• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

golem

So I have a hacktivated iPhone that doesnt get notifications.. I need to install security certificates or something? Can I copy them over from an ipod I dont use?

Alright. Sick of the limitations of non-jailbroken iPhone.

I have downloaded shit loads of software from app store on my non-jailbroken iphone 3GS, most of which is worth a lot and has a massive filesize e.g. TomTom. If I jailbreak (currently 4.1), do I lose the apps/data/files?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
shagg_187 said:
Alright. Sick of the limitations of non-jailbroken iPhone.

I have downloaded shit loads of software from app store on my non-jailbroken iphone 3GS, most of which is worth a lot and has a massive filesize e.g. TomTom. If I jailbreak (currently 4.1), do I lose the apps/data/files?
Nope. Just be sure to back up before you do it.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Just updated my own 4.01 3GS up to 4.2.1 and finished restoring. I know your pain.

Now, is it normal to have such little storage space in / ?

UMqPA.png

caliblue15 said:
There is a serious problem with the 4.2.1 jailbreak. My battery drains like no other.. what the hell.
Really, even with MyWi my battery is running fine. What iPhone?

I'm running an iPhone 4 and jailbreak on 4.2.1, haven't noticed my battery draining quickly what so ever.

LegoDad

HenryGale said:
Really, even with MyWi my battery is running fine. What iPhone?

I'm running an iPhone 4 and jailbreak on 4.2.1, haven't noticed my battery draining quickly what so ever.
iphone 4 and 4.2.1.. went to bed with 26%, locked it and dead when i wake up... um yeah, hopefully the drain, and full powerup will fix it..

caliblue15 said:
iphone 4 and 4.2.1.. went to bed with 26%, locked it and dead when i wake up... um yeah, hopefully the drain, and full powerup will fix it..
Yeah, that's definitely not normal. My battery life seems to have improved after a restore-jailbreak as it drained while in standby mode prior to this. If the drain-full recharge doesn't work, I'd recommend restoring the phone and then rejailbreaking.

LegoDad

rc213 said:
Did you hacktivate/unlock?

I unlocked, but I use ATT... so unless it is searching for new networks at all times, something was up..

I may just rejailbreak with rc6.

Edit: Based on changelog, no point in that.. may just setup as new phone and just restart... I've had this backup since my 3G....

LegoDad

giga said:
Greenpoision RC6 out now. Still gonna wait for the updated Pwnage Tool.

> Changelog:

- RC6: Apple TV 2 support, fixed emulators compatibility issues with greenpois0n
- RC5.4: Verizon iPhone 4 is now supported !

caliblue15 said:
There is a serious problem with the 4.2.1 jailbreak. My battery drains like no other.. what the hell.

Yep I am also experiencing some battery issues, I miss my 4.1 JB already, is there anyway I can go back? I shouldn't jumped the gun on this 4.2.1 JB.

This is mostly STANDBY time, I had to answer to two quick phone calls which both lasted less than a minute. According to this site STANDBY time on an iPhone 4 should be around "300 hours!!"

Here's me Tracking my Battery (mostly in Standby) for a span of 17 hours, not cool man, not cool!! I want my Battery back!!

79778334.jpg

dream

Yeah, I see intermittent battery problems like that too on my iPhone 4 after going from 4.1 to 4.2.1.

Oh yeah, iBooks. I get a "there is a problem with the configuration of your iPhone. Please restore with iTunes and reinstall iBooks" error when I try to open a purchased book. But that happened to me back when I was using 4.1 too.

Can't say I'm noticing any battery issues.

Sh0k said:
iPad users that have jailbroken with the latest greenpoison, it's true that iBooks doesn't work anymore with any purchased books and that gamecenter is always stuck in sand box mode ?
All working just fine for me.

It's definitely depleting slowly by itself on Standby, I could almost go for two days with regular to minimum phone usage when I was on J.broken 4.1.

I doubt the phone now we last more than 22 hours even just on Standby

Is there a way to go back to 4.1? my Baseband is the latest 3.10.01 but Cydia did say it has my SSH backed up for up to 4.2.2Beta etc.

Or I guess my second option is to start fresh as a new phone ( it's a hassle) even though I got my contacts connected to Outlook etc. and I doubt it will make much difference.

EricHasNoPull said:
It's definitely depleting slowly by itself on Standby, I could almost go for two days with regular to minimum phone usage when I was on J.broken 4.1.

I doubt the phone now we last more than 22 hours even just on Standby

Is there a way to go back to 4.1? my Baseband is the latest 3.10.01 but Cydia did say it has my SSH backed up for up to 4.2.2Beta etc.

Or I guess my second option is to start fresh as a new phone ( it's a hassle) even though I got my contacts connected to Outlook etc. and I doubt it will make much difference.
Your issue is likely the unlock. Just remove ultrasn0w or whatever you used to install e unlock...or just restore 4.2.1 and jailbreak without unlocking.

It's the unlock.

dream

Thing is, I'm not unlocked and this happens to me overnight sometimes too - and I don't have anything in the background that would actually be sapping the battery.

I do have my baseband preserved at 01.59.00 though...dunno if that would have anything to do with it.

dream said:
Yeah, just fire up TinyUmbrella, start the TSS server and install 4.1.

Sorry I've never done this before (Used Tiny Umbrella) I am usually content with my JB and I stay there...

what's the "TSS server"? (Is there a good link?)

And are you sure going back to 4.1 is going to resolve this issue? or it might not even help anymore?

IIRC I used Redsn0W back in July 2010?? to jailbreak the 4.1 firmware.

How do I go about doing this now?

dream said:
Thing is, I'm not unlocked and this happens to me overnight sometimes too - and I don't have anything in the background that would actually be sapping the battery.

I do have my baseband preserved at 01.59.00 though...dunno if that would have anything to do with it.
there has to be something running in the background.

maybe something you installed in Cydia. I think if anyone is having these issues, they should list what they've installed from Cydia so that we can figure out the culprit.

When I go to sleep with my battery at 100%, I wake up and its always between 100%-98%. Without fail.

EricHasNoPull said:
Rogers is my official carrier, I don't have my phone unlocked or even have Ultrasn0w installed through Cydia for that matter.
i see it now. I mistook your post with one of the other posters.

I can only recommend listing what you have installed in Cydia (maybe simple screenshots) to see if we can parse the list. if you're using normal stuff and this is happening, I'd think a simple restore and re-jailbreak would address the issue. but I'd presume that something abnormal is going on that can be addressed.

dream

EricHasNoPull said:
Sorry I've never done this before (Used Tiny Umbrella) I am usually content with my JB and I stay there...

what's the "TSS server"? (Is there a good link?)

And are you sure going back to 4.1 is going to resolve this issue? or it might not even help anymore?

IIRC I used Redsn0W back in July 2010?? to jailbreak the 4.1 firmware.

How do I go about doing this now?

I don't know if going back to 4.1 will help. I'm not going to bother doing it myself just because I hate restoring my iPhone. But if you want to try it out...

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

What you'd want to do is grab Tinyumbrella from there, download a copy of 4.1, then follow the instructions in Tinyumbrella to install a fresh copy of 4.1 to your phone (make sure Tinyumbrella has your SSHs saved). You can just use redsn0w or limerain or whatever to jailbreak it afterwards.

Dreams-Visions: all I have installed is 3G Unrestrictor and SBSettings. And, like I said, this doesn't happen all the time which makes it tricky to try to diagnose. It's not really that big of a deal to me though - I just thought it was kind of weird.

I can't recommend fucking with TinyUmbrella if you haven't done so before. It can get very obtuse if everything isn't perfect. I spent several hours trying to get a phone to work again after trying to use TinyUmbrella. but maybe I'm the only one with that kind of experience.

Dreams-Visions said:
I can only recommend listing what you have installed in Cydia (maybe simple screenshots) to see if we can parse the list. if you're using normal stuff and this is happening, I'd think a simple restore and re-jailbreak would address the issue. but I'd presume that something abnormal is going on that can be addressed.

Well here is everything I have installed in Cydia. These were exact same apps I had while on iOS 4.1 before yesterday and I can assure you guys battery usage/depletion was normal.

As you can see I don't go crazy with Cydia Apps, I just need my essential apps ( 3G Unrestrictor, DisplayOut etc. )

67927064.jpg

91853159.jpg

Dreams-Visions said:
I can't recommend fucking with TinyUmbrella if you haven't done so before...

Yeah I never played around with TinyUmbrella before either, even though I've been jailbreaking my first iphone (2G) since January 2008, I think I am going to stay away from this method unless it's last resort. sounds scary!

Look at this bullshit I lost 3% of my Battery by barely touching my phone!!

65778451.jpg

Probably did nothing more than (slide to unlock to home screen and snap a screen grab!!) during those 45 minutes!

tigerin

hey guys, i just got my sister an iphone 4 to use on t-mobile and she told me that she can't jailbreak it because it has the latest firmware. is there a way to jailbreak it or does she has to wait til someone able to unnock it?

If the iOS firmware is 4.2.1 then YES she can jailbreak it via Greenpois0n RC5_b4 (RC6 now apparently) on Winows or OSX.

if it is anything higher than 4.2.1, then NO I guess not.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sh0k said:
iPad users that have jailbroken with the latest greenpoison, it's true that iBooks doesn't work anymore with any purchased books and that gamecenter is always stuck in sand box mode ?

The Game Center issue is a bug related to the software used to install pirated software, not the jailbreak. This thread, and GAF, are not suitable places to talk about pirating software.

tigerin

so how long do you guys think it will takes til the newest firmware be jailbreak? is there a way for me to downgrade the iphone's firmware?

EricHasNoPull said:
Well here is everything I have installed in Cydia. These were exact same apps I had while on iOS 4.1 before yesterday and I can assure you guys battery usage/depletion was normal.

As you can see I don't go crazy with Cydia Apps, I just need my essential apps ( 3G Unrestrictor, DisplayOut etc. )

67927064.jpg

91853159.jpg
nothing unusual there at all. :-/

only app I've never tried is the DisplayOut app. I'll install it and see if I get any battery life changes.

otherwise, I have everything you're using and my battery life has been unaffected.

dream said:
If it's a brand new iPhone 4, he won't be able to unlock it for her to use on T-Mobile.
Sorry, I didn't realize it was for Unlocking for T-mobile purposes (Should have read better)

Yeah jailbreaking it is possible, but NOT Unlocking it for use on T-Mobile.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tried the new Greenpoison RC6 on my ATV2. Works great, now I'm untethered.

One problem, and someone has already pointed this out on the XBMC forums, the jailbreak seems to screw up SSH on the ATV2. I can still use XBMC and everything else and all the built-in stuff, but I just can't SSH into the box anymore.

Shall I retry to jailbreak my iphone 4 with RC6? (to fix battery issues) or it's not gonna make much of a difference, since RC6 was released only to include Support for ATV2??

eznark

Banned
I feel like my iPad is depleting quicker than normal today, probably in my head though.

I am not really seeing a reason for the jailbreak right now. I was hoping for some widgets but not really seeing any for the iPad.

What am I missing?

eznark said:
I feel like my iPad is depleting quicker than normal today, probably in my head though.

I'm kinda wondering the same, too. Before jailbreaking I'd heard enough warnings about SBsettoings and other SpringBoard changes depleting battery life quicker. I'm wondering if I'm imagining more battery drain being there than there actually is. It has me watching that battery percentage like a hawk.

FerranMG

About these battery problems, exactly the same happened to me a couple of months ago.

I jailbroke my iPhone 4, and everything run absolutely ok, until one day the battery started draining amazingly fast.
I tried to close every single app I had open, and still.

In the end I restored the iPhone and have gone without jailbreak since then, everything fine so far.
Might try again soon, though, I miss SBSettings so much...

Ok So...I restored it to factory 4.2.1 (not jailbreak) had it like that for a few hours.,.and just like the post above me...The Battery obviously behaived but....

couldn't resist so I jailbroke it once again, this time I only "Updated essentials" on Cydia, also decided to not install DisplayOut or AndroidLock. So far So good, now I'm not even so sure if it was actually that bad before.

I think this is all in my head. I'm pretty content with the battery's performance at this point I guess. I will slowly start adding back more Cydia apps every other day, while keeping a close eye on the Battery "meter".

As it's always the case with a freshly jailbroken iPhone with a new to the market (the scene) Jailbreak...skepticism (regarding battery drain) brews in my head!! :p

Stumpokapow said:

One problem, and someone has already pointed this out on the XBMC forums, the jailbreak seems to screw up SSH on the ATV2. I can still use XBMC and everything else and all the built-in stuff, but I just can't SSH into the box anymore.

I think I read that happens when you Jailbreak on top of an existing one. If you do it fresh, it'll fix that. I just restored my Apple TV2 and then rejailbroke it and SSH is fine since I had to reinstall XBMC. If you've got things set up in a way and want to preserve that, just ftp into it and save the directory off so you can restore it afterward.

Stumpokapow said:

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/how-to/how-to-jailbreak-apple-tv-with-greenpois0n-rc6-on-421/

here is a guide, it uses cydia directly to install ssh. tell me how it turns out might do it later but i don't want to fuck up my xbmc set up

I'm having a problem. I decided to upgrade my iPhone 4 to 4.2.1 tonight and try to jailbreak with greenp0ison, however I keep getting this error when trying to do a restore:

error.jpg

First I tried just doing a restore the normal way, but once that didnt work I tried adding 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to the hosts file and doing a shift + restore, but no matter which way I try I still get the same error and my phone seems to be stuck in recovery mode

any ideas on how I can get this thing upgraded?

Blackhead

Redarse
SuicideUZI said:
I'm having a problem. I decided to upgrade my iPhone 4 to 4.2.1 tonight and try to jailbreak with greenp0ison, however I keep getting this error when trying to do a restore:

error.jpg

First I tried just doing a restore the normal way, but once that didnt work I tried adding 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to the hosts file and doing a shift + restore, but no matter which way I try I still get the same error and my phone seems to be stuck in recovery mode

Check if you have the newest version of iTunes.

The battery drain problem is Glassklart/Winterboard and whatever it installs with it. I narrowed it down since I have Make it Mine installed first with no drain problem, then after the Winterboard install, that's when I noticed the problem.

Enzom21

SuicideUZI said:

error.jpg

Are you using Tiny Umbrella? Try the suggestions on this page http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1095072&highlight=blocking

I decided to try to install a fresh install of iTunes on a different computer and tried to restore again and it worked fine, not sure why but i'll take it, now to see if i can get greenp0ison to work

Top Bottom