• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Ashhong said:
There almost never is.

However I have seen reports of MMS not working, but also seen plenty of successful jailbreaks.

Is the springboard slow on the official 4.2 firmware? My JB'd springboard takes a few seconds to open folders and to refresh the progress (on the scrubber) through a song when I re-enter the iPod app.

OmniOne

Great King Bowser said:
Just updated my own 4.01 3GS up to 4.2.1 and finished restoring. I know your pain.

Now, is it normal to have such little storage space in / ?

UMqPA.png

What is this SBSettings theme and where/how can i get it?!

Quick question for you guys as I'm taking off on a roadtrip in about an hour and I don't have time to look it up myself unfortunately.

What's the procedure for updating both of my following devices?

iPhone 4 on 4.1 jailbroken

iPhone 3GS on 4.0.1 jailbroken

Is the best way (only way?) of keeping Cydia apps still aptbackup?

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to mention the 3GS is unlocked and needs to stay unlocked

Pachimari

Hmmm... I am thinking of spending my weekend jailbreaking my iPhone 4 all over again. If I restore the phone in iTunes and then update it to 4.2.1 (the latest firmware), will I be able to jailbreak it again?

Husker86

Great King Bowser said:
My SBSettings theme is just called iPhone OS Theme.

So can anyone answer if having that small amount of storage space is normal?

Which iPhone do you have?

That storage is just the OS partition I believe. My iPhone4 has like 330MB.

So if I buy an atv2 and jailbreak it, and install xmbc...... Can I only stream from my mac? Or any network drive.
Also will xbmc play avi and mkv????
Cheers.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Husker86 said:
Which iPhone do you have?

That storage is just the OS partition I believe. My iPhone4 has like 330MB.

32gb 3GS. I swear it's been getting smaller and smaller each time i've updated and rejailbroken. Like there's still leftovers from previous OS/jailbreak installs.

giga

DefectiveReject said:
So if I buy an atv2 and jailbreak it, and install xmbc...... Can I only stream from my mac? Or any network drive.
Also will xbmc play avi and mkv????
Cheers.
Any network drive.

Yes.

markatisu

Ashhong said:
There almost never is.

However I have seen reports of MMS not working, but also seen plenty of successful jailbreaks.

Yeah I jailbroke mine and my wifes Verizon iPhones on 4.2.6 and everything is working smooth as ever.

iBooks had some issues if you used the first version of greenpoision 6 but they have since fixed that.

Pachimari

Is Greenpoison.com down for anyone else?
I'll try to download the latest RC and jailbreak my iPad, didn't have any success with it before.

Cheers for the replies.
Hulu will be a no no as I'm in the UK unless there's a funky way around it.

Cool. ATV ordered. Amazon have them at £78 currently if anyone is interested.(usually £99-£101)

Has a Windows port for pwnage tool 4.2.1 been released yet? Or how else can I update and jailbreak (untethered) a 3GS without upgrading the baseband using Windows?

It sucks, but I've decided to get rid of Winterboard. Everything worked really well until I upgraded to 4.2...everything about the thing was brutally slow.

Glad to have my speed back but I miss my Buuf2 theme :|

PalaceBrother said:
It sucks, but I've decided to get rid of Winterboard. Everything worked really well until I upgraded to 4.2...everything about the thing was brutally slow.

Glad to have my speed back but I miss my Buuf2 theme :|
Get FolderEnhancer and turn on the experimental setting to cache icons. Made the theme I was using stop running like shit.

xnipx

UtadaBarkley said:
Here's the latest and greatest jailbreak tweak to appear on the scene. It's called MobileNotifier, and it brings much better push notifications to the iPhone.

The thing I like about this is that it doesn't remove focus from your current app. You can still work while the notification is displayed. Brilliant!

Can't go back to stock now...

http://www.jailbreakmovies.com/2011/02/27/mobilenotifier-push-notifications-done-right/
Notified Pro with the Grip mod is better.

RDreamer

So, I was getting kind of angry with app crashes and my phone running slow, so I wanted to update to 4.2.1 and then re-jailbreak using greenpois0n. I got everything restored and ready, and then followed the instructions on greenpois0n's program, and the phone pretty much died. I had to completely restore and redo everything in a huge like 3 hour process. I then tried again. Same thing seems to be happening. What am I doing wrong? I have a 3GS, and I'm using a mac to do this. I have the phone off and plugged in when i start greenpois0n. I follow the instructions. Why is it basically killing my phone? I don't want to have to use this thing non-jailbroken.... I've become way too used to lockinfo.

Edit: Derp, I think I found my problem... I'm on an iphone 3G. How can I jailbreak a 3G with 4.2.1?

RS4-

RDreamer said:
So, I was getting kind of angry with app crashes and my phone running slow, so I wanted to update to 4.2.1 and then re-jailbreak using greenpois0n. I got everything restored and ready, and then followed the instructions on greenpois0n's program, and the phone pretty much died. I had to completely restore and redo everything in a huge like 3 hour process. I then tried again. Same thing seems to be happening. What am I doing wrong? I have a 3GS, and I'm using a mac to do this. I have the phone off and plugged in when i start greenpois0n. I follow the instructions. Why is it basically killing my phone? I don't want to have to use this thing non-jailbroken.... I've become way too used to lockinfo.

Edit: Derp, I think I found my problem... I'm on an iphone 3G. How can I jailbreak a 3G with 4.2.1?

ultrasnow? You have to check your baseband but I think 3g iphones are easily unlocked. So if you thought you had a 3gs but really had a 3g, I'm guessing you were loading the wrong FW as well?

RDreamer

RS4- said:
ultrasnow? You have to check your baseband but I think 3g iphones are easily unlocked. So if you thought you had a 3gs but really had a 3g, I'm guessing you were loading the wrong FW as well?

I knew I had a 3G. I'm just dumb and didn't know that greenpois0n didn't work on 3G's. I'm trying Pwnage tool now. I think it's working. At least it seems like it so far.

I'm hoping things run better now. I was getting so many app crashes it wasn't even funny. I'd have to open facebook or something 4-5 times before it would finally open. It would take upwards of 3-4 minutes to open some apps because of this. But I kept at it for a while because I really loved lockinfo and I didn't want to lose it.

Edit: Yep, pwnage tool worked pretty well. And I was really happy to see that my lockinfo kept the info of me buying it and apparently my RSS settings. Weird, but cool. And now this thing is working like an absolute dream compared to what I was putting up with. It feels like I upgraded the phone's hardware or something.

Pctx

Banned
IMO, PwnageTool is still the king. Greenp0ison would never properly JB my phone while trying to get into DFU mode. Still sour about the inability to unlock the phone especially with an international trip coming up this summer. Hopefully Ultrasn0w comes out with an updated unlock once 4.3 hits.

Husker86

Pctx said:
IMO, PwnageTool is still the king. Greenp0ison would never properly JB my phone while trying to get into DFU mode. Still sour about the inability to unlock the phone especially with an international trip coming up this summer. Hopefully Ultrasn0w comes out with an updated unlock once 4.3 hits.
By that time I really think we'll have an updated unlock. I mean, they can only say "update coming soon, holding on to exploit" for so long. Well, they could say it forever but it really makes no sense; updates will always be on the way.

LegoDad

Husker86 said:
By that time I really think we'll have an updated unlock. I mean, they can only say "update coming soon, holding on to exploit" for so long. Well, they could say it forever but it really makes no sense; updates will always be on the way.

4.3 tomorrow? please please please.

LegoDad

enzo_gt said:
Held off upgrading to 4.2.1 for this. Hope a jailbreak comes out on thr 11th, perhaps even before.

Hoping for unlocks for new basebands, hoping that will help my recent horrible coverage.

caliblue15 said:
Hoping for unlocks for new basebands, hoping that will help my recent horrible coverage.
could have my issue, on att, but after jb i have to unlock to even get att signal, if i reset the phoneI have to uninstall and reinstall ultrasnow 2-3 times to get it to work again

LegoDad

GodfatherX said:
could have my issue, on att, but after jb i have to unlock to even get att signal, if i reset the phoneI have to uninstall and reinstall ultrasnow 2-3 times to get it to work again

i get signal, just really low inside my house. I'm on the top floor, never had issue before. Unlocked, didn't do jack, my battery was running out quick. Will wait for 4.3 to rejailbreak. Still think the 4.2.1 jailbreak was crappy, had alot of issues i never had before.

I'm stuck using my iPhone as my main music player for awhile, and I can't stand not being able to pause songs without taking the device out my pocket. Is there any jailbreak solution where I can pause through some sort of usage of the volume buttons?

Dez

butter_stick said:
I'm stuck using my iPhone as my main music player for awhile, and I can't stand not being able to pause songs without taking the device out my pocket. Is there any jailbreak solution where I can pause through some sort of usage of the volume buttons?

you can buy a cheap headphone adapter controller that has the main button on it.. which you can use to pause/play/skip forward/back etc.

Dez said:
you can buy a cheap headphone adapter controller that has the main button on it.. which you can use to pause/play/skip forward/back etc.
I'm only doing this until a new Zune charger cable shows up, so it seems silly to pay for that. Thanks though, didn't even know they existed.

*edit* found something, Volume Media Settings on Cydia. Up and down skip tracks, up then down quickly pauses it. You can't make it resume without getting the phone out and pressing play, but it's a step up.

LegoDad

lol. Att is charging $20 for hotspot 2gb and $45 for 4GB. lol.

This is why people jailbreak their phones. I already have a data plan, I shouldn't pay twice, double dipping...

caliblue15 said:
lol. Att is charging $20 for hotspot 2gb and $45 for 4GB. lol.

This is why people jailbreak their phones. I already have a data plan, I shouldn't pay twice, double dipping...

What's a good app for this in Cydia?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I just checked how much date I used since getting my iphone 4 replaced. Thank you Att for letting my keep my unlimited plan.

LogicStep

smokeymicpot said:
I just checked how much date I used since getting my iphone 4 replaced. Thank you Att for letting my keep my unlimited plan.
I have unlimited also, but I heard it isn't really unlimited but a 5gb cap, is this true?

Top Bottom