• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

jcutner

From someone who jailbroke their iPhone 3G, iPad Gen 1 and iPhone4 - I've never had so much springboard crashing as I have on my iPhone5. I don't know if it was caused by Auxo but it would seem like 1 out of 10 times I'd double tap home - it'd hang and respring in safe mode.

So, I restored and updated to 6.1.2 last night - no more jailbreak for me. Guess I should only do it if there's an actual reason - but Apple has added a majority of things I used to jailbreak for - namely tethering and custom SMS ringtones

Double D

So I've got a Jailbroken iPad 1 and iPhone 4S. Trying to use the SNES HD emulator on the iPad and use my iPhone as a controller. Problem is the 'Controlpad' app on my iPhone crashes immediately after I open it. Anyone have an idea on how to fix?

The bad part is I'm pretty sure once I get it working, I'll try a game for about 2 minutes and say, "Neat, that worked", and never touch it again.

Ashhong

So I've got a Jailbroken iPad 1 and iPhone 4S. Trying to use the SNES HD emulator on the iPad and use my iPhone as a controller. Problem is the 'Controlpad' app on my iPhone crashes immediately after I open it. Anyone have an idea on how to fix?

The bad part is I'm pretty sure once I get it working, I'll try a game for about 2 minutes and say, "Neat, that worked", and never touch it again.

This is exactly what I did when I got Super Smash Bros. running with a PS3 controller on my HP Touchpad. Took at least an hour or two and played it for less than 5 minutes.

TheContact

Activator isn't working for me. I'm trying to set it so the status bar changes my brightness, both Activator and the Brightness addon say they're compatible with ios6 but it's not. I change my brightness all the time and hate having to go to Settings to do it. Back on ios5, I had one that added a brightness toggle to the multitask media window, but it doesn't work in ios6.

On a plus side, Winterboard got updated so Typophone weather shows text messages to the lock screen again.

Anyone know the name of the jailbreak that adds the 'close app X' on the multitasking bar so I wouldn't have to hold the icon the first?

Auxo is great and all but too many crashes forced me to delete (for now)

Wiz

Does removing apps in iTunes screw around with my icon placement? Want to be sure before I sync and mess up all my folders.

Mortalias

Neo Member
Activator isn't working for me. I'm trying to set it so the status bar changes my brightness, both Activator and the Brightness addon say they're compatible with ios6 but it's not. I change my brightness all the time and hate having to go to Settings to do it. Back on ios5, I had one that added a brightness toggle to the multitask media window, but it doesn't work in ios6.

On a plus side, Winterboard got updated so Typophone weather shows text messages to the lock screen again.

Why not just download Auxo? Brightness setting right on the multitask bar.

djblue89

Since I've jailbroken my iPhone, I've had some problems when I update my apps where an icon from the last app I deleted appeared and it stays there!

Has anyone encountered this problem ?

To make it disappear I have to click on it once my app that I was updating is done and then it will go away.

Any help ?

ant1532

Banned
so i was thinking about jailbreaking my 6.1 but quickly reading some posts in this thread suggest that would not be wise... are the problems really that tied to the jailbreak gaf?

noquarter

I was looking for the Stupid Questions thread, but think this is better.

I was looking into unlocking my iPhone 4 to give to my wife and was wondering if you, GAF, had any suggestions tips or anything I should look out for? I have AT&T and Apple says they will unlock it, is this the best option? Anybody done this before? Any help I could get would be appreciated. Thanks.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
so i was thinking about jailbreaking my 6.1 but quickly reading some posts in this thread suggest that would not be wise... are the problems really that tied to the jailbreak gaf?

I haven't installed any radical tweaks and I've never had a crash. It's a solid as a stock iPhone but I love it even more, because I can set what browser I want, nitrous engine for Chrome, double click on sleep button to turn on LED flashlight, etc.

ant1532

Banned
I have a couple of crashes here and there but nothing that would stop me from jailbreaking again.

I haven't installed any radical tweaks and I've never had a crash. It's a solid as a stock iPhone but I love it even more, because I can set what browser I want, nitrous engine for Chrome, double click on sleep button to turn on LED flashlight, etc.
well nevermind then haha. what did you do to get the double click led flash? also i haven't jailbroken since the 3rd gen iphone.

If you don't go overboard then you shouldn't have any problems. I'd upgrade to 6.1.2 first though. I'm using the following tweaks and its been running as stable as a normal iPhone:

Five icon dock (allows 5 icons on the dock)

Switchy (app switcher replacement that looks like the stock app switcher but has 2 rows of icons and has additional functionality like a clear all button)

Zephyr (allows swiping gestures for different things like swipe up from bottom of the phone to open app switcher)

Ncsettings (toggles in notification center)

Cyntact (adds thumbnail pictures to contacts app)

Foldercloser (automatically closes a folder if you open an app from it)

Infinifolders (removes the app limit in folders)

3G unrestrictor (tricks apps into thinking your on wifi, i use it so the YouTube app will always play HQ videos)

Nitrous (uses the improved java engine(?) that safari uses in other apps for better performance)

Unlimtones (let's you create ringtones from songs already on your iPhone with no need to use iTunes)

Photoalbums+ (adds functionality to the stock photos app like having password protected albums, moving photos out of the camera roll to another album instead of just copying etc.)

Pandoraskips (gives you unlimited skips in pandora)

Nonewsisgoodnews (gets rid of the newsstand icon)

Ironmask

Anybody knows if there's a good alternative for Lyricalizer?

I had it on my iphone 3gs with ios 4.2 but after the upgrade to ios 6 and relative JB it doesn't work anymore. Also the repository now states that it's Ipad and ios 5 only.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
well nevermind then haha. what did you do to get the double click led flash? also i haven't jailbroken since the 3rd gen iphone.

It's called "SpringFlash". :)

I say go for it... I last jailbroke on the 3G and didn't for a long time, but since getting my 4S I would never be without it!

Shaneus

If you don't go overboard then you shouldn't have any problems. I'd upgrade to 6.1.2 first though. I'm using the following tweaks and its been running as stable as a normal iPhone:

Five icon dock (allows 5 icons on the dock)

Switchy (app switcher replacement that looks like the stock app switcher but has 2 rows of icons and has additional functionality like a clear all button)

Zephyr (allows swiping gestures for different things like swipe up from bottom of the phone to open app switcher)

Ncsettings (toggles in notification center)

Cyntact (adds thumbnail pictures to contacts app)

Foldercloser (automatically closes a folder if you open an app from it)

Infinifolders (removes the app limit in folders)

3G unrestrictor (tricks apps into thinking your on wifi, i use it so the YouTube app will always play HQ videos)

Nitrous (uses the improved java engine(?) that safari uses in other apps for better performance)

Unlimtones (let's you create ringtones from songs already on your iPhone with no need to use iTunes)

Photoalbums+ (adds functionality to the stock photos app like having password protected albums, moving photos out of the camera roll to another album instead of just copying etc.)

Pandoraskips (gives you unlimited skips in pandora)

Nonewsisgoodnews (gets rid of the newsstand icon)
Are you on 6.1.2? What phone do you have?

Shaneus

iPhone 5 on iOS 6.1.2
Ah, sweet. Just trying to work out whether I need to upgrade to 6.1.2. I probably should, because there's a fair chance it'll be the last one before they fix whatever exploit Avoisi0n uses. Unless there are more bugs Apple fixes.

Do you know if the battery life is fixed with it regardless of if you use Exchange mail servers or not? Does anyone know?

Ashhong

It's called "SpringFlash". :)

I say go for it... I last jailbroke on the 3G and didn't for a long time, but since getting my 4S I would never be without it!

after hearing people complain about broken sleep buttons I didn't want to risk that. Made mine to activate when I press both volume buttons, works really well

Agent_J

has anybody noticed any flickering screen issues with their jailbroken iPhone 5? it only occurs after i fold to unlock my screen.

also, for some reason multitasking has been affected. no longer can i switch between facebook, instagram, safari, and notes (for example) and have the phone save every screen and my place in each app.

now after the jailbreak, each time i switch between apps, my phone has to load the content again, thus making me lose my place in the app.

i only have the following installed:
applist
bigboss icon set
blurriedNCbackground
cydia installer
cydia translations
evasi0n 6.0-6.1 untether
liveclock
mobile substrate
NCsettings
nonewsisgoodnews
no new notifications
poof
status google for NC
substrate safe mode
unfold
winterboard
zeppelin

is there anybody with similar issues?

Shaneus

Damnit, now 6.1.3 is around the corner (beta released yesterday). As it's only a fix for the lockscreen security bug (like I give a shit) and has some fixes for Apple's Japanese Maps app, I might just stick with 6.1.2 for a while. Hopefully the battery usage is fixed, despite not using anything Exchange-y.

Shaneus

Well, I think I've fixed my battery problems... and I think it's Auxo :(

Further testing to be done, but battery life (with very limited testing) seems to be a lot more stable.

Crap. I love that tweak :(

Pachimari

I fixed my problem of no Airplay button. To anyone else, go to Settings > General > International and change your language. Then change it back to your default language and the Airplay button will have been installed.

iLLmAtlc

hey have any of you guys went from 5.01 to evasi0n 6.01 while preserving baseband?

I'm trying to jailbreak my mom's 3GS and she only has the 5.01 and 6.01 shsh blobs. For some reason when I go from 5.01 to 6.01 with iFaith/sn0wbreeze the phone only boots into "Soft DFU Mode". In order to boot normal I have to use the redsn0w "Just Boot" tool, then when I power it off it's back to Soft DFU.

E: nvm just noticed sn0wbreeze updated today to support 6.1.2 so ill try again.

ant1532

Banned
quick question. i have my phone connected to my mac so im able to drag files and the such but where do i place ipa files and how do i install them on the phone?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
quick question. i have my phone connected to my mac so im able to drag files and the such but where do i place ipa files and how do i install them on the phone?
They install automatically when you purchase them from the App Store. You won't have to worry about it. Unless you're asking us how to put pirated apps on your iPhone?

Shaneus

Update to the evasi0n package in Cydia this morning, with this update:
"Version 0.4-1 helps fix booting problems that were happening on some reboots"

So, stability fix? Booting problems = dimmer issues? Who knows?

Is it safe to update ios officially if I am jailbroken? I don't really care to keep the jailbreak, just didn't know if it was safe to update, or if I have to remove the jailbreak or something first.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Are there any tweaks that let you change the brightness by swiping left and right across the status bar? Like the status bar itself is a brightness slider. There should be!

Fake edit after google search: there is! Swipebright. Anyone used it?

Top Bottom