• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

aku:jiki

MikeDub said:
edit: misread the issue, didnt realise you meant the list in sbsettings. Does that pull directly from the same info as the usual multitasking bar though?
No idea. How do I bring up the multitasking bar though? :lol

Operations said:
Alternatively, you can use Backgrounder to disable it for all or some apps.
Oooh, so Backgrounder has an option for disabling it? Awesome, thanks for the tip!

Rengoku said:
You can add a "Remove All Background apps" button to your SBSettings menu. You can find it in Cydia. I just press that button once in awhile to clear out all background apps at once.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out too.

While we're on the subject, is there a SBSettings button for disabling non-3G data traffic when in a non-wifi area? I have 3G off but I guess my pre-paid SIM still fetches data via GPRS or whatever (I don't know this kinda stuff if that's not obvious :lol) and all the little things, like games checking into OpenFeint and so on, is leaking money from the pre-paid for me. Don't want to go full airplane mode every time I'm off wifi... :/

having a hell of a time lately with my phone getting signal, iphone 4 in a case, fw 4.1, using att, but had to install ultrasnow after jailbreaking because it got no signal at all after that

now if i restart my phone i have to uninstall and reinstall ultrasnow a few times for it to even work

any suggestions?

aku:jiki said:
While we're on the subject, is there a SBSettings button for disabling non-3G data traffic when in a non-wifi area? I have 3G off but I guess my pre-paid SIM still fetches data via GPRS or whatever (I don't know this kinda stuff if that's not obvious :lol) and all the little things, like games checking into OpenFeint and so on, is leaking money from the pre-paid for me. Don't want to go full airplane mode every time I'm off wifi... :/
Yes, there is. Toggle is called "Data".

RS4-

What's the best/easiest way to delete all the personal data while maintaining the unlock & jailbreak?

Pictures and music, that stuff is easy, along with login info like GAF by deleting cookies. But what about the email that's tied to the itunes store and such? And anything else along those lines.

Blackhead

Redarse
besiktas1 said:
I don't know :(

Hhttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=25181453ow do I jailbreak a 4.2.1?
How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 4 Using RedSn0w (Mac) [4.2.1]
or
How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 4 Using RedSn0w (Windows) [4.2.1]

Also Beta: How to Untether Your iOS Jailbreak (Mac) [4.2.1]

The iClarified guides may sometimes link to out of date tools so make sure to cross check with the original source, usually http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ , before following the steps.

besiktas1

I'm using red snow 0.9.6b4, I get up until the part where the iphone 4 gets to the 'downloading jailbreak data' and red snow writes: uploading Ram Disk.

It's just stuck here....

What am I doing wrong? I've kept it in, it's been around 5 minutes and nothing both are stuck.

Charred Greyface said:
How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 4 Using RedSn0w (Mac) [4.2.1]
or
How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 4 Using RedSn0w (Windows) [4.2.1]

Also Beta: How to Untether Your iOS Jailbreak (Mac) [4.2.1]

The iClarified guides may sometimes link to out of date tools so make sure to cross check with the original source, usually http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ , before following the steps.

Yep I used the iClarified tut. It's just stuck... :(

Deadly

I just got an ancient 1st Gen iTouch with 2.2.1 . I'm reading some of the stuff in the OP and I'm pretty confused. jailbreakme.com says I have to update versions but it seems the OP has an older version. Is there a specific version I should be upgrading to or just the latest?

besiktas1 said:
I'm using red snow 0.9.6b4, I get up until the part where the iphone 4 gets to the 'downloading jailbreak data' and red snow writes: uploading Ram Disk.

It's just stuck here....

What am I doing wrong? I've kept it in, it's been around 5 minutes and nothing both are stuck.

Yep I used the iClarified tut. It's just stuck... :(

running windows 7? make sure you run red snow in compatibility mode. Windows XP Service Pack 3 usually works. should fix the problem. red snow has problems running on windows 7.

Alright dudes, question.

Looks as if I'm gonna have to get a brand new iPhone 4 – my current one has a stuck lock button, and there seems to be no fix to it. Trouble is, I have this current one jailbroken, and I know I'll have to wipe it before I bring it in. So, uh...what happens to all my shit that I've downloaded on Cydia? I know about AppBackUp and the other similar program, which I've used before, but if I get a brand new phone, is my only option after I jailbreak it to just manually download EVERYTHING again?

Montresor

This is probably a stupid question, but let's say a new version of the jailbreak comes out. If I update my iPhone to 4.2 not through iTunes but through the jailbreak process will all the Cydia applications I've downloaded stay on my phone? I know that if I update through iTunes then everything gets wiped out.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but there are many sources/different links to an iPhone 4 firmware version that is compatible with jailbreakme.com. Does anyone have a reliable link? By the way, what does tethered mean in this context and how is it different to regular jailbreak?

Gaaraz

Really like the idea of Game Centre now but I'm still rocking just 4.0.1 - should I upgrade to 4.2 or wait for 4.2.1 to be untethered? Could be worth noting my iPhone is connected up via my Windows 7 PC, but do have a Macbook too if needed (but I'd rather avoid doing that if possible, even though it seems all new jailbreaks require OSX!?)

Some help, please:

iTunes (10.1) is not giving me an option to manually back up my phone when I control click my device. I only get "restore from backup," "sync," and "eject." This is bothersome, because the last recorded backup of my phone's data in iTunes is from 12/15. Wtf.

jts

...hate me...
DeathbyVolcano said:
Some help, please:

iTunes (10.1) is not giving me an option to manually back up my phone when I control click my device. I only get "restore from backup," "sync," and "eject." This is bothersome, because the last recorded backup of my phone's data in iTunes is from 12/15. Wtf.
Maybe you don't have enough free space on your computer?

Axion22 said:
Rename the folder the backup is in so it doesn't know there's one there.

It's not letting me access that folder outside of iTunes. There's no MobileSync folder in finder, yet iTunes finds one for some reason.

Axion22

DeathbyVolcano said:
It's not letting me access that folder outside of iTunes. There's no MobileSync folder in finder, yet iTunes finds one for some reason.

Crap, OSX. Well, I'm flying blind then, but see if you can implement this method somewhere else along the line - hide the backup from iTunes.

Dumb question but I gotta get it out of the way, you're looking here, right?
Code:
[B]On a Mac:[/B] ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Axion22

DeathbyVolcano said:
Yes. For some reason iTunes finds this folder, but when I go through that path in Finder, it's not there.

Sounds like it's hidden - do you have "show all files" in the Finder?

RS4-

Meus Renaissance said:
My friend is having trouble downgrading from 4.2.1. He's on a new laptop. We've tried editing the hosts file as well.

He had his shsh blobs saved on cydia? or on tinyumbrella for that matter?

RS4- said:
He had his shsh blobs saved on cydia? or on tinyumbrella for that matter?

No. This is his first time, and on a new machine. Is there no hope other than to wait for an untethered Jailbreak (whats the eta on that by the way)?

RS4-

Yeah, afaik he can't do anything without the blobs from older FW, so he'll have to sit tight and wait.

I'm pretty sure the phone I'm getting delivered will ship with 4.2.1 which, apparently has problems with the 3g network here with the providers in Toronto...so hopefully I can just walk into the Apple store, show them the threads discussed on the Apple forums and on my service provider and walk out with one that has 4.1

DeathbyVolcano said:
god DAMMIT. I just did the redsnow tethered jailbreak for my iPhone 4. If I just restore my phone to 4.2.1 to wipe the jailbreak off, can I do the Rubyra1n one?

Yeah, almost positive you'll be able to. The next Greenpois0n RC5 release will have untether 4.2.1 support also. Either should honestly be up any day now..

cjelly said:
How do I unlock a 3G running 4.2?

Knew I shouldn't have updated it. :(

You can't just yet, but soon!

RS4-

I need unlock for 4.2.1

Previous FWs had warnings about not being able to unlock right, and those eventually got figured out? I faintly recall some of the initial 3.x.x FWs not being able to unlock at the start. Unless 4.2.1 is somehow "impossible" to unlock which would make me sad.

mackaveli said:
I did the tethered jail break a week ago. How can I backup my phone so I don't have to redownload all my apps? Will my customizations to the lock screen remain as well?

thank you

Are you talking about Cydia apps? Simple, just follow the link here!

The lock screen won't be there after the backup immediately, you'll just need to turn it back on in Winterboard or however you enabled it the first time you downloaded it.

iTunes isn't letting me restore my phone to its factory settings now :-|

:-|

The tethered jailbreak is wayyyyy too much trouble, and I already fucked up the transition to this firmware anyway by way of Pkgbackup not working. Now when I just try and restore my phone so there's no jailbreak on it, itunes tells me the device isn't authorized for that firmware or something along those lines.

:-|

Gaaraz

blizeH said:
Really like the idea of Game Centre now but I'm still rocking just 4.0.1 - should I upgrade to 4.2 or wait for 4.2.1 to be untethered? Could be worth noting my iPhone is connected up via my Windows 7 PC, but do have a Macbook too if needed (but I'd rather avoid doing that if possible, even though it seems all new jailbreaks require OSX!?)
Bump! Sorry, but wait or not?! :(

border

I have an iPhone 3G that was on a baseband that was incompatible with the ultrasn0w unlock. Various web guides advised me to "upgrade" to baseband 06.15.00.

I ran redsn0w and told it to do the baseband hack. Everything goes well when running redsn0W 0.9.6 RC8.

After the new baseband is installed though, the phone hangs on reboot. Any suggestions?

aku:jiki

Man, this scene moves so ridiculously fast! Feels like I went up to and JB'd 4.0 like last week and now I feel like I have to do 4.2 and already I feel like I have to find all new apps for it.

What's the best Windows jailbreaker for 4.2 on a 3GS right now?

Hell, can someone name a blog I can follow so I can keep up on this stuff without having to ask here? :lol (Preferably one that's only about jailbreak stuff, already have too many general iPhone blogs in my RSS.)

Edit: Oh, random question... If I have unlocked my phone, I really don't want to accept carrier updates, right? Can I make the requests for that stop with a Cydia app maybe?

Top Bottom