• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Shaneus

Interesting news item on UnthreadedJB:
UnthreadedJB always appeared to be fake, given their broken English tweets, but the team did deliver a working untethered jailbreak, albeit for an older iOS versions that reused known exploits. Here’s what evad3rs member planetbeing had to say about unthredera1n:

a) some real work is done, at least porting the patches and reimplementing the exploit in non-ROP [Return-oriented programming] form and b) these people secretly CAN spell. Quite an interesting community troll it looks like.

According to saurik, it’s a reimplementation in non-ROP form of the rocky racoon pf thing. An excellent choice since it can be exploited trivially in a few lines of code pre-iOS 5 if you don’t have to use ROP. Use of the amfid trick negates having to use ROP.

Also apparently there is a HIDDEN readme file wherein proper spelling, grammar and punctuation is used that credits us. We’re seriously being trolled hard. :p

I wish they used and/or updated my ios-patchfinder project so that it’d work on more than iPhone 4 CDMA though.
And the example of the hilariously bad-english tweet:
XoERVc0.png

Personally, I'm confident in getting a 6.1.3/4 j/b before iOS7 hits. I reckon they've found an exploit that doesn't exist in the 7 betas which is why they're likely to release it.

besiktas1

My iPad is on 5.1.1 I want to update to 6.whatever but keep my jailbreak.

I've downloaded the firmware but because iTunes doesn't confirm it (I used tiny umbrella too, no luck).

Any help?

Shaneus

My iPad is on 5.1.1 I want to update to 6.whatever but keep my jailbreak.

I've downloaded the firmware but because iTunes doesn't confirm it (I used tiny umbrella too, no luck).

Any help?
You're S.O.L. Apple won't sign (as in, let you restore) anything below the current version and 6.1.2 is the last version available with a jailbreak.

And the example of the hilariously bad-english tweet:
XoERVc0.png

Personally, I'm confident in getting a 6.1.3/4 j/b before iOS7 hits. I reckon they've found an exploit that doesn't exist in the 7 betas which is why they're likely to release it.

Oh yeah that's really quite interesting :eek: Their bad spelling never put me off so I'm still hopeful of being able to get my iPhone 5 soon, thanks for posting this :)

Arren

Sorry to bring up such an old topic, I figured I'd better ask for some direct advice here concerning the update of my jailbroken iPad 2.

I'm currently sitting on a jb iOS 5.0.1 and I'd love to update my system to a jailbroken iOS 6.1.3. What's the safest and most efficient way to achieve this result, while at the same time keeping my Cydia apps as well as their related files and configurations? It would be great to have a reliable step-to-step guide as a practical reference.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Shaneus

Sorry to bring up such an old topic, I figured I'd better ask for some direct advice here concerning the update of my jailbroken iPad 2.

I'm currently sitting on a jb iOS 5.0.1 and I'd love to update my system to a jailbroken iOS 6.1.3. What's the safest and most efficient way to achieve this result, while at the same time keeping my Cydia apps as well as their related files and configurations? It would be great to have a reliable step-to-step guide as a practical reference.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Not happening. There's currently no jailbreak for 6.1.3 and you can only ever update your iOS device to the latest version (can't upgrade to 6.1.2 for example, which *does* have a jailbreak available) as iTunes checks-in when you upgrade software.

Arren

Yeah, I've discovered this problem while I was trying to gather further information about a viable update method.

You see, the reason I'm striving for an update stems from my desire to play around with the emulator Retroarch. There appears to be an issue concerning 5.0.1 firmwares that were jailbroken through absinthe 0.4, which makes any attempt at running its PS1 core completely ineffective. Also, I've been experiencing several nuisances with other things.

That said, I've looked into the possibility of upgrading my device to 5.1.1 instead, by following the 'blob stitching' procedure through redsn0w. Cydia indicates I have all the correct data pieces for both 5.0.1 and 5.1.1, with valid APtickets.

So, let me change the question around: do any of you happen to know some trustworthy guide I can follow in trying out this specific alternative? And, provided I do decide to attempt it, how can I effectively backup my data (in regards to both official and Cydia apps)?

Thanks in advance.

Oynox

One question:

I am planning to buy an iPhone 4S. Now I found one on ebay, but with one restriction. It is a Verizon iPhone and I am living in Germany. However, it is quite cheap in comparison to other 4Ss. Will I be able to unlock it? I already googled it and found no definite answer. It should work in Germany, because it is able to access the GSM standard and has a sim card slot.

dark_chris

I got my mom an iPhone 3G. Its slow as shit... Id like to restore it but also need it to be unlocked... =/ Should I restore it then jailbreak and unlock it?

While not technically a jailbreak, There is now a way to get Plex on your ATV3. Not sure if this really belongs here or in another thread, Figured some of you might have a use for it!

It's called plex connect and it essentially acts as an in between for your ATV3 and Plex server by tricking the trailer app.

It's not going to be the most pretty thing you have ever seen, But it certainly works. I streamed some 1080p content to my ATV3 and it was just about flawless. A few audio glitches but they were hardly noticable.

http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/06/04/introducing-plexconnect-an-appletv-client-which-thinks-different/
I just discovered this today and it works great so far. Now the AppleTV isn't as useless to me.

Shaneus

So this is unusual:
DhPAxci.png

I think someone speculated that it was a UDID, but I'm not sure whether those can be looked up or what. Very reminiscent of when geohot posted the code thingy for the PS3.

These were from earlier today:
2Dqs9mj.png

5VM7Afp.png

And this was *just now* (if anyone can explain, kthx):
XQKGntX.png

Edit: I did a Google search for "decstr" (accounting for their misspellings) + iOS and found this page:
Code:
//  Now decrypt:
NSString *decStr;
decStr = [crypt DecryptStringENC: @"b7d0QF97DRKz6UCkfrVg2Q=="];

NSString *enc = [crypt EncryptStringENC:@"12345"];
NSLog(@"Decrypt: %@",decStr);
NSLog(@"%@", crypt.LastErrorText);
NSLog(@"DECRYPT: %@", [crypt DecryptStringENC:enc]);
[crypt release];
return decStr;
I can't read code for shit, but if decStr is a value used by Apple and not one created by the guy who wrote that bit of code I linked to, it might mean Unthreaded has found a way to find that key out. Possibly via a *hardware* exploit that even works on A5 devices?

Edit: What's even more interesting is that they say they have something that works on the 4S, 5 and iPads 1-3, but not the iPad 4. The iPad 4 is the only one that doesn't have an Apple Ax chip (it has something called the "Apple Swift"). The others all have some variation... IIRC iPad 3 is the A5X, iPhone 5 is A6, 4S is A5 etc.

This could be BIG news. Would mean they can go and release an exploit regardless of iOS versions and updates as they could still do them at the hardware level. I suppose the next step is to see a jailbroken 5 or iPad 3 running iOS 7.

Shaneus

It sounds kinda likely:
CDY0yen.png

I just realised then as well, that going by all their spelling mistakes and dyslexic typing style, "Unthreaded" is basically "untethered". Or close enough that it could be considered a typo in their weird language.

Shaneus

This seems like news (assuming it's true, of course):
iotRPkH.png

In particular, the "4S and later" bit. I wonder whether they'll release it before or after the official launch of iOS7/iPhone 5S? If the 5S uses an A-series chip and this turns out to be true, I'll definitely buy a 5S (note: the iPad 4 doesn't use an A-series chip and seems confirmed that this exploit doesn't work on it). Otherwise I might buy a 5 in a few months (or just stick with my 4S).

TUSR

Banned
This seems like news (assuming it's true, of course):
iotRPkH.png

In particular, the "4S and later" bit. I wonder whether they'll release it before or after the official launch of iOS7/iPhone 5S? If the 5S uses an A-series chip and this turns out to be true, I'll definitely buy a 5S (note: the iPad 4 doesn't use an A-series chip and seems confirmed that this exploit doesn't work on it). Otherwise I might buy a 5 in a few months (or just stick with my 4S).

The reason it's 4S and later is because they got ahold of the #botrom -> bootrom. Hardware exploit. If this is true it's an absolute megaton.

Shaneus

The reason it's 4S and later is because they got ahold of the #botrom -> bootrom. Hardware exploit. If this is true it's an absolute megaton.
Exactly, I mentioned that earlier (more or less) :) Would be an absolute megaton, and definitely too late in the 5S/iPad 5's respective build cycles to change anything about them if they do indeed (at least, the 5S) goes with an A7 or something.

God, I hope it does. That's probably what they're waiting for. Which I guess is a month or so off, knowing Apple? Or was it November? I can't remember when they do things now.

Shaneus

I don't know what the significance of this tweet is (it's a few days old now) but they mention "Swift" in it:
o8EkCrB.png

And this, a little older, mentioning iPhone 5 specifically:
gQ8riyD.png

So (again, if true) iPad 4 and I'd assume the A7/X for 5S/iPad 5 would have the same architecture. Love to know what (if anything) they managed to do to get all this happening. Maybe it involves some kind of hardware mod as well a la consoles?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Love to know what (if anything) they managed to do to get all this happening. Maybe it involves some kind of hardware mod as well a la consoles?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are these guys fairly legitimate? They certainly don't seem it from the tweets, using the "FAGIT" hashtag's not a good sign, but I have no prior knowledge of them and it could be some sort of CBOAT situation where the crazy spelling hides true wisdom.

Shaneus

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are these guys fairly legitimate? They certainly don't seem it from the tweets, using the "FAGIT" hashtag's not a good sign, but I have no prior knowledge of them and it could be some sort of CBOAT situation where the crazy spelling hides true wisdom.
Here’s what evad3rs member planetbeing had to say about unthredera1n:

a) some real work is done, at least porting the patches and reimplementing the exploit in non-ROP [Return-oriented programming] form and b) these people secretly CAN spell. Quite an interesting community troll it looks like.

According to saurik, it’s a reimplementation in non-ROP form of the rocky racoon pf thing. An excellent choice since it can be exploited trivially in a few lines of code pre-iOS 5 if you don’t have to use ROP. Use of the amfid trick negates having to use ROP.

Also apparently there is a HIDDEN readme file wherein proper spelling, grammar and punctuation is used that credits us. We’re seriously being trolled hard. :p

I wish they used and/or updated my ios-patchfinder project so that it’d work on more than iPhone 4 CDMA though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Any iOS6 jailbreak would be idiotic at this point with iOS7 a month out. It's not worth the risk and not worth giving up the exploit consider Apple can turn around a security fix in that time, you better believe.

I really hope they don't do it.

TUSR

Banned
Any iOS6 jailbreak would be idiotic at this point with iOS7 a month out. It's not worth the risk and not worth giving up the exploit consider Apple can turn around a security fix in that time, you better believe.

I really hope they don't do it.

yeah but if its a boot rom exploit it doesnt matter.

these dudes are serious trolls.

Shaneus

It's out. I think. Linux only, I guess? I'm not sure what devices/iOS versions it covers... or anything else, for that matter. Obviously, their Twitter feed (and that page) is super indecipherable.

Z..

I'm getting a bit annoyed with 5.1.1, since alot of apps don't even open anymore... what's the latest jailbroken firmware?
In other words - how far can I update my firmware so I can break it again?

What about backups? I'm thinking of using PKGBackup, what say ye?

iLLmAtlc

I'm getting a bit annoyed with 5.1.1, since alot of apps don't even open anymore... what's the latest jailbroken firmware?
In other words - how far can I update my firmware so I can break it again?

What about backups? I'm thinking of using PKGBackup, what say ye?

There aren't any untethered options for you, sorry. Do to apple using shsh blobs now you can only update to one ios version - 6.1.3, which does not have a confirmed untethered exploit. That's why it's always advisable to update to the latest jb ios version on iPhone 4 because then you can at least have that option, and if u don't like it you could always roll it back to ios 5.

Anyway, given how quiet all the major news sites seem to be, that unthreadedjb is probably fake?

Z..

There aren't any untethered options for you, sorry. Do to apple using shsh blobs now you can only update to one ios version - 6.1.3, which does not have a confirmed untethered exploit. That's why it's always advisable to update to the latest jb ios version on iPhone 4 because then you can at least have that option, and if u don't like it you could always roll it back to ios 5.

Anyway, given how quiet all the major news sites seem to be, that unthreadedjb is probably fake?

So I'll just have to wait until someone JBs 6.1.3, is that it? Fine, I can wait. ^^

Shaneus

Well, I'm not sure what the j/b on their website even does... whether it's their 5.1.1 j/b or if it's new. I can't find any commentary/evidence anywhere that tells me exactly what it's for.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask:

I have an iPad 3 (in Canada ) jailbroken on iOS 5.11.

Is there a way to get American Netflix on it? (an App in Cydia or any other method ) like say I do with applications like HotSpot shield on my laptop etc.

Would appreciate the help, thanks.

moist

It's out. I think. Linux only, I guess? I'm not sure what devices/iOS versions it covers... or anything else, for that matter. Obviously, their Twitter feed (and that page) is super indecipherable.

.... Dolan is apparently writing for them?

Fantastic that I dual boot right now specifically so I have windows to deal with my iphone(and play Civ V) and this comes out but apparently for Linux?

MilkLizard

Not sure if this is the best place to ask:

I have an iPad 3 (in Canada ) jailbroken on iOS 5.11.

Is there a way to get American Netflix on it? (an App in Cydia or any other method ) like say I do with applications like HotSpot shield on my laptop etc.

Would appreciate the help, thanks.

I don't know about any Cydia Apps for that, but unblock.us is very good, and you can switch between all the netflix regions. It's 4.99 per month. Totally worth your money though.

Shaneus

.... Dolan is apparently writing for them?

Fantastic that I dual boot right now specifically so I have windows to deal with my iphone(and play Civ V) and this comes out but apparently for Linux?
I *think* it might've been their iOS5.0.1 j/b for iPhone 4 and earlier devices. I think we would've heard more on it if it were for 6.1.3/4/ios7.

I don't know about any Cydia Apps for that, but unblock.us is very good, and you can switch between all the netflix regions. It's 4.99 per month. Totally worth your money though.

Sweet! can I use this on the ipad? is there an app for it? like how would I watch Netflix on the iPad wit this site? via browser?

Sorry if questions are dumb, I'm at work don't have my iPad with me nor can I visit unblock.us (it's blocked ironically)

How does the payment method work? can I prepay just for two months and not worry about credit card being charged?

MilkLizard

Sweet! can I use this on the ipad? is there an app for it? like how would I watch Netflix on the iPad wit this site? via browser?

Sorry if questions are dumb, I'm at work don't have my iPad with me nor can I visit unblock.us (it's blocked ironically)

How does the payment method work? can I prepay just for two months and not worry about credit card being charged?

No such thing as dumb questions;)

You have to change the DNS in your Wi-Fi settings to the ones they give you on their homepage and you are good to go. To change the region you go to their site with your browser. You can use the Netflix app normally afterwards.

They explain in detail here

Unfortunately it seems like they have no subscription payment model at the moment. I just pay month per month with paypal.

Shaneus

You might not like their method for communicating, but damn you've gotta love their sense of humour at times:
0d8AtG9.png

And I suspect they've actually released the tool, going by these:
3rRSYaw.png

dv2W7Wh.png

gBvfj3B.png

But it's only for older devices:
BocrQ1j.png

From what I can tell, on their official page they have downloads for several platforms (not Windows) but if you have Windows you can use the ISO at the bottom of the page? I think.

Top Bottom