• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
When iOS 4.3 releases and a 4.3 jailbreak comes out, I'd like someone else to start a new Jailbreak thread.

There are a few reasons for this:
1) The OP of this thread requested himself to be banned for a very long time shortly after creating it, which sucks for updates
2) With a new firmware comes new questions and a shiny new OP would make things nice and easy. The links in the OP are quite old at this point.

Requirements:
- Make sure your OP covers how to jailbreak (and unlock, if an unlock is available) 4.3 on all devices. If you want to cover other stuff, that's cool, but I personally like OPs that are not too cluttered with thousands of random little links.

- Make sure you yourself actually jailbreak something. If you don't own an Apple device, don't make this thread. If you don't jailbreak, don't make this thread. You don't need to own every iOS device (although enough people here do that it wouldn't be an onerous requirement), but you need to own at least one that is jailbreak. In other words, you need an incentive to keeping the thread updated yourself.

- Make sure that you are willing to update things for at least a few months. For example, this is not appropriate if you are going to do this.

I'll post this request again when the 4.3 Jailbreak comes out, but if you want dibs post here in advance.

Axion22

Stumpokapow said:
When iOS 4.3 releases and a 4.3 jailbreak comes out, I'd like someone else to start a new Jailbreak thread.

There are a few reasons for this:
1) The OP of this thread requested himself to be banned for a very long time shortly after creating it, which sucks for updates
2) With a new firmware comes new questions and a shiny new OP would make things nice and easy. The links in the OP are quite old at this point.

Requirements:
- Make sure your OP covers how to jailbreak (and unlock, if an unlock is available) 4.3 on all devices. If you want to cover other stuff, that's cool, but I personally like OPs that are not too cluttered with thousands of random little links.

- Make sure you yourself actually jailbreak something. If you don't own an Apple device, don't make this thread. If you don't jailbreak, don't make this thread. You don't need to own every iOS device (although enough people here do that it wouldn't be an onerous requirement), but you need to own at least one that is jailbreak. In other words, you need an incentive to keeping the thread updated yourself.

- Make sure that you are willing to update things for at least a few months. For example, this is not appropriate if you are going to do this.

I'll post this request again when the 4.3 Jailbreak comes out, but if you want dibs post here in advance.

I think I meet the minimum requirements, but I don't have any experience with baseband stuff. Also, my newsy items come from here, others are more in-the-know about who to follow on twitter and such. So I'm not the most qualified, but I can handle updates for however long, I don't plan on going anywhere.

Ignignort

I thought about it a little while back and started to write up some stuff, but as above have no knowledge of basebands.

Happy to help out with graphics and logos if anyone needs them

timnich

Every since I updated to 4.2.1jailbreak my iPhone 4 has slowed to a crawl. Anyone else experiencing this? I dont have too many cydia apps either so I don't know what could be the issue. I'm holding out until 4.3 is jailbroken, but I have the same issue I'm going back to 4.1, which IMO has had the best performance on the iPhone yet

timnich said:
Every since I updated to 4.2.1jailbreak my iPhone 4 has slowed to a crawl. Anyone else experiencing this? I dont have too many cydia apps either so I don't know what could be the issue. I'm holding out until 4.3 is jailbroken, but I have the same issue I'm going back to 4.1, which IMO has had the best performance on the iPhone yet

I had the same problem. I turned off Summerboard/Winterboard and it sped right up again. Someone on this page suggested a theme optimizer through Cydia, but I didn't want to pay for it to test...

I'm not too knowledgeable about jailbreaking but I want to know wether baseband 03.10.01 is unlockable at the moment (iOS 4.2.1).

If I change down to an older version of iOS (4.1 for example) will that change my iPhone 4's baseband so it is available for unlocking?

Blackhead

Redarse
ashbash159 said:
I'm not too knowledgeable about jailbreaking but I want to know wether baseband 03.10.01 is unlockable at the moment (iOS 4.2.1).

If I change down to an older version of iOS (4.1 for example) will that change my iPhone 4's baseband so it is available for unlocking?
No, there is no publicly available unlock for baseband 03.10.01 atthe moment.

Downgrading the firmware (iOS 4.2.1 to iOS 4.1) will not downgrade the baseband. There is no tool for downgrading the baseband, for the iPhone4, that I am aware off.

I'd be willing to help out, or write the OP, for a new jailbreak thread. I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 that I'd like to unlock and I'm not going to switch platforms until summer at the earliest. I don't have an iPad but I'm considering picking up one.

Charred Greyface said:
No, there is no publicly available unlock for baseband 03.10.01 atthe moment.

Downgrading the firmware (iOS 4.2.1 to iOS 4.1) will not downgrade the baseband. There is no tool for downgrading the baseband, for the iPhone4, that I am aware off.

I'd be willing to help out, or write the OP, for a new jailbreak thread. I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 that I'd like to unlock and I'm not going to switch platforms until summer at the earliest. I don't have an iPad but I'm considering picking up one.
I've had a little look around the internet and I found somewhere where it says people will be able to unlock 03.10.01 once iOS 4.3 is released to the public on March 11.

Link here: http://www.iphone4jailbreak.org/unlock-03-10-01.html

Blackhead

Redarse
ashbash159 said:
I've had a little look around the internet and I found somewhere where it says people will be able to unlock 03.10.01 once iOS 4.3 is released to the public on March 11.
Yeah that's what we are expecting (there is a link to a tweet by the developer of the unlock on the previous page). Still, there is nothing publicly available at the moment

Just did my first jailbreak on iPhone 4 4.2.1 using Green Poison on Mac. MMS seems to not be working now between my wife and I but is with my friend. Any ideas? Only thing I've installed so far is SBSettings and Infinifolders.

*edit: It turns out I can send and receive messages just fine, it's my wife that can't, and she's never jailbroken. We did change our texting plan last week so I guess I'll have to call AT&T today.

LogicStep

Question, is there anything that will give the phone the android pass lock screen (where you swipe a pattern for the pass code) to the iPhone that WON'T stay up always. The problem is that I use Slanted Lock and I tried using some of the android locks on Cydia but the pattern thing stays up at all times on the lock screen and blocks out Slanted Lock so it makes it look all ugly.

markatisu

BolognaSoup said:
Just did my first jailbreak on iPhone 4 4.2.1 using Green Poison on Mac. MMS seems to not be working now between my wife and I but is with my friend. Any ideas? Only thing I've installed so far is SBSettings and Infinifolders.

Have you tried resetting network settings?

Some people have got it to work clearing out their old SMS, updating Cydia, and doing a fresh setup of the phone

zazrx said:
Question, is there anything that will give the phone the android pass lock screen (where you swipe a pattern for the pass code) to the iPhone that WON'T stay up always. The problem is that I use Slanted Lock and I tried using some of the android locks on Cydia but the pattern thing stays up at all times on the lock screen and blocks out Slanted Lock so it makes it look all ugly.
Have you checked out "Andoidlock XT" on Cydia? The "XT" version cost money like a buck fifty ($1.50) I believe, there's also regular "Andrioidlock" that's free. You might want to try the free version first, see it meets your needs.

I use "Andoidlock XT" it's fully customizable and works great, great way to impress your other (non jailbroken) iPhone owning friends who are paranoid about the privacy and security of their iPhone and always use the standard iPhone's four digit numerical lock. :p

For some reason I can't connect to Cydia to create an account to buy apps. Every time I try to connect with my google account it times out and says something about the network timing out or something. Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?

Fusebox

Banned
Lolol, was just about to rejailbreak to put MyWi back on and I realised I don't need it anymore with 4.3.

I had a good run with MyWi, didn't mind paying $10 for it but now we must part...

Mairu

Fusebox said:
Lolol, was just about to rejailbreak to put MyWi back on and I realised I don't need it anymore with 4.3.

I had a good run with MyWi, didn't mind paying $10 for it but now we must part...
So the personal hotspot thing doesn't require paying for tethering or anything? Damn, maybe I'll update. I was going to wait for jailbreak as I've had it jailbroken since 4.1 and haven't even updated for the 4.1 jailbreak, but if personal hotspot works like mywi and also doesn't require me paying the tether monthly fee then maybe I'll just go back to official.

Mairu said:
So the personal hotspot thing doesn't require paying for tethering or anything? Damn, maybe I'll update. I was going to wait for jailbreak as I've had it jailbroken since 4.1 and haven't even updated for the 4.1 jailbreak, but if personal hotspot works like mywi and also doesn't require me paying the tether monthly fee then maybe I'll just go back to official.

I read that most providers charge a premium for tethering?

ari

Banned
Mairu said:
you still have to pay $45 dollars for the 4gb plan from at&t. ;/

oh, and 4.3 is already jailbroken....just tethered though.

Mairu

ari said:
you still have to pay $45 dollars for the 4gb plan from at&t. ;/

oh, and 4.3 is already jailbroken....just tethered though.
haha, nevermind, jailbreak it is, I'm not paying a monthly fee to actually be able to use my data plan :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Fusebox said:
It doesn't cost anything in Australia, not sure about the US or UK though.
Three in the UK is free, and they also have unlimited data on their smartphone plans these days. (hello redundant iPad2 3G model) :)

I think they're the only carrier that currently supplies either for free.

Axion22

Husker86 said:
I think most don't, as their plans are already limited. AT&T just hates us.

Verizon also charges for tethering, calling it an "optional add-on feature" - but it doesn't include phone data like AT&T's data plan does, and they're not trying to force you off Unlimited to get it, but that's because they never had an unlimited data plan (iirc).

Pctx

Banned
Is the personal hotspot wep/adhoc or wpa finally? One drawback of MiWi IMO.

I would love to have an upgrade to that if it really works with wpa.

Husker86

Axion22 said:
Verizon also charges for tethering, calling it an "optional add-on feature" - but it doesn't include phone data like AT&T's data plan does, and they're not trying to force you off Unlimited to get it, but that's because they never had an unlimited data plan (iirc).

Yeah I should have said American wireless carriers hate us.

Pctx

Banned
giga said:
gotcha...

So really it's just whether or not I want to wait for the 4.3 untethered JB or just buy that and be done with it.

You use it Giga? I'm just curious if it works well with PS3.

giga

Pctx said:
gotcha...

So really it's just whether or not I want to wait for the 4.3 untethered JB or just buy that and be done with it.

You use it Giga? I'm just curious if it works well with PS3.
I've used it in the past, but obviously not in 4.3 since I rely on an unlock and untether. ;)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Why is jailbreaking harder than it should be? I've only been successful one out of three attempts. I find all sorts of different tutorials each time with a new firmware that comes out. It's such a pain.

Mairu

ICallItFutile said:
Why is jailbreaking harder than it should be? I've only been successful one out of three attempts. I find all sorts of different tutorials each time with a new firmware that comes out. It's such a pain.
I haven't bothered with 4.2 yet, but I never had any problems with 4.1 or jailbreaking 3.x

markatisu

ICallItFutile said:

jailbreaking is pretty much standard across the board (plug in your unit, put it into DFU and then run the program whether its pwnage tool, greenpoison, whatever)

its getting the unit into DFU mode that is the massive pain in the ass imho

By now though almost every method is pretty simple

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
markatisu said:
jailbreaking is pretty much standard across the board (plug in your unit, put it into DFU and then run the program whether its pwnage tool, greenpoison, whatever)

its getting the unit into DFU mode that is the massive pain in the ass imho

By now though almost every method is pretty simple

It still isn't as simple as updating PSP CFW. I think redsn0w is what I've used most, but I've seen pwnagetool and another program recommended. You can also have the tethering issue. And on top of that, you can follow the steps exactly and it still won't work. Last time I jailbroke I was able to get some features but not Cydia to work. I could have restored and tried again, but I didn't want to lose all my calendar information and backing that up seemed like even more work.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm loving 4.3 unjailbroken! Got my orientation lock back on my iPad and wireless tethering on my iPhone, the only JB feature I'll miss is Frash, and I can live without that.

Edit: I'm using the 4.3 tether right now on a train, it seems to be noticably quicker than MyWi but that might just be the 4.3 safari improvements.

eznark

Banned
I'm sure it's been answered but do I have to do anything before updating to 4.3 standard from 4.2 jailbroken or can I just update?

Blackhead

Redarse
eznark said:
I'm sure it's been answered but do I have to do anything before updating to 4.3 standard from 4.2 jailbroken or can I just update?
It's usually recommended that you restore to the new firmware, not upgrade, when going from jailbreak to stock. That aside, I can't think of anything else. Don't forget to backup first.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
jambo said:
Any word on whether the 4.3 untethered JB will work with iPad 2?
Inevitably yes, but since no one has an iPad 2 in their hands, no one knows if apple has more anti-jailbreak measures up their sleeve that could delay a jailbreak for months.

Blackhead

Redarse
Untethered Jailbreak To Be Delayed Until Apple Releases iOS 4.3.1 To Public

Permanent iPhone 4 Unlock Solution In Works [sic] !

As we all know by now, the exploit which iPhone Dev Team, including MuscleNerd and Sherif Hashim, thought would work to unlock iPhone 4 on 2.10.04, 3.10.01 and 4.10.01 basebands unfortunately turned out to be a no-show in the end.

But all is not lost as the Dev-Team is now said to be working hard on a new exploit (originally made by Geohot three years ago) that could possibly unlock iPhone 4 forever.

The following FAQ (courtesy of Vincent) will help answer most of your questions related to this new permanent iPhone 4 unlock exploit.

Since there is a lot of confusion out there, and since I’m repeating myself all the time (which I do not really like), I made this little write up of questions that are continuously being asked (my personal FAQ). Please not that this is a global explanation. Don’t try to argue with me on specific details.

1. What happened?! I thought the unlock for basebands 02.10.01 & 03.10.01 would be released within the next 2 weeks?

As you know the Dev-Team (MuscleNerd) have been working on the unlock for quite a while now. They were making great progress on the unlock, but they found out that they (accidentally) unlocked "one particular SIM card" instead of the baseband itself. Which means that the unlock would only be an unlock you could use with MuscleNerd’s T-Mobile SIM. So, useless. If the unlock would unlock the baseband instead of "the SIM", it’d probably be out within 2 weeks (reasonable timeframe which they had hoped). But things turned out to be different. Basically these <2 weeks predictions were a lack of information.

2. What is this NCK-key cracking? How does it work?

The NCK-key is the key generated by Apple if you’d officially unlock you iPhone, and with officially I mean, via your carrier. This "NCK-unlock" method is known over a few years now, actually since geohot started working on unlocking the iPhone 2G. He developed a program that could "crack" this 15 digits long key and unique for every device. Geohots NCKBF program could do around 100,000 keys/second which would produce a hit in many years, or complete a search in 317 years. To get to a point where this is actually doable we would need many orders of magnitude of improvement. Even if you use a PS3 (would we still want to use this??) or special hardware (within 1,000 US$ range) you will only get an improvement of 20-100 times.. which doesn’t help much.

Now, luckily, with the exploits they have now, they can’t unlock your baseband, but they *can* capture more information from the baseband to speed up this cracking process. Since the NORID and CHIPID (unique for every device) are known, you’d apparently only have to check 40 more bits (5 digits). A 40 bits key is theoretically crackable on "home hardware" within a week (24/7). The downside of this approach is that you’ll have to keep your computer turned on, and your iPhone has to be connected. And that is the reason why they never tried it before. Please note that this method is completely theorical and has been NOT tried at all till this moment.

3. Now what? Should I sell my locked iPhone 4?

I’d wait for more information on this "NCK-unlock". Right now it’s pretty vague what timeframe we’re talking about. If the Dev-Team can pull this method off, it’d be very promising for those waiting for an unlock. If this method turns out to be not doable, I’d consider selling your iPhone 4 and save up for a factory unlocked iPhone 5.

4. Do you think there is every going to be an unlock?

Of course. But that’s unlikely to be any time soon (with soon being <1 month).

5. If the NCK method fails, how long do you think it will take for the Dev-Team to unlock the iPhone 4?

No ETA at all. Could be a few weeks, but it could easily be a few months as well.

As always, we will keep you updated ! Stay tuned for more!

Not looking good. I'd switch if I could.

Dazzla

My apple tv became borked and I needed to restore. I hadn't backed up my blobs so I had to restore to 4.3. Sucks because it was my XBMC machine used daily.

I have an iPad with XBMC and airvideoenabler but there's no way to throw XBMC video to the apple tv via airplay apparently. Seems like I'm stuck waiting for a 4.3 windows based jailbreak.

Top Bottom