• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

RS4-

Ugh, UPS finally dropped off my phone and I know I'm going to be in for a huge disappointment to turn it on and find out it's on 4.2.1 with a baseband I can't unlock yet :lol

Metroid

I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G with 4.2.1 but for some reason I can not set a background wallpaper even though it is activated in winterboard. Does anybody know why`?

RS4-

Your springboard wallpaper? Is it part of your theme? If it's on a sep theme, you have to rearrange it so it's on top.

ie:
Icons.theme
wallpaper.theme

Just move the wallpaper above or just put the background image inside the themes folder you're using.

It's been a while since I've done anything like that but that should be it.

My friend has a Japanese iPhone 4 with 4.2.1 firmware and modem firmware 3.10.01. Is there a sim-unlock solution for this yet or is he stuck waiting?

mf.luder

aku:jiki said:
Man, this scene moves so ridiculously fast! Feels like I went up to and JB'd 4.0 like last week and now I feel like I have to do 4.2 and already I feel like I have to find all new apps for it.

What's the best Windows jailbreaker for 4.2 on a 3GS right now?

Hell, can someone name a blog I can follow so I can keep up on this stuff without having to ask here? :lol (Preferably one that's only about jailbreak stuff, already have too many general iPhone blogs in my RSS.)

Edit: Oh, random question... If I have unlocked my phone, I really don't want to accept carrier updates, right? Can I make the requests for that stop with a Cydia app maybe?

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

The dev team's blog. Or follow @muscle nerd on twitter.

Pctx

Banned
It's almost mid January and no untethered jb. I'm amazed that the crackers are being this gd slow.

I'm on 4.0.1 and I'll have a new phone before I get a new jb.

Also, to the people that saying tethered is fine... Do you happen to use MiWi? That thing requires reboots at random and having to lug around a computer just to re-jailbreak is pointless.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pctx said:
It's almost mid January and no untethered jb. I'm amazed that the crackers are being this gd slow.

Also, to the people that saying tethered is fine... Do you happen to use MiWi? That thing requires reboots at random and having to lug around a computer just to re-jailbreak is pointless.
Eh, let the workers work. I just hope they're not waiting until 4.3 to drop before we get a universal untethered jailbreak. Waiting for 3.1.2 or I forget which was like 6 months of pain.

dream

enzo_gt said:
Eh, let the workers work. I just hope they're not waiting until 4.3 to drop before we get a universal untethered jailbreak. Waiting for 3.1.2 or I forget which was like 6 months of pain.

I hear ya but it's annoying when they've been like "ooo, look at all the exploits we have" for the past few months. The only time they release something is when their hand is forced.

Pctx said:

Yeah I would never tether my iPhone, i need that shit good to go 24/7.
On the other hand, my iPad is tethered and it's all sweet as it's a wifi-only model and it's always at home.

RS4-

red shoe paul said:
I go on vacation and still no public release for the untether 4.2.1? So stupid, hahah.
I didn't have much of a choice since mine came with 4.2.1, so I did the tether anyway. Haven't had any problems except for the first few times after installing a few things off Cydia.

Oh and Folder Enhancer doesn't work for me at least, just crashes into safe mode. I haven't had any problems with Activator (? comes with sbsettings) even though it warns you there might be issues on .2.1. And I'm glad it doesn't, sbsettings is quite useful.

aku:jiki

So if I'm on 05.13 baseband and all instructions talk about 05.14 and 05.15 (for upgrading to 06.15 for the unlock), all the same instructions still apply to me, right? I'm just one update behind is all?

Obvious question winner of the day, I know, but I want to be 100% sure when it comes to this thing... It's like the center of my life nowadays and I can't afford a new one. :lol

red shoe paul said:
I go on vacation and still no public release for the untether 4.2.1? So stupid, hahah.
Pctx said:

Wow. Real classy, guys. The service is free and it costs the people who do it A LOT of time and energy. Code the hacks yourself if the current service isn't good enough for you. It really is as simple as that.

(I agree that the drama is stupid but, hey, it's their thing. They're running the show and if they want drama, I guess we have to suffer through drama to get our jailbreaks.)

aku:jiki said:
Wow. Real classy, guys. The service is free and it costs the people who do it A LOT of time and energy. Code the hacks yourself if the current service isn't good enough for you. It really is as simple as that.

trust me, I know what it involves.

LegoDad

giga said:
MuscleNerd has said no unlock till 4.2.5 or 4.3, whichever comes last.

then 4.4, then 4.5, they always say this.. just release the update for us who don't need the unlock.. or better yet, let us upgrade without updating our baseband.

LegoDad

After playing around for months, I think this is my setup for awhile. Simple clean, and looks good.

Home Screen

iphone4h.png

Lock Screen without any messages (phone, sms, email, etc.)

iphone43.png

Lock screen with messages

photozu.png

now they will release the jailbreak to piss me off.

I posted about this a while back but I thought a picture might help. My task switcher is corrupted...it only takes up half of the screen and is pretty much unusable. Has anybody seen something similar to this?

In Winterboard I am using SimplScreen, Buuf2 iOS and No Docked Icon Labels.

IMG_3287.png

LegoDad

i would just uninstall, reinstall. Otherwise, it looks like a file might have been changed in the folder/system it was using.

Cruzader

Banned
Ok so I have my ipod touch 3gs JB and want to buy a cydia app called BTstack GPS. I got a little device called Copilot which is a BT gps device that can be used with said cydia app. Ok so now I was just curious how safe is it to buy from Cydia and let say I update to iOS 4.xx(now 4.1) in the future...will my serial key thing transfer over? Will I be always be able to DL said app in newer iOS updates? and can I redownload if I delete the app without limits?

Only thing holding me back. Really want to buy it to use my ipod as a GPS device.

Husker86

Cruzader said:
Ok so I have my ipod touch 3gs JB and want to buy a cydia app called BTstack GPS. I got a little device called Copilot which is a BT gps device that can be used with said cydia app. Ok so now I was just curious how safe is it to buy from Cydia and let say I update to iOS 4.xx(now 4.1) in the future...will my serial key thing transfer over? Will I be always be able to DL said app in newer iOS updates? and can I redownload if I delete the app without limits?

Only thing holding me back. Really want to buy it to use my ipod as a GPS device.
You make an account for Cydia purchases; I'd say you'll be safe.

Man do I want an untethered so I can get some wifi hot spot going. Just got unlimited data on ATT so now it would be useful to tether to my iPad.

evil ways

Not sure if this is considered off topic but the mail app on my 3GS is fucked up. Anytime it checks for new mail, it locks up, screen freezes and about a minute later it reboots.

I haven't installed anything on cydia for many months, and this just started happening randomly yesterday. Happens with both my gmail and hotmail accounts and already tried deleting both accounts and adding them again with no luck.

Anybody else had this problem?

Blackhead

Redarse
Marty Chinn said:
Crashes on my iPad 3.2 and my iPhone 4 4.0.
runs on mine but i haven't put any files on there yet. How is that supposed to work? If this can really play 1080p mkv files then it's time to get the AppleTV :)

Charred Greyface said:
runs on mine but i haven't put any files on there yet. How is that supposed to work? If this can really play 1080p mkv files then it's time to get the AppleTV :)

Supposedly it does play 1080p mkv on Apple TV. I'm thinking of buying one myself now. Cheap HTPC plus I can play Netflix through it.

The guy who ported XBMC to iOS said to do this:

apt-get install libcurl

But I'm not sure how that works through Cydia? Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

timnich

Marty Chinn said:
You need to add the XBMC source. Add:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/ios/

Thanks! Although it doesnt seem to be optimized for iPhones, at least GUI wise. Anyone know how to add videos to it?

On an unrelated note, anyone download iRetiner? It makes all your App Store apps have high rez icons, even ones that havent been updated in forever. It takes the icon artwork from itunes, which has always had higher rez icons. I've been waiting for a while now for something like this t come out.

Malleymal said:
what is XBMC?? sorry for asking and not just googling... I want to know why i should download it

It's one of the best media software out there that will pretty much play anything you throw at it and is highly customizable. Also has a ton of functionality.

rc213

Marty Chinn said:

apt-get install libcurl

But I'm not sure how that works through Cydia? Can anyone guide me in the right direction?
Over SSH or Terminal.

Dez

Marty Chinn said:

apt-get install libcurl

I just searched and installed Apt-Backup from cydia. That happens to instal the libcurl and then it works. The GUI is FUGLY and slow. But once you actually get it to play an x264 mkv, it works like a fucking charm.

Blackhead

Redarse
Marty Chinn said:
Supposedly it does play 1080p mkv on Apple TV. I'm thinking of buying one myself now. Cheap HTPC plus I can play Netflix through it.
It's playing 720p mkv s perfectly on my device. Now to try out the funky ones with subtitles and then make space for a 1080p file.

I've never used XMBC and find the UI odd. How do you scrub through a video or skip to a particular point? The rewind and fastforward buttons work and it only takes a few seconds to buffer after resuming playback

Charred Greyface said:
It's playing 720p mkv s perfectly on my device. Now to try out the funky ones with subtitles and then make space for a 1080p file.

I've never used XMBC and find the UI odd. How do you scrub through a video or skip to a particular point? The rewind and fastforward buttons work and it only takes a few seconds to buffer after resuming playback

I normally use a remote so I'm not sure how the interface works with a mouse. On a remote I just use the normal scrubbing or hit left or right on the dpad to jump in set incriments.

Fletcher

How hard is it to jailbreak/install xmbc on the new apple tv??
If it isn't too bad, I will go buy one right now. I have been circling a boxee box, but this is $100 cheaper.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
My big question before I run out and buy one to jailbreak and stick XBMC on is how do you actually get the media (say, from a huge external drive) to the Apple TV 2 (which does not support external drives)? Do I need to have a huge network all setup and will that mean media is just streamed to the device anyway? If so I'll probably just stick with my "output HDMI from laptop to TV" approach.

jts

...hate me...
This shit might make me pull the trigger to get an Apple TV before the release of its app store (and PLEX which is what I fucking want). Maybe I'll get it for father's day.

Blackhead

Redarse
lobdale said:
My big question before I run out and buy one to jailbreak and stick XBMC on is how do you actually get the media (say, from a huge external drive) to the Apple TV 2 (which does not support external drives)? Do I need to have a huge network all setup and will that mean media is just streamed to the device anyway? If so I'll probably just stick with my "output HDMI from laptop to TV" approach.
The AppleTV 2 has 8GB of internal storage. It also has a mini USB port that Apple says is just for 'getting updates' but I'm guessing that it might be possible to mount external harddrives through that port.

mf.luder said:
I am also interested in this Apple TV + XBMC. Will it blow Boxee out of the water?
For some reason I thought XBMC would handle full dvd rips (i.e Video_TS and Audio_TS folders). I tried one and it wasn't recognized as a dvd. An mkv with substitles caused XBMC to crash. It's nice to have it on my iPad but I'll keep my money and wait for the Boxee price drop.

Edit: Actually XBMC will play the individual .vob files hidden in the dvdmedia folder. No subtitles with that though.

Saren is Bad said:
Well fuck, the resolution doesn't change on Apple TV so I'm stuck at 480p. Halp

Edit: to clarify - on XBMC, whenever I try to change the resolution or mode from 'Windowed' it just pauses for a few seconds and then doesn't do shit.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Charred Greyface said:
For some reason I thought XBMC would handle full dvd rips (i.e Video_TS and Audio_TS folders). I tried one and it wasn't recognized as a dvd. An mkv with substitles caused XBMC to crash. It's nice to have it on my iPad but I'll keep my money and wait for the Boxee price drop.

Edit: Actually XBMC will play the individual .vob files hidden in the dvdmedia folder. No subtitles with that though.

If it's anything like the PC XBMC, just play the .vob which is the main menu, then operate the disc through that as normal. You can also compile a .iso with the files, and XMBC will recognize that exactly as a DVD disc image.

Blackhead

Redarse
The sound is weird sometimes, xbmc splits the sound in favor of one ear. On my laptop, using vlc, I don't see the same split.

lobdale said:
If it's anything like the PC XBMC, just play the .vob which is the main menu, then operate the disc through that as normal. You can also compile a .iso with the files, and XMBC will recognize that exactly as a DVD disc image.
Thanks, I'll try that.

hyp

evil ways said:
Not sure if this is considered off topic but the mail app on my 3GS is fucked up. Anytime it checks for new mail, it locks up, screen freezes and about a minute later it reboots.

I haven't installed anything on cydia for many months, and this just started happening randomly yesterday. Happens with both my gmail and hotmail accounts and already tried deleting both accounts and adding them again with no luck.

Anybody else had this problem?
are you using notified pro? if so, disable your mail notifications for now, they're still working on a bug fix.

Top Bottom