• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

yea, I just hooked up a couple of iPhone 4's. very smooth.

oh, and I fucking hate that immature green skull shit. But oh well. At least it's jailbroken.

segasonic

jCXIk.png

:( :( :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
segasonic said:
http://i.imgur.com/jCXIk.png[IMG]

:( :( :([/QUOTE]
Do it again, keep trying. I remember I screwed it up plenty times, you'll eventually get the timings right. Will only take a few tries at max.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
segasonic said:
is this really about the timing?

I thought it would only let you click "jailbreak" when the iPhone has entered DFU?
No you can get it wrong and it will still give you the prompt. So yeah timing matters.

Also, jailbreak now, or wait for 4.3 release in a week and a half and subsequent jailbreak?

Shaneus

Quick question: Do I have to worry about preserving basebands etc. if I have an old bootrom 3GS? It's been ages since I've JB'd and have no idea what I need to look out for with the newest iOS versions :/

segasonic

enzo_gt said:
Do it again, keep trying. I remember I screwed it up plenty times, you'll eventually get the timings right. Will only take a few tries at max.
t0ZQI.png

:D :D :D

Needed to hold Home for much longer than 15 seconds. Hold until you can see tiny text on the display.

Shaneus said:
Quick question: Do I have to worry about preserving basebands etc. if I have an old bootrom 3GS? It's been ages since I've JB'd and have no idea what I need to look out for with the newest iOS versions :/

You only need to worry about preserving basebands if you want to unlock your phone. And since we're in Aus, our carriers can unlock them for us anyway. I swear they used to charge a fee but according to the Virgin and Optus websites they unlock them for free.

AVclub

Just FYI: I tried to jailbreak an ipod touch with the latest greenpoison when it was on 4.1 and it wouldn't work. So I updated the firmware to 4.2 and then it worked fine. However, the loader wasn't finding Cydia to install it. So I downloaded redsn0w and used that to put a cydia icon onto the device.

I've seen on a few forums that people were having trouble with Loader working. So that's how I got around it.

Blackhead

Redarse
Mejilan said:
Looks like I need to hunt for a mirror.
Greenpois0n.com is getting destroyed again.

Also time for a nice PkgBackup to Dropbox!
Good thing I started readying for this last night, having updated all of my legit apps and SHSH blobs last night.

I'll be using TinyUmbrella to maintain my original iP4 baseband.
Wish me luuuuuuuuck!

Edit - Curiously, the Windows version is at rc5-b2, but the Mac version is at RC5-b3.
*shrugs*

Edit 2 - Here's the tut I'll be using.
http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak...th-greenpois0n-rc5-and-unlock-with-ultrasn0w/
This should work for an iPhone 3GS right?

AVclub said:
Just FYI: I tried to jailbreak an ipod touch with the latest greenpoison when it was on 4.1 and it wouldn't work. So I updated the firmware to 4.2 and then it worked fine. However, the loader wasn't finding Cydia to install it. So I downloaded redsn0w and used that to put a cydia icon onto the device.

I've seen on a few forums that people were having trouble with Loader working. So that's how I got around it.

It works better if you use diskaid and get the fix from ty's iphone channel on youtube

Just JBed my iPad. Very smooth. Great to now be untethered and it was very cool being able to just jailbreak over the tethered redsnow jailbreak without restoring.

Mmmm it seems as if there are SOME big features for 4.3, like the wifi personal hotspot feature and the ability to cancel/delete applications while their downloading. That's all I can think of.

Updated. Bought that stupid jailbreak app backup thing and it's been hanging on one app downloading for about 10 minutes now. I demand a refund.

snack

butter_stick said:
Updated. Bought that stupid jailbreak app backup thing and it's been hanging on one app downloading for about 10 minutes now. I demand a refund.
Typical for new tool releases. Cydia is getting hammered! :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
butter_stick said:

It's not the app, it's Cydia.
Anytime a new JB hits the scene, Cydia falls to the upsurge in simultaneous access of its servers. Give it time.
I hit a few snags during my restoration of 98 (!) Cydia apps, and just wound up running PkgBackup multiple times until everything was back. It knows to skip apps previously successfully restored, and will resume where it left off.

Mejilan

Charred Greyface said:

What, the tutorial? PkgBackup?
I don't really know anything about 3GS devices.
Do you even need to block baseband updates for those?

rc213

Charred Greyface said:
NOO!

Only way to preserve the baseband on a 3GS is to use a custom firmware using Pwnage Tool. Tinyumbrella is only for iPhone 4.

Mejilan said:
It's not the app, it's Cydia.
Anytime a new JB hits the scene, Cydia falls to the upsurge in simultaneous access of its servers. Give it time.
I hit a few snags during my restoration of 98 (!) Cydia apps, and just wound up running PkgBackup multiple times until everything was back. It knows to skip apps previously successfully restored, and will resume where it left off.
Yeah, it's worked now. Refund request removed. It's actually a pretty slick app.

Mejilan

butter_stick said:
Yeah, it's worked now. Refund request removed. It's actually a pretty slick app.

It's the perfect complement to iTunes backing up of your standard apps and settings.
I love it.

I have a friend with a 3GS that I jailbroke and unlocked for him back on 4.0.1, will the ultrasn0w unlock still work if I update and jailbreak his phone again or do I need to wait for pwnage tool? Also is there usually a windows version of pwnage tool?

rc213

SuicideUZI said:
I have a friend with a 3GS that I jailbroke and unlocked for him back on 4.0.1, will the ultrasn0w unlock still work if I update and jailbreak his phone again or do I need to wait for pwnage tool? Also is there usually a windows version of pwnage tool?
Ultrasn0w is still for unlocking. But you will need to update to 4.2.1 with a custom firmware that preserves the baseband. Only way to make one is via Pwnage tool.

If you rely on the Unlock to get your service then you should never update to a stock firmware.

superfly

I'm on ios 4.01 unlocked with ultrasnow.

baseband: 05.13.04

What are my best options for a newer firmware that preserves the unlock?

rc213

superfly said:
I'm on ios 4.01 unlocked with ultrasnow.

baseband: 05.13.04

What are my best options for a newer firmware that preserves the unlock?
You need a custom 4.2.1 that preserves baseband made with pwnagetool.

Mejilan

PkgBackup.

Odd, I can't seem to get any clear/invisible folder theme to work since the 4.2.1 JB.
And now Cydia's force-crashing when I try to accesses the Changes section or manage my packages. Uh oh.

Blackhead

Redarse
rc213 said:
NOO!

Only way to preserve the baseband on a 3GS is to use a custom firmware using Pwnage Tool. Tinyumbrella is only for iPhone 4.
Thanks for the the heads up. I'll wait for the updated Pwnagetool. I dont want to use the iPad baseband method since thats irreversible.

Pachimari

I can't get Greenp0ison to work on my 4.2.1 iPad 3G+Wi-Fi.

It keeps saying "Please try again".

Should I just keep trying? =/

EDIT:
Do I have a wrong baseband?

segasonic said:
t0ZQI.png

:D :D :D

Needed to hold Home for much longer than 15 seconds. Hold until you can see tiny text on the display.

Greenpois0n just went through the full cycle, I saw the iPhone run through the command line stuff...but when my phone boots up it appears to be the same old JB'd firmware I was running before.

Any ideas?

mf.luder

Anastacio said:
I can't get Greenp0ison to work on my 4.2.1 iPad 3G+Wi-Fi.

It keeps saying "Please try again".

Should I just keep trying? =/

EDIT:
Do I have a wrong baseband?

Baseband won't matter when you are jailbreaking. Are you using windows or mac? Also what version of greenpoison are you using (rc, rc2)?

Try holding down the home button until you get a lot of text on the screen.

Also, ensure that you're in DFU mode.

Pachimari

mf.luder said:
Baseband won't matter when you are jailbreaking. Are you using windows or mac? Also what version of greenpoison are you using (rc, rc2)?

Try holding down the home button until you get a lot of text on the screen.

Also, ensure that you're in DFU mode.
I'm on Windows.
I downloaded the one from greenpoisons website and it's RC2 I see.
It enters DFU mode Windows says but Greenp0ison doesn't notice.

Midas

Ehum, how do I do this if my phone already is jailbroaken? Update to the latest iOS with iTunes and then JB again? What happens to all the JB stuff I have installed? Do I have to install it again?

LegoDad

Hmm, So I've updated to 4.2.1, preserved my stock iphone 4 baseband, but when I run ultrasnow, it knocks me off my service (searching) like it should, and finds my service in a minute or so, but I don't see the carrier menu in the general settings.

Do i not see this if I'm already on ATT? Do I have to be on a different carrier, or is something screwed up?

On my old iphone 3g, I could see the carriers when I unlocked, didn't know if it changed on Iphone 4 ( i don't need unlock, keep it for reselling options later.)

Top Bottom