• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Kunohara

So I'm about to jailbreak my phone again since the 6.1.1 update came out. I've changed the root password for my phone from alpine. I was just wondering if doing a restore (which I've just done, and I'm restoring my backup now), will reset the root password back to alpine? Or will I have to change it again?

Presco

Had my iPhone 5 replaced by Apple last night due to a camera issue and when trying to setup up my Gmail using the exchange server I learned that as of Jan 31st, Google has disabled this ability for new devices. WTF! Only way to get push notifications on new devices is using the Gmail app (and presumably Mailbox whenever my reservation comes through). Fine, problem is that now there's no email integration within the rest of the OS. Is there a jailbreak app that would let me set the Gmail app as the default email client for everything?

Edit - you can still set up Gmail using iOS Mail but you can only fetch email.

Enzom21

So I'm about to jailbreak my phone again since the 6.1.1 update came out. I've changed the root password for my phone from alpine. I was just wondering if doing a restore (which I've just done, and I'm restoring my backup now), will reset the root password back to alpine? Or will I have to change it again?

It resets the password.

Kunohara

It resets the password.

Thanks alot. Since you're here, I have another question about Simplscreen that you posted awhile ago. How would I go about changing the wallpaper? I know you said the lockscreen was html, but I was just wondering if I had to go and change something in there or what. I do have ifile and I can ftp into the phone, so I know how to do that. Also, how would I go about changing the clock for that theme? Or is it just part of the theme?

Sorry for the numerous questions, this is my first time jailbreaking, and tweaking my phone.

Enzom21

Thanks alot. Since you're here, I have another question about Simplscreen that you posted awhile ago. How would I go about changing the wallpaper? I know you said the lockscreen was html, but I was just wondering if I had to go and change something in there or what. I do have ifile and I can ftp into the phone, so I know how to do that. Also, how would I go about changing the clock for that theme? Or is it just part of the theme?

Sorry for the numerous questions, this is my first time jailbreaking, and tweaking my phone.

Which SimplScreen, the orignal or the one I made changes to?

Shaneus

I'm not 100% on it being Auxo that's causing the crashes. Since I updated to 6.1.1 and didn't use PkgBackup (meaning I had control over every package that was installed) it's been a shitload more stable. But I'm still having the following problems:
* Screen dimming on respring (sometimes)
* GridLock STILL HASN'T FUCKING BEEN UPDATED YET.

Ashhong

I'm not 100% on it being Auxo that's causing the crashes. Since I updated to 6.1.1 and didn't use PkgBackup (meaning I had control over every package that was installed) it's been a shitload more stable. But I'm still having the following problems:

I too get the screen dimming, but it goes away if I just turn the screen on and off. Does that not fix it for you? I think it's Auxo though, because it happens the majority of the time if I respring using Auxo.

That's not really a problem lol...

So i got an iPhone 4 jailbroken at 5.1. So to update do I just backup on iTunes and update via iTunes then restore?

People say it's best to start fresh when you update. So you would want to back it up just in case, then restore with iTunes and start new. However you can probably just backup, Restore on itunes, then restore from backup, then jailbreak.

Red

It might be Auxo in conjunction with Speingtomize or something. Most crashes happen to me when I am trying to, like, load a station on Spotify and bring up Auxo at the same time. The system hangs, then I get a springboard crash. Sometimes it's out of the blue, though.

For some reason location services won't turn off unless I disable it. This has only been happening since this morning. No idea what app is using it.

Is 6.1.1 worth updating? Not really in the mood to back up and reinstall everything.

Homeboyd

I don't have Auxo and respringing from Springtomize often causes the dimming for me. Winterboard respring never does and neither does respringing from my lockscreen SBS add-on.

So... It ain't Auxo!! Unless you're just talking about crashing in which case I can't comment.

Edit: dimming isn't occurring now...

Red

If you go into Location Services in the settings you can see what app has recently used it
Thanks. It's Any.DO, so nothing to do with jail breaking. I don't know how or why it is being used so I might just have to disable location for the app. Never set up a location reminder that I can remember, and don't see any listed.

Cleared out my to do list and remade it. Location is off. Yay.

Thanks Ashhong.

Ashhong

Thanks. It's Any.DO, so nothing to do with jail breaking. I don't know how or why it is being used so I might just have to disable location for the app. Never set up a location reminder that I can remember, and don't see any listed.

Cleared out my to do list and remade it. Location is off. Yay.

Thanks Ashhong.

No problemo

Enzom21

I don't have Auxo and respringing from Springtomize often causes the dimming for me. Winterboard respring never does and neither does respringing from my lockscreen SBS add-on.

So... It ain't Auxo!! Unless you're just talking about crashing in which case I can't comment.

Edit: dimming isn't occurring now...

The dimming thing just happened to me on a device that has never been jailbroken before and had zero tweaks installed. I think it's an issue with the untethered jailbreak, like the weather app not opening.

Shaneus

It might be Auxo in conjunction with Speingtomize or something. Most crashes happen to me when I am trying to, like, load a station on Spotify and bring up Auxo at the same time. The system hangs, then I get a springboard crash. Sometimes it's out of the blue, though.

For some reason location services won't turn off unless I disable it. This has only been happening since this morning. No idea what app is using it.

Is 6.1.1 worth updating? Not really in the mood to back up and reinstall everything.
I guess it might be worth it if you have a 4S? Like I mentioned earlier, I was surprised to learn that the iTunes backup backed up all my package and app settings (except for my Pinball Arcade save for some reason) so you'd probably be able to get away with iTunes Backup > update as "new phone" to 6.1.1 > j/b > sync/restore backup > install packages from Cydia.

I think the battery life and reception *has* improved, but I haven't run any solid tests, other than noting that with nothing running and the minimum installed (though still had Auxo and Springtomize on there) it dropped about 1% battery over 45 mins without using it (which I don't think was happening with 6.1).

I too get the screen dimming, but it goes away if I just turn the screen on and off. Does that not fix it for you? I think it's Auxo though, because it happens the majority of the time if I respring using Auxo.

That's not really a problem lol...
Regardsless of if I respring using Auxo or something else (in this case, Springtomize) I get the dimming. I initially thought it might've been something Auxo was doing (like implementing min brightness, then failing to read the value it should be set to or something) but with that other poster saying it was happening when it wasn't installed... I dunno.

Oh, and that other thing that was broken: Springtomize Time/Free RAM option for custom status bar STILL doesn't work. Even just displaying "Free RAM" doesn't display the right amount.

Kunohara

Which SimplScreen, the orignal or the one I made changes to?

The one you made changes too. I've downloaded the one you've linked here where you can get rid of the slider. I'm just wondering if it is possible to change the way the date/time show up, and to change the wallpaper.

Pachimari

I'm trying to jailbreak my Apple TV2, this is what I'm doing:

- Restoring to 5.2 through Seas0nPass.
- aTV Flash (black) but it says my device has not been jailbroken.

What am I doing wrong?

Seas0nPass is creating an IPSW and putting it on my ATV2.

EDIT:
I tried one more time and I think that did it.

I'll try install Plex on it now.

Blackhead

Redarse
The iPhone5 jailbreak and tweaks are too buggy right now. Half my essential tweaks aren't working properly, if at all (e.g. Reveal) and I fear some of them may never see an update (e.g. appslide, QuickScroll). Maybe in a month or two all the kinks would be worked out, the Pebble/iWatch would be readily available and the iPhone would be the best communications device but for now I give up on smartphones.

p.s. jailbreak or no jailbreak, the iPhone5 batterylife doesn't compare to the Note2 :/

Did anyone else with an iPad notice the keyboard doing wonky things when jailbroken?

I'm not sure if the issue is the jailbreak or the ipad itself, but the cursor will skip around in the middle of typing or skip letters that the click sound has been made for. I haven't noticed any issues with my iPhone, but the iPad is driving me crazy.

I also removed SwipeSelection because of the typos. I don't remember it being like this on earlier iOS versions. =/

SwipeSelection was always somewhat bad. I have it installed on my OG iPad running iOS 4.3 and I got typos like crazy after installing it. But it's such a good tweak!

Did anyone else with an iPad notice the keyboard doing wonky things when jailbroken?

I'm not sure if the issue is the jailbreak or the ipad itself, but the cursor will skip around in the middle of typing or skip letters that the click sound has been made for. I haven't noticed any issues with my iPhone, but the iPad is driving me crazy.

Yes, this is what typing with SwipeSelection can be.

Is there an app that will allow me to refresh a safari page without having to go all the way to the top of the page first to hit the reload button?

Maybe a gesture app or something?

Blackhead

Redarse
SwipeSelection was always somewhat bad. I have it installed on my OG iPad running iOS 4.3 and I got typos like crazy after installing it. But it's such a good tweak.

Yeah, I dumped SwipeSelection the first time I tried it because it broke the slide+shift/alt keys shortcut. Same with Octopus Keyboard and that's a slower typing experience because I touch type and never look rarely look at the keys. Can't believe Blackbery is selling that as an innovative mobile keyboard experience.

Get:
SwipeShiftCaret instead of SwipeSelection.
KBShortcuts
ShowCase
QuickEmoji
ManualCorrect Pro (whenever it's updated for iOS6)

Those all make the keyboard somewhat decent.
Still not as good as a Swype keyboard which is perfect for small screens like the iPhones

Is there an app that will allow me to refresh a safari page without having to go all the way to the top of the page first to hit the reload button?

FullScreen for Safari
SwipeSafari

Ashhong

Just in case you didn't know, you can just tap the top statusbar to go instantly to the top, then press the refresh button. I guess it is one more thing to do, but I would prefer to do that rather than install yet another tweak.

Just in case you didn't know, you can just tap the top statusbar to go instantly to the top, then press the refresh button. I guess it is one more thing to do, but I would prefer to do that rather than install yet another tweak.

The problem is I don't want to lose my place in the page when I refresh. Tapping the status bar takes me all the way to the top, then refreshes.

Blackhead

Redarse

The problem is I don't want to lose my place in the page when I refresh. Tapping the status bar takes me all the way to the top, then refreshes.

You can also use a refresh bookmarklet if you don't want install the tweaks I suggested

Flunkie

Banned
Can I jailbreak with this one (evasi0n?) and not lose any data/pics/etc.? I know the tutorials out there say I *may* lose my camera roll, but what were your experiences?

So what do you guys think about IntelliscreenX 6? Is it worth the $10 compared to the free LockInfo? Is the Messages+ it comes with also make the purchase worth it compared to BiteSMS?

The new version of LockInfo is absolute garbage. I LOVED LockInfo before iOS 6 but they have completely ruined it. Even when Intelliscreen first came onto the scene, I didn't even flinch as I was so enamored with LockInfo. Now I have been using the 3-day trial for IntelliscreenX and I am going to spend the $10 without a doubt.

As others have said, LockInfo is not free. Even if it was, IntelliscreenX is worth the price.

rbanke

I have just jailbroken my ipad 1 that has 5.1.1. Does anyone know of any jb specific apps/ tweaks to make this thing faster? It's so slow these days that I never even use it anymore. Just trying to speed it up for the wife and my son to use.

The new version of LockInfo is absolute garbage. I LOVED LockInfo before iOS 6 but they have completely ruined it. Even when Intelliscreen first came onto the scene, I didn't even flinch as I was so enamored with LockInfo. Now I have been using the 3-day trial for IntelliscreenX and I am going to spend the $10 without a doubt.

As others have said, LockInfo is not free. Even if it was, IntelliscreenX is worth the price.
Yeah I tried out LockInfo 5 and I didn't like it at all. How did you get a free trial? Because when I want to try it, it asks me to pay the $9.99 and I don't see an option to start the free trial without paying first.

Edit: Never mind I figured it out

Ashhong

Hey guys, I know this isnt iOS6 but, I have an iPhone 3G on 3.1.3 that has a broken Home button and is stuck in DFU mode. Any tips on how to get it running on any firmware, jailbroken and unlocked? I was thinking I need to restore it using a custom IPSW?

Shaneus

Fingers crossed here too.
No dice. I either double-clicked in Infinity Blade (1) or while it was in the background... and reboot, just like that.

I'm trying to think of the packages I installed over the last day or so because it had seemed pretty stable prior to that, but none really came to mind as being particularly troublesome (I think there was swipesomething (the cursor one) and Webscrollian). We'll see how that goes.

Weird thing is though, is that I have Auxo on my iPad 3 (even though it's not supported) and basically all my other apps (except for Webscrollian (and maybe a handful of others)... HMMM) and never have it crash at all. Either that's due to the stupid amount of RAM it has, or it's Webscrollian doing it.

Auxo stability appears to be much better within apps. However it is crashing far too often once I use an activator action for multitasking. I think that might be my problem.

Blackhead

Redarse
Holy shit dude. I was so confused for the longest time because this site looks just like an Apple site. Looks awesome thanks

But is there a way to just do it with regular, non-special firmware? Or is this really the best thing to do

http://openipsw.com/

You'll still have to buy and insert a replacement home button though. With whited00r you can get around that via a jailbreak tweak.

Top Bottom