• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Zero Hero

I'm trying to JB 4.2.1 using RS 0.9.4b but it just gets stuck at the 3 bar of 'exploit with lime4ain'(or something). I've waited a half hour and it never moves past the 3rd bar. :/

I'm about to give up cause the restores take forever. Anyone have similar issues?

rc213

Zero Hero said:
I'm trying to JB 4.2.1 using RS 0.9.4b but it just gets stuck at the 3 bar of 'exploit with lime4ain'(or something). I've waited a half hour and it never moves past the 3rd bar. :/

I'm about to give up cause the restores take forever. Anyone have similar issues?
There is redsn0w 0.9.6 rc8. Also are you running it in admin mode?

I've been fiddling around a bit lately and this is my set-up at the moment:

NomMY.png

cjZmy.png

h1TOA.png

Plt7b.png

I also just got the "Serious" SBSettings theme which is quite nice.
Having a transparent status bar looks pretty good imo, but when you go into the Photos app it looks dreadful. :/

angelfly

roosters93 said:

Having a transparent status bar looks pretty good imo, but when you go into the Photos app it looks dreadful. :/
What theme are you using for the clock?

dream said:
"Don't use much." I like that. :lol

Haha thanks. It's pretty silly but I couldn't think of a better way to describe it or a name for such a varied group of apps.

angelfly said:
What theme are you using for the clock?

It's called SimplScreen and is available in Cydia. Although the 24hr version (which I'm using) isn't and you have to download it off macthemes and use SSH.

angelfly

roosters93 said:
It's called SimplScreen and is available in Cydia. Although the 24hr version (which I'm using) isn't and you have to download it off macthemes and use SSH.
Thanks. I grabbed the 24hr one with the weather indicator.

timnich

roosters93 said:

Hey I like your setup:) I also have SimplScreen on my iPhone 4, personally think the simpler the better. Just wondering, how did you get rid of the status bar? You're on an iPhone 4 as well, right? Thanks

timnich said:
Hey I like your setup:) I also have SimplScreen on my iPhone 4, personally think the simpler the better. Just wondering, how did you get rid of the status bar? You're on an iPhone 4 as well, right? Thanks
Actually I'm not but it would probably work for you anyway. It's a package from Cydia called "transparent statusbar for iOS 4".

Ill Saint

I'm trying to get my head around all this stuff, but it's quite confusing, and the OP seems outdated. I'm considering jailbreaking my iPod Touch 4G (4.2.1) but wouldn't have a clue where to start. Help?

I'm having big problems with SSH at the moment.
Using the same settings as I was before I now cannot connect (for about a day now) and WinSCP says that the "server unexpectedly closed network connection". Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Reinstalling OpenSSH makes it work but then it crashes again in about 30 seconds. :/

RS4-

roosters93 said:
I'm having big problems with SSH at the moment.
Using the same settings as I was before I now cannot connect (for about a day now) and WinSCP says that the "server unexpectedly closed network connection". Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Reinstalling OpenSSH makes it work but then it crashes again in about 30 seconds. :/
I have the same problem and it is so annoying. I never has this problem with my 3G, even when I had it on 4.1

But with my 4 on 4.2.1, the constant need to reinstall SSH is bad; if I had to restart instead of respring I don't think anyone would bother with SSH on tethered phones. If I can't ssh into my phone, sometimes the ssh icon in sbsettings actually disappears or doesn't work even if you can toggle it on and off.

Any alternatives? Diskaid doesn't need open ssh to run does it?

Edit - mine doesn't crash; I just think it happens after I ssh something like a theme then quit winscp or disconnect the USB.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm with an iPhone4 for a few days (helping setup a jailbreak and unlock) and couldn't resist when Engadget linked to a Windows7 tweak for iOS

Pha7tl.jpg

It's clearly still in beta and has a few bugs (and an annoying 'donate' nag popup—even after I donated) but it's very promising. I hadn't gotten around to a proper theme, just glaskart with a starry sky background and 3D homescreen, but I was inspired to borrow some other Metro UI design elements:

BfILWl.jpg

vZZ6rl.jpg

(the rounded corners is more webOS than Windows Phone 7)

By the way, I installed Elert because Notified Mail beta was still fucking up. Elert is ugly but nothing a little themeing can't fix, I'm just happy it works and is very useful:

p7hZfl.jpg

FWIW, here's a full list of what I've installed at the moment (not including the system utilities, the tweaks not working and the ones I have disabled):

3DBoard - $
3G Unrestrictor - $
Action Menu
Action Menu Plus Pack $
Activator
Airplane SBSettings Toggle
AppInfo
Apple Congruency
AppLinks
AppList
AppStore Update Size
AttachmentSaver - $
Auto3G - $
Auto3G SBSettings Toggle
BackBoard
Badges
BatteryDetective - $
biteSMS - (paid $ for no ads)
BluSelect - $
Browser Changer
BytaFont
Call InfoFields
CleanStatus
com.stm.poweralertertoggle
CyDelete
Cyntact - $
Data Usage SBSettings Add-on
Disable Voice Control
Display Recorder - $
DisplayOut - $
Elert - $
EnhancedTabs
Firewall iP - $
Five Icon Switcher
FolderEnhancer - $
FullPreview - $
FullScreen for Safari - $
Graviboard - $
GridTab for Safari - $
HapticPro - $
HapticPro SBSettings Toggle
iClassic - $
Icon Renamer
Iconoclasm - $
IconSupport
iFile - $
Inspell - $
Inspell SBSettings Toggle
iPod Widget
iWhiteboard - $ (now free)
Jooo Mod
Landscape Lock Rotation - $
LastApp
ListLauncher
LiveClock
Lockscreen Dim Delay Control
LSRotator - $
Mail Rules - $
MakeItMine
Mark Read - $
MarkThatMessage - $
MissedCallOpening
Mobile Kiosk - $
Move LockScreen to Unlock - $
MultiCleaner - $
Multifl0w - $
MultiIconMover
MusicBarExtended - $
MyWi 4.0 - $
Navigate From Maps - $
New Curses - 5.7-12
No Bookmarks
NoLockScreen
Notification GriP for Notified Pro
Notified Pro - $
NotifiedAddon
Notifier+ - $
OpenNotifier
PagePreview - $
PhotoAlbums+ - $
PhotoAlbums+ for iPhone/iPod - $
Polite Silencer
Popup Blocker - $
PowerAlerter - $
PrivaCy
Pull To Refresh for Mail
Push Mail SBSettings Toggle
Push Notifications Toggle
QuickScroll 2
ReadMore - $
Reset Safari for SBSettings
Rotation Inhibitor
RoundCorners
Safari Download Manager - $
Safari Tab Closer
SBAdBlockToggle
SBRotator for 4.x - $
SBSettings
SBSwitcher - $
ScrollingBoard - $
ScrollingBoard SBSettings Dock
SDM SBSettings - $
Sleep To Lock
SleepFX - $
Snappy - $
SnapTap - $
SpringFlash
Springflash SBSettings Toggle
SpringJumps
Status Bar Battery icon hider or remover
SwitcherPlus
Synchronicity - $
Tapp - $
Textie Logo for OpenNotifier
Theme it
UAFaker SBSettings Toggle
User Agent Faker
VideoLock - $
Voice ActionMenu Plugin
Volume Slider Widget
WeatherIcon
WebLeaps - $
WiCarrier
Wikipamon ActionMenu Plugin
WinterBoard
XBMC-iOS
YFiSelect4 - $
YourTube 2

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just said fuck it and used the untethered jb for my iPad. I barely restart the thing, anyway.

Bboy AJ said:
I just said fuck it and used the untethered jb for my iPad. I barely restart the thing, anyway.

Assuming you mean tethered, this is the way to go. Except for having to restart your iPad because you had a Cydia update or something, it really isn't a hassle at all.

LegoDad

Saren is Bad said:
Assuming you mean tethered, this is the way to go. Except for having to restart your iPad because you had a Cydia update or something, it really isn't a hassle at all.

This. Sometimes it restarts and that's when it becomes a pain in the ass if you aren't next to a computer.

Edit: Look like 2/10/11 might be the day, looks like they are waiting for the verizon iphone first...

Blackhead

Redarse
Was a solution found for connecting external harddrives to the AppleTV2?

caliblue15 said:
This. Sometimes it restarts and that's when it becomes a pain in the ass if you aren't next to a computer.

Edit: Look like 2/10/11 might be the day, looks like they are waiting for the verizon iphone first...
So any compelling reason to update an iPhone to 4.2 now? or just wait for when 4.3 hits?

LegoDad

Charred Greyface said:
Was a solution found for connecting external harddrives to the AppleTV2?

So any compelling reason to update an iPhone to 4.2 now? or just wait for when 4.3 hits?

there isn't a untethered jailbreak for 4.2, unless you own a mac.

I think they will wait, we will get 4.3, then they will release jailbreak and unlock.

Blackhead

Redarse
Which firmware does the new AppleTV ship with and is it possible to jailbreak it?

Did anyone who ordered their AppleTV when XBMC was released get it yet? What's the experience like after using it for a while?

So yeah unless you have some things that I don't even know what they mean, and had your phone previously jailbroken there still is not un tethered. So I don't know what that guy is talking about.

Unless someone can point me in the direction of how to un tether my iphone 4 without any confusing shit I'd be happy to thank them, since I cant find anything.

saunderez

Charred Greyface said:
Which firmware does the new AppleTV ship with and is it possible to jailbreak it?
4.2.1 is the actual version number though the devices report it as 4.1.1

It's possible to jailbreak but it's a tethered break at the moment.

Charred Greyface said:
Did anyone who ordered their AppleTV when XBMC was reeled get it yet? What's the experience like after using it for a while?
I bought one with the express purpose of running XBMC on it and running the latest unofficial build is fantastic. Very few problems now, makes a fantastic media player using only 6w of power.

Blackhead

Redarse
saunderez said:
4.2.1 is the actual version number though the devices report it as 4.1.1

It's possible to jailbreak but it's a tethered break at the moment.

I bought one with the express purpose of running XBMC on it and running the latest unofficial build is fantastic. Very few problems now, makes a fantastic media player using only 6w of power.
Thanks. Some more questions: do you feel limited by the 8GB internal storage and, if so, is there a way to use an external hard drive? Could you link me to the guide you used? Netflix still isn't allowing Boxee offer the service and I don't know how long that'll take, or if prices will ever drop. Might as well order the AppleTV now instead of waiting.

saunderez

Charred Greyface said:
do you feel limited by the 8GB internal storage
Not at all, I stream all my media from my PC and the 8GB of internal storage is more than enough for XBMC, addons, themes etc. It's safe to say I'll never have to worry about storage in my current configuration.

Charred Greyface said:
is there a way to use an external hard drive?
Not directly at the moment (and possibly it never will be) but it's easy enough to plug an external HDD into a PC and set up a SMB share to it. In the end if most of your media is going to be played off USB storage you're probably better off looking elsewhere, as it stands XBMC on the ATV2 is definitely streaming oriented.

Depending on if you have a Mac or PC determines how you're going to be doing the jailbreak.

Seas0npass is probably easiest for Mac

http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605

Windows you will need someone with a Mac to build you the .ipsw file (there are ways around this though). I recommend reading this thread on the XBMC Forums for details if you are going to take this route.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=91490

And once you're done follow this guide to get the latest unofficial version of XBMC installed on your freshly jailbroken ATV.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=92261

Blackhead

Redarse
saunderez said:
Not at all, I stream all my media from my PC and the 8GB of internal storage is more than enough for XBMC, addons, themes etc. It's safe to say I'll never have to worry about storage in my current configuration.

Not directly at the moment (and possibly it never will be) but it's easy enough to plug an external HDD into a PC and set up a SMB share to it. In the end if most of your media is going to be played off USB storage you're probably better off looking elsewhere, as it stands XBMC on the ATV2 is definitely streaming oriented.

Depending on if you have a Mac or PC determines how you're going to be doing the jailbreak.

Seas0npass is probably easiest for Mac

http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605

Windows you will need someone with a Mac to build you the .ipsw file (there are ways around this though). I recommend reading this thread on the XBMC Forums for details if you are going to take this route.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=91490

And once you're done follow this guide to get the latest unofficial version of XBMC installed on your freshly jailbroken ATV.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=92261
Yeah, my problem with streaming is that I'm not sure my wifi network is fast enough. I'll have to finally get a new router.

saunderez

Charred Greyface said:
Yeah, my problem with streaming is that I'm not sure my wifi network is fast enough. I'll have to finally get a new router.
I feel your pain. My wireless network has trouble streaming HD content and downloading at the same time. I'm looking into Ethernet over powerline adaptors to solve this problem

Husker86

giga said:
I have the same problem. I need to get a dual band 802.11n and g router.

For those looking for an untethered 4.2.1 jb, it should be coming soon: http://www.redmondpie.com/greenpois...ad-ipod-touch-2g-3g-4g.-wont-work-on-ios-4.3/

Finally! All this waiting nonsense makes no sense to me. If they're afraid of Apple patching an exploit in the next update then nothing would ever get released. I really don't get it.

I know it's free and I don't contribute shit, but still...it annoys me.

giga

Yeah looks like its gonna release on VZW iPhone day. Wonder if Chronic and Geohot are using the same exploit again. After those two go at it, redsn0w will probably incorporate it as well.

wi5n2

Blackhead

Redarse
Add these two to my list above:

MyWi on Demand - $
VoiceActivator - $

Jailbreaking might often be a pain, and the iOS scene is more money oriented than the others, but, goddam, are the tweaks available impressive or what? I'm almost reluctant to take my microsim card out the iPhone :|

dream said:
Anyone try greenpois0n yet?

I did. Didn't work. Then realized I'm only on 4.2, so I am trying to upgrade now.

Edit: I am on 4.2.1, didn't work. Stuck in a boot process, trying to kick it out with Pwnage Tool

I'd stay away from it now. All I get is greenpois0n initialized and then three error prompts.

(on current redsn0w 4.2.1 tethered JB, might have something to do with it)

Edit: tried again, same error. Sitting tight until I see a tutorial or clarification on it.

Top Bottom