• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Mairu said:
Skimming through the post on modmyi it seems like only really heavy users are getting the message (one guy said he's gone through 165GB of bandwidth one month, that's insane for mobile internet)

Ya, I just finished reading that thread. That guy with 165GB is nuts. Although, I did read someone who currently is only at 9GB, which while a decent amount, I wouldn't say is a lot if you watch Netflix a few times a month. The other theory is that they could be sniffing packets to see the destination. It's really up in the air. Fortunately, I stopped tethering as my main form of net access on Tuesday but it'll be interesting to see how this moves forward so I can know what's safe and what's not. I don't use tethering often, but it is quite handy when I need it. It'll be even more useful when I have a tablet and I take it somewhere.

Husker86

Copernicus said:
Question:

Is it possible to tether to an Android phone via USB tether after jailbreaking?
I wouldn't think so since Android would need USB modem drivers. Just my guess but I'd think WiFi is the only way.

Edit: I'm wrong or misunderstood the question.

LogicStep

So out of nowhere BiteSMS is not working, the quick reply thing on the lockscreen... I just hear the noise that I have a text but I get no notification or quick reply window...

markatisu

Marty Chinn said:
Ya, I just finished reading that thread. That guy with 165GB is nuts. Although, I did read someone who currently is only at 9GB, which while a decent amount, I wouldn't say is a lot if you watch Netflix a few times a month. The other theory is that they could be sniffing packets to see the destination. It's really up in the air. Fortunately, I stopped tethering as my main form of net access on Tuesday but it'll be interesting to see how this moves forward so I can know what's safe and what's not. I don't use tethering often, but it is quite handy when I need it. It'll be even more useful when I have a tablet and I take it somewhere.

We recently went on a trip and I used the iPhone to provide internet with mywi, over 3 days we used about 400mb

So I would think the general population is not going to be hit with any problems, its the morons using it to provide regular net service to their house that should get nailed.

That 165gb is just insane, I am not sure I even use close to that on my DSL lol

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
i have a 3g with 4.2.1( ipad baseband) jb. it keeps shut down when i play a game and the only way to restart it is to have it plugged in. anyone else have the same problem ?

Mairu said:
Skimming through the post on modmyi it seems like only really heavy users are getting the message (one guy said he's gone through 165GB of bandwidth one month, that's insane for mobile internet)
wow, that's just abusing the system.

I hate it when people do this. It ruins it for everyone. Hopefully they'll really only police the chronic abusers, then. I use maybe 200MB/month via tethering (mostly at airports) and hotels that don't have wifi for free. Never enough for a $10 charge above what I'm already paying to make sense...but I still like to have it available.

also, is the 4.3 jailbreak still tethered.

RS4-

Ugh, still having issues with my wifi dropping in and out and not being able to connect when it does lose the connection. Sometimes I have to respring, sometimes I have to forget all the network stuff, sometimes I have to switch to another app that uses the net; for example if it drops the connection while I'm on twitter, I have to switch to mail to reacquire the signal.

I might just go to apple and exchange it. It doesn't help that I get only one bar for some reason at home compared to my old 3g which gets three and keeps the wifi connection in my kitchen whereas the iphone 4 can't detect it.

Will do a clean wipe and then install 4.3 when the untethered break is released.

LegoDad

RS4- said:
Ugh, still having issues with my wifi dropping in and out and not being able to connect when it does lose the connection. Sometimes I have to respring, sometimes I have to forget all the network stuff, sometimes I have to switch to another app that uses the net; for example if it drops the connection while I'm on twitter, I have to switch to mail to reacquire the signal.

I might just go to apple and exchange it. It doesn't help that I get only one bar for some reason at home compared to my old 3g which gets three and keeps the wifi connection in my kitchen whereas the iphone 4 can't detect it.

Will do a clean wipe and then install 4.3 when the untethered break is released.

I've had issues as well in other areas, going to do a clean 4.2.1 lose all my apps, etc, see if it fixes the issue.

LJ11

Need to unlock my phone (iphone 4) to use it overseas (Europe). Can you guys point me in the right direction? Seems like the OP is outdated, and I have no idea where to start. Did a google search but there seem to be a bunch of options. All I want to do is unlock it.

rc213

LJ11 said:
Need to unlock my phone (iphone 4) to use it overseas (Europe). Can you guys point me in the right direction? Seems like the OP is outdated, and I have no idea where to start. Did a google search but there seem to be a bunch of options. All I want to do is unlock it.
To unlock it you will need to have a specific baseband and jailbreak it. What firmware and baseband are you on?

LJ11

rc213 said:
To unlock it you will need to have a specific baseband and jailbreak it. What firmware and baseband are you on?

Are these the only basebands it will work on?

04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04, 06.15.00, or 01.59

I'm on 4.2.1. Did some searching and 06.15.00 only works with 4.2.1 correct?

Anyone using Notified Grip w/ Notified Pro? They had an update that added all sorts of customizing but at the same time the now default look is different. I liked how it looked before so does anyone know how to get it back to the way it was? Sort of annoyed I upgraded at the moment.

rc213

LJ11 said:
Thanks for the help rc/giga!
Np. Modem Firmware is what's important because only 1.59.00 is currently unlocked for iPhone 4 with the latest being worked on with no timetable.

rc213

redsn0w+PwnageTool using @i0n1c's 4.3.1 untether (except iPad2) are on track for Funday release (USA time)

Finally, Will still need to wait for sn0wbreeze to implement since I need to preserve baseband.

Dez

Marty Chinn said:
Anyone using Notified Grip w/ Notified Pro? They had an update that added all sorts of customizing but at the same time the now default look is different. I liked how it looked before so does anyone know how to get it back to the way it was? Sort of annoyed I upgraded at the moment.
Haha. I have the same problem. It's too hard to get it to look good now, so I uninstalled it.

LegoDad

rc213 said:
Finally, Will still need to wait for sn0wbreeze to implement since I need to preserve baseband.

you dont need snowbreeze to preserve baseband just use tinyumbrella when you update your phone.

Phoenix

Stumpokapow said:
Of course if he didn't do that, 5.0 would come out and 10,000,000 internet randoms would be yelling "where's the new sploit? u guys r noobs!!!!"

Most of these guys are waiting for 5.0 so they use the exploits they know about on the new OS. They don't want to blow their wad on 4.x since we're all expecting pretty major changes in the 5.x OSes.

Dez said:
Haha. I have the same problem. It's too hard to get it to look good now, so I uninstalled it.

I think I got it back to the original look if you're interested. Here's what you gotta change:

Set Background Image to On
Set Background Image to Orgional
Under Font Setup, Set the Red, Green, and Blue Sliders all the way to 255 each
Under Font Setup, set both Header Font and Body Font to AppleGothic
Turn Font Shadow to Off
Under Choose Delete Icon, set it to Origional

I believe that sets everything back to the way it was.

giga said:
Fuck yes today will be a good day. Apple TV supported as well.

What does 4.3 add to the AppleTV? I know they changed the API which caused XBMC to need to change how they handle video which caused it to not work for a bit, so I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading at the moment even though they fixed that issue.

giga

Marty Chinn said:
What does 4.3 add to the AppleTV? I know they changed the API which caused XBMC to need to change how they handle video which caused it to not work for a bit, so I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading at the moment even though they fixed that issue.
nhytg

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4448

rc213 said:
It's out, If you need to unlock stay away until they release a update to ultrasn0w. =c
Q: Will 4.3.1 function on 01.59.00 if I don't need to unlock?

A: It will function but you'll see just 1 bar of signal strength be reported (even though your actual signal strength may be larger). It won't affect your calls, just how strong you think the signal actually is :) We'll fix that either with ultrasn0w or some separate package (or both).

fyi for everyone looking to preserve their baseband.

rc213

Dreams-Visions said:
Q: Will 4.3.1 function on 01.59.00 if I don't need to unlock?

A: It will function but you'll see just 1 bar of signal strength be reported (even though your actual signal strength may be larger). It won't affect your calls, just how strong you think the signal actually is :) We'll fix that either with ultrasn0w or some separate package (or both).

fyi for everyone looking to preserve their baseband.

I'm 3GS not 4.

If you need or want to download 4.3.1 here you go guys:

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Firmware

numble

Cydia lands advertising deal with Toyota:
9sRuT.jpg

XAxH3.jpg

http://www.9to5mac.com/59148/iad-ri...ore-cydia-lands-advertising-deal-with-toyota/

Car manufacturer Toyota is reportedly running adverts in the Cydia store to promote their iPhone user interface theme, also distributed through the store. The adverts and the theme are part of Toyota’s advertising campaign for the 2011 Scion tC vehicle

I wonder how much money Cydia makes. I know Rock Your Phone had $3.3 million in sales before Cydia bought them out.

aeiko

Banned
themes taken a step further now with 'dreamboard'.... bye bye winterboard :)

here's one i got earlier today...no respringing... nothing required.. just install and use. dreamboard is out on cydia, and you can check out modmyi.com for more themes like these.

img0253n.png

img0254h.png

img0255.png

img0257.png

img0258.png

redsn0w isn't working for me.
I put my phone into DFU mode, it reboots and then in one of the next stages the redsn0w program always freezes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
aeiko said:
themes taken a step further now with 'dreamboard'.... bye bye winterboard :)

here's one i got earlier today...no respringing... nothing required.. just install and use. dreamboard is out on cydia, and you can check out modmyi.com for more themes like these.
Another case of "looks kind of-sorta good but will impede my actual efficiency in using my phone."

Oni Jazar

Applying redsn0w right now and it's stuck on "Uploading ramdisk" for a very long time. like 6 mins now.

edit: NVM XP SP3 compatibility mode worked.

Top Bottom