• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Dazzla

Freedom = $1.05 said:
If it keeps doing that then your only option is to restore the device via iTunes. Then, try the jailbreak process all over again.
Eventually managed to get it into DFU mode. Was a damn pain in the ass when it's continuously rebooting. Can't wait for the untethered jailbreak.

I don't want to jailbreak my iPad other than to use a few niceties from Cydia.
What's the quickest way to jailbreak it, untethered .
It's brand new, and I've already purchased near on £60 of apps thanks to these sales, and work requirements!

jts

...hate me...
DefectiveReject said:
I don't want to jailbreak my iPad other than to use a few niceties from Cydia.
What's the quickest way to jailbreak it, untethered .
It's brand new, and I've already purchased near on £60 of apps thanks to these sales, and work requirements!
If you have the latest software update, which you should, there isn't an untethered jailbreak for it, either quick or slow. Only tethered.

My brothers girlfriend brought her iphone 4 from the states to australia and wants to throw a prepaid sim into it here
what's the easiest jailbreak option for her? She doesn't want any extra stuff really, just calls/text/data which is on the prepaid sim plan
she hasn't updated in a while but I don't know what version she's rocking atm, what's the quickest way to check that and what will it affect in terms of options?

Just a bit in over my head with so many different jailbreak methods

besiktas1

My brother just bought an iphone 4g it wants me to help him connect to itunes to use phone.

I'm on the phone with him now, he has no pc skills. He wants jailbreak it, if he connects it to itunes will it block him from jailbreaking?

edit: omfg, this is probably for a different thread, but god damn, tech supporting for a family members is soo fucking frustrating. He's getting angry at me when I'm the one who can't see his screen, doing it off the top of my head and trying to tell him how to install itunes. God damn, he doesnt even know how to plug the phone into the usb and he's the one swearing at me :mad: ..... :lol

edit: just checked my call timer, it took him 22 minutes to rage quit :lol He shut the phone. Guess I should go round and help him out...
itunes was not installed

jts said:
If you have the latest software update, which you should, there isn't an untethered jailbreak for it, either quick or slow. Only tethered.

4.2 it has.
Not gone to 4.2.1 yet just incase.
Spent another bleeding £15 today on sale apps!

Dez

I personally haven't had issues with the tethered jailbreak for 4.2.1. The battery life on the iPad and iPhone 4 is great, so I never run into a situation where I need to do the tethered jailbreak. Respringing still works so I do that if I ever need to kill rogue apps en masse.

Dez said:
I personally haven't had issues with the tethered jailbreak for 4.2.1. The battery life on the iPad and iPhone 4 is great, so I never run into a situation where I need to do the tethered jailbreak. Respringing still works so I do that if I ever need to kill rogue apps en masse.

Only bad thing is if for some reason you get a flat tire, or any other crazy situation, and your phone dies or restarts. Doubtful, but it could happen, which would be annoying. :lol

hEist

so, after i update the iPhone 3G of my sister with the new update (4.2.1) and jailbreak + ultrasnow, something weird is going on.

The battery is dying like i never saw... the iphone is only 6h on and the battery is totally flat.
So, it happened after i upgrade it.. already restore it 3 times.. still the same.. so it's definitly hardware, or?

rc213

hEist said:
so, after i update the iPhone 3G of my sister with the new update (4.2.1) and jailbreak + ultrasnow, something weird is going on.

The battery is dying like i never saw... the iphone is only 6h on and the battery is totally flat.
So, it happened after i upgrade it.. already restore it 3 times.. still the same.. so it's definitly hardware, or?
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Update #6 (Subscriber Artificial Module)

I'm planning on buying a used iPhone 4 in the next few days, but I need it unlocked for T-mobile. Will the upcoming Shatter jailbreak any firmware/bootrom? If not, what firmware/bootrom should I be looking for?

drkOne

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Tethered isn't that bad, really...
Pretty much this.
It's a pain the first couple of forced reboots while installing some stuff in Cydia, but after that... How many times do you turn off the iDevice, really?

I've totally been out of the loop since 4.1 JB was released and haven't really mucked about with anything lately. I thought the last exploit was something such that Apple could only patch on a hardware level. I thought this meant that until that happened, the exploit could easily be modified to work on all future iOS releases.

Is there more to it than this? I haven't been paying attention but I thought 4.2 came out a while ago.

Sorry if this has been answered already. I've been skimming the thread periodically but could easily have missed a discussion.

rc213

foomfoom415 said:
I've totally been out of the loop since 4.1 JB was released and haven't really mucked about with anything lately. I thought the last exploit was something such that Apple could only patch on a hardware level. I thought this meant that until that happened, the exploit could easily be modified to work on all future iOS releases.

Is there more to it than this? I haven't been paying attention but I thought 4.2 came out a while ago.

Sorry if this has been answered already. I've been skimming the thread periodically but could easily have missed a discussion.

24K pwn is for devices up to the 3rd Gen iPod/iPhone 3GS are jailbreak for life. SHAtter is for 4th Gen iPod/iPhone 4 but being pwned for life only means they can't stop them from being jailbroken. Untethered is a different matter as is unlocks.

rc213 said:
24K pwn is for devices up to the 3rd Gen iPod/iPhone 3GS are jailbreak for life. SHAtter is for 4th Gen iPod/iPhone 4 but being pwned for life only means they can't stop them from being jailbroken. Untethered is a different matter as is unlocks.

I'm also on 4.1 on my iPhone 4 and I have also been totally out of the loop for like four months now, I would hate to have a tethered jailbreak.

So in a nutshell (in layman's/casual jailbreaker's terms) is it complicated and unsafe ( ie: not futureproof) to jailbreak 4.2 iOS or it's simple and safe to do so?

Again This is just Jailbreak (no unlocking required) I am really happy with my 4.1 JB along with Facetime on 3G which I use a lot with my girl and I cannot lose that (I'll go crazy!!!)
is there a good reason or any reason I shall keep up wih a 4.2 JB?

thanks in advance

aku:jiki

So I've got a question that's pretty dumb but I don't know what else to do than to ask... :lol

I was on 3.1.2 for, basically, ever and ever and I just recently upgraded and jailbroke a 4.0 install (not that recently, 4.1 wasn't fully JB'd when I did it) and now it feels like about half the time I use the phone, none of the apps shut down when I quit! I assume that's the new multitasking in iOS4 but, um, how do I quit an app properly nowadays without leaving it eating RAM? :lol

RedShift

aku:jiki said:
So I've got a question that's pretty dumb but I don't know what else to do than to ask... :lol

I was on 3.1.2 for, basically, ever and ever and I just recently upgraded and jailbroke a 4.0 install (not that recently, 4.1 wasn't fully JB'd when I did it) and now it feels like about half the time I use the phone, none of the apps shut down when I quit! I assume that's the new multitasking in iOS4 but, um, how do I quit an app properly nowadays without leaving it eating RAM? :lol

If the extra RAM is needed by another app the backgrounded app will be removed from memory. There is absolutely no need to close apps, it will have no effect on performance. But if you really want to you can bring up the recently used apps list by double pressing home, then hold down on the icon until it wiggles and press the delete symbol. Won't make any difference though.

Rengoku

khan said:
Sorry if already posted.

Is it possible to jailbreak iPhone 4 (on version 4.1) yet?

Redsn0w 0.97b3 is out which can do an untethered jailbreak for your iPhone 4 or iPad (4.2.1). Right now it seems they're trying to fix a couple bugs with the jailbreak, so I would wait abit.

rc213

Rengoku said:
Redsn0w 0.97b3 is out which can do an untethered jailbreak for your iPhone 4 or iPad (4.2.1). Right now it seems they're trying to fix a couple bugs with the jailbreak, so I would wait abit.
Pretty much this. If all you need is a untethered jailbreak on 4.2.1 then just sit tight a few days until the latest redsn0w is out of beta.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Probably a dumb question, but if I try to jailbreak my iPad are there any serious consequences; ie bricking, no access to App Store, lost data, etc?

Axion22

RedShift said:
There is absolutely no need to close apps, it will have no effect on performance.

For the most part this is true, but some apps get stuck sometimes and need to be closed to be fully restarted. But also, like you said, this isn't really a performance need, just overcoming individual app bugs.

mf.luder

rc213 said:
Pretty much this. If all you need is a untethered jailbreak on 4.2.1 then just sit tight a few days until the latest redsn0w is out of beta.

Can't be long now. I can't wait to get me some MiWi!

Axion22 said:
For the most part this is true, but some apps get stuck sometimes and need to be closed to be fully restarted. But also, like you said, this isn't really a performance need, just overcoming individual app bugs.
There's also the fact that some apps really chew up battery life while running in the background. Infinity Blade is an excellent example of this.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
There's also the fact that some apps really chew up battery life while running in the background. Infinity Blade is an excellent example of this.

Infinity Blade runs in the background? Maybe that's why my battery life seems shorter lately. It doesn't just suspend?

Husker86

Axion22 said:

I've actually ran into quite a few times where some apps must have bugged out, keeping them alive (keeping my phone awake time and standby time increasing at the same rate even when the phone is in standby). This kills battery, to the tune of 5-10% over just a couple of hours in standby. It happens to me at least once a week so I either need to remove all the apps from the task switcher bar (can't always tell exactly which app it is), or restart.

I hate giving reason to close apps out of the bar, but I promise you this is an issue and not an entirely uncommon one.

Axion22

Freedom = $1.05 said:

I have not noticed Infinity Blade backgrounding sucking up more battery than usual, but I guess I can't rule it out. I was actually thinking specifically of Infinity Blade before, because a couple of interruptions while playing have caused me to come back to a black screen that just plays music.

besiktas1

Sorry for bumping/bugabooing.

I am trying to jailbreak a 4.2.1 iphone 4. Any help please.

I did my bro's 4.1. Is it the same way?

edit: Whenever I try it gets stuck on the plug into itunes. (I'm using limera1n) then I have to hold down power and home to get the phone working again....

rc213

besiktas1 said:
Sorry for bumping/bugabooing.

I am trying to jailbreak a 4.2.1 iphone 4. Any help please.

I did my bro's 4.1. Is it the same way?

edit: Whenever I try it gets stuck on the plug into itunes. (I'm using limera1n) then I have to hold down power and home to get the phone working again....

limera1n only jailbreaks up to 4.1, Need to wait a few days to use redsn0w which currently in beta for 4.2.1.

Posted this in the iPhone thread a few days ago and didn't get a response, so I'll repost it here.

I've got two broken iPhones that I need to sell, but I want to clear the data from them, while keeping the jailbreak intact if I can.

The first phone is a 3G. The screen went out on me last night and it also has a broken silent switch, and sometimes after being in my pocket for a while it will tell me that there's no sim card in the phone (don't know if this is a hardware or software issue).

The second phone is a 3GS. This one's having worse problems. It was in my pocket and I bumped up against a table (not very hard). The phone was fine when I pulled it out of my pocket, but when I plugged it in at the end of the night, it wouldn't charge. It said it was plugged in and charging, but the percentage would never go up. So when I plug this phone into the computer iTunes won't recognize it because it's completely dead. I tried replacing the battery and restoring, but got an error each time. I was told it was a problem with the motherboard.

Any ideas on how to clear the data?

RedShift said:
There is absolutely no need to close apps, it will have no effect on performance.
Except that's only true in Apple fantasies. I get a recurring situation where too many apps stay alive and games will, indeed, perform worse. It's especially noticable in poorly optimized games like Super QuickHook, which can run kinda bad even on a daisy fresh iPhone with nothing running. If too much shit I just quit out of is running, I'll be getting more choppy framerate in SQH than normally. Which is bad because it's already pretty bad to begin with!

What prompted me posting the question was this glitch going crazy on me; I was testing out lite versions and freebies and after going through like 25 of them, Doodle God churned to a halt, froze for a good 5 minutes and then finally crashed out. When I checked SBSettings, everything I had been testing was still running, like 30 apps! Fuck that, I want this crap out of my phone.

Is there really no way (option, cydia app, plist edit, whatever) to disable this? I mean, can't I even like hold the button longer to quit or something like that? I don't even see what the benefit of this "feature" is supposed to be, all it's doing is making my phone worse... :/

numble

Except that's only true in Apple fantasies. I get a recurring situation where too many apps stay alive and games will, indeed, perform worse. It's especially noticable in poorly optimized games like Super QuickHook, which can run kinda bad even on a daisy fresh iPhone with nothing running. If too much shit I just quit out of is running, I'll be getting more choppy framerate in SQH than normally. Which is bad because it's already pretty bad to begin with!

What prompted me posting the question was this glitch going crazy on me; I was testing out lite versions and freebies and after going through like 25 of them, Doodle God churned to a halt, froze for a good 5 minutes and then finally crashed out. When I checked SBSettings, everything I had been testing was still running, like 30 apps! Fuck that, I want this crap out of my phone.

Is there really no way (option, cydia app, plist edit, whatever) to disable this? I mean, can't I even like hold the button longer to quit or something like that? I don't even see what the benefit of this "feature" is supposed to be, all it's doing is making my phone worse... :/
You have something on you've installed on jailbreak that is keeping everything running. There is no way there should be 30 apps constantly running. They can only run in the background if they are Apple apps like Mail, iPod and Safari, if they are running VOiP, streaming audio, or GPS, or only for an extra 10 minutes.

numble said:
You have something on you've installed on jailbreak that is keeping everything running. There is no way there should be 30 apps constantly running. They can only run in the background if they are Apple apps like Mail, iPod and Safari, if they are running VOiP, streaming audio, or GPS, or only for an extra 10 minutes.
I certainly wouldn't rule that out, but I'm not doing anything in Cydia that I haven't been doing on this phone for two years and this started happening with the switch to iOS4.0.

Only new Cydia app I've installed all year, I think, is Synchronicity. Oh yeah, and AppLinks which I don't even remember what it does now. The only other thing I can think of is maybe Insomnia has a problem with iOS4 and messes up the app closing?

I certainly wouldn't rule that out, but I'm not doing anything in Cydia that I haven't been doing on this phone for two years and this started happening with the switch to iOS4.0.

Only new Cydia app I've installed all year, I think, is Synchronicity. Oh yeah, and AppLinks which I don't even remember what it does now. The only other thing I can think of is maybe Insomnia has a problem with iOS4 and messes up the app closing?

Have you installed anything on cydia that will tweak the multitasking bar because it also functions as a recents list. On cydia you can get remove recents which will then only leave true multitasking apps on the bar.

edit: misread the issue, didnt realise you meant the list in sbsettings. Does that pull directly from the same info as the usual multitasking bar though?

A few Q's for knowledgeable folk:

Can I get a recommendation for nice replacement images for the BiteSMS icon?
Googled and didn't find much.

Any way to back up the state of a jb'd phone?
So that when the 4.2 hack finally drops I can easily recover all my tweaks/apps?

What does everyone use on LockInfo? I only have Missed Calls, Voicemail, and Mail.

Lastly, does anyone use a tweak to replace the default unlocking gesture? I've seen Android themes and thought their way of unlocking the phone was just as cool as the sideswipe + password. Show me what you use?

I've experienced some weird behavior since upgrading to the 4.1 JB....has anybody else seen something similar?

My task switching bar only takes up half of the screen. So when I double-tap the home key instead of the bar spanning the width of the device it stops halfway across. There is also some visual corruption and icons layered on top of each other.

It's not the end of the world as I regularly use the SBSettings toggle to kill processes, but it's annoying. Any thoughts?

Rengoku

You can add a "Remove All Background apps" button to your SBSettings menu. You can find it in Cydia. I just press that button once in awhile to clear out all background apps at once.

Sanic

How stable is the 4.1.2 jailbreak now? I just purchased an iPad and would like to get it up and running as soon as possible.

Rengoku said:
You can add a "Remove All Background apps" button to your SBSettings menu. You can find it in Cydia. I just press that button once in awhile to clear out all background apps at once.
Alternatively, you can use Backgrounder to disable it for all or some apps.

Sanic

darkpaladinmfc said:
It's in beta right now, best wait for the final release.
How long has it been in beta? Is it possible to take even a wild guess as to when the final release may be?

Top Bottom