, fit 5 apps in my dock
Chrome Download Manager: allows you download files through Chrome
Favourite Contacts: have my favourite contacts in my notification center for easy dialling
iFile: file manager, unzipper, etc.
Password Pilot: saves my iTunes password
NCSettings: adds toggles to the Notification Center, such as Wifi on/off, volume, brightness
Nitrous: allows non-apple apps to use Nitro, which speeds up certain apps quite considerably. Useful for Chrome, Facebook
Maps Opener: opens Map links in the Google Maps app

I was very happy to see most of my favourite Cydia apps to be working on iOS 6. I found no speed loss on my iPhone 5, still feels snappy. I'm also surprised at the consistent visual design of the apps and tweaks, makes it seem like my phone was meant to be customized this way.

Interested in Bridge, it lets you import media into iTunes on your iPhone. Not that I would really need it, but it seems really cool. Anyone try it out?

Shaneus

You mean this one?

I don't know if anyone here would be interested or not, but here's an interesting article with an insight into (almost) exactly how the jailbreak process works. Interesting stuff.

PS. That fully spelled-out time thing looks badarse.
:(

Ugh. Every time I restart my phone it locks up. Jail breaking sucks.

when a new jailbreak comes out it always has bugs that needs to be worked out, I always wait till there has been a revision or 2 before I go ahead

Also the world of jailbreaking is a double-edged sword, yeah you are now open to a whole new world of possibilities but at the same time the more things you install from cydia the more chance you have of making your phone less stable, worse battery life, etc.

You kinda just have to figure out what works for you.

When I first started jailbreaking a few years ago I did a lot of the winterboard customization stuff but I dont really mess with that stuff anymore. I just do it for tweaks that add functionality to the phone that I think should already be there in the first place and for the most part I haven't had any issues for a long time

but yeah i'm still holding off for a week or so before I do the new jailbreak, let all you guys find the bugs :)

Ashhong

also, it goes by FastBlurredNotificationCenter

l93sCVF.jpg

Multiple questions:

How did you get rid of the Facebook post section? Do you just not have a facebook?

How did you get the NC to show up on top like this? Mine is "behind" whatever is on the screen. I'll post a screenshot if people don't understand what this means.

Quick

Banned
Multiple questions:

How did you get rid of the Facebook post section? Do you just not have a facebook?

How did you get the NC to show up on top like this? Mine is "behind" whatever is on the screen. I'll post a screenshot if people don't understand what this means.

Question 1:

Go to Settings > Notificaitons > Share Widget > Switch to OFF.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Well you can download countless number of themes in Cydia. But maybe you are doing something wrong? Works fine for me...

I'm not really sure what I can be doing wrong, lol, this isn't my first jb I just jumped off the wagon for a year, I've had to use alternatives in the past because for some reason some of the default ones have just never worked.

Do you have Zephyr installed? I had the same problem with the notification not displaying like it was suppose to, would pull the app down and the NC would be behind it, till I disabled the notification center option.

Ashhong

Question 1:

Go to Settings > Notificaitons > Share Widget > Switch to OFF.

Oh snap, that's where the setting is hiding, thanks!

I'm not really sure what I can be doing wrong, lol, this isn't my first jb I just jumped off the wagon for a year, I've had to use alternatives in the past because for some reason some of the default ones have just never worked.

To clarify, you are talking about the labels under app icons right? Removing those? I just check mark the "No label for undocked/docked icons", drag it to the top and its done..

Do you have Zephyr installed? I had the same problem with the notification not displaying like it was suppose to till I disabled the notification center option.

That did it! thanks. What is that option even supposed to do? I can't activate any Zephyr gestures within NC even with it turned on

Kirby102

For those wondering on how to get old YouTube (from iOS5) to iOS 6, just... give up. I've looked into some solutions for my iPad but they just crash the app on opening it. Even then, it does the weird 1/4 screen glitch when you go into Cydia and some other apps, quite frustrating.

Haven't tried on my iPhone, but I think results would be the same, but from the youtube videos that I've seen, people said it "works", so I'm not sure really. I'll try on my iPhone later.

Just a question, what is the tweak that lets you have the status bar indicators in the NC for iPad? Reason for this is that I installed FastBlurriedNotificationCenter and it blurs everything else, including the battery/wifi indicators.

Jubern

I've never changed my theme with Springboard or anything but seeing some of the screens in my phones REALLY makes me want to try. Is there a website where I could preview themes?

Quick

Banned
I think I'll keep most of the aesthetics intact. I do want to change the Notification Center and Switcher background, though.

Pachimari

Anyone having trouble completely hiding the bottom lock bar? It's a thin grey line where the slide to lock is. I'm trying to work out a few themes but this line is persistent throughout each theme I've used. I have 'slide to unlock killer' enabled but it seems to be a problem only attached with ios 6.1

I've used tonnes of themes in the past on 5.1.1 and they've all worked fine. Here's a picture of what I mean:

sN1De1U.jpg

It's the grey line across the bottom.
How do I get this?

I'm glad that I'm able to hipsterize my phone again.
I don't think there is currently a way to get rid of the grey line at the bottom.

tDaudLl.png

My current lockscreen after not being able to fix the grey bar.

hj2xZb6.png

Undecided whether or not to translate the dark theme to the homescreen. Haven't really messed around with new icon packages so I don't wanna do any drastic changes.
And how do I get these?

Thanks a lot for the replies, enzo and skeezer!

So this is my current set up. First two wallpapers do a pretty good job of hiding that annoying slider line.

I think I'm satisfied with what I have now in terms of JB apps and aesthetic tweaks.
Time to start my readings.
Can you share your wallpapers?

neemmss

You need to restore to 6.1. You can't upgrade from a jailbroken firmware. That error you're getting is because of a host issue as explained in the link.

Got it! Thanks a lot. :)

I just keep getting stuck at the Apple logo upon reboot. :( Any solutions? I already tried a hard reset multiple times and can't get back into iOS.

Ashhong

I've never changed my theme with Springboard or anything but seeing some of the screens in my phones REALLY makes me want to try. Is there a website where I could preview themes?

Most of the themes have a screenshot button in Cydia so you can check it out

Meatfist

Is jailbroken 6.1 worth it for an iPhone 4? I'm running 5.0.1 (jailbroken) at the moment and I have no complaints in terms of speed or battery life.

Also, what would be the easiest way to back up my stuff before jailbreaking?

Ashhong

My phone is being a little screwy. Sometimes when I am using BiteSMS quick reply, Auxo will pop up while typing, even though I have the option selected in Zephyr to disable when keyboard is present. I seem to be able to drag up Auxo from the spacebar.

Also, in the middle of typing, sometimes the QR would just disappear. I guess it's some issue with BiteSMS? Anybody else using this?

Oh, and sometimes the stock notification that gets hidden behind the QR doesnt move correctly, so I can actually see it under the QR. Kind of ugly.

edit: I recommend you guys get Bulletin, it lets you really customize the notification center. Does the blur thing and so much more.

Pachimari

Thank you sir.

Now can anyone tell us who don't know how to do a custom lock screen theme like those seen on the last 3 pages? Step by step.

Should I do this:
- Connect iPhone to computer with the USB cable.
- Transfer the files where? Should I SHSH?

And how do I remove the labels on my icons? Springtomize 2 does it I think but it doesn't work on my iPhone 5 iOS 6.1.

Shaneus

My phone is being a little screwy. Sometimes when I am using BiteSMS quick reply, Auxo will pop up while typing, even though I have the option selected in Zephyr to disable when keyboard is present. I seem to be able to drag up Auxo from the spacebar.

Also, in the middle of typing, sometimes the QR would just disappear. I guess it's some issue with BiteSMS? Anybody else using this?

Oh, and sometimes the stock notification that gets hidden behind the QR doesnt move correctly, so I can actually see it under the QR. Kind of ugly.

edit: I recommend you guys get Bulletin, it lets you really customize the notification center. Does the blur thing and so much more.
I have a feeling at least one or two of the apps you mentioned there aren't 6.1 ready yet (unless that's been remedied in the last day or so). I could've sworn I read that BiteSMS wasn't kosher... and Zephyr as well. But I could be wrong.

Ashhong

And how do I remove the labels on my icons? Springtomize 2 does it I think but it doesn't work on my iPhone 5 iOS 6.1.

I thought I saw the latest Springtomize 2 works? Anyway, Winterboard does it as well.

I have a feeling at least one or two of the apps you mentioned there aren't 6.1 ready yet (unless that's been remedied in the last day or so). I could've sworn I read that BiteSMS wasn't kosher... and Zephyr as well. But I could be wrong.

Yea this is what I am assuming. I haven't heard anything official on it though so I wasn't sure.

Hela

So, a weird thing happened the jailbreak broke after a one day of use.
After locking the screen it won't unlock, it's just black and nothing happenes. The thing is I haven't installed anything from cydia since the first day and I have no idea whot might have caused it. I really haven't time to restore everything again. Any ideas?

Enzom21

After I jailbroke 6.1.
You might have to let it sit until it boots. That's apparently an issue.

So, a weird thing happened the jailbreak broke after a one day of use.
After locking the screen it won't unlock, it's just black and nothing happenes. The thing is I haven't installed anything from cydia since the first day and I have no idea whot might have caused it. I really haven't time to restore everything again. Any ideas?
Did you try a hard reset? Holding the home+power until it restarts.

Hela

Did you try a hard reset? Holding the home+power until it restarts.
Yeah, that's what kept me not throwing it through the window.
It will unlock normally if I wait like 5 minutes, which of course is unusable.

Also the weather fix didn't work.

Enzom21

Yeah, that's what kept me not throwing it through the window.
It will unlock normally if I wait like 5 minutes, which of course is unusable.

Also the weather fix didn't work.
It sounds like a tweak is causing that. It worked for me. Did you let the process run until it got to the point where it says reboot?

Top Bottom