• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Is there any sort of thing in Cydia that force updates playlists, either iOS6.1 or the JB has completely broken live updating which was working perfectly fine beforehand, now they only update when I sync with iTunes, kind of makes the most recent and top songs playlists kind of pointless if they don't work.

So now I'm trying to restore my phone to complete the process and I keep getting error 3194....FUUU.....Should I just update my iOS version? Would that help (maybe Apple wouldn't let me do that, either)? Because I have tried a ton of stuff and iTunes just doesn't want to let me restore...

I seriously just want to uninstall my jailbreak but this is blocking me.

VoxPop

Was there a fix to the weather app problem?

Also my neogaf home screen bookmark crashes my phone whenever I tap it. Is there a known issue with bookmarks?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Was there a fix to the weather app problem?

Also my neogaf home screen bookmark crashes my phone whenever I tap it. Is there a known issue with bookmarks?
Yeah, it got fixed a while ago, just make sure everything's updated in cydia. Not sure about the bookmark thing though.

iLLmAtlc

So now I'm trying to restore my phone to complete the process and I keep getting error 3194....FUUU.....Should I just update my iOS version? Would that help (maybe Apple wouldn't let me do that, either)? Because I have tried a ton of stuff and iTunes just doesn't want to let me restore...

I seriously just want to uninstall my jailbreak but this is blocking me.

Were you trying to restore just by plugging in the phone and going to iTunes?

If so, you might want to try getting into DFU Mode first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9BFanKzCKc

then try restore again

Shaneus

I can say with 99% certainty that it's some combination of Webscrollian and Auxo that's causing the crashing issues I was having. I hadn't used iOS6 without Auxo so I can't say for sure that just having Webscrollian causes the same amount of crashes, but since I removed it I can't say I've seen my device crash (at least, that I can remember).

As it's pretty much a "default" (functionality-wise, at least) kinda app, others who are having troubles should thing about removing it as well to test.

I can say with 99% certainty that it's some combination of Webscrollian and Auxo that's causing the crashing issues I was having. I hadn't used iOS6 without Auxo so I can't say for sure that just having Webscrollian causes the same amount of crashes, but since I removed it I can't say I've seen my device crash (at least, that I can remember).

As it's pretty much a "default" (functionality-wise, at least) kinda app, others who are having troubles should thing about removing it as well to test.

After removing both auxo and webscrollian I have come to the same conclusion. I have dropped webscrollian and reinstalled auxo which has resulted in things becoming much better for both the speed of my device and lack of crashing.

Shaneus

Ah, that's a relief. It's odd that a scrolling thing could affect it, but I guess it's possible that Webscrollian tinkers with some kind of global value that Auxo also refers to. That's all it could be, because Webscrollian didn't have any dependencies when I installed it that would clash with something like Auxo.

I'm about to tweet Sentry now to suggest he takes note of this in case they're still looking for a solution, even though he's the "designer", I'm sure he can still pass info on to the coders.

Fake edit: Oh shit. I was just looking for Sentry's Twitter details, and found this article:
Reinvented iOS app switcher goes from The Verge forums to the iPhone screen

I like how they've taken credit, despite Sentry himself saying that some of the ideas (or something) came from GAF, even to the point where he snuck in a GAF icon. I don't remember seeing a Verge one! Anyway, still cool that we made it to Cydia ;)

One thing I saw on Verge that looks like it's more than doable... a mockup he did of how alerts *could* be handled:
ibjHsyM5n5rz6b.gif

I like it.

Been a while since I've jailbroken... like 2 years? What are the must have stuff? Got Auxo, browser changer for chrome, f.lux, NCSettings, nitrous.

What are good lockscreen tweaks? Well pretty much all I want is one that lists my upcoming events, kinda like the stuff listed when you pull down notification center.

Are there any good themes out for iphone 5 yet?

Shaneus

Notable stuff I've cottoned onto since upgrading to 6.1 (and prior, to an extent):
Bars (Free, improves signal strength meter by having increments of bars rather than just the five bars)
Bridge ($2, import media directly into your iTunes library on your phone, good if you download MP3s in a third party browser)
iCleaner (Free, gets rid of unnecessary crap that's never used, like iPad/non-retina images etc., freed up at least 500mb just this morning)
iFile (Not free... only a few $ I think, file system browser/editor w/ web server and now hex editor)
Infinifolders (Not free, cheap though, have unlimited icons in folders)
iSHSHit (Free, back up your SHSH blobs in case of... something, like phone recovery I think)
Protube/HD (~$2 I think, Youtube player/downloader that's well supported and rock solid. HD is for iPad, obv)
Springtomize ($3, is basically a collection of tweaks in a single app, things like icon (rows, labels, size, colour) and task bar customisation, amongst a shitload of other things. Great value and a must-have, IMO)
Zephyr (~$2 I think, adds super slick app transition and app switcher activation that complements Auxo really well)
3G Unrestrictor ($3 or so I think, lets you use wifi-only apps over 3G/LTE, can customise per-app which ones should and shouldn't bypass the restriction)
UpsideDown (Free, will let all apps run while your device is upside down. Kinda useful for me, personally)

I used to use Swipeselection, which allows you to move the cursor left/right when using the on-screen keyboard, but it got a little bit finicky and caused typos here and there when it moved because I typed too quickly. KBShortcuts is supposed to be a worthy replacement, but I've not used it.

That's basically a list of what I have installed on my phone at the moment. There are a couple I'll probably add back on later (Infiniboard maybe, and a colour adjustment thing from Ryan Petrich) but to be honest, I'm happy with how it is. Of course there's heaps I *could* do (haven't even mentioned Winterboard) but any more tweaks would just overcomplicate things IMO.

Edit: Shit, none of those are lockscreen tweaks. Springtomize has a few basic ones, but that's it. But hopefully there's some useful info in there for ya.

Quick

Banned
One thing I saw on Verge that looks like it's more than doable... a mockup he did of how alerts *could* be handled:
http://i.minus.com/ibjHsyM5n5rz6b.gif[img]
I like it.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind seeing Auxo/app switcher move to the middle like that.

JaseMath

I'm new to jailbreaking so excuse the n00bish question, but if I'm running a jailbroken device, how do I update to 6.1.1?

Shaneus

I wouldn't mind seeing Auxo/app switcher move to the middle like that.
That... that is a REALLY good idea. Maybe even pinch out (stretch, I guess?) to display it? I like that idea though, and a lot more accessible for one's thumb/finger than down the bottom of the screen.

You a genius.

I'm new to jailbreaking so excuse the n00bish question, but if I'm running a jailbroken device, how do I update to 6.1.1?
Do the whole process again. Back up your phone, make a note of your Cydia apps, upgrade, restore, re-jailbreak, reinstall Cydia apps.

Basically.

Quick

Banned
That... that is a REALLY good idea. Maybe even pinch out (stretch, I guess?) to display it? I like that idea though, and a lot more accessible for one's thumb/finger than down the bottom of the screen.

You a genius.

I've had the idea in my head for ages now, and I've been meaning to make a concept of it, but I kept putting it off. Maybe I'll shop it later. :p

Shaneus

Anytime :)

Probably a bit late for a warning, but whilst (as far as I know) everything that you can choose to delete that looks like it's safe to do so, probably is. But obviously there's an off chance that it might delete something it shouldn't. But if you stick to just deleting redundant images and languages, you'll end up saving a bucketload.

I've had the idea in my head for ages now, and I've been meaning to make a concept of it, but I kept putting it off. Maybe I'll shop it later. :p
A PM to Sentry probably wouldn't be a bad thing at all. I'm sure he'd love someone to bounce ideas off :)

Quick reply from whatsapp has a bug in it. Whenever i install it, it randomly deletes all my chats once a day or twice a day. When i deleted it no chat was deleted for a week.

When i reinstalled it a week later, my chats started to get deleted again

JaseMath

6.1.1 seems to pack on the problems (I own a 4S), so I'll probably wait for 6.1.2 assuming the Evasion exploit hasn't been patched.

Pachimari

As in, when you press the + button to add a picture and go to the camera? No crashes here.

Wouldn't it just be Activator? Set double tap or whatever to open the phone app?
No. It shouldn't open the phone app. It was a very nice pop up kind of effect. Really awesome for quick dialing or if you needed to call on the lock screen or anywhere.

IISANDERII

I'm seriously considering jailbreaking my iphone. I can't stand not being able to manage my files the way I want.

Does jailbreaking allow a better file manager/transfer than itunes?

Elija2

Would it be worthwhile to jailbreak my 4th-gen iPod Touch if I only use it for music and games? If so, could anyone recommend some jailbreak apps or tweaks that could be of use to me? Most of the recommendations listed here are only useful for iPhones or iPads.

Shaneus

Does anyone else have problems moving the slider for the brightness bar when using Auxo? Or are my fingers just too fat?
Oh god yes. The deadzone feels like it's 1px big.

BTW I've just discovered there's a Cydia package/app that isn't a DOSBox emulator, it's actually a VM running DOS! iDOS 2 I think it's called. Excite.

VoxPop

So I'm having issues with my icons. Icons inside folders randomly turn huge like this bytafont one

8iNoqpc.png

If i exit the folder and go back in, sometimes a different icon is bigger instead.

My current icon size has been resized with Springtomize to 90% and this seems to be the issue. Kinda weird it only happens in folders though. Any one know of a fix? =T

EDIT: nvm noticed there was an update for springtomize on cydia~

linkboy

I'm seriously considering jailbreaking my iphone. I can't stand not being able to manage my files the way I want.

I use a combination of iFile (on my phone) and iFunBox on my PC. The only time I use iTunes for anything is to add music to my phone. Other than that, I manually manage everything.

VoxPop

What's the steps to figure out which thing is killing the battery life?

My phone was 100 when I went to sleep and at 58 when I got up.

I've definitely seen a significant drop in battery life but nowhere near what you're experiencing. I lose at most about 7% overnight.

I hear it's more of an iOS 6.1 problem and not the JB itself. The bulk of it anyway.

Shaneus

Look up a software suite called called CopyTrans. It lets you copy music to/from your device without iTunes, as well as other stuff like backup photos, SMSes, that sort of thing. The software to copy TO your phone is free, but the other abilities cost a little bit of coin. Not a lot, though.

I use it all the time, have no problems with it whatsoever.

dyls

My power button has been really unreliable on my iphone 5 and it started right around when I jail broke. Is there any reason the two would be connected?

I'm planning on getting it replaced at the store later. Can I upgrade to 6.1.2 OTA to get rid of the jailbreak or do I need to do it through iTunes?

xJavonta

Banned
My power button has been really unreliable on my iphone 5 and it started right around when I jail broke. Is there any reason the two would be connected?

I'm planning on getting it replaced at the store later. Can I upgrade to 6.1.2 OTA to get rid of the jailbreak or do I need to do it through iTunes?

Don't think so. That seems like a mechanical problem.

dyls

Don't think so. That seems like a mechanical problem.

Yeah I figured. It was just odd timing. Thought maybe Activator had a bug. But I'm not seeing it widely reported so it probably is just a problem with the phone. Any idea about the OTA update?

xJavonta

Banned
Yeah I figured. It was just odd timing. Thought maybe Activator had a bug. But I'm not seeing it widely reported so it probably is just a problem with the phone. Any idea about the OTA update?

I'm not sure myself, but I would update through iTunes just to be safe. Make a backup too in case things don't go as planned

Neverfade

I tried the jailbreak last night. Worked fine until this evening. Got out of the shower and my phone had cut off. Powering on put it into a boot loop, occasionally with a NAND error. I got it into DFU mode and restored in iTunes but it did the same boot loop. After fucking with it for quite a while I got it to fire up. I wasn't on WiFi, so I set it up as a new phone and went about my business.

Just got home a bit ago and wanted to restore the phone and get all my backed up apps and whatnot onto the phone. Well, when I restore, it's back at the boot loop. I'm messing with it again to try and get it to fire up, but I have no idea if this this is permanently fucked or what.

Anyone have any tips?

So when I downloaded the IntelliScreenX 6 trial, I turned off NCSettings in the ISX6 settings since it had its own quick toggles. Now my trial has expired, and I can't get NCS to come back on. I uninstalled ISX6 from Cydia and reinstalled NCS and still nothing.

Is there a way I can get it to work again or I am screwed?

Edit: Just had to turn it back on in Notifications

Red

My browsers are crashing a lot recently. Both Safari and Chrome. Usually happens when loading a page with a lot of content, especially pictures. Anyone else with problems?

As soon as I hit page back in this thread, they crash.

Hm, updated Zephyr and it seems like they're stable again.

Top Bottom