• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

timnich

Wow...Just bought Wi-fi Sync, and I have to say, it's pretty amazing. A bit slower than using a usb cable but thats inevitable and perfectly acceptable.

Also, I found what I was looking for in terms of the clear lockscreen, thanks to enzom21, by using a combination of SimplScreen and "Lockscreen Clock Hide" from Cydia. Here is the finished look in case anyone was interested:
20qeskm.png

Erebus

rc213 said:
It was on 4.0.1/05.13.04 before I used a pwnage tool created custom 4.2.1 that preserves baseband. Then jailbreak with redsn0w and install 1.2 like normal.

This is a old bootrom (IBOOT-359.3) iPhone 3GS so it's was possible to go untethered.
I'm on 3.1.2/05.11.07, how do I get safely to 4.2.1 without losing the ability to unlock my phone?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Any cool alternatives to LockInfo yet? All the themes and stuff I have for it still kind of get in the way of the wallpaper. I want a good notification system, and a way to show off my awesome wallpaper but there is no middleground :(

jts

...hate me...
enzo_gt said:
Any cool alternatives to LockInfo yet? All the themes and stuff I have for it still kind of get in the way of the wallpaper. I want a good notification system, and a way to show off my awesome wallpaper but there is no middleground :(
You can define some sort of action to show and hide lockinfo. Probably your best bet.

Enzom21

timnich said:
Wow...Just bought Wi-fi Sync, and I have to say, it's pretty amazing. A bit slower than using a usb cable but thats inevitable and perfectly acceptable.
Wifi Sync breaks firmware installation, so if need to update or restore you will need to uninstall it first.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Hi, I have a 3.1 jailbroken iPad, could anyone explain me how I should proceed to update it in 4.2 and keep the jailbreak? Many thanks!

Ashhong

hey guys, i was trying to reinstall an app on Cydia today (BiteSMS) when it stopped working. It said like "preparing package" or something and eventually my iPhone froze, which happens often.

problem is i cant get back into Cydia, it keeps crashing at "Loading Data". Help? How can I reinstall Cydia or somehow just fix this? I have access to SSH through WinSCP.

rc213

Ashhong said:
hey guys, i was trying to reinstall an app on Cydia today (BiteSMS) when it stopped working. It said like "preparing package" or something and eventually my iPhone froze, which happens often.

problem is i cant get back into Cydia, it keeps crashing at "Loading Data". Help? How can I reinstall Cydia or somehow just fix this? I have access to SSH through WinSCP.

I've had that problem with other apps, Usually a reboot/respring will cure it. Sometimes more than one is needed.

http://techchronicle.wordpress.com/2009/04/12/cydia-crashes-when-loading/

rc213

Ashhong said:
Did all of the above already before asking, not working still :(

edit: correction...it works now! i seriously need to restore this iphone. is there anyway to backup my cydia apps so that I dont have to redownload them all?

Aptbackup (free) or pkgbackup (paid)

Ashhong

gracias. reinstalled bitesms and my phone doesnt seem to be crashing anymore. i would wake up in the morning and see that my phone has been on a respring loop all night, and it would just crash all the time. just terrible.

rc213

Good news for the people still waiting for a jailbreak/unlock.

@MuscleNerd

Got "backup plan" for untethered 4.2.1 JB working (video coming up). Uses mysterious 4.2b3 hashes Cydia kept for you

(It's a "backup plan" because comex is working on a more extensible one, but this method is also generalizable)

Exposes no new holes, He is uploading a video showing it off on iPod Touch 4G.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm enjoying ListLauncher and Graviboard. Great interface tweaks to use/play with. It'd be even better if Graviboard could be set to auto launch on springboard.

timnich said:

Also, I found what I was looking for in terms of the clear lockscreen, thanks to enzom21, by using a combination of SimplScreen and "Lockscreen Clock Hide" from Cydia. Here is the finished look in case anyone was interested:

IMG

That's nice. Is there a way to hide the status bar on the lockscreen too?

Pachimari

I often wake up and want to wake up my mac mini as well so I can play music or movies but don't want to get out of bed.

Is there an app for waking up my Mac?
It should be possible as KLEXi on the App Store does it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Very cool new tweak on Cydia.
It shows you an (official) app's download size in the update summary page on the App Store.
Requires 4.2+ though.

Gaaraz

I have 4.0.1 - but I *really* want my phone to be jailbroken and also have the latest version so I can run Gamecentre or whatever it's called.

Possible?! :(

red shoe paul said:
Uh yeah..

Update to 4.1 then run Limera1n.

Yeah, but if he waited this long, he might as well wait a few days. iOS 4.2 Untethered should be released any day now. That brings AirPlay and a few other cool features into the mix.

Gaaraz

Ah perfect, thanks guys - I'm not in a huge rush so I shall wait for 4.2 then, I'll keep an eye on this thread... hopefully it won't be too difficult to figure out :D

UtadaBarkley said:
Yeah, but if he waited this long, he might as well wait a few days. iOS 4.2 Untethered should be released any day now. That brings AirPlay and a few other cool features into the mix.

That too if it'll only be a few days.. :b

Pachimari

I have heard a lot of talk about MyWi and My3G (?), all kinds of tethering apps from Cydia. Now that I have had a 3G iPad (though without a SIM) for some time, I'm looking into one of these apps. But which one is the best for sharing the Internet from my iPhone 4 to the iPad?

And is there any way to get rid of the folder shadows while opening a folder? My folders are transparent, so a shadow can always be seen when opening. I'm thinking of a fix in Cydia directly?

drkOne

Anastacio said:
I have heard a lot of talk about MyWi and My3G (?), all kinds of tethering apps from Cydia. Now that I have had a 3G iPad (though without a SIM) for some time, I'm looking into one of these apps. But which one is the best for sharing the Internet from my iPhone 4 to the iPad?

And is there any way to get rid of the folder shadows while opening a folder? My folders are transparent, so a shadow can always be seen when opening. I'm thinking of a fix in Cydia directly?
I have an option in Winterboard called Remove iPad Icon Shadows (iBlanks). Not sure if you can get it without getting iBlanks, but at least I can confirm that it's possible to remove the shadows.

giga

So I was a dumbass and used TinyUmbrella with a custom ipsw from PwnageTool to restore. Now I can’t get out of dfu mode.

Used to be on 4.0.2 (with the unlockable baseband) but now I’m on 4.1 with the old baseband. No shsh blobs. iPhone 4.

Any ideas on how to get out of this? DFU mode just keeps looping if I try and hold power and home for 15 seconds.

rc213

giga said:
So I was a dumbass and used TinyUmbrella with a custom ipsw from PwnageTool to restore. Now I can’t get out of dfu mode.

Used to be on 4.0.2 (with the unlockable baseband) but now I’m on 4.1 with the old baseband. No shsh blobs. iPhone 4.

Any ideas on how to get out of this? DFU mode just keeps looping if I try and hold power and home for 15 seconds.

How did you flash 4.1 without shsh blobs? I don't think that is possible.

giga

rc213 said:
How did you flash 4.1 without shsh blobs? I don't think that is possible.
Made a custom 4.1 ipsw from Pwnage and then ran the TSS server while doing a custom restore in iTunes. Everything worked until it was finished and booted back into DFU.

rc213

giga said:
Made a custom 4.1 ipsw from Pwnage and then ran the TSS server while doing a custom restore in iTunes. Everything worked until it was finished and booted back into DFU.

What was custom about the firmware you used?

rc213

giga said:
Well it was from pwnage so I’d say no new baseband and cydia packaged?
***Tinyumbrella preserve baseband only works with iPhone 4 up to 4.1*** (Don't try it on a 3GS or 4.2.1)

If you had Cydia running on 4.0.2 you should be able to Shift+Restore back to that with the TSS Server. You couldn't have flashed to 4.1 without SHSH blobs.

Here is a guide to updating to 4.1 while preserving your baseband using the tinyumbrella TSS server. Provided you do have SHSH blobs for 4.1. Warning preserving the baseband with tinyumbrella doesn't work with anything beyond 4.1 as they added an additional check for the baseband.

http://xsellize.com/topic/81857-upgrade-iphone-4-to-ios-41-preserve-baseband-with-tinyumbrella/

6. Start TSS Server
(Make sure there is no error before proceeding)
7. Run iTunes

limera1n or greenpois0n can be used to jailbreak if you can get to 4.1 with your baseband preserved.

Pachimari

drkOne said:
I have an option in Winterboard called Remove iPad Icon Shadows (iBlanks). Not sure if you can get it without getting iBlanks, but at least I can confirm that it's possible to remove the shadows.
Sadly I can't find anything like it for the iPhone.
Any other suggestions guys?

jts

...hate me...
I'm kinda tired of waiting for untethered jailbreak for iOS 4.2 on the iPhone 4.

To a point where I don't mind up giving up the JB perks for a couple of weeks in order to try the new 4.2 stuff.

What do you guys reckon, is it too imprudent?

jts said:
I'm kinda tired of waiting for untethered jailbreak for iOS 4.2 on the iPhone 4.

To a point where I don't mind up giving up the JB quirks for a couple of weeks in order to try the new 4.2 stuff.

What do you guys reckon, it too imprudent?
It's probably not worth it. I find it's rarely worth upgrading for a couple of features.

jts said:

To a point where I don't mind up giving up the JB perks for a couple of weeks in order to try the new 4.2 stuff.

What do you guys reckon, is it too imprudent?

Bad idea. That's all I'm going to say. Too many things could go wrong, and it's simply not worth the risk. The jailbreak will likely be out in less than a week. None of the 4.2.1 features are worth that risk, imo.

Dazzla

I'm unable to get my iPad into DFU mode. I can't get it to just turn off for starters, it never gets past the apple logo so I can't simply power off.

Holding both the power and home turns it off but it instantly turns itself back on, I've attempted to get into DFU mode so I can boot it from redsn0w but it just isn't having it.

Any clues?

Dazzla said:
I'm unable to get my iPad into DFU mode. I can't get it to just turn off for starters, it never gets past the apple logo so I can't simply power off.

Holding both the power and home turns it off but it instantly turns itself back on, I've attempted to get into DFU mode so I can boot it from redsn0w but it just isn't having it.

Any clues?
If it keeps doing that then your only option is to restore the device via iTunes. Then, try the jailbreak process all over again.

LQX

Hope no one takes this the wrong way but is there any point to Jailbreaking a iPod Touch(I know the benefits of doing it for a phone) if you buy all your stuff?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hell yes, if for no other reason than to put into play the myriad interface tweaks and improvements available on Cydia.

Top Bottom