• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

LegoDad

red shoe paul said:
The battery drain problem is Glassklart/Winterboard and whatever it installs with it. I narrowed it down since I have Make it Mine installed first with no drain problem, then after the Winterboard install, that's when I noticed the problem.

once i power drained, it worked fine. I have winterboard installed and used it for a day and left it on standby for 18 of those hours only to use 16% of the battery. I love it when the battery works like its supposed to.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Pro-Tip: If you're trying to jailbreak an AppleTV with greenp0ison RC6, and can't get it to recognize DFU mode, skip the step where you plug in the power cable. USB will power the appletv on its own, and in some cases, the power adapter will cause DFU mode to not kick in.

Stumpokapow said:
Tried the new Greenpoison RC6 on my ATV2. Works great, now I'm untethered.

One problem, and someone has already pointed this out on the XBMC forums, the jailbreak seems to screw up SSH on the ATV2. I can still use XBMC and everything else and all the built-in stuff, but I just can't SSH into the box anymore.

I had this issue too.. it's not broken, its just delayed on first connect. It took about 30 seconds for the ssh root@10.0.1.12 command to return the "the token is not authorized, would you like to continue yes/No" message.. once it kicked in, all was fine.

seems like ssh is just.. delayed somewhat on first connection.

eznark said:
I feel like my iPad is depleting quicker than normal today, probably in my head though.

I am not really seeing a reason for the jailbreak right now. I was hoping for some widgets but not really seeing any for the iPad.

What am I missing?
for the iPad? not a lot of stuff to get, actually.

I'd recommend grabbing RetinaPad for sure, though. and SBSettings.

jcutner

How the devil can you replace sms ringtones on 4.2.1?

In the past, I've always SSH'd in and went to the System/Library/Audio/UISounds folder and replaced one of the sms-receivedX.caf files with my own (mgs codec, thank you very much) and it played back fine on the phone.

but now, on 4.2.1, when i replace it, the same default sound plays on the phone, even if I *delete* the sms-recieved file OFF the phone.

so either apple has moved them to a different dir, and these are a decoy or something... or I'm at a loss.

So when I did the tethered jailbreak for ATV2 it was a fucking bitch to do. Literally took me 2 hours because DFU wouldn't kick in. Is greenpois0n better because it has less steps or is it the same method but the end product is untethered?

Blackhead

Redarse
Dreams-Visions said:
for the iPad? not a lot of stuff to get, actually.

I'd recommend grabbing RetinaPad for sure, though. and SBSettings.
There are widgets for the iPad. Look up Smartscreen, it's decent:

OYLy3.png

Jailbroke my iPhone 4 with RC6 and it went smoothly, but there seems to be an issue with iBooks. Some books will just bring up a message saying that i need to restore and reinstall iBooks, i tried just deleting and reinstalling iBooks but that didnt help. Anyone know if there is a fix for this?

graywolf323

SuicideUZI said:
Jailbroke my iPhone 4 with RC6 and it went smoothly, but there seems to be an issue with iBooks. Some books will just bring up a message saying that i need to restore and reinstall iBooks, i tried just deleting and reinstalling iBooks but that didnt help. Anyone know if there is a fix for this?

I read somewhere that there is a glitch with RC6 that breaks iBooks

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
graywolf323 said:
I read somewhere that there is a glitch with RC6 that breaks iBooks

Yeah I think some other Gaffers were reporting it too, look a couple pages back.

graywolf323

which do you all think is better? Synchronicity or FreeSync?

I haven't really been able to find much on how they differ (besides price, FreeSync is $1 while Synchronicity is $2)

I have a 3G and still on 3.1.3, is it worth updating to a newer firmware yet for more stuff? Or is there no point going further on a 3G? Which one should I go to if yes?

I wanted to do it awhile ago but I'm a nub and was hesitant to ruin the unlock/jailbreak heh.

hyp

Charred Greyface said:
Oh wow, that doesnt bode well for jailbreakers in their long war with Apple. Otoh, add that to the list of reasons not to use drm ebooks.

yea dumb move on apple. a lot of people that jailbreak are legit users, i don't see how crippling ibooks is going to help their crusade as an e-book provider.

dream

Oops.

If they can do that with iBooks, I wonder what other pieces of iOS they can use to detect a jailbroken phone.

Is there any chance they could release a patch for the iBooks app via cydia to fix it or is it something that if you want a jailbroken phone you aren't going to be able to use iBooks properly period?

hyp

im sure they could patch it... but don't expect it for a looong time. the JB dev community is pretty slow these days.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Meus Renaissance said:
But jailbreaking is legal. I don't understand
legal, but it doesn't mean that Apple has to support all services for compromised devices.

the minute that Amazon or Netflix have DRM checks for jailbreaks, i'll throw a fit.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Ashhong said:
By any chance can I discuss iPod Classic issues in here? Or is there a separate thread for regular old iPod discussion...

What's the problem?

giga

PwnageTool 4.2 out! Incorporates the untether and the fix for iBooks DRM books. 4.3 already has an untether exploit too.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/3314130778/whats-in-a-name

What’s in a name? Well in the case of an HFS volume name on iOS, an untether exploit — as the Chronic Dev Team revealed last week with an untether for the 4.2.1 jailbreak, which had previously been a tethered JB for most recent devices since 4.2.1’s release in November. With their permission, we’ve incorporated their 4.2.1 “feedface” untether into today’s PwnageTool 4.2. This means iPhone unlockers can safely restore to a custom 4.2.1 pre-jailbroken IPSW and retain their current baseband and unlock. PwnageTool also supports all the other 4.2.1 devices other than iPod touch 2G:

iPhone3G
iPhone3GS
iPhone4
iPhone4-Verizon
iPod touch 3G
iPod touch 4G
iPad
AppleTV 2G

PwnageTool also includes two very recent improvements to the 4.2.1 JB: iBooks was just fixed by @comex and @pushfix last night so that it works as intended on DRMed books, and the wifi problem on AppleTV 2G was fixed by @nitotv, @DHowett, and @saurik. Both of these fixes will also be available in upcoming Cydia package updates, so if you’re already jailbroken you can wait for those updates rather than restore and jailbreak again.

The various components to the 4.2.1 untether (including a second exploit involving Mach-o headers) were worked out by 0naj, posixninja, and pod2g, and a nice writeup by 0naj is available on the wiki. The actual injection method uses geohot’s limerain exploit for most devices. And even though 4.3 is just around the corner, the exploit used has already been closed in the latest 4.3 betas, so it made sense for the 4.2.1 untether to be released when it was. It also appears that a security researcher named @i0n1c has a 4.3 untether ready for when Apple releases the final 4.3 FW, so it may not be a long wait at all with 4.3!

hyp said:
yea dumb move on apple. a lot of people that jailbreak are legit users, i don't see how crippling ibooks is going to help their crusade as an e-book provider.

Pretty much. I've only bought two books through iBooks so far, and I'm still in the process of reading both.

After this little misadventure, I can almost guarantee that those will be my final iBooks purchases. Kindle app, you want my business instead?

hyp

yes pwnagetool! fuck you greenpoison!

iBooks was just fixed by @comex and @pushfix last night so that it works as intended on DRMed books, and the wifi problem on AppleTV 2G was fixed by @nitotv, @DHowett, and @saurik. Both of these fixes will also be available in upcoming Cydia package updates, so if you’re already jailbroken you can wait for those updates rather than restore and jailbreak again.

good news for those still on greenpoison. though i'm probably gonna go w/ pwnagetool. something about greenpoison being a beta bugs me.

I am scratching my head here, what's the best app for downloading and watching movies? I'm more looking to watch movies without signal (I.e. Download onto my phone) so I can watch on am airplane.

Also, any way to get mywi or pdanet to not give my xbox a strict NAT?

Major Williams said:
I am scratching my head here, what's the best app for downloading and watching movies? I'm more looking to watch movies without signal (I.e. Download onto my phone) so I can watch on am airplane.

Also, any way to get mywi or pdanet to not give my xbox a strict NAT?

Wat? why in god's name are you using iphone as an internet source, and you know the best app for downloading and watching movies is iTunes Legally.

VALIS

Tried to jb my ipad last night with RC6, it got hung up on a message screen, shit my pants, but powered off and on and the ipad was back to normal. The only reason I want to jb it is because of RetinaPad, but now I'm wondering if it's really worth the trouble. I guess having Grooveshark would be cool, too, but I already have that on my Droid X. I jailbroke my 3GS a couple years ago and that was well worth it, but with the iPad, which is basically just a games/netflix/air video device for me, eh. Not sure if it's worth it.

Does RetinaPad make any difference at all with non-retina games?

Technosteve said:
Wat? why in god's name are you using iphone as an internet source, and you know the best app for downloading and watching movies is iTunes Legally.
I pay $75/month for crappy radio Internet in the boonies when I get faster speeds through my 3G connection. Also really helps when traveling and playing in hotels.

This sucks. I was so pumped for retina pad.

Took a bit to get the jailbreak to finally take.

Damn app doesn't work. I don't know what results you guys have, but my apps looks just as blurry as before. No different what so ever.

HenryGale said:

Damn app doesn't work. I don't know what results you guys have, but my apps looks just as blurry as before. No different what so ever.
woah, that's...not normal.

it should be pretty apparent at 1x zoom.

RS4-

Ugh, so OpenSSH was updated and it still didn't help me. It still randomly forces me to reinstall here and there after a respring; getting a little annoying since I change/edit files within themes or add new ones.

hyp

HenryGale said:

are you sure the app you're running is retina-enabled? try the facebook app as a test.

Major Williams said:
I pay $75/month for crappy radio Internet in the boonies when I get faster speeds through my 3G connection. Also really helps when traveling and playing in hotels.

that that sucks, whats radio internet?

giga

hyp said:
yup. 4.2.1 official firmware and anything below can be JBed.
Only if he has an old bootrom device right? New bootrom devices will check if the firmware is still signed with Apple and he’lll need his blobs saved.

hyp

giga said:
Only if he has an old bootrom device right? New bootrom devices will check if the firmware is still signed with Apple and he’lll need his blobs saved.
you are probably right. i just assumed he would update to official firmware and then JB. sorry i may have I interpreted his question wrong.

Top Bottom