• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Erebus

Lately I've been getting a "size mismatch" error whenever I try to update any of my apps on Cydia. Anyone know how to resolve this?

giga

Seems like a good time to ask this. I've always restored my phone as a new one whenever there's a new update.

Would restoring from backups (backups from a jb'd/unlocked phone) be fine after I restore a custom IPSW from Pwnage? All it does is restore your phone's data right and not install a new IPSW? Just worried about my baseband/unlock.

dream

giga said:
Seems like a good time to ask this. I've always restored my phone as a new one whenever there's a new update.

Would restoring from backups (backups from a jb'd/unlocked phone) be fine after I jailbreak again? All it does is restore your phone's data right and not install a new IPSW? Just worried about my baseband/unlock.

Yup, restore from backup doesn't update iOS. I've restored a 4.1 backup onto a freshly jailbroken 4.2.1 (with my baseband preserved) and I'm still on 01.59.00.

giga

dream said:
Yup, restore from backup doesn't update iOS. I've restored a 4.1 backup onto a freshly jailbroken 4.2.1 (with my baseband preserved) and I'm still on 01.59.00.
Awesome, thanks!

Oni Jazar

DarkUSS said:
Lately I've been getting a "size mismatch" error whenever I try to update any of my apps on Cydia. Anyone know how to resolve this?

I had that earlier today, went to lunch tried again and it worked. Could be the servers are getting hammered.

-viper-

Banned
I have a 4.2.1 iPhone 4.

How do I jailbreak? Should I update to 4.3.1 and then download the 4.3.1 Jailbreak, or should I just do the 4.2.1. Green Poison JB?

jts

...hate me...
First time I'll jb my iPad. I can already imagine dirty things involving emus and controllers.

btw. Is it possible to pair a DualShock 3 with it instead of a wiimote?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
hongesagatame said:
So is there anything except retina pad that would make me want to jailbreak my ipad?
Winterboard, SBSettings, LockInfo/Alternatives to LockInfo, the list goes on. Jailbreaking allows you to make maximum use of your device, and the amount of things you tweak, or what you tweak is all dependent on your preferences. Generally if you feel your lacking or want more functionality or aesthetics, you would jailbreak.

I'm correct in assuming that I need to update to 4.3.1 before doing the jailbreak, right? I have the ipsw for 4.3.1 used for redsnow, but I forget if I need to actually update before jailbreaking or not.

dyls

hongesagatame said:
So is there anything except retina pad that would make me want to jailbreak my ipad?
NoLockScreen

It will make you realize that the only reason there's a lockscreen on the iPad is for parity with the iPhone. I have not once had my iPad wake up accidentally since eliminating it. And even if I did, it's not like it's going to call someone. The worst that happens is I lose 10% of the battery, which is nothing.

The lockscreen is completely useless and obnoxious once you get used to not having it.

jts

...hate me...
dyls said:
NoLockScreen

It will make you realize that the only reason there's a lockscreen on the iPad is for parity with the iPhone. I have not once had my iPad wake up accidentally since eliminating it. And even if I did, it's not like it's going to call someone. The worst that happens is I lose 10% of the battery, which is nothing.

The lockscreen is completely useless and obnoxious once you get used to not having it.
I'd never thought of that, but duuude, spot on. Even the smart cover lock/unlock proves your point. This is a very similar experience.

I wish that tweak would make the unlocking sound though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DeathbyVolcano said:
I'm correct in assuming that I need to update to 4.3.1 before doing the jailbreak, right? I have the ipsw for 4.3.1 used for redsnow, but I forget if I need to actually update before jailbreaking or not.
Yes, you need to update via iTunes first.

Also, I'm willing to help write or make the new Unlock/Jailbreak |OT| after my exams end (Sunday) if someone is willing to help write up the Unlock portions, because I'm not so knowledgeable with such, as I've never needed it.

Majine

Banned
The Glasklart theme is beautiful, but I'm missing some important icons, like Facebook and stuff. Can I download that? The Cydia Store is somewhat confusing to me.

rc213

Majine said:
The Glasklart theme is beautiful, but I'm missing some important icons missing, like Facebook and stuff. Can I download that? The Cydia Store is somewhat confusing to me.

Did you grab the one with like 3000 icons already in it?

Name of package: Glasklart Classic 4.0 - 6600+ icons!

Majine

Banned
rc213 said:
Did you grab the one with like 3000 icons already in it?

Name of package: Glasklart Classic 4.0 - 6600+ icons!

Nah, I grabbed the one that said Glasklart HD, since I have an iTouch 4, figured it made a difference on the retina display.

le sigh, I always end up getting my phone stuck on its restore during jailbreaking procedures. Tried to update, forgot that Apple has a security check for jailbreaking now, so I'm trying to get back to my initial back up from earlier today. Itt's a pain.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
dyls said:
NoLockScreen

Yes. Nolockscreen is fucking beast. The lock screen on the iPad is completely worthless like you say,and I don't miss it.

giga

DeathbyVolcano said:
le sigh, I always end up getting my phone stuck on its restore during jailbreaking procedures. Tried to update, forgot that Apple has a security check for jailbreaking now, so I'm trying to get back to my initial back up from earlier today. Itt's a pain.
You sure you don't have tiny umbrella installed which changed your hosts file?

Decado

Is an iPhone4 a good phone for someone who is new to smartphones?

Trying to decide between this and an android device.

Blackhead

Redarse
Decado said:
Is an iPhone4 a good phone for someone who is new to smartphones?

Trying to decide between this and an android device.
Yes. Taking into account the ecosystem around the iPhone, it's the best smartphone available today. I'd suggest a WP7 device next, before an Android phone, for anyone new to smartphones.

giga said:
You sure you don't have tiny umbrella installed which changed your hosts file?

Hm, actually, yes, I do. I remember using it to maintain my SHSH blobs or whatever. It's not on my phone, if that's what you're asking?

Hi GAF... I'm currently on a jailbroken 4.1 (through limera1n).

How do I update to the latest jailbroken version without losing anything? Is 4.3.1 untethered?

giga

DeathbyVolcano said:
Hm, actually, yes, I do. I remember using it to maintain my SHSH blobs or whatever. It's not on my phone, if that's what you're asking?
Check your hosts file. iTunes can't connect to Apple's servers because Tiny blocks it using the hosts file.

rc213

superfly said:
Am I in a position to go from 4.01 on baseband 05.13.04 to 4.3.1 and maintain baseband/unlock?

If so, how?

No not yet, Still need a update to ultrasn0w for compatability with older basebands. Once it's out you can use pwnagetool/sn0wbreeze to create a custom firmware that will not update the baseband and then jailbreak.

DeathbyVolcano said:
Oh man I'm fucked aren't I.

Explain your current situation a bit more.

Okay, well. I have four saved SHSH files in TinyUmbrella: one for 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.2b3, and one for 4.3. I tried updating to 4.3 the regular way through iTunes from 4.2.1 (stupid I know) and now I'm in infinite recovery mode. I tried reinstalling iTunes, restoring, restore from backup, etc, but no go. Soooo....yeah.

rc213

DeathbyVolcano said:
Okay, well. I have four saved SHSH files in TinyUmbrella: one for 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.2b3, and one for 4.3. I tried updating to 4.3 the regular way through iTunes from 4.2.1 (stupid I know) and now I'm in infinite recovery mode. I tried reinstalling iTunes, restoring, restore from backup, etc, but no go. Soooo....yeah.

Open up TinyUmbrella, Start the TSS Server and Open iTunes and do the Shift+Restore to 4.2.1.

But before you try that I assume it went through and installed 4.3.1 to completion but never booted up afterwards? Try this: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/2011/03/fixrecovery-updated-43-supported.html

Wait, it did work! I'm on 4.3.1 now. Obviously no jailbreak stuff. So I should be able to restore all my contacts and stuff from previous back ups, correct? Or should I jailbreak it again first?

giga

DeathbyVolcano said:
That didn't work, rc. It finishes the executable but then it just boots into an emergency call interface.
I still say just do a stock ipsw restore in iTunes without tinyumbrella since I'm assuming you don't rely on an unlock. Restore your hosts file and kill tiny first so iTunes can connect to Apple's servers.

Edit: ok nvm you got it.

rc213

DeathbyVolcano said:
Wait, it did work! I'm on 4.3.1 now. Obviously no jailbreak stuff. So I should be able to restore all my contacts and stuff from previous back ups, correct? Or should I jailbreak it again first?

Sorry for the late reply you can do it either way but usually you want to restore from a backup first to get your apps and contacts on the iPhone.

Mairu

It'll be easier in the future if you migrate all your contacts & calendar to google instead of relying on iTunes backups. You'll have an online backup and a way to view/edit your contacts off your phone and then if you ever have to wipe your phone again for jailbreak/whatever it's just as simple as reconnecting your phone to Google

A.R.K

So I just upgraded to iPhone 4 and was pissed off that ATT would not unlock my older 3g model so I can give it my sis overseas. This is just plain bullsh*t and the worse part is that they even locked the Wifi usage!!!! WTF
Can you guys help me with jailbreaking it and unlock it? I am on iOS 3.1.3 with baseband 5.13.04. I tried to follow some tutorials but after I restored it to the jailbreak 3.1.3 my iphone would just stay on the apple logo and keep rebooting (I used sn0wbreeze v1.4). I have restored it back to 3.1.3 finally and it at least boots up now. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Right now im on 4.2.1 jailbroken with greenpois0n. I am wondering if there is a way to update to 4.3.1 and jailbreak without having to do a restore and lose everything? Would I be able to just use itunes and let it upgrade normally and then use redsn0w to jailbreak, or does redsn0w handle the upgrading part also? Should I edit my host file to go to sauriks server or does it not make a difference?

rc213

A.R.K said:
So I just upgraded to iPhone 4 and was pissed off that ATT would not unlock my older 3g model so I can give it my sis overseas. This is just plain bullsh*t and the worse part is that they even locked the Wifi usage!!!! WTF
Can you guys help me with jailbreaking it and unlock it? I am on iOS 3.1.3 with baseband 5.13.04. I tried to follow some tutorials but after I restored it to the jailbreak 3.1.3 my iphone would just stay on the apple logo and keep rebooting (I used sn0wbreeze v1.4). I have restored it back to 3.1.3 finally and it at least boots up now. Please help! Thanks in advance.
By locked the wifi do you mean it's stuck at the Emergency Call Screen? You can use a old att sim to get past that screen.

To update a 3G to 4.2.1 while preserving the baseband you will need pwnagetool on Mac or sn0wbreeze on windows to create a custom 4.2.1. I can walk you through it once I am back on my pc tomorrow if you still need help.

A.R.K

rc213 said:
By locked the wifi do you mean it's stuck at the Emergency Call Screen? You can use a old att sim to get past that screen.

To update a 3G to 4.2.1 while preserving the baseband you will need pwnagetool on Mac or sn0wbreeze on windows to create a custom 4.2.1. I can walk you through it once I am back on my pc tomorrow if you still need help.

No its not locked at the Emergency screen. The ATT sim is deactivated and phone shows no carrier signal. But I can navigate the UI, look at settings etc. When I go to wifi settings it won't display any networks at all. Current iOS is 3.1.3 and 5.13.04 baseband. I want to jailbreak it and unlock it to custom 3.1.3. Don't want 4.0+ on it since 3g is too slow to handle it.

I would appreciate if you can help me out.

rc213

Never heard of AT&T locking the wifi. I have heard of the glitching and cutting out. You can try resetting the network settings or doing a hard reset.

Top Bottom