• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Dazzla

Charred Greyface said:
It's usually recommended that you restore to the new firmware, not upgrade, when going from jailbreak to stock. That aside, I can't think of anything else. Don't forget to backup first.
This is similar to what messed up my apple tv. I had originally jail broken it with seasonpass on a mac (tethered). I attempted to back up my blobs with tiny umbrella but just couldn't get it to connect so I just attempted to use green poison (windows) to make it an untethered jailbreak. It appeared successful but was stuck on the apple logo when booting.

Luckily I'd backed up my XBMC prefs before hand but it's still annoying being without XBMC.

Dazzla said:
My apple tv became borked and I needed to restore. I hadn't backed up my blobs so I had to restore to 4.3. Sucks because it was my XBMC machine used daily.

I have an iPad with XBMC and airvideoenabler but there's no way to throw XBMC video to the apple tv via airplay apparently. Seems like I'm stuck waiting for a 4.3 windows based jailbreak.

Couldn't you have just done a shift-restore and manually loaded the 4.1.1 ipsw? I thought the blobs was for downgrading. I screwed up an iPad after 4.3 came out and was able to easily restore to 4.2.1 since I had the ipsw file already.

giga

9H6Nr.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Charred Greyface said:
iPad 1? Yes. It's a tethered jailbreak
Damn. Oh well, I may do it, anyway. Not a big deal to tether an iPad when compared to an iPhone.

Splinter

I'm trying to jailbreak my almost brand new Iphone 4 (4.2.1) with Greenpoision RC6.1, but it keeps failing when the iphone screen goes white. It just says failed and says to try again. Anyone know why? Also I get notificatiosn of apple drivers being installed every time, at about the same time it fails, if that's related somehow...

Also, did anyone notice a decrease in battery life after jailbreaking?

Malleymal said:
wait they jailbroke the IPAD2 already?

Yeah, it looks that way and to make it even more impressive apparently apple implemented hardware changes that got rid of the hackers old exploits. The iOS hackers never cease to amaze me.

dream

Malleymal said:
wait they jailbroke the IPAD2 already?

I think that's a picture from Comex. Which means we'll hear about how the jailbreak is coming for the next 2 months before he ends up saying "can't burn an exploit! we're just gonna wait for 5.0."

Dazzla

Marty Chinn said:
Couldn't you have just done a shift-restore and manually loaded the 4.1.1 ipsw? I thought the blobs was for downgrading. I screwed up an iPad after 4.3 came out and was able to easily restore to 4.2.1 since I had the ipsw file already.
I tried doing that first but it was failing when "verifying with apple". From what I understand that's because they are no longer signing the old firmware. Does that sound right? Either way, it's done now.

Now that I have an iPad, I'm going to jailbreak my iPhone so I can tether using MyWi. I would prefer to use native tethering (but not so much as to pay the amount AT&T is asking) though and wonder if it's possible for a carrier settings hack to enable it.

LegoDad

Captain Nemo said:
Now that I have an iPad, I'm going to jailbreak my iPhone so I can tether using MyWi. I would prefer to use native tethering (but not so much as to pay the amount AT&T is asking) though and wonder if it's possible for a carrier settings hack to enable it.

there is a settings hack.

Sarye

Captain Nemo said:

using tetherme will allow you to do that.

rc213

Dazzla said:
I tried doing that first but it was failing when "verifying with apple". From what I understand that's because they are no longer signing the old firmware. Does that sound right? Either way, it's done now.
If you had cydia installed then you have the SHSH on their server. Use tinyumbrella TSS server to point iTunes to cydia for firmware signing when you Shift+Restore.

Dazzla

rc213 said:
If you had cydia installed then you have the SHSH on their server. Use tinyumbrella TSS server to point iTunes to cydia for firmware signing when you Shift+Restore.
I have cydia installed on the ipad with blobs backed up, presumably they are unique to devices though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dream said:
I think that's a picture from Comex. Which means we'll hear about how the jailbreak is coming for the next 2 months before he ends up saying "can't burn an exploit! we're just gonna wait for 5.0."

Of course if he didn't do that, 5.0 would come out and 10,000,000 internet randoms would be yelling "where's the new sploit? u guys r noobs!!!!"

Husker86

Stumpokapow said:
Of course if he didn't do that, 5.0 would come out and 10,000,000 internet randoms would be yelling "where's the new sploit? u guys r noobs!!!!"
But there is always going to be an update on the way.

Blackhead

Redarse
Stumpokapow said:
Except there is no guarantee that Apple won't close the 'secret' exploit when 5.0 rolls out anyway. For all the waiting we've been doing for the past 6 months it only resulted in ~4 weeks of an untethered jailbreak then Apple released 4.3 and it's back to the same old. As Geohot would say, the back and forth between jailbreaks and the Apple security team is all in the game. After all the complaints about Geohot burning exploits turned out to be moot as new exploits were found.

Dartastic

Dartastic said:
Really, really weird thing happening right now. My jailbroken phone was working just fine, then it literally was not responding to pretty much anything happening, at all. I couldn't see the screen, or anything. Battery was fine. I just plugged it in, and suddenly the screen is SUPER dim, and I can't really tell what the heck is going on. I see the rotating "thinking" thing like it's booting up. It seems to be syncing, but... not really. WHAT DO I DO. HELP.

edit - omfg now it's not showing up in itunes and the screen is bright and it just shows the apple symbol omgggggggg

....okay it's back in itunes but still omggggggggggg

OH GOD IT'S BACK UP BUT IN SAFE MODE. WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED. SCARY.

OH GOD IT'S BACK UP NORMAL STATUS. SO SCARY I MIGHT REVERT BACK TO NORMAL IPHONE 4.3 BUT I LOVE BITE SMS SO MUCH 0-0

QUOTING AND REPOSTING FROM IPHONE 4 THREAD. OH GOD IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN. PHONE ISN'T DOING ANYTHING. IT'S JUST BLACK AND AUUUUGHHHH SCARY. FUCK THIS. SOMEONE HELP. It just tried to update in iTunes then it said it couldn't. Oh man. It's back. Fuck this. I'm going to 4.3 I think. This is just too scary. Someone let me know wtf has just happened.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Dartastic said:
QUOTING AND REPOSTING FROM IPHONE 4 THREAD. OH GOD IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN. PHONE ISN'T DOING ANYTHING. IT'S JUST BLACK AND AUUUUGHHHH SCARY. FUCK THIS. SOMEONE HELP. It just tried to update in iTunes then it said it couldn't. Oh man. It's back. Fuck this. I'm going to 4.3 I think. This is just too scary. Someone let me know wtf has just happened.
valium.jpg

Dartastic

But like, it gets to the point where it won't respond at all. Like, the phone seems DEAD. Black screen, not responding to anything. It'll see what is going on when it's plugged in, but the phone seems completely non-responsive.

Dartastic

When I do that, NOTHING happens. Like, the screen remains black. iTunes recognizes it, but even then nothing seems to happen. It's really scary, as it seems to only come back randomly because it feels like it. Phone is working now, but this is the second time in a couple days, and this time it was worse. I want to make sure that I can figure out what's going on, that way if I need to take it to an Apple store I can revert it to 4.3 and at least get a new phone instead of being shit out of luck.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dartastic said:
When I do that, NOTHING happens. Like, the screen remains black. iTunes recognizes it, but even then nothing seems to happen. It's really scary, as it seems to only come back randomly because it feels like it. Phone is working now, but this is the second time in a couple days, and this time it was worse. I want to make sure that I can figure out what's going on, that way if I need to take it to an Apple store I can revert it to 4.3 and at least get a new phone instead of being shit out of luck.
Try plugging into a different USB port or a different computer. Sounds absolutely retarded and like it wont do anything, but it actually worked for me once.

Splinter

I installed an app via installous, after it downloaded and installed some strange blank app icons appeared on my screens, "iOS feild test" and "diagnostics" was one of 3, along with a Winterboard icon that I have disabled. I clicked one and some low res menu screen came up, the became high res. At the top corner where the signal strength bars are, negative numbers replaced them (-103). I turned my phone off and back on again and they where gone.

Anyone know what happened?

found pic on google:

field-test.jpg

Splinter said:
I installed an app via installous, after it downloaded and installed some strange blank app icons appeared on my screens, "iOS feild test" and "diagnostics" was one of 3, along with a Winterboard icon that I have disabled. I clicked one and some low res menu screen came up, the became high res. At the top corner where the signal strength bars are, negative numbers replaced them (-103). I turned my phone off and back on again and they where gone.

found pic on google:

Need some help. Trying to jailbreak my 4.3 iphone 4 using the latest beta of sn0wbreeze. It took my file just fine and booted into dfu mode. However, when I shift-click the restore button in itunes, and try to load the custom firmware it made, itunes says "the iphone "iphone" could not be restored because the firmware file is incompatible"

Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong?

hEist

The_Inquisitor said:
Need some help. Trying to jailbreak my 4.3 iphone 4 using the latest beta of sn0wbreeze. It took my file just fine and booted into dfu mode. However, when I shift-click the restore button in itunes, and try to load the custom firmware it made, itunes says "the iphone "iphone" could not be restored because the firmware file is incompatible"

Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong?

delete the old custom firmware and make a new one.
also itunes up-to-date?

hEist said:
delete the old custom firmware and make a new one.

I've overridden it a few times to no avail using the wizard gui.

I guess I need to physically delete it and retry?

Edit:

Yes, I used apple update and checked a while ago.

hEist

The_Inquisitor said:
I've overridden it a few times to no avail using the wizard gui.

I guess I need to physically delete it and retry?

yes, you should. then reboot and make a new one.

Splinter said:

found pic on google:

field-test.jpg

these are apple "hidden" program's. nothing interesting. respring/reboot.
and btw. buuuh @installous....

So I realized as I rebooted my issue. After booting back up confirmed it. I downloaded the firmware for the iTouch 4G instead of the iPhone 4.

Sigh.... Will update shortly.

Sorry for the long list of posts.

Phone is jailbroken and syncing. However, iTunes tells me my firmware is old and can't sync some items. It is sycning my music just fine, but doesn't appear like it will sync any of my apps. Any idea what i've done wrong?

border

Is there a simple app that will allow me to change the Text Message Alert Tone? I really have no idea why Apple allows custom ringtones, but forces everyone to use the same handful of text tones...

LegoDad

border said:
Is there a simple app that will allow me to change the Text Message Alert Tone? I really have no idea why Apple allows custom ringtones, but forces everyone to use the same handful of text tones...

tonefx

allows you to change any tone on the phone.

Winterboard allows you to change tones, not as easily and change themes on phone.

Dez

Has anyone successfully jailbroken their iphone 4 with ios4.3? I know it's a tethered jailbreak, but I'm fine with that. Any link to instructions?

hyp said:
looks like AT&T is cracking down on mywi tethering. =[ fuck.

http://bit.ly/g6xkoz
atttext.png

So lame. I've was using it a lot lately with my Internet being down too. I wonder how they can tell? Shouldn't MyWi just make it look like normal traffic? Man to think I was hoping to get a WiFi only tablet and use the phone for tethering.

Mairu

Marty Chinn said:
So lame. I've was using it a lot lately with my Internet being down too. I wonder how they can tell? Shouldn't MyWi just make it look like normal traffic? Man to think I was hoping to get a WiFi only tablet and use the phone for tethering.
Skimming through the post on modmyi it seems like only really heavy users are getting the message (one guy said he's gone through 165GB of bandwidth one month, that's insane for mobile internet)

Mairu said:
Skimming through the post on modmyi it seems like only really heavy users are getting the message (one guy said he's gone through 165GB of bandwidth one month, that's insane for mobile internet)

Yeah, there are some crazy people there, one guy was using his iPhone so that he could play his ps3 online.

Top Bottom