• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

graywolf323

is it worth jailbreaking with 4.3 right around the corner?

just not sure what benefits there really are for a 4th gen iPod Touch

Flunkie

Banned
Guinea-pigging my iPod Touch 2G before doing anything to my phone because of the no-prepatched-activation thing and after jailbreak, I can't get Loader to show anything..

Edit: Nvm, got it.. iPod wifi connections manager is stupid.

segasonic

Anastacio said:
I can't get Greenp0ison to work on my 4.2.1 iPad 3G+Wi-Fi.

It keeps saying "Please try again".

Should I just keep trying? =/

EDIT:
Do I have a wrong baseband?
if you're on vista/7 you need to run gp as admin and in xp compatibility mode

After jailbreaking with this new update I get errors everytime I try to install something in Cydia. It has a problem accessing the sources.

Has anybody else had problems like this?

Blackhead

Redarse
PalaceBrother said:
After jailbreaking with this new update I get errors everytime I try to install something in Cydia. It has a problem accessing the sources.

Has anybody else had problems like this?
check file permissions.

Husker86

graywolf323 said:
is it worth jailbreaking with 4.3 right around the corner?

just not sure what benefits there really are for a 4th gen iPod Touch

It's not like it's a huge endeavor. If it's not worth a few minutes then I guess that's your call :p

Not sure about the main draws for jailbreaking an iPod Touch, I really just JB my iPhone for the tethering ability. But if you're into customization then it would be nice.

Blackhead

Redarse
Husker86 said:
It's not like it's a huge endeavor. If it's not worth a few minutes then I guess that's your call :p

Not sure about the main draws for jailbreaking an iPod Touch, I really just JB my iPhone for the tethering ability. But if you're into customization then it would be nice.
If you use the mail client how about 'Mark Read' so you can easily and quickly mark email messages as read or unread?

Raide

Had my first gen iPhone unlocked since launch. Think I made a mistake by getting it to update my iPhone. Doh! Should I download an earlier Firmware? What programs should I use, since I have not actually Jailbroken my phone in ages! It seems most of the OP stuff is for the 3G and v4 stuff.

Cheers!

Blackhead

Redarse
PalaceBrother said:
How do I do this?
Actually I misread your post. Errors at this time when trying to access sources probably means the repos are getting hammered from everybody trying to use Cydia after jailbreaking. Wait it out and try again later.

saunderez said:
I feel your pain. My wireless network has trouble streaming HD content and downloading at the same time. I'm looking into Ethernet over powerline adaptors to solve this problem
giga said:
I have the same problem. I need to get a dual band 802.11n and g router.

For those looking for an untethered 4.2.1 jb, it should be coming soon: http://www.redmondpie.com/greenpois...ad-ipod-touch-2g-3g-4g.-wont-work-on-ios-4.3/
The AppleTV and Airport Extreme arrived and I've set them up. Despite using a 802.11n router, Netflix kept stopping while the computer on the same network was downloading at the same time (this wouldn't be so much of a problem if I could buy stuff on the AppleTV :| ). I'll have to check out those ethernet over powerline adaptors... or just get a boxee instead. XBMC is a pain to setup and I can't get the remote app on the iPhone to work when using the app. The Apple Remote is irritating, i keep trying to change the volume by pressing the buttons, and it's useless for entering text. The XBMC app is unintuitive and I have had to teach everyone how to use the thing.

How can i turn off the subtitles when watching a video with ATV2 XBMC?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Well, now it shows the Cydia logo, but it still doesn't open. I'm not sure if the problem is with the firmware or Cydia. Firmware still shows up as 4.2.1 when I installed 4.1. I got stuck on the pineapple logo when I tried tethering and had to restart.

Is my only option to restore? I don't remember, how do you back up your calendar, etc.?

Axion22

JB'd my iphone4 last night.

AptBackup is a jerk.
AppBackup barely restored things, but better than nothing.

Can't seem to get MyWi back yet :\

giga

Charred Greyface said:
Actually I misread your post. Errors at this time when trying to access sources probably means the repos are getting hammered from everybody trying to use Cydia after jailbreaking. Wait it out and try again later.

The AppleTV and Airport Extreme arrived and I've set them up. Despite using a 802.11n router, Netflix kept stopping while the computer on the same network was downloading at the same time (this wouldn't be so much of a problem if I could buy stuff on the AppleTV :| ). I'll have to check out those ethernet over powerline adaptors... or just get a boxee instead. XBMC is a pain to setup and I can't get the remote app on the iPhone to work when using the app. The Apple Remote is irritating, i keep trying to change the volume by pressing the buttons, and it's useless for entering text. The XBMC app is unintuitive and I have had to teach everyone how to use the thing.

Tried the Plex client? http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/forum/76-apple-tv-2nd-gen/

v4gr4nt

I bought my 3GS second hand, so anybody knows if I should have any problem with this?

- this version of greenpois0n doesn't include a patched activation system. You'll need to activate your device using iTunes

Is it any different than how redsn0w works?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, MyWi is the only thing I have not been able to install yet.
Cydia/repo issues, I imagine.

saunderez

Charred Greyface said:
Hold the OK button while playing a video to pull up the OSD menu. Go to Audio and Subtitles icon. The options are under there. I recommend disabling subtitles and selecting "Make this the default for all videos", it's easier to enable subtitles when you need them than disabling them every time.

graywolf323

well decided to jailbreak my iPod Touch

outside of the oddity that some of the featured apps are missing the package info :-/ and sadness that wifi sync isn't compatible :-( it seems pretty cool so far

hey guys, is there a FREE lockscreen setup like LockInfo or Intelliscreen?

red shoe paul said:
How's battery on the iPhone 4 after this 4.2 untether?
jailbreaking in and of itself has no effect on battery life. but you can install apps that may adversely affect it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Total n00b here, I JBroke my iPhone 4 on 4.2.1 for the first time yesterday (I'm in Italy, so no need for unlocks here).
Before doing it, I saved my SHSH blobs with TinyUmbrella and its logs said they were also uploaded to Cydia (which seemed weird to me, as I hadn't installed it yet).
When I finally did, Cydia didn't ask me to "make my life easier", and had a green "SHSH: iOS 4.2.1" up in the middle.
Does this mean my blobs are already on the server?

Also, what are you people using, besides iTunes, to transfer stuff from/to your device?

By the way, Backgrounder is AWESOME. Goodbye disconnections from IRC after 10 minutes of background inactivity. Welcome actual multitasking.

Cydia seems to be working properly now...looks like the servers have calmed down a bit, but they're still slow.

Opening folders on the springboard takes 3-5 seconds now. Anybody else see the same behavior?

border

The lock button on my 3G has pretty much ceased to function. Being jailbroken, my phone can get kinda janky and occasionally need a reboot. Is there an app on Cydia or iTunes that will just let me restart the phone without having to use the lock/power button?

rc213

border said:
The lock button on my 3G has pretty much ceased to function. Being jailbroken, my phone can get kinda janky and occasionally need a reboot. Is there an app on Cydia or iTunes that will just let me restart the phone without having to use the lock/power button?

SBSettings does this.

dream

PalaceBrother said:
Cydia seems to be working properly now...looks like the servers have calmed down a bit, but they're still slow.

Opening folders on the springboard takes 3-5 seconds now. Anybody else see the same behavior?

It's not 3-5 seconds for me but there's a definite lag with springboard interaction now. It's really noticeable when I long press into wiggle mode.

Do i have to jailbreak my iphone to import videos that I have on my laptop ?

I cannot seem to be able to transfer the already converted divx movies from laptop to my iphone 4.

It just tells me that this file format does not allow to be played on my iphone...

the movie is in the correct format as I did convert it first so it should play on my iphone.

rc213

robertsan21 said:

I cannot seem to be able to transfer the already converted divx movies from laptop to my iphone 4.

It just tells me that this file format does not allow to be played on my iphone...

the movie is in the correct format as I did convert it first so it should play on my iphone.

What did you use cause Apple is quite specific on the format and options it will accept.

robertsan21 said:

if VLC is still available in the app store, use that. it works.

rc213 said:
It's gone. I'm trying out Azul, Seems decent in the codecs it supports so far for 0.99.
well that sucks. glad I grabbed it while it was hot...but I rarely use it. I prefer to just transcode the videos into m4v. not a big deal for me.

...actually, I prefer to simply connect to my remote computers using Air Video or Streamtome to watch most of my movies on the go now.

Charred Greyface said:

What was so hard with installing xbmc? It was pretty simple especially compared with the jailbreak. Someone already addressed the subtitle issue. That one could even improve if they can get other ir codes working and you use another remote instead. As is, the apple remote is restrictive in options so they did their best to compensate. As far as the remote app, it's disabled until the next official build which they said is coming soon. I'd suggest you try a daily build which has it working but if installing xbmc was hard for you to begin with, you probably should wait.

rc213

cjelly said:
So I can unlock a 3G on latest firmware now? Just need that green poison think? Not interested in JB, just unlock.

I think you would still need to preserve your baseband unless you go with the iPad baseband trick.

border

rc213 said:
SBSettings does this.
Is there an app that only does lock and reboot? Or an app that will let me remove the "Shutdown" button? It's kind of a retarded concern, but I worry about accidentally shutting the phone down if I hit the wrong button. Since the power button isn't working I'd be fucked with no way to power-on the phone (until I get to a USB charger).

Husker86

border said:
Is there an app that only does lock and reboot? Or an app that will let me remove the "Shutdown" button? It's kind of a retarded concern, but I worry about accidentally shutting the phone down if I hit the wrong button. Since the power button isn't working I'd be fucked with no way to power-on the phone (until I get to a USB charger).
I just typed in reboot in Cydia and iReboot app showed up. It doesn't work on my iPhone 4 but might on 3G. Not sure if it doesn't have a power off button. I think that would be hard to find in an app considering any app that has reboot/respring and no power off would seem like it's missing functionality.

Blackhead

Redarse
saunderez said:
Hold the OK button while playing a video to pull up the OSD menu. Go to Audio and Subtitles icon. The options are under there. I recommend disabling subtitles and selecting "Make this the default for all videos", it's easier to enable subtitles when you need them than disabling them every time.
Thanks for the heads up

giga said:
Nice. I prefer the UI, it fits in with Apple's aesthetic better. One interaction Plex gets right, that XBMC doesn't, is using the menu button on the remote; in Plex successive presses of the Menu button takes the user back to the AppleTV 'Home screen' but in XBMC you'll get stuck and have to find the off button (or hold down the Menu button for a while). The Plex server is taxing on my computer though... Anyway, nice to have choices :)

Charred Greyface said:
Thanks for the heads up

Nice. I prefer the UI, it fits in with Apple's aesthetic better. One interaction Plex gets right, that XBMC doesn't, is using the menu button on the remote; in Plex successive presses of the Menu button takes the user back to the AppleTV 'Home screen' but in XBMC you'll get stuck and have to find the off button (or hold down the Menu button for a while). The Plex server is taxing on my computer though... Anyway, nice to have choices :)
What path did you go down? Menu has always taken me up one level with the default skin. It's also skin and user dependent since it's customizable too.

Plex as I understand it is less flexible since you need a server software to be running to convert and serve content. XBMC plays everything natively and has no need for any other software.

LogicStep

Someone help me out please!

I updated to 4.2.1 then did the jailbreak.

I restored everything but SlantedLock is not working right. It works but it won't show the wallpaper I want it to show, it either shows the default one that comes with it or shows a black background if I try to use one of my own pictures. I went into the settings for it to set it so that I can use my own wallpaper but it's not working.

giga

Charred Greyface said:
Ah yeah, noticed that they mimicked the ATV UI in the videos. Plex Media Server is amazing as well. I’m actually not jailbroken yet since I’m waiting for the untether.

Ashhong

What's the best program to take music off of the iPhone onto another computer? Sorry to ask, I'm sure it's been asked before a few times but the thread is huge.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Huh, the Mac and Win versions of greenpois0n have been updated to rc5-b4.
Any details?

Edit - Supports Verizon's iPhone 4.
Wonder what b3 did...

vermadas

So with the new XBMC update for AppleTV2 released that turned on the webserver functionality, I finally got to try out using the remote control app on my Android phone. I never got a chance to do it with the xbox version (if it was possible?). It's really slick. Going to be a much better alternative than the official remote.

I can't wait for them to come out with an ATV jailbreaking release that works untethered. Have crashed XBMC a couple times and it's a pain in the ass to power cycle it.

Sometime this week I want to see if I can get the Hulu plugin working.

saunderez

vermadas said:
I can't wait for them to come out with an ATV jailbreaking release that works untethered. Have crashed XBMC a couple times and it's a pain in the ass to power cycle it.
Why are you power cycling it? If you can still SSH into it you can kill it with

killall AppleTV

dyls

Jailbroken iPad plus AppleTV plus AirVideoEnabler equals wonderful. I've been waiting for this forever.

Sucks that lockinfo is now a pay app. Any usable free alternatives? I wouldn't mind paying but I had a lot of crashes with it back on the 4.0 jailbreak.

Edit: wait, isn't greenpoison untethered for AppleTV too?

Top Bottom