• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Same for me, and I'm not currently on any jailbroken FW. Obviously not ready for proper release yet.

Ollie Pooch

dream said:
Shitty deal. Thanks for trying it. Hope you two didn't waste too much time on it.
Nah, took 2 mins. Just rebooted the phone and it's fine. Shame, I really want my BiteSMS back!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Love how we bitch that jailbreaks are taking too long to come out, and when they do come out, they end up being like 80% unusable. Been through those shenanigans before, I'm never going to beta test new jailbreaks ever again. Patience is piece of mind.

Ollie Pooch

Yeah, I definitely need to be more patient!

Still, I'm always amazed by how they do get the process so streamlined, once it's working. Pretty impressive.

giga

MuscleNerd said they’ll update PwnageTool with the 4.2.1 untether once they get the ok from Chronic. I’d wait for them if you want stability.

Husker86

giga said:
MuscleNerd said they’ll update PwnageTool with the 4.2.1 untether once they get the ok from Chronic. I’d wait for them if you want stability.
Does Pwnage tool always include unlock?

giga

Husker86 said:
But if I'm on a basement that hasn't been unlocked yet it has no immediate effect, just keeps me safe for later?
Pretty much. Ultrasn0w would need to be updated for basebands that aren’t 01.59.00.

RS4-

Hopefully I can...just run whatever app they decide to use for the untethered JB and not require me (or anyone else that already did the JB) to do it all over again and install all our cydia apps, etc.

mf.luder

Saren is Bad said:
I'd stay away from it now. All I get is greenpois0n initialized and then three error prompts.

(on current redsn0w 4.2.1 tethered JB, might have something to do with it)

Edit: tried again, same error. Sitting tight until I see a tutorial or clarification on it.

this is from p0sixninja's twitter 40 mins ago.

"Make sure you have a clean 4.2.1 install before running GP"

I have a clean install and had no success.

Ollie Pooch

Some others were saying to keep holding down the 'home' button when it enters DFU mode. Didn't work for me either :( I think until a new version comes out it's best avoided.

mf.luder

I normally wait for PwnageTool and this just offers me more evidence to wait. Although I cannot FUCKING wait to use VoiceActivator. I really hope Apple includes this, a Brightness slider and custom SMS tones.

Those are my 3 wishes.

RS4-

Nooo, needs a fresh iOS install. I'll just wait a few days until they fix some of the problems (if any) with GP

Ollie Pooch

Seems my impatience paid off - finally got it to work. I swapped USB ports, not sure if that had anything to do with it but after the first 'jailbreaking...' bar filled on greenpois0n, i kept holding the home button and it filled up a few more times, all this text started pouring down the iPhone's screen and now I'm jailbroken.

Downloading Cydia now, very slowly. But it's going.

Husker86

julls said:
Seems my impatience paid off - finally got it to work. I swapped USB ports, not sure if that had anything to do with it but after the first 'jailbreaking...' bar filled on greenpois0n, i kept holding the home button and it filled up a few more times, all this text started pouring down the iPhone's screen and now I'm jailbroken.

Was this on a clean install?

Ollie Pooch

Husker86 said:
Was this on a clean install?
Nope, I just backed up my current stuff with iTunes then ran greenpois0n.

Now i'm using redsn0w to install Cydia as the download kept timing out. If you get it to work, turn off the auto-lock feature before you start the Cydia download. If it locks the screen, your download has to be started again :(

sorry you guys are having so much trouble.

protip: always wait at least 24 hours and read all comments before jailbreak with a new method.

THERE ARE ALWAYS BUGS.

there has never been an exception.

those of you having trouble: I'd recommend reading through the modmyi.com forums on the subject.

julls said:
Nope, I just backed up my current stuff with iTunes then ran greenpois0n.

Now i'm using redsn0w to install Cydia as the download kept timing out. If you get it to work, turn off the auto-lock feature before you start the Cydia download. If it locks the screen, your download has to be started again :(

Craziest thing ever. Didn't work for me. Tried 5 or 6 times. Then I read this.

Switched USB ports on my iMac. Well if I wasn't surprised as shit when it worked.

Awesome. Hotspot here I come!

RS4-

Successfully got greenpois0n to work for me.

- Was already on redsn0w 4.2.1 (yeah they suggest installing a fresh 4.2.1, but I didn't)
- download GP rc5 v2
- run GP and followed the steps to get into DFU mode but at the last step I continued to hold the home button

After a few seconds, I got a white screen on the phone, let go of the home button, then let the jb continue and eventually boot up the phone.

I didn't have to run loader or redsn0w again to get Cydia since I already had it installed.

Did a reboot just to make sure I didn't have to do the whole tethering business again and was glad that things worked out.

Hopefully SSH works properly this time!

edit - well, my SSH still doesn't work perfectly. GPS still works, along with everything else.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
julls said:

Reason #34647 not to jailbreak within first week of release: Cydia install is slow as fuck, and sometimes doesn't even download or install correctly. Happened to me on a few occassions. Just ended up making me re-jailbreak all over again.

fakeedit: I see some of these issues still persist. Warning: cydia servers will be hammered straight for the next week. Try to download at odd times of day.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yes! Fucking finally.
Didn't realize that Saurik never updated Cydget to work with iOS4.
What the heck!?

Located a beta version that does support iOS4, though not all Cydget widgets work.
CyDialer, however, does!

So with a quick press of the Home button, I can now flip from my normal verbose LockInfo view to CyDialer for some fast home screen phone call making! Lovely.

mf.luder

Just JB'd on the RC2. No issues. VoiceActivator is amazing. It will open up in functionality after sbsettings is installed.

I hope an exploit is ready for 4.3 but am willing to wait.

mf.luder said:
Just JB'd on the RC2. No issues. VoiceActivator is amazing. It will open up in functionality after sbsettings is installed.

I hope an exploit is ready for 4.3 but am willing to wait.
so all the greenpoisi0n kinks are worked out?

no native apps or functions gimped? If so, I'll give it a go.

mf.luder

I can't speak to that, I just know I tried the first release and had no success. I tried this version while holding down the home button longer and I saw success.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Will I lose all my apps and saves when I jailbreak 4.2.1 when on 4.2.1 now? I'm pretty sure I remember that being the case when I jailbroke my ipod many firmwares ago.

Edit: Nope, turns out I remembered incorrectly.

Mejilan

Looks like I need to hunt for a mirror.
Greenpois0n.com is getting destroyed again.

Also time for a nice PkgBackup to Dropbox!
Good thing I started readying for this last night, having updated all of my legit apps and SHSH blobs last night.

I'll be using TinyUmbrella to maintain my original iP4 baseband.
Wish me luuuuuuuuck!

Edit - Curiously, the Windows version is at rc5-b2, but the Mac version is at RC5-b3.
*shrugs*

Edit 2 - Here's the tut I'll be using.
http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak...th-greenpois0n-rc5-and-unlock-with-ultrasn0w/

Hm, currently I'm on the tethered jailbreak of 4.2.1 but I just want to make this untethered and get it over with. Do I have to restore before I jailbreak again?

RS4-

DeathbyVolcano said:
Hm, currently I'm on the tethered jailbreak of 4.2.1 but I just want to make this untethered and get it over with. Do I have to restore before I jailbreak again?

I didn't...but it seems to be 50/50 with people you did not bother going for the fresh install.

Mejilan

They recommend to install greenpois0n over a fresh restore of 4.2.1, but I have heard, anecdotally, of folks installing over the tethered JBs.

Lol, Cydia's getting destroyed too. :D

Mejilan

Yep, much easier than my last backup-upgrade-JB-restore cycle.
Very happy.
iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1 with baseband 1.59.00.

I'm now restoring my legit data from iTunes.
Then I'll proceed to use Loader to reinstall Cydia and use PkgBackup to restore my third party apps and settings from Dropbox.

Then, I guess, finally set up a free MobileMe account for that Find My iPhone gimmick.

LegoDad

updated, and jailbroken. Did a new iphone install, with a list, that way I don't have crap included on the phone I don't need anymore, and I can't uninstall.

Top Bottom